Archinect
anchor

PRITZKER 2011

I just wish I had his salary for a couple of his pitching years, but no, not quite the same guy. Huge baseball fan, though. Humber's screwed. He doesn't need to bother making the trip to Camelback...

Mar 1, 11 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

yeah he did not fair so well today... but i wouldnt count yourself out... youre a wizard when it comes to fixing busted pitching prospects... i have faith in you

Mar 1, 11 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
Paulie

Frei Otto

Mar 6, 11 7:48 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

18x32 - agreed, although I don't know how much weight pallasmaa has on the committee...

even so - I'm betting it's going to be someone who is more about materiality and detailing...

Chipperfield is def on a roll (won two major prizes last year), so I'm thinking he's got to be in the top running...

Mar 9, 11 11:11 am  · 
 · 
jaja

Nominees could also be;

1. Don Evans :The Evans Group (over 500 awards)
2. Amanda Levete : I heard she's a golddigger
3. Kas Oosterhuis
4. Hani Rashid : Asymptote
5. Micheal Rojkind

Mar 10, 11 5:29 am  · 
 · 
aspect

big
fat
mad....

CRAP!

Mar 10, 11 7:53 am  · 
 · 

Gunnar Birkerts. Fed Reserve Bank built like a bridge = genius, yo!

Mar 24, 11 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

No Holl nor Correa, it seems it will be Eduardo Souto de Moura

not official yet, but someone says so... stay tuned

Mar 26, 11 7:22 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

congrats!

source: http://tectonicablog.com/?p=25117
(they don't say what's the primary source... this is "only" an arch magazine)

Mar 26, 11 7:25 pm  · 
 · 

Wow - if so, congrats indeed. Little bit of a left field choice...

Mar 26, 11 8:40 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

I guess the guys from Tectonica -in Madrid- must know someone in Souto's office in Porto ... ArchiLeaks, probably.

Mar 26, 11 9:55 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

spaceman wins the poll this year by the way, at least he's the only one who thought about ESdM -even if ranked at #6-

Mar 26, 11 10:06 pm  · 
 · 

people in the orient have better ways of getting the news. if some of you guys remember i had announced paulo mendes da rocha a few weeks ahead of time after a tip from a turkish newspaper art gossip column. pritzker prize is never super secret.

medit is our man in catalonian orient..;.)

great choice this year. it gives some weight to the coin.

Mar 28, 11 1:24 pm  · 
 · 

It is an excellent choice, and surprising. Confirmation?!

Mar 28, 11 1:33 pm  · 
 · 

again, any confirmation? because that link to Tectonica blog seems to be a blank page now...

Mar 28, 11 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
sando

never heard of him and his work seems boring... can we move on to 2012?

Mar 28, 11 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

well yes, "orient" from where you are Orhan, but "occident" from your fellow turkish people... ;) .. we're right in the middle of things.

Donna, try this (Google's cache). The original post can't be accessed now... so, either it was a secret unveiled too soon, or someone made this up... we'll know in a few days.

Mar 28, 11 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

oh, oops... Bustler-confirmed!

Mar 28, 11 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

i am impressed. good choice. Congratulations!

Mar 28, 11 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
simples

great selection - well done -

Mar 28, 11 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Really?

Mar 28, 11 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
dia
never heard of him and his work seems boring... can we move on to 2012?

- fail

This is good, and I didn't see it coming. Seems kind of obvious now...

Mar 28, 11 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
sando

so the goal is to find someone completely obscure because they've chosen a few starchitects recently? to me it just seems crazy that ito and holl don't have one yet..

Mar 28, 11 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
spaceman

Even if I put him at 6 I did say that he's a master and a personal fave. Congratulations Mr. Souto de Moura.

Mar 28, 11 11:53 pm  · 
 · 
dia
so the goal is to find someone completely obscure because they've chosen a few starchitects recently? to me it just seems crazy that ito and holl don't have one yet.

obscurity is subjective. Holl and Ito will get their turns.

Mar 29, 11 12:06 am  · 
 · 
steadyeddy

How about that! Eduardo Souto de Moura from Portugal comes from way out in left field to take the MVP. Congratulations to him. Their may be hope for those of us who aren't of the starchitects breed.

Mar 29, 11 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

Well, he surely is a starchitect in Portugal -and most of southern Europe-, only after Siza...

Mar 29, 11 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
Hawkin

@harpoon, maybe SdM is not well-known where you are (the States?) but as Medit said, he is definitely well-known in Europe and Brazil.

I am REALLY happy to see something refreshing after so many bling-bling corporate architects "a la" Zaha Hadid.

But I am quite surprised he got the prize soon after (how many years?) Alvaro Siza; their architecture is quite similar.

Mar 29, 11 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
jetvancake

Eduardo Souta de Moura is the jury’s choice for the 2011 Pritzker Architecture Prize

Citation from the Jury

During the past three decades, Portuguese architect Eduardo Souta de Moura has produced a body of work that is of our time but also carries echoes of architectural traditions. His oeuvre is convincing proof of modern idiom’s expressive potential and adaptability to distinct local situations. Always mindful of context, understood in the broadest sense, and grounded in place, time, and function, Souto de Moura’s architecture reinforces a sense of history while expanding the range of contemporary expression.

Already in his first works, undertaken in the 1980s, Souto de Moura had a consistent approach that never adopted the trends of the moment. At that time, he was intensely out of fashion, having developed his individual path during the height of postmodernism. As we look back today, the early buildings may seem normal, but
we must remember how brave they really were back then.

The versatility of his practice is evident in the variety of commissions he has undertaken with success. He is capable of designing from domestic to urban scale. Many of his early works in the 1980s were single-family houses and remain among his seminal works. However, the scope of his work has expanded: the Braga Municipal Stadium, Portugal, designed in 2000 is muscular, monumental and very much at home within its powerful landscape; the Burgo Tower, Portugal, designed at the beginning of the 1990s and built a decade later, consists of two buildings side by side, one vertical and one horizontal with different scales, in dialogue with each other and the urban landscape; the Paulo Regio Museum, completed in 2008, a grouping of volumes interspersed in the trees at its site in Cascais, Portugal, is both civic and intimate, and so appropriate for the display of art.

In their apparent formal simplicity, de Souto de Moura’s buildings weave together complex references to the characteristics of the region, landscape, site, and wider architectural history. Often simple geometries are underlined through interplay of solid and void or light and shadow. The restoration and adaptation of the Santa Maria Do Bouro Monastery into a hotel has taken a building from ruble to reinterpretation. Souto de Moura has created spaces that are both consistent with their history and modern in conception. The effectiveness of his works usually stems from the juxtaposition of elements and concepts. His unique capacity to embrace
reality while employing abstraction creates an architectural language that transforms physicality into the metaphysical.

Souto de Moura is an architect fascinated by the beauty and authenticity of materials. His knowledge of construction and skill with materials are always visible in his buildings. He has the confidence to use stone that is a thousand years old or to take inspiration from a modern detail by Mies van der Rohe. The thoughtful use of copper, stone, concrete and wood in the Cultural Center in Porto, completed in 1991, for example, is a testament to his ability to combine materials expressively. By modifying pavements, textures, pathways
and public spaces for the subway system of Porto, he has granted new significance to public spaces. House Number Two, built in the town of Bom Jesus, Portugal, in 2007, has achieved an uncommon richness through the subtle banding in the concrete of its exterior walls.

Eduardo Souto de Moura’s architecture it is not obvious, frivolous, or picturesque. It is imbued with intelligence and seriousness. His work requires an intense encounter not a quick glance. And like poetry, it is
able to communicate emotionally to those who take the time to listen. His buildings have a unique ability to convey seemingly conflicting characteristics—power and modesty, bravado and subtlety, bold public authority and sense of intimacy—at the same time. For architecture that appears effortless, serene, and simple, and for the care and poetry that permeates each project, Eduardo Souta de Moura receives the 2011 Pritzker Architecture Prize.

Mar 30, 11 10:46 am  · 
 · 
jetvancake

Los Angeles, CA—Eduardo Souto de Moura, a 58 year old architect from Portugal, is the jury’s choice for the 2011 Pritzker Architecture Prize, it was announced today by Thomas J. Pritzker, chairman of The Hyatt Foundation which sponsors the prize. The formal ceremony
for what has come to be known throughout the world as architecture’s highest honor will be in one of Washington, D.C.’s finest classical buildings, the Andrew W. Mellon Auditorium on June 2.

Mar 30, 11 10:52 am  · 
 · 
jetvancake

wow. did not see page 2. dammit.

Mar 30, 11 10:54 am  · 
 · 

Hawkin - it's actually been 19 years since Siza won.... scary, but, yeah...

Mar 30, 11 11:15 am  · 
 · 
oguard

Conrad Newel is at it again.

http://famousarchitect.blogspot.com/2011/03/75-predicting-pritzker.html

Predicted the pritzker with almost perfect precision

Mar 31, 11 11:50 am  · 
 · 
bye bye bayou

Here's a nice little NPR segment about Souto de Moura

http://www.npr.org/2011/03/29/134931101/architect-eduardo-souto-de-moura-wins-pritzker

Mar 31, 11 9:10 pm  · 
 · 
metal

generic architecture wins pritzker yay

Apr 1, 11 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
Hawkin

@Greg Walker... that's scary!! Dunno, I thought he had won the prize in the 2000s.

Funny most young architects in the room seem not to like ESdM. I am not the biggest fan (this guy and AS are sometimes too obsessive in their minimalism) but definitely is more than "generic architecture".

Probably too much "parametricism" and Zaha?

Apr 2, 11 9:52 am  · 
 · 
metal

he is good, but not unique enough IMO

Apr 2, 11 2:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: