Archinect
anchor

Archinect, please boycott Israel (its about time!)

CD.Arch
We're rac
Jul 23, 14 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
CD.Arch
We're racist because we don't have the same opinion as you?
Jul 23, 14 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
CD.Arch
Xian, don't feel bad, this is what Tammuz has been like the whole time.
Jul 23, 14 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

1950s - your opinion is different than mine. You're a communist, end of argument, blacklisted.

Today - your opinion is different than mine. You're a racist and you'll be shouted down until you admit you're wrong. 

Trolls live on comments and "debate." When we stop feeding it, it will eventually go back to it's sad existence or find a new outlet to spam.  

Jul 23, 14 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

what are the palestinians trying to gain by launching rockets into israel?

is the goal to gain some sort of public support if they can incite israel into violent action?  i think it sounds like orhan and tammuz seem to be trying to build support along those lines, though tammuz gets a bit crazy.  do the palestinians have any leadership that supports peace and reconciliation?  someone like ghandi or even mandela?  escalating conflicts between israel and the gaza strip have become fairly predictable, and it doesn't seem to work out too well for the palestinians.

what i've seen here on archinect is a pretty radical view that the palestinians should have the right to kill as many israelis as they can (not the arab israelis as much), but the israelis do not have the right to defend themselves.  i don't think that sentiment is going to gain a lot of support, except among those who want to target a specific group of people for revenge or just general hatred.

of course some of you also think the israeli government is the 4th reich.  jewish nazis.  well done. 

Jul 23, 14 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
xian

Whoa, wait a minute, Tammuz called for a boycott on Israel, not me. I'm pointing out the one sidedness of his position.

One could say that Israel needs to be more sensitive to civilian casualties, but you have to remember that they are fighting people that have openly stated their intention to wipe them out – Israel has to go 16-0 every season just to survive. You can't sit down and negotiate with people who don't acknowledge your right to exist, you have to fight them, and you have to win.

Jul 23, 14 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

there is this, from tammuz, 7/22, 5:46

“Is it an irresponsible overstatement to associate the treatment of Palestinians with this criminalized Nazi record of collective atrocity? I think not.

and whatever this means, from the 21st at 7:44pm

Zionism and Nazism share the same germanic romanticism-idealism foundation, the same rooting in a pseudo-science of race

come on quondam, there is no end to tammuz's insanity.  of course he's going to try to compare the jews currently living in israel to nazis.

didn't orhan have a blog post up a few minutes ago?  I can't find it now.  someone was talking about sitting in on one of orhan's design crits, and someone linked a post from tammuz from back in like 2007?  that one had the good stuff in it.  i'm sure tammuz said a couple times that the palestians had the right to keep bombing israel until there was no israel left.

Jul 23, 14 4:51 pm  · 
 · 

curtkram, didn't your grandma had testicles few minutes ago? Maybe you should call her grandpa.

Jul 23, 14 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
xian

Quodam – two state solution. Palestinian sovereignty in the West Bank and Gaza. Israel has agreed to this numerous times. The problem is that too many Palestinians think like tammuz and prefer to keep blowing shit up, thinking that it will some how get rid of Israel and get them a one state solution.

Jul 23, 14 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

orhan, she did not, and i have no knowledge of what happened to that other post.  it could have all been in my imagination.  i apologize if brought bad feelings into the debate (while i know there are a lot of bad feelings, i was trying to avoid making the problem worse; i did not mean that to be an attack against you if that post was deleted)

Jul 23, 14 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
CD.Arch
Wait wait wait... So, to wrap up this thread up in one single analogical rhetorical question... So your neighbor keeps breaking the windows to your home, throwing rocks, smashing your mailbox, spray painting your house, insulting and/or hitting your wife, killing your pets and then bringing it to shooting. You have even called the police (the world) but they won't help because of your beliefs. Would you continually take it?

As much as some of you would like to believe you might do differently, there comes a time when your neighbor can't fuck with you any longer and you retaliate.
Jul 23, 14 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

CD, aren't both sides involved in the rock throwing?  it starts with one small rock, probably an accident or a misunderstanding, and the other retaliates with a bigger rock, then the the first gets an even bigger rock, until things really get out of hand.

imho, that's when nonviolence and forgiveness become a practical/ strategic/ tactical matter rather than just being a nice person.  you may think that's not a valid response in this case, but historically it has proven to sometimes be effective.

if ghandi tried to raise an army against the british, they would have killed him, and it would have been quick.  nonviolence was the better option in his case, because it made victory possible.  of course if your goal is simply revenge, or to wipe your enemy off the face of the earth, then 'victory' can't be defined in the terms ghandi used, or mandella, or leaders like them.

Jul 23, 14 5:42 pm  · 
 · 

in day 14 over six hundred palestinians dead and the number climbing many of them women and children, thousands of gazans are homeless and some creatures here are still talking about palestinians blowing things up. let alone  t a m m u z's informative posts, do this creatures read newspapers? don't you have a little humanity left in you? what is the point of turning the words around to prove t a m m u z or myself are wrong while the whole world knows what is going on there, frame by frame?  

Jul 23, 14 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
CD.Arch
That is a good point, but if we look at the history of the very culturally diverse Middle East I do not believe that peaceful resolutions are found there very often. I believe that between Palestine and Israel there have been attempts at a nonviolent answer, however because those two have such brewing conflicts both sides have picked a fight. And now it is truly showing who does have the superior force.
Jul 23, 14 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
CD.Arch
Orhan, just for the record I do not agree with the mass killing of those civilians. However it is a fight that was predominantly picked by the Palestinians. If the Palestinians didn't want this to happen they could have avoided it to the best of their ability. Israel has proven to be patient. Until now, Palestine had done most of the rock throwing.
Jul 23, 14 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

orhan, i can only speak for myself, but I don't read tammuz's posts, and i don't consider you and him to be the same person.

if it was possible for the palestinians to stop israel's attacks by not launching rockets or grenades, then shouldn't they at least consider that a viable option?  or, if they were able to relocate the women and children in time to avoid their deaths, which it sounds like in some cases they are, then wouldn't it be reasonable to consider that as at least a possible course of action to reduce the casualties?

of course i agree that israel should stop killing people, and i believe the palestinians should all be allowed to live in peace with the same right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness that everyone should have.  i think it sucks that those are being denied to them, and even if the palestinians were to attempt to limit their casualties by stopping their retaliation/defense and move their civilians to more protected locations, it would not gain them the rights they deserve.  it would limit their casualties though right?  that might be a good thing.

Jul 23, 14 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
CD.Arch
We are boycotting an idea, people! It has power, but not as much as a boycott of say, their income. If that "regime" is as thick headed as the rest of us their mind isn't gonna be changed one bit. Not unless they have something to gain. And a boycott of Israel on an architectural website is definitely not the answer. Tammuz took this to the wrong place.
Jul 23, 14 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
CD.Arch
Tammuz is pushing for a boycott of the idea of not supporting Israel in any way, when us not tangibly doing something isn't going to change whether they are attacking Palestine or not. It's a non-physical boycott. Perhaps idea was not the best word to use there.
Jul 23, 14 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Could someone explain to me why  do they have all these concrete reinforce tunnels?

I personally hate tunnels, caves, caverns, mine shafts.  What the heck is going on with those from the Palestine view point?

Jul 23, 14 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

so, to proceed somewhat methodically: 

1- its an established fact that Zionism is colonial: 

colonialism  (kəˈləʊnɪəˌlɪzəm) 

— n

Also called: imperialism  the policy and practice of a power in extending control over weaker peoples or areas

Vladimir Jabotinsky, one of the founding fathers of the Zionist movement, wrote in 1923:

Zionism is a colonizing adventure and therefore it stands or falls by the question of armed force. It is important to build, it is important to speak Hebrew, but, unfortunately, it is even more important to be able to shoot–or else I am through with playing at colonization.2

2- It is an established fact that Zionists, coming from all around the world (firstly from Europe and Russia)  except Palestine , kicked a huge number of Palestinians off their own land in order to establish their presence on the lands of other people with the support of the British colonial power at the time of its creation. 

3- Its an established fact that Zionism wishes to create a Jewish state which includes, in the minimum, all of historical Palestine and that this implies that all non-Jewish residents, and primarily the Palestinian amongst them,  will be deemed at best second-class citizens...and at most, undesirables to be ghettoized, incarcerated and expelled (which is Israel's desired solution).

4- The history of Israeli massacres committed against Palestinians is so disproportionately larger than violence going the other way (whether we now see it, within this point solely, ias credible self-defense or not) to the extent that, if we merely assign blame by the scale and degree of violence, death, demolition of houses, forced incarceration, pollution and restriction of water, near starvation, etc....that arguing that there is even an equivalence or shared responsibility (to what degree shared, what is the percentage of this share, as Quondam has pointed out), arguing suchlike implies one of three things: the person arguing that way is either unable to rationally draw conclusion, is ignorant and brainwashed or is decidedly pro-Zionist and has an active interest in the oppression of the Palestinians. 

5- Logic is largely based on cause and effect. We understand a consequence given its context and the run of events around and before it. Considering that there is indeed violence being committed against Israel (for the moment, forgetting whether it is justifiable or unjustifiable), one poses the question: why? There are some, here, who start suggesting, as LITS4Formz and xian did, that there is something indemic within the Palestinians that drives them towards this violence. This point of view is not based on logic but on a belief in essentialism which really is another name for racial stereotyping: Palestinians are prone to committing violence, putting on suicide belts and all this non-sense. The truth is far simpler: Given points 1 to 4, which really are indisputable, the logical short cut would imply that the gamut of violence reactions (from military to civil) against Israel are a reaction to colonialism. As such, the only real way to stop violence being committed against ISrael is to dismantle it (yes, wipe it off, erase it, delete it, whatever you want to call it) as a system of racial discrimination and colonization - exactly as the Apertheid state was wiped off, it doesn't imply killing, damaging or oppressing jews, moslems or anyone else. This is something that Vladimir Jabotinsky understood very well, as shown in the quote above. As long as Israel exists, it will incur a resistant reaction against it because it IS the aggressive, oppressive action. And it can only hold that abay and remain as the racist colony that it is by virtue (or actually vice) of violence aggression against others. 

6- As Orhan as pointed out, the result that is a dismembered Palestine, the horrible conditions of life under the colonial rule of Israel (military rule, proxy rule), near starving them, turning off their water, killing their people, etc, etc...is this expected to render the Palestinian reaction a pacificst one?

7- One needs to resolve to oneself whether self-defense is a right and is credible. Is it? Because if it is, and given the established chain of cause and consequence mentioned above, then one cannot blame Palestinians for defending themselves and their lands. Conflating this with one's admiration for ghandi and his form of pacifist resistance implies an unresolved irrational knot (deliberated or otherwise). Blaming the recipient of violence (whose reciprocation is disproportionately smaller)  for not being pacifist - because one admires Ghandi's resistance (which had its specific idiosynchratic context and transferability is highly arguable, we're not in the realm of mathematics here) is irrational. If the recepient of violence chooses not to be pacifist-  given that the aggressor is supported by the interested powers of the world and given that there is no system of justice for her or him to extract justice- this is their right...which is the same as saying that it is their right to defend themselves.

In short, one cannot blame someone who's being raped for pounding the rapist's chest as the rapist is in the process, and the realization,  of being a rapist. 

Jul 23, 14 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

In short, 

Jul 23, 14 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
CD.Arch
That picture makes it look like Palestine did nothing before Israel attacked them. That was my exact point earlier.
Jul 23, 14 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

exactly Quondam, except I don't think the apartheid state  was also ethnically cleansing the country off Africans in the way Israel is doing with Palestinians and throwing them out of their own country - although they did displace them and use them for cheap labour, as Israel does with Palestinians as well. The other hallmarks are there: segregation, racial supremism, ethnic nationalism (first class citizens, second class), denigration, enforced impoverishment, mass rounding up and incarceration, murder, torture etc. 

Israel is really a 19th century anachronism that took root in the 20th century; the 21st century should see its withering. 

Jul 23, 14 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

This is a good criticism of those who use pacifism to criticize valid resistance to imperlialism, colonialism and using pacifism, seen as a tactic and not a strategy,  to devalue self-defence * Full article: Gandhi Was Wrong – Nonviolence Doesn’t Work* :

Non-violence, much like anarchism, is yet another childish idealistic creed. Great advances have been achieved through non-violence, but far more have been achieved through revolutionary violence. In fact, many of the successes of non-violent resistance, for example in India, could have been achieved violent means as well, and with far less loss of life. Would India have gained her independence from the British if there hadn’t also been hundreds of violent mass uprisings to coincide with Gandhi’s tactics? Would Martin Luther King Jr. have been so successful had it not been for figures like Malcolm X, or the Black Panthers, that reminded white America that if one form of resistance didn’t work, there were plenty willing to resort to other forms?

Such a conflict might have been bloody, and as always some innocents would get caught up in the crossfire. But when we look at the real costs of ongoing institutional racism in the US today, which does in fact still have extremely lethal results for African Americans and Latinos, one cannot help but think that a more decisive resolution to the problem would have in the long run saved far more lives.

Far more important is the fact that those who have elevated non-violent resistance, which should be seen only as a tactic and not a strategy, to the level of a religious creed, would have progressive forces accept failure and defeat for the sake of an idea that is not shared by the other side. As alluded to before, the ruling class has no qualms about violence when it is used in its favor. It is only when they are on top that they want peace and stability.

There can be no logical reason why, in the conflict with a side that not only endorses and uses violence, but possesses superiority in the means to conduct violence, the resistors should adopt a policy of strict non-violent resistance. Non-violent resistance as a creed is submission and tacit collaboration. Though the sides may not be equal, and the establishment far more powerful, it is far better to throw a punch than to get put in a headlock on the playground. Trust me, I’ve been there.

Jul 23, 14 7:22 pm  · 
 · 
CD.Arch
Everybody want to hear something ironic? Out of curiosity I looked up the etymology of the name Tammuz in the oxford dictionary. For one, it is a Mesopotamian god. But the more interesting find is that Thamuz, also Tammuz is the tenth month of the Jewish calendar in civil years and the fourth in religious... Just a funny find, doesn't have too much to do with the overall thread.
Jul 23, 14 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

If something is nonsense it either is indeed nonsensical or makes no sense to the person attempting (or not) to understand. I rest my case.........I picked this out of many of your posts as its architecturally related and appears it requires much more data and technical support on your behalf to properly qualify the statement.....from tammuz "They should use asbestos to build their schools, since the link between asbestos and lung cancer was discovered by the Nazis. I know, I know,they do use asbestos when they build schools for Arabs; but I mean they should use it in schools for Jews." When is asbestos or in what form does asbestos become dangerous? What year and who discovered its link to asbestos and the various forms of lung diseases caused by it? Lastly, the school mentioned in your link that is "lined with dangerous asbestos" l (sounds like dramatic uneducated journalism) when was the school built and what type of asbestos lined material is on the wall? If you don't mind could you verify all this for us? It appears you have plenty of time. Just because you can google combinations of words together does not mean you have done your due diligence. (Note: I have already predicted in my mind your response and I am in no way shape or form ignoring or mocking the real situation, I am merely challenging the messenger here)

Jul 23, 14 7:51 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

CD.Arch

Its not ironic and only shows how you typically jump to conclusions on the basis of little knowledge with regards to the region. It is Armaic (modified from Babylonian ) and now shows up in both Hebew  (which according to some is modified old Armaic) and Levantine Arabic. All these languages, Arabic, Armaic, Hebrew are northwestern semitic languages and share a linguistic radical. It is also the seventh month (following the gregorian solar calander, ie July) in the Levantine Arabic calender as well as, i believe, the Turkish one. So, no, it only seems ironic to those who don't know all this and rely on sources that are prejudiced towards giving precedence to one language and culture over others. 

What is ironic is that, in wanting to change the topic, turning to another, you display the same nature of ignorance and lack of education (something that is by no means shameful, unless it is coupled with arrogance and pretense of knowledge)l.

Jul 23, 14 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

there were jewish people in the area before 1948.

apparently, the kingdom of israel was established around 1100 bce.  it was subsequently controlled by assyrians, babylonians, persians, more or less culturally controlled by the greek for a while (back when they culturally controlled most everywhere).  the romans killed a lot of jews in the area around 66-132 ad. 

it was about 635ad that the arabs conquered jerusalem.  of course they didn't hold the land the entire time.  there were the crusades and all that.  the british mandate took effect in 1922 after the ottomans lost the area in world war one around 1918.  the british worked with the local arab population to rise against the turks.  the british mandate included the balfour declaration - "His Majesty's government view with favour the establishment in Palestine of a national home for the Jewish people . . ." - the british mandate ended in 1948.

while the holocaust may have caused the biggest movement of jewish people into the region, it obviously wasn't the first.  also, those people lost their homes and their livelihoods and their families.  they were in a shitty enough position, then to have a bunch of asshats trying to kill them for just trying to settle into a new home where they might create a society that welcomed them instead of herding them into concentration camps and gas chambers makes it worse.  how about a bit of empathy on the part of the palestinians?  they could have helped out a bit.

the palestinians in the gaza strip don't have any more right to the land than the israelis.  to say the end of the british mandate in 1948 somehow justifies palestinians attacking israel disregards most of history.

just because the israelis are wrong in this case doesn't make the palestinians right.  why don't we boycott them both for trying to kill each other instead of picking a side?  why not try to stop the violence instead of perpetuate it?

filling your emptiness with hatred and anger is not the path of a wise man.  it's not the path of a compassionate man.  lau tsu says respond to anger with virtue.  buddah says silence the angry man with love, silence the ill-natured man with kindness, silence the miser with generosity, silence the liar with truth.  proverbs 29:11 says Fools give full vent to their rage,  but the wise bring calm in the end.

if none of those work for you, qu'ran 25:63 And the servants of (Allah) Most Gracious are those who walk on the earth in humility, and when the ignorant address them, they say, "Peace!";

peace.

Jul 23, 14 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Google "tammuz antichrist"

Jul 23, 14 8:15 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

oh, of course, now it has to go to badly chronicled history if not pseudo-history, myth and biblical nonsense to justify dispossession of people who have existed on their land throughout their generations:

The Ten Mythologies of Israel 

The second part of this mythology is also doubtful, but less significant. Several 
scholars, among them Israelis, doubted the genetic connection between the Zionist 
settlers and the Jews who lived the Roman time in Palestine or were exiled at the 
time. This is really less important, as many national movements create artificially 
their story of birth and plant it in the distant past. The important issue, however, is 
what you do in the name of this narrative. Do you justify colonization, expulsion and 
killing in the name of that story, or do you seek peace and reconciliation on its basis? 
It does not matter whether the narrative is true or not. What matters is that it is vile 
if, in its name, you colonize, dispossess and in some cases even commit acts of 
genocide against indigenous and native people.

Surprise: Ashkenazi Jews Are Genetically European

“The Missing Link of Jewish European Ancestry: Contrasting the Rhineland and the Khazarian Hypotheses,” published in December in the online journal Genome Biology and Evolution, Elhaik says he has proved that Ashkenazi Jews’ roots lie in the Caucasus — a region at the border of Europe and Asia that lies between the Black and Caspian seas — not in the Middle East. They are descendants, he argues, of the Khazars, a Turkic people who lived in one of the largest medieval states in Eurasia and then migrated to Eastern Europe in the 12th and 13th centuries. Ashkenazi genes, Elhaik added, are far more heterogeneous than Ostrer and other proponents of the Rhineland Hypothesis believe. Elhaik did find a Middle Eastern genetic marker in DNA from Jews, but, he says, it could be from Iran, not ancient Judea.

Elhaik writes that the Khazars converted to Judaism in the eighth century, although many historians believe that only royalty and some members of the aristocracy converted. But widespread conversion by the Khazars is the only way to explain the ballooning of the European Jewish population to 8 million at the beginning of the 20th century from its tiny base in the Middle Ages, Elhaik says.

Jul 23, 14 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
CD.Arch
1. Oxford dictionary is not prejudiced.
2. I stated clearly that it was simply a funny find, and that it didn't have much to do with the subject.

I am aware that it is also Hebrew, and it is found in the Old Testament, Ezekial 8:14 from the Akkadian *Dumuzi*. And as I'm sure you know, Jews only read the Old Testament along with their own books of the Torah. The Old Testament was originally in Hebrew. It would make sense that Tammuz could have a Jewish meaning as well, especially considering that the meaning tht you have in mind is not the only existing meaning, obviously. Thank you.
Jul 23, 14 8:27 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Look if you can not substantiate your asbestos argument on an architecture forum I am not sure you can substantiate anything else. Presumably you are an architect or like architecture? So substantiate the asbestos argument and then get back to us with your feverish Googling for anything that supports your agenda.

Jul 23, 14 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
CD.Arch
If somebody posted a picture of poop on the internet with a caption saying "this is a poop taken in action against Israelis attacking Gaza" Tammuz would post the link here.
Jul 23, 14 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

By Saul Tschernikowsky...................................................................... Then He brought me to the door of the gate of the Lord’s house which was toward the north; and, behold, there sat the women weeping for Tammuz(Ezekiel 8:14).                       Go Forth, O ye daughters                       Of Zion, lamenting, For Tammuz, the radiant Tammuz, is dead!        The days that draw near will be clouded and barren, A twilight of souls and long autumn ahead.                       At sunlight’s first gleaming                       On radiant mornings We wake to the grove that was darker than night,        To the grove of inscrutable mysteries and dreams, To the altar of Tammuz, the altar of light.                       What dance shall we dance now                       Encircling the altar? What dance shall we dance before Tammuz today?        Step right and step left—step seven by seven! We bow down in worship, “Return here!” we pray.                       Step right and step left—                       Step seven by seven! And straight-limbed and slow, hands touching, depart!        We go forth to seek out where Tammuz may linger, The young men alone, and the maidens apart.                       On well-traveled highways                       We sought after Tammuz, On crossroads flooded with sun and with light,        Endeared to the heart by their warmth and their stillness, Where swallows are splashing, and sparrows take flight;                       On narrow paths, stretching                       From cornfield to cornfield And strewn with wild poppies and nettles that sting,        At margins of springs, in the rustling of rushes, Where flourishing sedge and the vernal reeds sing.                       Then down to the river                       We passed through the valleys, Through fields that were weeded, through ditches and brush;        O breezes that sport in the grass, we entreat you! Have you seen bright Tammuz, O partridge, O thrush?                       We sought after Tammuz                       In felled trees and thicket, In gopherwood forests, where ivy vines cling;        Perhaps he is drowsy with incense of cedars, Or fragrance of mushrooms that grow in a ring.                       We sought after Tammuz,                       But nowhere could find him! Up hillock and down into valley again—        We followed the tracks of all secrets and wonders, Wherever a god might yet live among men.                       We see now: our thicket                       And tree are but firewood, And food for the flames is the grove we have known.      Poor, hungry chicks, peeping, are all that encircle The altar—the altar, a pile of hewn stone.                       By falls of the rivers,                       Where once we affirmed that The winds would tell tales at a wizard’s command,        We hear the low moaning of reeds, roots withered By drought, as hot summer returns to the land.                       No footprints of spirits                       Appear in the meadows; The wave holds no secrets, and gone is all mirth.        The meadow is pastureland—horned goats are dancing By watering troughs on the dew-layered earth.                       Go forth, O ye daughters                       Of Zion, lamenting This grief-stricken world whence magic is fled!        This grief-stricken world whose soul is eclipsed— For Tammuz, the radiant Tammuz, is dead! .

Jul 23, 14 8:35 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

Cd.Arch, you also said it was ironic...suggesting that I was using a Jewish (which it is not just) name while standing against Jewish people (which I did not do, i stand against Zionism). It is ironic that you betray your ignorance and your lack of construing arguments while trying to point out irony and enlightening us with your partial knowledge and wit-by-half. 

Here's a quite detailed report on how planning policies and measures were used strategically in the implementation of the Zionist colonial project (ie the establishment of the Israeli colony):

To conclude, under Israeli Zionist rule the Palestinian land was turned into 
Jewish/Israeli to an utmost level. The Palestinian communities suffered from 
restriction of mobility, spatial, social, cultural and economic development. Military 
governance was not lifted before 1966, just before a new war. Discrimination and 
racist plans in the Israeli leadership still followed the same aims of restricting living 
conditions, expulsion and expropriation (Koenig‘s Report 1976). These policies 
prevented the Palestinians in Israel until today from equity in a 'democratic system' 
and equal development chances as Egbaria will show as a special ethnocratic 
system in the following chapters.

Jul 23, 14 8:43 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

when you end the state of israel, what do you do with the people that live there?  or just kill them all off?  obviously the holocaust survivors and their families don't have countries to go back to.

you guys aren't the same ones that get all upset when poor people are displaced when a neighborhood gentrifies i hope.  or when hundreds of people die while zaha's projects are getting built?

Jul 23, 14 9:15 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

you're not reading me curtkram and you're drawing your own conclusions, i've repeated it a few times and i never even insinuated that anyone should leave. i believe that residents of what is now israel, who grew up there and so on should stay there. it is the system of racial discrimination that is to be abolished, which is Israel as a colonial state. Equal rights for all, the right of return for the palestinians around the world (and there is ample space for what we call now Israelis and PAlestinians) and settling the matter of stolen property - whose deeds and keys many many palestinians still hold on to. 

Palestine as a land for all its jewish, moslem and christian residents and those who were expelled. For that to happen, the racist laws need to be removed, no differentiation between jewish and others, egalitarian judicial system, unjudization of the army, the state and so on. White south africans didnt leave south africa, did they?

Jul 23, 14 9:20 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Quondam, my disagreement with the messenger's style is not a disappointment by any standards and I am disappointed you think so.  My challenge means among other things I'm reading the statements made and analyzing the statements made and deciphering them. 

Short of Tammuz being one of your inventions, Tammuz is quite intelligent when it comes to architectural theory, but this isn't architecture theory is it?

People have reached out to Tammuz in many fashions, but it's clear he can't see pass what everyone else sees in his statements - no matter how liberally and intellectually contrived they are - his deep seeded hate....that smell.  it's crafty i admit, crafty enough to allow him in turn tell people they aren't really reading his statements - but they are, they really are.

nevermind everytime we respond to this post, it puts it at the top of the list.  In short he hasn't done his cause or himself any favors given his style of rhetoric, and for this Quondam you should be disappointed.

Jul 23, 14 9:32 pm  · 
 · 

Temmuz is July in Turkey. So this is the month of Temmuz now. Next month is Ağustos, than, Eylül, Ekim, Kasım, Aralık, Ocak, Şubat, Mart, Nisan, Mayıs, Haziran.

Some are the same with the Jewish calendar. Muslims and Jews have more in common than most of you know. Always at the core exist, geographical, ethnic, traditional, religious, ethical, moral, intellectual, cultural and biological similarities and common grounds.

I am in support of BDS movement.

This thread which is priceless by the contributions of intelligent and educated people and the most embarrassing in terms of attacks on reasonable information via mostly fabrication, questionable personal baggage and ad hominem by the malinformed. This thread is making more people see the root causes of the war, struggle and injustice. More people are now not afraid of being critical of Israel here in the USA. At this point, however, US political body is still a lapdog of highly conservative Jewish financial power, AIPAC and the media giants who edit and compose every national and local newsbit in Zionist favor and in condemnation of Islam.

I want to thank t a m m u z for the generous and highly illuminating information, pov, links, factual resources, first person accounts from the region and the relentless focus on staying with the subject against all personal attacks which s/he refrains until targeted and only then by very intelligent reply.

Jul 23, 14 9:35 pm  · 
 · 

Every year I go to seder in my friends' house here in Los Angeles. No, they don't consider me as the enemy of Judaism or their culture, there is no question about that, I am not. These are highly educated, creative and accomplished friends. I don't know if it's my presence made it, we now put Palestinians and their well being in the ritual as well.

I am called Turkish by blood. The average person from Turkey has a DNA footprint goes as far back as Hittites and as far as Spain in the west and Mongolia in the east. Our DNA is something like bitches brew. Both beautiful and violent, our history in Anatolia is well recorded going as far as 4-5 thousand years before Christ and before all the way to Bronze age. I have a vested cultural interest in Eastern Mediterranean Sea and region. Rich with resources and intellectual infrastructure I want it to be a prosperous and productive area of the world it once was. If Israel wants to be part of that ambition it has my support, but this kind of brutal chokehold has no place in civilized condition she claims to be in.

Jul 23, 14 9:42 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

how can I launch rockets into this thread?

Jul 23, 14 9:57 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Yes, there was one, one lone supporter of Israel.

The largest protest I've seen on this bridge since I've lived in TC.

Jul 23, 14 11:06 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

b3tadine[sutures], the images aren't showing (not sure if its at my end but neither do they show up on my phone)

Thanks Orhan

Map showing progression of Zionist occupation and colonization to establishte racist Zionist colony on Palestinian land 

Jul 24, 14 1:24 am  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

And by the way, when did Israel ever want the "two state solution"? They gobbled up most of Palestine. 

Jul 24, 14 1:32 am  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

How does this reflect in terms of population displacement?

Jul 24, 14 1:39 am  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

From Statements by Key Zionist Leaders on Palestinian Transfer and Expulsion: 1895-1948

Israel Zangwill: An influential British Zionist propagandist who coined the term "land without a people for people without a land."

"[We] must be prepared either to drive out by the sword the [Arab] tribes in possession as our forefathers did or to grapple with the problem of a large alien population, mostly Mohammedan and accustomed for centuries to despise us." - (Manchester, England, April 1905. Ibid., p.210.)

[The Palestinians] could be "bought off" their land or "suppressed with a little firmness." [The Palestinians resemble] "the rocks of Judea, as obstacles that had to be cleared on a difficult path." - (Jabotinsky's recollections of a conversation with Zangwill in 1916. Cited in Flapan, Zionism and the Palestinians, p.56.)

"If we wish to give the country to a people without a country, it is utter foolishness to allow it to be the country of two peoples. This can only cause trouble. The Jews will suffer and so will their neighbours. One of the two: a different place must be found either for the Jews or for their neighbours." - (Cited in Gorny, Zionism and the Arabs, 1882-1948, p.217.)

"We cannot allow the Arabs to block so valuable a piece of historic reconstruction… And therefore we must gently persuade them to 'trek'. After all, they have all Arabia with its million square miles ... There is no particular reason for the Arabs to cling to these few kilometers. 'To fold their tents' and 'silently steal away' is their proverbial habit: let them exemplify it now." - (1919?. Cited in Paul Alsberg. "The Arab Question in the Policy of the Zionist Executive before the First World War" (Hebrew), Shivat Tzion, Jerusalem, 4 1955-56, p.206-7.)

Jul 24, 14 1:53 am  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

Same source as above (i'm sure this will have a lovely resonance in the ears of the racists here, I mean the likes of LITS4Forms and xian(or whatever the name was) :

Avraham Stern: founder of the Stern Terrorist Gang, which Yitzhak Shamir co-commanded
[The Arabs are] "beasts of the desert, not a legitimate people," and "The Arabs are not a nation but a mole that grew in the wilderness of the eternal desert. They are nothing but murderers." - (1940. Cited in Yosef Heller, "Between Messianism and Realpolitik - Lehi and the Arab Question, 1940-1947," in Israel Gutman, E., Yahdut Zemanenu [Contemporary Jewry], A Research Annual, Vol. 1, 1984, p. 225.)

Jul 24, 14 1:56 am  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

Same source as above:

Yosef Sprintzak: Then Secretary General of the Histadrut
"There is a feeling that faits accomplis are being created.... The question is not whether the Arabs will return or not return. The question is whether the Arabs are [being or have been] expelled or not.... I want to know, who is creating the facts [of expulsion]? And the facts are being created on orders." - (Quoted in Benny Morris, 1948 and After, pp.42-43.)

Sprintzak added that "a line of action ... of expropriating and of emptying the land of Arabs by force." - ( Statement at a debate of the Mapai Centre on 24 July 1948, held against the background of the Ramle-Lydda expulsions. Ibid.)

Jul 24, 14 1:57 am  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

Oh, and this is funny (i mean, it might be odd to the ignorant ears but one should know that Israel today is not the Greater Israel that was and may still be on the table - this is why Israel actually occupied Lebanon and stayed in the south till they got their zionist ass kicked):

Edmond James de Rothschild: financier and banker, 
"[Rothschild] advise me to carry on [land purchases] and similar activities, but it is better, he said, not to transfer the Arabs to Syria and Transjordan, as these are part of the Land of Israel, but to Mesopotamia (Iraq)." - (Comments by Shabtai Levi, A purchasing agent of the Palestine Jewish Colonization Association, 1934. Nedava, "Tochniyot Helufel Ochlosin," pp.164-5.)

Jul 24, 14 2:00 am  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

Same source, again LITS4Formz and xian will also drool all over this:

Moshe Smilansky: Zionist writer and labour leader, who came as a colonist to Palestine in 1890:
"Let us not be too familiar with the Arab fellahin lest our children adopt their ways and learn from their ugly deeds. Let all those who are loyal to the Torah avoid ugliness and that which resembles it and keep their distance from the fellahin and their base attributes." - (Yosef Gorny, Zionism and the Arabs, 1882-1948, Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1987, pp.50 and 62.)

Jul 24, 14 2:04 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: