Archinect
anchor

Portfolio crit - non-arch / fine arts / design background

Pythagoras

Hi !

Here it is. My inaugural attempt at putting tog a design portfolio for applying to M.Arch programs. I am considering applying to MUP with concentration in Urban Design as well. I hope this portfolio will seal the deal for me, but I honestly dont have much confidence in my work - hence, decided to put it up here for some comments/feedback. Thanks in advance.

http://issuu.com/francisf/docs/notaportfolio

Nov 24, 10 11:34 am
med.

Can't see it...

Nov 24, 10 11:42 am  · 
 · 
Pythagoras

oops. I have just checked the link. It works fine.
Issuu has recently updated their site, and it's not for the better.
i had some problems initially too.
do click on the link again.
Thanks med.

Nov 24, 10 11:49 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

You have some bad rags, rivers, widows and orphans.

Nov 24, 10 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
Pythagoras

vado retro - please be specific. giving negative comments without going into the details is not being helpful at all.

pls don't make me regret putting this up....

Nov 24, 10 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
Pythagoras

you were referring to the drawings!

anyway i hope there'll be more comments from other archinecters
if the feedback is generally negative, then i'll rethink my decision to apply to arch. perhaps, i am not cut out for it.

Nov 24, 10 8:28 pm  · 
 · 

vado is really almost never negative. pretty sure he meant bad=coolio.

the work is pretty good. i like the numbers lamp, and drawings are nice.

i only looked quickly but my first impression was that you have something to offer. I found the lamp project to be a little bit too many pages and in general feel the layout for most of the pages is too scattered/lacking hierarchy. hopefully someone with good graphic design skills will give you advice on how to tighten things up.

which is not a great deal of help i know. i just didn't want you thinking the content was bad and that was why there was not much response so far.

Nov 24, 10 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
Pythagoras

thanks jump, for the encouragement. prior to your comments, I did not receive any positive comments on my work.

and yes, I totally agree with you that the layout is lacking. I don't quite know to improve it further. Just learnt how to use indesign recently for the purpose of laying out my portfolio pages.
Nevertheless, i shall take a second look at it before I send for printing, while hoping that a skilled graphic designer can give me some expert tips! even if i dont make it to grad sch, I know I have tried my best.

Nov 24, 10 11:17 pm  · 
 · 
Pythagoras

ps vado - i took the 'bad' meaning too literally, when i shldn't.
well, thanks to jump for the pointing it out.

Nov 25, 10 12:54 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

i was referring to the typography and layout rather than the work.

rag:

When setting a block of text unjustified with a left or right alignment, be sure to keep the rag (the uneven side) balanced without any sudden “holes” or awkward shapes. A bad rag can be unsettling to the eye and distract the reader. A good rag has a “soft” unevenness, without any lines that are too long or too short. There is no way of controlling this in CSS, so to achieve a good rag you must make manual adjustments to the block of text.

rivers: Rivers occur due to a combination of the x-height of the typeface (whether the type appears broad or skinny), the values assigned to the widths of various characters, and the degree of control over character spacing and word spacing. Broader typefaces are more prone to exhibit rivers, as are the less sophisticated typesetting applications that offer little control over spacing. Increased sentence spacing can also exaggerate the river effect. More sophisticated typesetting applications divide individual characters into larger numbers, giving more numerical control. They also offer more comprehensive libraries of "kerning pairs" that tell the application how much space to allow between all possible combinations of letter pairs.

widows and orphans: In typesetting, widows and orphans are words or short lines at the beginning or end of a paragraph, which are left dangling at the top or bottom of a column, separated from the rest of the paragraph.

lorem ipsum

Nov 25, 10 1:10 am  · 
 · 

lol. i had no idea.

Nov 25, 10 7:05 am  · 
 · 
sarmath

i want to be pos, but my quick response is the layout is not super hot....

Nov 25, 10 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
Pythagoras

thanks sarmath. yeah, I took a second look my port yesterday. I shouldn't delude myself. Just saw another portfolio posted by a fellow archinecter with urban planning/design background. That's probably the standard Adcomms are looking for !

anyway, I learnt a lot about typesetting from vado....orphans, widows, rivers, rags. Got rid of most of them! Took me 3 hrs. But it's all worth it, cus I think it made my port look less bad.

I am going to send my port for printing. If the end product looks ok, I may apply to one program. The final decision is still up in the air.

anyway, good luck to all other fellow archinecters : )

Nov 25, 10 9:39 pm  · 
 · 
erjonsn

link isn't working for me either...

Nov 25, 10 9:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: