Archinect
anchor

Why won't employers hire interns without a lot of experience

Ok, the linked page had it okay. The small print (on my screen) was hard to read. 

Aug 4, 14 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Richard, got the link, what a lovely tribute piece to her. The 50’s & 60’s was a brutal time for architecture but just look at what she created at The Maritime Museum. Looked it up (museum web site) and was floored by the stellar photograph. Was that curtain wall element created by her or later by another architect? Could not find any mention of Ebba as the architect in the history or elsewhere…I just hate that….please make it your duty to create a small paragraph on her and the history of the building and politely ask the museum to include it in the history. They are obviously proud of the building they too should be proud of who created it….you owe this to Ebba.

With Wicks/Brown being a foundation to your practice and your love/interest in their history you should consider creating a small foundation to help maintain their works in Astoria. When Bill Kessler died I set out to start a foundation that would help owners of Kessler’s work maintain the buildings, preserve them and troubleshoot problems without cost to them, as a tribute to Bill. I also thought the foundation could help promote listing some works on the national register. While it would do these things I filed it under “marketing”. Imagine the people you will meet and the opportunities for work that could develop. It’s a soft-soft sell of you. At the start I knew it would all be pro-bono but Bill had a lot of rich friends that were interested in donating. Just start with a simple webpage with the history of them and lots of pictures of their buildings around town. Email the current owners with a link inviting them to explore, learn and contact you at the foundation if they have any questions or need help. You will find something quickly even if it’s a leaky roof at first…the foundations purpose is to help take the frustration out of owning these works and keep them from being torn down. Eventually you will find one that needs to do something serious like do a renovation or building preservation, the foundation can help lead, promote and advertise the cause/effort. Astoria is a small town and your work will spread quickly and bleed over to neighboring communities in newspaper articles with you being quoted in them. This is a big tribute to Wicks/Brown but it’s also a way to get your capabilities out there, get a reputation as a good-guy, a community activist and a go-to-guy to solve problems that will grow your practice guaranteed.

Aug 5, 14 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Richard, forgot to mention Ebba's quote were she learned the true meaning of the Finnish word "Sisu" - Tenacity of Purpose". I'm going to spead that around everywhere and you should apply Sisu to the Wicks/Brown Foundation. Thanks for the opportunity to learn today.

Also discovered a web site that promotes/teaches all the tings I'm trying to teach/prompte...going to spead it around too....you should look-up and subscribe too, it will help your purpose http://www.entrearchitect.com/ Go to page two for the body of work there.

Aug 5, 14 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
jdparnell1218

@ Tint,

"Whether or not IDP is easy depends on your situation. I had to move to finish it. Well I guess I didn't HAVE to, but I already worked for the best firm (there were only 3 firms total) in my small city and they turned out to be misogynist chauvinistic limbaugh listening bible thumpers and eventually we just didn't get along so well and I didn't want to finish my IDP with either of the 2 other firms so I moved 700 miles to a big city to finish IDP. Would've started my own firm if I would have had the skills to do so. But I still had 1,200 hours of servitude left or something like that. How about architectural servant? Is that allowed?"

That sounds like complaining to me.  At least complaining about your boss.  Also, if you would've  started your own firm, I wonder where you would have gotten the start-up capitol, client list, projects et cetera.  How confident are you in your abilities to deal with clients and contractors on your own?  Just curious.

Aug 5, 14 1:02 pm  · 
 · 

Carerra,

My own path to licensure is definitely a bit of a Sisu story in the works. 

Aug 5, 14 4:17 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: