Archinect
anchor

portfolio crit v2

liviu.tedorescu

Any comments and ideas are helpful.
I re-did some graphics and messed around with some renderings.
The work-sample is mostly intended for a master application but I'll use it to apply to certain jobs too. Please feel free to tear me a new one...

Oct 17, 10 11:48 am
liviu.tedorescu
http://issuu.com/liviu.teodorescu/docs/liviu_teodorescu_portfolio

the link...I forgot

Oct 17, 10 11:49 am  · 
 · 

i didn't look at anything closely, but after a quick flip through i have a few comments...

1) the work looks good...
2) most, if not all, of the page layouts are way too busy for my taste... white space is your friend... let it breathe... prioritize which images need to be shown... for instance, on the first project there are a lot of very similar images... on p.6-7 the two main renderings aren't different enough to warrant including both... same thing for the wireframe on the previous spread...
3) my first reaction was that the cover was nice and clean... then when i opened to the first spread i literally said "sheesh, what the hell is that" when i saw the mess of sketches and stuff... definitely show process, but do it cleanly...

basically my biggest comment would be that you need to simplify...

Oct 17, 10 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
liviu.tedorescu

I know what you are saying. My first version was simple and white but ultimately boring. I really don't think it's messy because every project has a beginning a middle and an end and the graphics are consistent throughout. As for the mentioned renderings I think they show different situations in the site. The bridge and tower relation and the tower from afar day and night. It's the same thing basically but that's the project, one giant cross. I think it comes down to taste. Thanks though.

Oct 17, 10 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
liviu.tedorescu

Oh I forgot. Most schools I'm applying to limit the number of pages per portfolio. 30 pages I think so the thing has to be somewhat dense.

Oct 17, 10 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
not_here

your resume is creepy.
i'm sorry but there's a lot of extra info there that makes it seem that way.

Oct 18, 10 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

Starting from the top:

- Resume: I don't know if 'creepy' is the right word so much as wordy. You could easily eliminate most of the descriptive titles. It seems too much like a government form application. Unless of course you want to go with that idea...in that case, you need to really exploit the design possibilities of that.

- Table of Contents: Reminds me of Perry Kulper's work, but without the rigor. I get what you are trying to do, but right now it reads as being really messy. The text has no association with the graphics- maybe you should tie them in so it's all one composition:

- The remainder pages really are quite dense, to the point of not really caring what is on them. Page 23 is a good example of WAY too much going on. I think what you need to do is to sit down with each project and really think about why it is important to include in your portfolio. This could be things like:
- This project demonstrates modeling and rendering skills
- This project shows wall sections and details
- This project represents my best design/design sensibilities
- This project has great diagrams and concept
List the top 1-2 reasons the project is important and use the portfolio to showcase that. Not every part of every project is important. Maybe 1 or 2 projects get explained in detail, but maybe some of the others only focus on a specific detail or element and other things about that project get left out or pushed into the background.

- Also think about the amount and size of content per page. Most of these pages have a similar amount and size of content, which makes it look like wallpaper after a few pages. Take some of the best renderings and fill a page with them with nothing else on it. You can do this once you trim some of the unnecessary sketches and drawings. For example, the Schlinder Award project explains the 'Y' concept 3 times on the same spread using slightly different representation means. A sketch of the section is right next to the model of the section which both convey identical information. The elevation drawings are nothing special, esp. since we have a rendering that tells the same story. These are the types of redundancies that could be eliminated and free some space for a cleaner layout.

- For your graphic style and projects, I would look through some of the Morphosis monographs and see how that graphically arrange and distribute images and data on the projects.

Oct 18, 10 6:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: