Archinect
anchor

Favorite album from 2010

headyshreddy

I tend to be an album person. I buy them as albums and I feel they deserve (pet sounds) or don't deserve (congratulations) to heard as such. I like the way "Desperado" starts and finishes on a familiar taste of title and tone while "American Psycho" takes you on a never-ending thrill ride (or at least it used to).

While this year has shown a strange oscillation in music towards that and something other, It has been a decent year for music. What are your favorite albums from 2010?

noted: you should probably add an all-time favorite, even if its just a current phase.

Nov 23, 10 1:37 am
headyshreddy

excuse the poorly written piece above. anyways i guess ill start it off.

2010: iii / iv [ryan adams & the cardinals]
all time: ziggy stardust [bowie 72]

Nov 23, 10 9:36 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i have three|

cee-lo
kayne
big boi

Nov 23, 10 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
blah

The new Autumn Defense album...

Once Around

They played a great show in my neighborhood at Lincoln Hall on Saturday night.

Nov 23, 10 12:11 pm  · 
 · 

What I have purchased this year and enjoyed

On Wax
Mount Kimbie Crooks & Lovers
Big Boi's Sir Lucious Left Foot The Son of Chico Dusty
Gil Scott-Heron's Im New Here
Digital Mystikz Return II Space

On CD/MP3
Sade's new one Soldier of Love
Gonjasufi's A Sufi and a Killer
Ikonika's Contact Love Want Have
Yeasayer's Odd Blood

Rediscovered
Belle and Sebastian's Fold Your ands Like a Peasant

Nov 23, 10 12:54 pm  · 
 · 

I apologize, but I have to go back to 2009 for albums i really love as collections of songs making a single entity:

Ike Reilly - Hard Luck Stories - Irish poetry/rap storytelling crossed with bar band rock and LOTS of swearing (every single one of his albums holds together as a rocknroll novel)
Cracker - Sunrise in the Land of Milk and Honey - finely crafted cynical political rock and revolution, but edgy middle-aged if such a thing exists
Ben Sollee - Learning to Bend - young alternative cello singer-songwriter with environmental issues and soul, and he tours via bicycle!

Nov 23, 10 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

Marina and the Diamonds-- Family Jewels

Awww yeah.

Nov 23, 10 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
rascuache

So far this year, Arcade Fire - Suburbs and Flying Lotus - Pattern+Grid World.

One all time is just super difficult, I could probably mention 10 record which are all the most important and just as important as each other to me.

Nov 23, 10 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

Oh, all time favorite album--

Xiu Xiu-- Fabulous Muscles

Nov 23, 10 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
headyshreddy

ras - i understand your issue. i just thought it may be important as these forums tend to get judgmental quickly.

im definitely having a pirate feast today.

Nov 23, 10 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
mdler
Nov 23, 10 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

I mostly listened to classics this year (Im pretty young so it was new to me...)

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Bill Evans - Portrait in Jazz

Actually new:
Bedouin Soundclash - Light the Horizon
John Mayer - Battle Studies
Also, been listening to Junip (Jose Gonzalez's new project) not sure what I think about it though....

Nov 23, 10 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

every year KEXP in Seattle does a listener nominated 'top 100' albums of the year. Im sure that many radio stations do the same, but sense KEXP is the best radio station out there, there's is probably the best

Nov 23, 10 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
not_here

Bassnectar - Timestretch

Nov 23, 10 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
headyshreddy

donna - ben is a good friend of mine from home and school, im glad to see he's out there elsewhere. have you seen the work he did with the sparrow quartet. the girl is woah!

Nov 23, 10 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
binary

aux88-black tokyo album (since i did the photography and built a furniture piece for it... if you like detroit electro...aux88.com)

big boi... the shutterbug track is bananas

em's recovery... (even though i think his infinite album is the best)

Nov 23, 10 11:51 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

It's technically just outside of 2010 (Nov. 2009)... but I have been thoroughly enjoying it. Probably my favorite in the drinks-too-much-cough-syrup category.

If you like your music balls insane, then you should get PREGNANT.

You can download the full album for free.

Nov 24, 10 12:29 am  · 
 · 
awkeytect

the national : High Violet

Nov 24, 10 12:33 am  · 
 · 
Medusa

Blockhead - The Music Scene

Nov 26, 10 12:09 am  · 
 · 
Medusa

Nas & Damian Marley - Distant Relatives

Nov 26, 10 12:09 am  · 
 · 
AP
the xx

(self titled album, click link for a free listen) is pretty great, but my favorite for the year would have to be wait what's "the notorious xx" - a mix of the xx album with vocal tracks from the notorius b.i.g.
instant classic, but hard to find online anymore (cease and desist was issued to the dj for using the biggie tracks w/o permission)...

Nov 26, 10 2:27 am  · 
 · 
a-f

Unicorn Ghost: Thanks for the tip - Pregnant sounds like a hybrid of Danielson of Bibio. Really good!

2010: Owen Pallett "Heartland"
all-time: John Coltrane "A Love Supreme"

Nov 26, 10 4:46 am  · 
 · 
jealous of the world

Local Natives - Gorilla Manor
Surfer Blood - Astro Coast

all-time: Descendents - All

Nov 26, 10 10:27 am  · 
 · 
antipod

De Staat - 'Wait for Evolution' has barely left my ears for months. I had a little cry when they cancelled their London gig. Boo.

Honourable Mentions:

Agnostic Mountain Gospel Choir - 'Ten Thousand'
Fitz & The Tantrums - 'Pickin' Up The Pieces'
The Black Keys - 'Brothers'
The Clowns - 'Not Funny...But Hot' (Only an EP on d/load so far).

Nov 26, 10 11:26 am  · 
 · 
headyshreddy

AP...i wish i could hug you. this notorious xx is awesome. track one just blew my fucking mind.

Dec 1, 10 11:33 pm  · 
 · 
a mouse

Tame Impala: innerspeaker
Grinderman: Grinderman 2
Arcade Fire: the Subburbs

Dec 1, 10 11:40 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

iamamiwhoami - watch the videos. freakishly amazing.

Dec 2, 10 12:11 am  · 
 · 
prairie school drop out

this year was all about old stuff. the only thing "new" that i bought was kurt vile's childish prodigy (and i actually haven't listened to it yet). looking back, it was all sorta darkwave/goth, but it was also a crap year.
most listened to old albums of 2010:

the church-starfish
dead can dance- st
gun club -fire of love
vitesse- a certain hostility
let's active -cypress/afoot (two eps reissued as one?)
cocteau twins- treasure, blue bell knoll
broadcast-work and non work
espers-st
all those peter gabriel self titleds
dream syndicate-days of wine and roses

best shows? the gories, michel rother. disappointment? the clean!

Dec 2, 10 1:03 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

boy... this is hard, there were some decent albums this year...

faves 2010
pantha du prince, black noise
scuba, triangulation
the aforementioned fly-lo. insane.
terry riley, in C
john roberts, glass eights, a stunning delight.
efdemin, chicago (track, night train...)
the black dog, music for real airports

fave all time
steve reich, music for 18 musicians

Dec 2, 10 2:13 am  · 
 · 
abrillAY

im loving the pantha du prince right now too.

as for albums, i have a few personal faves that can only be listened to from start to finish... taking a song out of context is just wrong. these include Hospital Music - Matt Good, When the Angels Make Contact - Matt Mays, and Hospice - The Antlers. They don't necessarily reflect my taste in music, but they're just so damn cohesive.

Dec 2, 10 2:37 am  · 
 · 
beekay31

My favorite music of 2010 is all free music.

wait what may have been taken down, but you can still get Girl Talk's latest mish mash mix for free. Never thought I'd ever hear Ozzy Ozbourne battle Ludacris or Fugazi-Waiting Room/ Rihanna-Rude Boy for that matter:

http://illegal-art.net/allday/

Dec 2, 10 2:57 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

I'll seconf the new Girl Talk as being barrel-of-monkeys fun.

Dec 2, 10 3:35 am  · 
 · 
beekay31

Also I dug the Obits "I Blame You" album of 2009, if that counts, for the old Rocket From The Crypt/ Drive Like Jehu/ Hot Snakes crowd:

http://www.subpop.com/artists/obits

Dec 2, 10 3:40 am  · 
 · 

AP that shit is badass. I swear I will never get tired of mashups..

Dec 2, 10 9:40 am  · 
 · 
randomized

Well, if I have to choose it must be the XX for 2010, although they were in VPRO's Song of the Year 2009 list already. And Holy Fuck's latest album Latin is very enjoyable too.

And overall I have to say CD2 from Radiohead's In Rainbows (and CD1 for that matter too) and I got to appreciate the work of Fuck Buttons recently...

Apparently I'm going through some electronic/noise phase.

Dec 2, 10 10:07 am  · 
 · 
CMNDCTRL

Ke$ha!!

kidding...

i vote for open hand's honey or deftones' diamond eyes

i also loved the icarus line single/EP and autolux's transit transit!

Dec 2, 10 10:38 am  · 
 · 

Also re: mashups Mos Dub wasn't too bad

Dec 2, 10 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
joe

thanks. new music is always a good thing.

Dec 2, 10 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

also, deadbeat's roots and wire came out in 2008, but i didn't pick it up til recently.

holy sh*t. this is one ridiculously bombtastic album

Dec 2, 10 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
n_

The Notorious XX is great. If you like mashups, I highly recommend this one (also, one of my favorite albums of 2010):

Wu-Tang vs. The Beatles

Love, love, love, love, love this album. Similar to Notorious XX, it's been removed from many websites but it's a free download. You just have to search. Well-worth it.

Dec 2, 10 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
Chris Riley

sufjan stevens- the age of adz

Dec 4, 10 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
usernametaken

As best albums of the year, I'm doubting between some records. My taste in music is a bit different than most records named before, though:

Masshysteri - Masshysteri http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAPsC7ZnbZg
Zwart Licht - No juju http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yfgm89l5rs4
Kvelertak - Kvelertak http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmhVKq-vUMs&feature=related
Iron Chic - Not like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA1d689lzcw
Krallice - Dimensional Breakthrough (even though I'm not sure if this one is from 2010?) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc0MlvTDwlg&feature=related
Burzum - Belus http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKCgV__C-Lw

Best song would be easier for me, this year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_EsYmPwYWI&feature=channel

Dec 5, 10 6:35 am  · 
 · 

i know mine are more mainstream than most of these entries, but i still can't get over how good the black key's "brothers" and broken bells "broken bells" are.

Dec 5, 10 7:35 am  · 
 · 

Steven, the Black Keys keep making consistently good electric blues. Nothing wrong with that.

As for usernametaken, that Krallice is epic. Did you like Xasthur's Portal of Sorrow?

Dec 5, 10 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
usernametaken

For me, Xasthur is pretty difficult to get really into, because of all the weird dissonances. Very atmospheric, but not that accessible. As far as black metal can be accessible, of course...

Dec 5, 10 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
beekay31

This isn't a pro or anti-black metal comment. But I'm just wondering why it has reemerged recently? What's the impetus?

Dec 7, 10 4:52 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

death metal? now? aggressive, and angry white youth. plus, i love heavy bass, and phat, fast drumming.

Dec 7, 10 5:23 am  · 
 · 

tim exile - listening tree (warp) finally something good on warp again. actually from 2008 but hey!!!

Dec 7, 10 11:12 am  · 
 · 

anything by finnish 303 master-
jori julkkonen.

Dec 7, 10 11:19 am  · 
 · 
CMNDCTRL

ok..i was lying. i HAVE to add ke$ha. cannibal the song is infectious. i admit it....

Dec 7, 10 1:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: