Archinect
anchor

PRITZKER 2011

metal

its almost that time again, who should win?

I'm not too crazy about Steven Holl, but he might well deserve it

Feb 1, 11 6:06 pm
mdler

TWBTA

Feb 1, 11 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
Jefferson

TWBTA for sure...

Feb 1, 11 6:30 pm  · 
 · 

who is in the jury? i want to make an educated guess..

Feb 1, 11 6:35 pm  · 
 · 

i'm not predicting steven holl again. i think we jinx him every year. why ELSE would he not have won it by now?!

Feb 1, 11 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

REX or FAT

Feb 1, 11 6:55 pm  · 
 · 

I've been right the last three years, so I'm going out on a limb and saying it's Holl's year. The work in China's going to push him over the edge and it's been 5+ years since Mayne won.

Ito's turn in 2012.

Feb 1, 11 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
olaf design ninja

Holl with Olaf (me) as runner up

Feb 1, 11 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

I'm gonna say Charles Correa again (he's 81 already... hurry up Mr. Pritzker!)

Feb 1, 11 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
AP

2011 Jury Members

Lord Peter Palumbo, 2005-present (Chair)
Alejandro Aravena, 2009-present
Carlos Jimenez, 2001-present
Glenn Murcutt, 2010-present
Juhani Pallasmaa, 2009-present
Renzo Piano, 2006-present
Karen Stein, 2004-present
Martha Thorne, 2005-present (Executive Director)

via http://www.pritzkerprize.com/about/jury.html

Feb 1, 11 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
mespellrong

Isn't it Penny who foots the bill?

Feb 1, 11 9:01 pm  · 
 · 

hmm. it will go to someone with socially significant work. because this is the times.. (?)
egyptian people?

Feb 1, 11 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

too recent to matter

Feb 1, 11 10:39 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Got to be Holl
Left field choices, Bjarke Ingels or Peter Eisenman

Feb 1, 11 10:48 pm  · 
 · 

Bjarke? Right....

Three out of the jury are good friends of Holl's - heck, one even wrote a book with him. It's his time.

Eisenman is a really tough choice - the award is supposed to reflect the quality and significance of their built output (not just their influence on the profession as a whole). If you strictly look at Peter's output - what's really significant beyond Wexner?DAAP is falling apart after 10 years, Berlin is pretty cool, but not significant enough, the convention center is a bust. House II and House VI? Very influential in a certain sense. But, with that jury, I don't think he gets there. He'd need a Kipnis, a Somol, Gehry (who's already cycled through as a juror), people like that on it.

Correa is a solid choice - he's the best option from the asian subcontinent (outside Japan). If he doesn't get it this year, he could easily do so next year.

Feb 1, 11 11:06 pm  · 
 · 

after stated facts on the jury, i now concur with Greg Walker.

Feb 1, 11 11:20 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

yeah, it seems tilted toward holl, once you see the list. i like holl, and his work has moved ever more grander as he has been given the opportunity.

Feb 1, 11 11:37 pm  · 
 · 
archNRE

Bjarke Ingels? He is so young. But he deserves the price more than others.

Feb 2, 11 12:05 am  · 
 · 
kungapa

It ain't Bjarke's time yet. Lets hope he receives the Pritzker kiss of death later in life, after much more built work.

Feb 2, 11 12:37 am  · 
 · 
headyshreddy

Is Philip Johnson still dead?

Feb 2, 11 1:26 am  · 
 · 
dblock

TWBTA is one of my favorites but I don't think they have enough work for the prize. They focus on quality over quantity. Bjarke in a few years.... REX no... Eisenmann unlikely as of now although he is wrapping up some big projects... I'd say Ito except Sejima (Asia) won last year).
Most likely Holl in my opinion...

Feb 2, 11 1:43 am  · 
 · 
usernametaken

the people mentioning Bjarke Ingels: are you serious? It's well marketed architecture, but that doesn't necessary make it good (or interesting/important) architecture. And his imporance in the field? Well, the work is strongly OMA/MVRDV-inspired: displaying complexity as if it was easily explainable (denouncing the wonders of complexity and multi-layeredness of reality), condensed in a diagram that gets built. Kudos for achieving that, but it's not THAT interesting, I'd reckon.

Holl appears to be a sure bet. Outsiders: Ito (although it's unlikely after Sanaa last year), maybe Adjaye (even though he hasn't got that big a public presence), Behnisch (if he wouldn't be dead), maybe UN Studio (though I get the feeling their work doesn't resonate well with the jury), Snohetta (if they would be a bit more "out there"), Eisenman (if they'd go by past (theoretical) value instead of recent work)... Or maybe a real outsider, like a good african architect, working towards social improvement with low environmental impact. But it will be Holl.

Feb 2, 11 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

I agree on Snohetta.

But like BIG, FAT (I'll keep plugging this) or even a bigger firm like Gensler or OMA... It's hard to give an award to an entire firm as the Pritzker is generally given to individual architects.

Snohetta, like the other groups mentioned-- is a conglomeration of many skilled individuals working in small groups on individual projects.

I'm pretty sure that Kjetil Thorsen or Craig Dykers is not responsible for every single one of their designs, every detail of their projects or the execution of the projects. Snohetta even values itself on being a firm comprised of individuals working in unison to deliver their projects.

And out of all the firms mentioned, BIG and Gensler are the only ones who have the names of their founders.

But the obvious language here is Bjarke Ingels Group. And the only surviving Gensler isn't even a registered architect.

Perhaps the Pritzker should have two awards-- individual architect and firm?

Feb 2, 11 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
sarhat

daniel libeskind or diller and scofidio

Feb 2, 11 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
dia

I was thinking Bjarke might be an outside choice to stir some debate and reinvigorate the idea of the young upstart starchitect - it would largley be promotional and probably cynical.

I reckon if Eisenman doesnt get it now he never will.

Holl is a definite.

Feb 2, 11 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Another one - Chipperfield?

Feb 2, 11 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
sarhat

i was thinking about eisenman but i think now it's late for him. the new building in calisia is the only last grandiose work... which i suppose is not opened yet...

Feb 2, 11 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
usernametaken

Chipperfield might be good alternative, too. Forgot about him for a sec.

Feb 2, 11 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
Mrtz

WOlf PRIx Coophimmalblau

Feb 2, 11 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
Mrtz

ha ah :D

Feb 2, 11 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
metal

Yes Wolf Prix! while i love the guy, i dont know if they would give it to him.

if Santiago Compostela was built and running I would say Eisenman.

Diller Scofidio...maybe later if they can make something as good as the high line

post world trade center Libeskind is just bad..
Bjarke is way too young, would be an insult if they picked him. nice work, but without the media sensation he tries to make, we are left with a young OMA grad.

Holl, the guy has worked hard man.

I'd second charles correa, Chipperfield, Toyo Ito.

Feb 2, 11 5:09 pm  · 
 · 

D/S needs one or two more significant built works, I think, before they're on that cusp.

Adjaye? Too young, not enough done yet.

Libeskind pissed off everyone in the 'establishment' with the way they handled the WTC 'competition'. Don't hold your breath (and don't think that it doesn't matter - this thing is all politics).

Chipperfield....he's on that cusp as well. And I love some of his work. I'm discounting him this year because they just picked Rogers a couple years ago. Maybe after a couple more of these museums open up.

Correa is starting to make me second guess myself....very viable candidate. Lot depends on the message this group wants to send. If it's to affirm a known quantity for what really has been a stellar career by any measure, then Holl's a lock. If it's to help bring a much wider awareness of an architect, Correa's.... a really really likely choice.

Feb 2, 11 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
EyeM3

My guess is Calatrava

Feb 2, 11 9:13 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

perhaps the prize should go to the firm that employees the fewest un-paid interns? employed, ha, right?

Feb 2, 11 9:30 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

TWBTA has enough work...and it is all really good

Feb 3, 11 12:17 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

this guy!

Feb 3, 11 12:21 am  · 
 · 
mdler

I know PQB just got the AIA GM, but BCJ should be considered

Feb 3, 11 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Who the fuck recommended gensler?

Feb 3, 11 7:47 pm  · 
 · 
ichweiB

Wolf D. Prix-it's time

Feb 3, 11 10:54 pm  · 
 · 
jacklawyer

correa correa

Feb 4, 11 4:14 am  · 
 · 
seierplusseier

nice proposals.

BIG and FAT (it feels so good writing that) would defeat the whole nobel-prize-of-architecture vibe, so that won't happen in 30 years, but I have to admit that selecting sanaa last year almost did just that.

my money would be on holl if it wasn't for the fact that I am an architect and don't have any :)

correa would be a great choice too and about time. with utzon, they waited so long you felt they were awarding the prize for longevity.

Feb 4, 11 10:41 am  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

I know. We could only hope for FAT!

@sameolddoctor ... Also, no one recommended Gensler. I was just saying that it's hard to nominate specific architects when they work for a "label" rather than as individual or partnered architects.

For instance-- http://www.pritzkerprize.com/laureates/2010/index.html-- Last year's Pritzker was awarded to Kazuyo Sejima and Ryue Nishizawa. It was not awarded to SANAA.

Some firms are set up, either intentionally or unintentionally, that no specific person can be regarded as solely responsible for a design, idea or work.

"The international prize, which is awarded each year to a living architect for significant achievement, was established by the Pritzker family of Chicago through their Hyatt Foundation in 1979. Often referred to as “architecture’s Nobel” and “the profession’s highest honor,” it is granted annually."

See, the issue is that most firms are more than one person. That one person's work is usually the combined work of few to dozens of people.

It's whatever. Its their award. But as branding becomes the de jure in the professional services industry, they probably out to rethink how they give out the award.

Feb 4, 11 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
syp

Of the architects who have so far been mentioned, Steven Holl seems most relevent, and FAT is least relevent because Robert Venturi already had gotten one in 1991.

Feb 4, 11 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

Saying FAT is comparable to Robert Venturi is like saying Sanaa or Mayne is the least relevant because Hadid won in 2004. Or a better example would be saying Nouvel is least relevant because Rogers won the year before.

Feb 4, 11 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
metal

maybe mayne and hadid have a shared language, but not Sanaa. and in general each one of them brought something new to the table.

but FAT...seriously bad joke all over it. Venturi, stern, graves.. that was enough of that already. Their architecture is like killing a dead joke.

I'd even say their mentality is bad for Architecture. I could go to my grave saying that. repulsive... and I'll bet their giggle-making designs would embrace that

Feb 4, 11 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
syp

It is really hard to understand that you think Sanaa and Hadid have same relationship as Venturi and FAT. It is so obvious that Sanaa and Hadid are different type of architecture.

What I was trying to say about Venturi and FAT is Post-modernism had been culminated theorically at Venturi and practically at stirling's Neue Staatsgalerie and it is not valid any more in the contemporary culture. FAT is doing what has already been passed.

Feb 5, 11 12:42 am  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

"It is so obvious that Sanaa and Hadid are different type of architecture."

Greyish? Check.
Brushed metal? Check.
Boring boxes sometimes with curvy bits? Check.
Gratuitous use of fine concrete? Check.
Possibly use of colored uplighting? Unknown.

All of those architects are the same thing-- grey, brushed metal, clever windows with some variety of geometric flourish. High contrast interiors, colored lighting and unobstructed windows.

Feb 5, 11 1:05 am  · 
 · 
syp

You seem really a big fan of post-modernism.

"(All of those architects are the same thing--) grey, brushed metal, clever windows with some variety of geometric flourish. High contrast interiors, colored lighting and unobstructed windows."

So... are you saying that all the contemporary architecture using "grey, brushed metal, clever windows with some variety of geometric flourish" are basically same?

I have two arms and two legs and one head.
Am I a same person as you?

Your standard of judgment is already too post-modernism.

Feb 5, 11 1:23 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!
Feb 5, 11 1:40 am  · 
 · 
mdler

that Bjarke stuff is crap...

Feb 5, 11 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
MountainBoy

Agreed. Bjarke is way too young and too flashy for that crowd. Only way he will get a vote from Pallasama will be because of Scandinavian solidarity.

That said, I could see it going to TWBTA. Their work seems meticulously conceived and crafted. And who ever said they don't have enough work, Its not prize for who builds the most. IF that was the case just hand it to KPF or Gensler... FAT chance.

But it will be Holl.

Feb 5, 11 6:17 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: