Archinect
anchor

How to incorporate music background in m.arch portfolio?

cmarshalle

I am applying to m.arch programs with a b.s. in business and a minor in music. I have taken a few 3D studio arts courses and will be including that kind of work in my port. However, I am trying to decide on the best way to show my creative potential via music.

Here's a little background: I have been playing music since I was about 8yo and started composing for piano at about 11. I play piano primarily as well as winds, and percussion. During junior high and hs I started writing choral pieces and works for symphonic band. I have continued to play and write while in college pursuing my music minor. Most of my experience though comes from self investigation as I have had very little classical training in piano or composition. My minor is a general minor based mostly in musicology and history. I do think I have a great ability to communicate thought via music though.

Anyways I am trying to find the best way to use this to my advantage in my applications. Most of the schools I have talked to have said it would be fine to include a disk of audio recordings, but even if they do listen, I don't know how they would judge these. They are unlikely to have extensive music training and this is not an app to a music school. I could also send scores, but that would be even harder for them to understand.

One idea I had was to maybe combine music with another medium to make it more understandable. I was planning to include some photography, but honestly I am really a hobby photographer. I have a few photos I am really proud of though, and I think they are worthy of the port. So what if I took three good photos and wrote three "musical sketches" to help convey the emotion each photo? I think this could only make the music and the photos stronger and show my ability to compose.

Anyways, I just thought this was an interesting topic and wanted to see if anyone had any feedback or other ideas. It might be important also to note that my recording capabilities are somewhat limited. I don't have any high quality recordings of my bigger works.

Dec 3, 10 4:41 pm
Distant Unicorn

CS5 Indesign lets you embed directly into PDF files either by direct embedding (large file sizes) or on a remote server (most free hosting sites will not let you host this kind of content for free).

There's a few widgets for embedded youtube, vimeo and other flash (either FLV or SWF) files using Acrobat 9.0+.

Additionally, Acrobat 9 allows for some flexibility in embedding interactive content within PDFs. However, if you're doing layout in another program, you will have to leave spaces and "guess it."

The only downside is that when PDFs try to access the internet, they throw up all sorts of warnings (both in Acrobat and by your antivirus).

A computer savvy person will generally accept the file access. However, a prude person will be terrified by it and probably not view it and immediately delete your portfolio.

If you do add this kind of interactivity into a pdf, I would maybe add in some subtle gradient transitions or some animations (moving patterns et cetera) to emphasize that your PDF file is a media rich file and therefore does unexpected things).

Dec 3, 10 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

There is nothing as joyful as a musical PDF. Make sure the text blinks to the sound of the music. Has anyone ever tried building a portfolio on Myspace? I would love to see that.

Your second option is to glue together a bunch of recordable greeting cards.

Third option is to just list your music accomplishments in your portfolio, and show a link to an online source of recordings, as well as including them on a USB stick. Simple.

Having some music background will not hurt your chances for getting accepted in an arch. school but you will need to show a lot more than that. You need to show ability (or potential) to be able to visually express complex ideas.

Instead of writing music for photography, why not go the other way around? Try to visualize the favorite piece you composed. Like a music video. Music videos can be very architectural in their nature.

Dec 3, 10 6:02 pm  · 
 · 

you could buy a card with one of those little switches that starts playing 'old fashioned rock'n'roll' when you flip the cover open. just tape it in!

Dec 3, 10 7:51 pm  · 
 · 
Schrödinger's cat
Sagmeister's

thesis project (circa 1986 - a series of interactive postcards) included a postcard that turned into a record player (can't find an image on the web, but I have the book - one half rolls up to form the phonograph which has a needle, and the other half is the record, which you rotate by hand)... Maybe you're too young to remember the records that were included on the back of cereal boxes - but that would be more interesting than a dumb pdf - a physical photo that somehow also played music that you composed about that photo.

warning - link may be somewhat NSFW, as it includes his famous AIGA poster.

Dec 3, 10 10:31 pm  · 
 · 
howdyhass

@cmarshalle: I think you are saying you want to make a portfolio for architecture graduate school? You said you write music? Try comparing that with parametric design. The process of parametric design parallels with writing music, for instance, changing the key, tempo, or beat, can create complete different feelings of the piece, etc, and you could elaborate more on that.
You can visualize that your process of writing music through diagramic drawings and models. Such as http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlvUepMa31o and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF0-wGbRqEs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssJutXkpSlY) as rustystuds already mentioned.

Dec 3, 10 10:40 pm  · 
 · 
cmarshalle

Hmmm....well this post was obviously a bad idea. I'll stick with my own ideas I suppose and see how things turn out.

Dec 3, 10 10:50 pm  · 
 · 
cmarshalle

@howdyhass
Thanks for the help...I am applying to m.arch programs from a non-arch background. I just wanted to try to incorporate a bit of my composing background, and I agree there are parallels between composing music and design. I don't want to make a portfolio with a background jingle. I just want to show my ability as a composer and how that ability can help me in design. And its not that I'm a great composer or that its my only ability, I just think thats a unique ability and if presented correctly could help set me apart from all the other non-arch undergrads who took a few studio art classes and loved legos as a kid.

Maybe I should look at some ways to visually model the composition process though...thats an interesting avenue. The youtube videos are pretty interesting, but again I am trying to get this into portfolio. I have at least had some schools say they would listen to audio examples on a CD or flash drive, but I think anything more than that is pushing the limits. I was really just considering 2-3 very short audio tracks that connected back to the portfolio. I think anything more would be too much.

Dec 3, 10 11:07 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!
"well this post was obviously a bad idea. I'll stick with my own ideas I suppose"

what was so horrible about the advice you were given here? Does it seem like too much work? If you want to do a Ken Burns style photo slideshow with some poorly recorded music on top, then by all means go for it.

Guess what? 2 million other (mostly) boy-men also create music while armed with a macbook.

Architecture is incredibly competitive. Modern undergrad should be much more that someone who "took a few studio art classes and loved legos as a kid".

Technology has moved on. An ideal candidate will have experience with music production, web development, graphic design, video editing, etc...

"Maybe I should look at some ways to visually model the composition process though...thats an interesting avenue."

I think you should.

Dec 3, 10 11:20 pm  · 
 · 
cmarshalle

"Make sure the text blinks to the sound of the music"....yeah and I think I will hire dancing girls to deliver the port to the schools.

I'm not trying to be shitty about this, but you don't see tons of posts on here about music. It is a bit unique. Maybe even more so depending on your ability in my opinion.

I am trying to find ways to distinguish myself creatively. Anyone who has taken a few thousand photos will have a few good landscapes. Anyone who takes a 3D intro studio will hopefully have one project that is worthy of documenting. I am just trying to find ways to do something that is somewhat unique.

I could sit down at my synth and recreate any major symphonic work I wanted to if I took the time. That is the nature of technology. Just as well, anyone with an arch undergrad could probably recreate every exact detail of any architectural masterpiece.

I've spent the last few years researching m.arch programs for non arch undergrads and there is a recurrence in the portfolio process.."show your individual creativity." These schools want to see creative potential. I'm not trying to be an architect or a photographer or a sculptor or painter in my port. My strength is in music and composing it and understanding it.

Maybe I should try to incorporate more of these thoughts in my essay rather than the port, but I think there is a lot of connection between musical composition and design, and I guess I should say I am not sitting at a macbook cutting and pasting music. I sit at a piano, usually at least a few hours a day, and I create. Everyday is something new. I am not trying to justify what I have accomplished musically, I just want to expose another aspect of my mind and creative ability.

I don't want a port with some cheesy accompaniment, and I don't want to send a recording of me playing beethoven's sonatas. I want something unique that shows that I have a distinct talent in music that could really add something unique to a group of non arch undergrad m.arch class.

Dec 4, 10 12:28 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!
""Make sure the text blinks to the sound of the music"....yeah and I think I will hire dancing girls to deliver the port to the schools. "

I was just making fun of unicorn for his PDF rant. My last point (about reinterpreting your own music with other media) is still valid.

Also, you need to exercise patience. You gave up on this thread 6 hours later. Most of the action on this site happens in the a.m. eastern time (when some of us are ahem... still asleep). Wait another day...

Otherwise, I like the cut of your jib. You are well spoken (written?) and you will probably come up with a great idea to showcase your music as means of abstract thought.

I have played keyboards in a few rock bands (bad ones of course) and have always kept music creation as one of my favorite pastimes. Word of warning, the really talented musicians in architecture (and I met quite a few of them, much more talented than me) never quite got too comfy in this profession. There is a great divide between a musical brain and that of a shyster-big-talker alpha-architect.

Do you have much experience with MIDI? I always wish I could have done a school project while using the analog mode of signal transmission. Not only can you control external instruments, you can also control lights, and all kinds of moving, blinking, noise-making devices. I always thought there was a great potential for MIDI in architecture.

There is something very musical about architecture. From patterns to beats, from tempo to texture (as howdyhass pointed out). There is lots of opportunity for exploration. Be prepared for an uphill battle though. This of this assignment as your first test.

Also don't look down on others. Architecture applicants ≠ lego blocks wannabees. Other musicians ≠ cut and paste compilers. etc...

Dec 4, 10 1:08 am  · 
 · 
cmarshalle

I think I was just in a bit of a bad mood last night. For some reason I had the idea to take a full course load this semester while also working and trying to apply to schools. Its getting down to crunch time now, and I am turning into a miserable person for the next few weeks.

Keep the comments coming and thanks for the advice.

Dec 4, 10 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

I wasn't implying that you should make a MySpace-esque portfolio. I was just pointing out that there's quite a number of ways to make a PDF 'multimedia.' That way you don't have an odd assortment of objects constituting a portfolio.

However, never underestimate 'lazy art.' If you make something so intentionally awful, it is therefore good. Everyone tries soo much to make a 'great' portfolio but I've seen very few examples of someone going far out of their way to make the most awful thing possible.

Dec 4, 10 7:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: