Archinect
anchor

PRITZKER 2011

mdler

TWBTA>HOLL

Feb 5, 11 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
job job

I will pick Iñaki Abalos as the Pritzker prize recipient of 2011. Accomplished architect, follows a separate agenda outside the trendy, and is an easy choice for the committee.

Uxbridge - that was a great post.

Feb 5, 11 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
usernametaken

For those people claiming TWBTA would be a good pick: do you see them as having an international appeal, and/or a worldwide impact? I'm not quite sure about that. Even more so, I am certain that at least 75% of all architects (and architecture students) in Europe would have no clue who they are. I'm not too sure of that accounts for anything. All I know is that 99% would at least know one building by Steven Holl. For what it's worth.

Feb 6, 11 5:02 pm  · 
 · 

TWBTA website has a connection to this movie.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0rqhdx1154&feature=related

Feb 6, 11 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
trace™
but FAT...seriously bad joke all over it. Venturi, stern, graves.. that was enough of that already. Their architecture is like killing a dead joke.

Exactly.

Holl seems like a pretty safe pick. I do love TWBTA, though.

Feb 6, 11 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
metal

I would say that relating Sanna to Hadid is a very superficial reading that comes from reading one too many FAT articles. They can numb the senses.

Sanaa has Japanese written all over it.

Feb 6, 11 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

Relating Venturi, Stern and FAT is a very superficial reading. And I'm not sure FAT is entirely post-modern. Perhaps "post-pop" or even "googie-gothic." But I would take FAT one step further away and label it "destructionist" to both modern and post-modern architecture.

The commoditization and commercialization of popular, pedestrian and even fine culture in the 20th century pretty much makes everything be a "seriously bad joke." That's really one of the bigger aspects of post-modernism.

Even "contemporary," deconstructionist and minimalist styles have been commodified and commercialized to a certain extent as clients have used the novel, fantastical and technological aspects of their architecture in forming and expanding their brand's relative ideology.

In a sense... architects like Hadid, Sanaa, Mayne and even Foster have all been "TRON'd," "Chanel'd," or "Legion-of-Doom'd."

At least post-modernists and "post-post-modernists" at the only ones that realize that architecture is only water membrane deep.

Feb 6, 11 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
dia

usernametaken - same argument could apply to Murcutt...

Feb 6, 11 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
syp

"At least post-modernists and "post-post-modernists" at the only ones that realize that architecture is only water membrane deep."

Even if Architecture is water membrance deep, they, FAT, don't have right to "proclaim" about that.
No sooner they proclaim that than they pretend their thoery "profound".
Namely, they are using "superficility" for the sake of their "profundity".

That is why their architecture looks disgusting and snobbish.

Feb 6, 11 7:40 pm  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

All architecture looks disgusting and snobbish... that's why it's architecture!

Feb 6, 11 9:15 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

usernametaken,

I'm not sure nowadays about Williams/Tsien being "hot" in Europe (and who knows anyway, Europe is too big/diverse), but the American Folk Art Museum was relatively well-known and published here in the western side of the mediterranean -Barcelona, Catalonia- some years ago.
And I remember that that project was sold -in magazines-, and crossed the pond, together with Raimund Abraham's Austrian Cultural Forum; two similar examples -even if architecturally/tectonically quite different- of beautifully crafted, thin and small facades lost in NY's forest of corporate, giant skyscrapers.
I really liked the AFAM back then, but it was the first time I heard about Williams/Tsien. And frankly, I couldn't tell you right now which other notable projects they have done.

I wouldn't be so sure about Holl being so "famous" though.
I remember the MIT dormitory was published extensively, but, maybe because the nature of that project -student campuses are mostly an American thing-, I don't think people still has nowadays that project in mind when they hear the name Steven Holl (even if the original big, porous facade probably penetrated in the mental imagery of lots of architects here too).
He is probably more known in northern Europe -after the Kiasma in the late 1990s- but I don't think he has any other well-known project, except for St Ignatius. I've seen that chapel cited as one good example of how to use colors -together with some old classic Barragan stuff- in architecture. But that's all... those hybrid towers in China and Denmark are too recent - and probably lost in the iconic era where every week there was a couple of new towers presented somewhere.

From what I've seen and read, after some years in this forum, it seems that this guy is some sort of semi-god for lots of americans. I don't think he's perceived that same way here. People know it's a good architect, that notably masters plasticity in an artistic way as Zumthor or Murcutt do -each in their own way-, but probably the majestic stature of his aura and genius are less apparent from the distance.
I'd be happy if he gets the medal anyway... I did a watercolor of St Ignatius back in school, good memories.

Feb 6, 11 9:17 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

Ah, but I still want Correa to win... about time for a non-japanese, Asian architect.

Feb 6, 11 9:21 pm  · 
 · 
syp

Uxbridge,

In spite of all my criticism on FAT, generally I like smart people like them.
They are still young. So... let's see what's their future like.

Feb 6, 11 10:15 pm  · 
 · 
air is blue

Holl seems like a good bet, but I wouldn't discount someone who might have been overlooked in previous years by the jury, like Eisenmann, Prix, or Tschumi. The thing about TWBTA and Chipperfield is that their work is maybe just not game-changing or distinctive enough when held up against the last decade of laureates. If we're talking about architects under 60, I'd place my money on someone more radical, like a J. Mayer H. or Diller/Scofidio.

Feb 7, 11 1:10 am  · 
 · 
pastell

i've honestly never heard of Williams/Tsien, they are defenitely not hot in europe.

my list of candidates would look like this, the top names more likely:

Steven Holl
David Chipperfield
Daniel Libeskind
Ben Van Berkel
Toyo Ito
Kengo Kuma

Feb 7, 11 8:54 am  · 
 · 
metal

FAT

The days of Five on Five are long over, and that is what they are recreating with their exhausting verbatim

We are in the midst of leaving post-modernism, not returning to it.

dont like the work, but one can always respect those that get stuff built.

Feb 7, 11 12:45 pm  · 
 · 

Eisenman has not gotten one yet, really? He'll probably get it this year, then, if only so he'll stop pestering the jurors with 2am phone calls every week for the last 15 years.*

In fact, whenever I'm confident about something I'm usually wrong, so I'll go ahead and state confidently that Eisenman will be the 2011 Pritzker Laureate.

*It's a joke, Mr. Eisenman. Please don't request that this post be deleted.

Feb 7, 11 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
usernametaken

@Medit: I guess that the difference between north- and south-europe comes into play, or something. The American Folk Art building has gotten some press as far as I am aware, but nothing too heavy. Other than that: I really didn't know any project by them before checking out their website some days ago. And honestly: still doesn't ring a bell...

As far as Holl goes: Kiasma, Linked Hybrid, Loisum, Knut Hamsen Center, Nelson Atkins, Simmons Hall all got quite extensive press. And all made their mark, to a certain extent, in architectural discourse. As far as I'm aware, at least...

Feb 7, 11 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
jplourde

bah, billie chen and tod[d] have outlived their usefulness. rex is too 'oma' and too young. holl is too dumb.

CHIPPERFIELD.

Feb 7, 11 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

Its a damn shame that this award is a fashion show...Eisenman, come on. The dudes work is shit

Feb 7, 11 9:13 pm  · 
 · 
MountainBoy

@ usernametaken

Don't get me wrong about Holl but Kiasma is terrible when considering its context of AaltoLand. The concept is ok. Nothing to complain about there. But the detailing is so minimal and seemingly neglected. Especially when comparing it to other Finnish architecture. Also very negatively received by the Finnish public.

Only saving grace (and the reason i bring this to light) is that Juhani Pallasmaa (on the Pritzker committee) was the local project architect. I think that relationship could determine alot.

Does any one know how the voting goes? Is it by unanimous decision?

Feb 7, 11 9:47 pm  · 
 · 
OldSchool

Holl is overdue for it.

Feb 8, 11 9:03 am  · 
 · 
maya mcdifference

Holl oll the way.

Feb 8, 11 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
Mizzi

Ben van Berkel

Feb 8, 11 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

there's another old one who could get it, Clorindo Testa... a sort of argentinian Mendes da Rocha

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clorindo_Testa

Feb 8, 11 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
job job

Rahul Mehrotra

Feb 8, 11 8:09 pm  · 
 · 

Steven I totally agree with you - I fear I will jinx it if I give reason as to Holl's nomination (which I so boldly did last year and even got a personal and heartfelt email confirming receipt of his nomination from the organizers)

but judging on the jury it's likely that a technis architect will win. Barring a back to back Japanese victory (rule out Shigeru Ban) it could be the unknown high modernist David Chipperfield. He's topical, recently knighted and has been increasingly in demand in the uk

sadly folks like Carlos Ferrata, Massimiliano Fuksas & Mathias Klotz are likely to be overlooked forever.

my wishlist: David Adjaye or Julien de Smedt

Feb 9, 11 12:49 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

If Holl wins, he will be thoroughly disappointed to find out that the Pritzker medallion is not chocolate filled.

Feb 9, 11 12:55 am  · 
 · 
hematophobia

say not to bjarke

Feb 10, 11 8:56 am  · 
 · 
mulciber

Taniguchi Yoshio is SO overlooked. Possibly because his most visible work in the West is MoMA, and that is close to his weakest contribution (a waste treatment plant he did in Hiroshima around the same time uses similar vocabulary and is far more successful). http://www.flickr.com/photos/caspar_borkowsky/3109001811/in/photostream/

Feb 11, 11 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
Hawkin

Holl or Chipperfield. They are not controversial, their architecture is elegant and sober and they are on the rise in the US and the UK respectively, plus Holl has the China hype and Chipperfield completed the Berlin museum not long ago. Very 2011 both of them.

FAT or BIG no way at this time, maybe in 10 years.

I am European and never ever heard about TWBTA (had to google it), and bet 90% of architects here would have no clue. However that does not mean anything.

Feb 11, 11 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
Hawkin

Btw, some of you say very unknown names.

But if you look at the winners, they are always starchitects. A recent exception may be Zumthor, who is not a starchitect per se, but he is extreeeeeemly well known in the architecture world, so he can be assimilated.

Feb 11, 11 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
Medit
But if you look at the winners, they are always starchitects.

I'm not sure Murcutt was a starchitect before he was chosen (maybe in Austrialia but probably not in Europe or America).

And definitely Paulo Mendes da Rocha wasn't -and still isn't- anything close to what most people call a starchitect (Gehry, Foster, Nouvel, Sejima, Hadid, etc).

Sometimes the winners are just very well known in their own countries/regions but mostly unknown in global terms -except for the various architectural "inteligentsias" in each corner of the world-.
Usually they become starchitects when non-architects from other parts of the planet start to hear their names -basically when they win big projects/competitions-.

Feb 11, 11 9:17 pm  · 
 · 
junihaoni

I would say UN Studio (Ben van Berkel).

Feb 12, 11 9:04 am  · 
 · 

I would love to see someone young win. And someone not so obvious but who has a calibre of work worth sharing the world as something a younger generation can emulate. The work of Giancarlo Mazzanti with it's emphasis on social upliftment is a message often overlooked and worthy in my humble eyes of a nod

Feb 14, 11 12:42 am  · 
 · 
maya mcdifference

Did you forget to include Caroline Bos as part of UN Studio? Let's not forget the other half ie. the 1991 Pritzker fail where the committee didn't mention Denise Scott Brown.

Someone young won last year which means someone old will win this year.

Feb 14, 11 11:21 am  · 
 · 
rob(E)

I know he wouldn't' but I'd love to see Greg Lynn win, he's been incredibly influential in the field. Ben van Berkel would also be awesome. If Bjarke wins, I will cut myself.

Feb 16, 11 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
maya mcdifference

If Bjarke wins, there might be a mass suicide.

Feb 16, 11 5:19 pm  · 
 · 

I don't think Greg Lynn has enough built work, does he? Not to make light of his influence.

If Bjarke wins, I will dance in the streets. But he won't, he's too young, and though he has an impressive collection of built projects, I expect they will continue to get better and better over the coming years. He has plenty of time to win.

Holl has my vote. Not to mention the prize hasn't gone to an American in 6 years, so they might Go West! so to speak.

Feb 16, 11 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
maya mcdifference

I'm curious, Donna. If Bjarke winning would send you dancing the streets, what would you do if Holl wins?

Feb 16, 11 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

'I'd love to see Greg Lynn win, he's been incredibly influential in the field'

really?? That guy is a total bullshitter

Feb 16, 11 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
maya mcdifference

he has been very influential

...in academia

...15 years ago.

Feb 16, 11 6:55 pm  · 
 · 

If Holl wins I'll also dance in the streets, but the music will be different.

Feb 16, 11 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
job job

I've got the perfect song

perfect!

Feb 16, 11 10:24 pm  · 
 · 

Well if Eisenman wins I know what I'll dance to - David Lowery's single The Palace Guards, about misunderstanding and exploiting one's role as protector.

Feb 16, 11 11:01 pm  · 
 · 
spaceman

I would handicap the contenders like this:
1. Wolf Prix - exemplifies the award, maybe not so consistent recently
2. Calatrava - has his own territory but maybe too consistent
3. S. Holl - lacks rigor and too formalist?
4. Toyo Ito - solid but not the most original, and Japanese won last year
5. Chipperfield - a sleeper but he gets better and better
6. Eduardo Souto de Moura - Siza Jr. but he's a master and a personal fave
7. Adjaye - interesting wildcard but probably too young & risky to bank on
8. BIG - too hot and has plenty of time
9. Ben van Berkel - not original enough
10. Libeskind - a one trick pony
11. Williams and Tsein - fading into "where are they now" territory
12. Peter Cook - not enough built but he's OG and has the Pritzker eyewear
13. Jeanne Gang - too many headshots when you google images
14. FAT - who?
15. Charles Correa - a timely choice but not so much in the spirit of the award
16. someone under the radar - ?

Feb 17, 11 12:09 am  · 
 · 
maya mcdifference

does anyone know when the committee will be announcing this?

Feb 28, 11 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
nypencil

I really like hole or Big to win this year.

If I have authority, I will take back the award we gave to zaha earlier.

Feb 28, 11 11:54 pm  · 
 · 

Award usually goes out early April.

Mar 1, 11 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

wait..... when did the white sox pitching coach become a 'nect member. Nice to meet you Greg! Who's this springs reclamation project? Humber?

Mar 1, 11 4:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: