Archinect
anchor

BIM contract

herrarchitekt

Our office is putting together a BIM modeled project with a local municipal department.
I am seeking a contract with BIM specific language. I believe the AIA has something; which I'll be looking at after I post this.
Any insight into recommended specific language for transfer of BIM digital data & associated responsibilities, etc.?
Thank you!

Oct 6, 10 9:19 pm
Janosh

Dunno about an AIA document (I looked for one previously and came up empty) but a helpful individual on another threat pointed me towards this:

http://www.engr.psu.edu/ae/cic/bimex/

Oct 7, 10 12:02 am  · 
 · 
Janosh

Viola - found right here on Archinect: Its E202

http://www.aia.org/contractdocs/training/bim/AIAS078742

Oct 7, 10 12:12 am  · 
 · 
postal

wake, you're going to want to put together a combination of the PSU BIM Execution Plan and the E202. Or it seems these are two relatively necessary components to ensuring everyone understands what they are getting/giving.

So, PSU has this "Information Exchange" which is a great starting point, but will need to be heavily tailored to your needs. One of the major changes we made, was incorporating the E202 "Levels of Detail" into the "Information Exchange" Matrix.

Then you should develop something in addition to the E202 that describes everyones understanding of the Level's of Detail. AIA's definitions are broad (scary broad)... it helps to describe and give examples within your model. So when you talk about LOD 400 and it says there are manufacturing details in there, what our you talking about. In our minds, we aren't really going above and beyond 300 unless there is contractor input, like they changed manufacturers, or re-routed some ductwork.

So, it's important to understand your scope, and to understand where your data is coming from. So, if you do a record BIM that incorporates data from your contractor, you need to think about all the caveats of relying on that information and how that affects your liability.

there's a ton of other good but not essential stuff in the PSU BEP thing too, which you should look over. But it's mostly planning type stuff, everyone of our clients just wants BIM and they throw it out there at the last minute. For some other perspective, Indiana University is requiring BIM and has quite a bit put together up front. http://www.indiana.edu/~uao/iubim.html

also, there's some more good stuff on the BIM Central thread

and, I'm curious wake, how big and what general region is this municipality?

Oct 7, 10 10:09 am  · 
 · 

A big issue for any BIM project is to decide how much "I" about the "B" you are going to put in the "M".

Some people use the model just for making sure the geometry of the design intent is correct and represents well on 2D printed drawings like traditional construction documents. Some people also use very detailed and precise models for fabrication, and have all the specification related information built into every component of the model. These two options are at opposite ends of the spectrum with regards to the time it takes to produce them. I know of several instances where a firm ended up having to do more work than they expected because the contract was unclear (to the client or contractor's favor) with regards to the quantity of information in the model. If any consultants are working in a BIM environment too, you have to make sure there are agreements in place with regards to how often you coordinate the model together and how changes get communicated.

Another issue which is similar to one from the days of 2D drawings is who gets to use the model? I have worked on several projects where the fire sprinkler subcontractor wants the architect's floor and ceiling plans so they can do the piping layout for shop drawings. I never thought they should get that information for free, but many of my previous employers didn't agree. Anyhow, will sub contractors request the BIM model too, and how will the designer be held responsible for issues of accuracy? What if the sub contractor has to use software packages other than the native file format of the BIM file, who is responsible for lost data in the conversion process?

I think architecture has a lot to learn from other industries that have collaborative workflows between multiple parties and have a successful method for tracking changes across versions and general data process management.

Good luck.

Oct 8, 10 9:40 am  · 
 · 
herrarchitekt

houseofmud, thanks for the links!

postal, thanks for the insight & links. The projects are in the Phoenix area and the municipality is relatively small.

maisonorion, thanks for the tips. I understand it is critical to clearly articulate how much detail will be incorporated & how far our MEP guys take these models.

This has been very helpful guys, I appreciate it!

Best,
wakeNbuild

Oct 9, 10 11:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: