Archinect
anchor

Do you think there should be a TV network dedicated to architecture?

maisonneuve

I was just wondering why there aren't any architecture TV networks?
I was having this huge debate with people today in my studio and I was surprised some of them thought that such a thing would not work. There seems to be a lot of people interested in the topic. Lots of sites devoted to architecture and forums, but no TV networks. There are TV networks that specialize in law, some in food, lots in sports/fitness, some in health, but none really in architecture.
I know there are sites online that have architecture videos, and some sites that just specialize in videos. What I mean is an actual TV network similar to CNN, CNBC, ESPN, TLC,etc...

Anyone know why?

I'd love to see one. What are peoples thoughts? Choose an answer and comment. I'll send the results to my classmates to stir the pot in our argument.

A. I would really enjoy such a channel and would watch it quite frequently.

B. I would like to see it, but it would depend on the programs that air.

C. I would watch it for the novelty of it, but not after that.

D. I would not like to see such a channel.

E. Such a channel would not last very long.

Sep 26, 10 6:57 pm
Distant Unicorn

This would be more boring than the History channel which I absolutely loathe to no end.

Is there enough content out there to not resort to "historical pastiche?" Will you be like every other Discovery channel network and end up just yelling into the microphone in a stale, monotone voice?

Will you just end up selling out like Bravo and end up using a hilarious format for competitions or Docu-reality TV?

Sep 26, 10 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

ESPN, TLC

Neither of these are real networks. Real Networks would imply actually creating content rather than using content from other sources and re-purposing it as your own.

Sep 26, 10 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

um, HGTV? That's about as architecture of a TV station that will appeal to the general public as you are going to get.

Sep 26, 10 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

No not like hgtv... Less reality show or home improvement... I think instead it should be more like the travel channel...what they should do is an architect travel show ala Anthony Bourdain No Reservations... Except instead of food, it's architecture... Find a superb witty and entertaining writer / architect / travel documentarian who every week goes to a new city and explores the architecture there, has a local guide to show him around some of the sites... Not that there wouldn't be food on the travels, but the focus, and the narrator is an architect rather than a chef...

I would totally watch that! Who wants to start a career as the Anthony Bourdain of architecture?

Sep 27, 10 3:53 am  · 
 · 
bRink

And just like in no reservations, he doesn't just go to the famous restaurants, he actually delves into the everyday culture, eating what the locals eat as well... So the show should look at not just the superstar buildings but local everyday building of interest as well...

Sep 27, 10 3:59 am  · 
 · 

i'd watch brink's show.

a channel, though: who has time? the target audience should really be working instead.

Sep 27, 10 7:19 am  · 
 · 
Quentin

HGTV and DIY network

Sep 27, 10 9:26 am  · 
 · 
aquapura

The host of Build It Bigger claims he's an Architect. Pretting interesting show none the less.

Sure, network execs could slap together an "Architecture" channel, but I doubt it would be anything real Architects would watch. Similar to how we all snicker at places like Target selling a Mikey Graves toilet bowl brush and calling it "designer."

I would welcome some mainstream propaganda for Architects in general. Get some public awareness out there. Personally I think it should be a well scripted drama. We have plenty of those that revolve around doctors, lawyers, advertising agencies and law enforcement, who says you can't have an arch firm?

Sep 27, 10 10:13 am  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

Don't forget the monstrosity that is '9 by Design.'

So glad that got canceled. Hopefully. Fingers crossed.

Sep 27, 10 10:22 am  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

Aqua. He is. Kind of.

He runs an architecture firm in Brooklyn-- He was featured in Arch Record a little while back for a "LEED gold" home he designed in Northern Michigan. He graduated from MIT and is a faculty member of GSD.

What really kind of grinds my gears about him is his complacency as an "post-industrial intellectually-drained fan boy."

Look, if you go to his website right now-- http://www.dannyforster.com/-- the main headline is "Expanding Port Rotterdam: Dredging towards faster global trade."

WHAT THE PISS.

I'm not going to necessarily take an anti-industrialist, anti-business stance. But the wording in that in itself is completely devoid of any consequence.

It's not even an investigative title either where one uses the words "look," "introspective," "introduction," or "study." The specific wording on that more or less promotes expanding world trade and the extremely destructive processes that go along with it.

In addition, most Discovery Channel esque programming typically always has a similar formula:

1) Present a problem.
2) Interview dumb-downed experts or "experts."
3) 18 terrible CG clips
4) A half-assed solution that's talked about like you're curing malaria
5) 17 minutes of how awesome these companies are and how awesome their 'technology is'
6) Solution usually involves spraying the fuck out of it with chemicals or just having some company shit out a huge machine
7) Follow up with: "ISN'T MODERNITY AWESOME? THIS SHIT PROTECTS YOUR FAMILIES AND JAMS HOT POCKETS DOWN YOUR GULLETHOLE! IF IT WASNT FOR THIS FUCKING NUCLEAR-POWERED SEWAGE PUMP, WOLVES WOULD BE TEARING OUT YOUR FLESH AND RIVAL HOMINIDS WOULD BE RAPING YOUR DAUGHTERS."

Sep 27, 10 10:36 am  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

Triple post:

One has to remember that Reality TV, docu-drama, docu-reality et cetera... are a form of journalism and should be up to some journalistic standard.

Just because it isn't on a news channel or a major broadcaster doesn't make it necessarily immune from journalistic methodologies.

Sep 27, 10 10:38 am  · 
 · 
mdler

go to the bookstore. Count the number of magazines devoted to architecture. Enough said

Sep 27, 10 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

go to the bookstore. Count the number of magazines devoted to architecture. Enough said

Sep 27, 10 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?
No not like hgtv... Less reality show or home improvement... I think instead it should be more like the travel channel...what they should do is an architect travel show ala Anthony Bourdain No Reservations... Except instead of food, it's architecture... Find a superb witty and entertaining writer / architect / travel documentarian who every week goes to a new city and explores the architecture there, has a local guide to show him around some of the sites... Not that there wouldn't be food on the travels, but the focus, and the narrator is an architect rather than a chef...

dan cruickshank's show adventures in architecture is your answer !! (on ovation). it seems like dan did 5 or 6 shows and ovation keeps re-running 'em.

Sep 27, 10 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory
No not like hgtv... Less reality show or home improvement

I'm not saying HGTV is great, but for most people it's the most relatable and relevant exposure to architecture. Granted it's more interior design than actual construction, but it's real people with real houses with real problems (with solutions that sometimes are totally impractical and sometimes decent).

There are TV networks that specialize in law, some in food, lots in sports/fitness, some in health, but none really in architecture.

With the exception of law, these are all things that again, most people are going to be concerned about and are approachable to the average viewer. Food, health, fitness... all things that appeal to a general audience and have some actual impact. It's pretty easy to watch a 30 minute food program and then go and repeat the recipe later that day. Note that these are all topics that are frequently reality programs. Why? Because of the appeal of being able to see change and transformation at a level that seems attainable for anyone.

As for law TV... this feeds into watching people get humiliated, ala Gladiator.

The thing is that most architecture projects (worth documenting on TV) have too long a timeline to really document and I think we all can agree that a good portion of the process is pretty boring. I'm just imagining ArchTV having hour long docu-dramas about specification writing. It would be like watching C-SPAN but less exciting (if such a thing is possible).

There is an assortment of shows that I think satisfy the viewing needs of architects. As aquapura points out, Build it Bigger looks at architecture from a construction standpoint (more than once I found I learned more from that than structures class). Many shows on the travel channel feature architecture to some degree- maybe not exclusively- but it is a part of the show. Samantha Brown's show usually has some discussion about architecture, sometimes beyond the usually tourist locations.

I do find it ironic that the point of reference for what the "architecture channel" should have on it is a FOOD show from the TRAVEL channel. Realizing that food is a global/cultural entity and that travel requires eating, it does blur the boundaries to some extent.

Sep 27, 10 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
macats

there might not be a network but there are TV programs, I think an entire network might dilute the proffession, its not easy producing enough content to cover all tjose hours.

Sep 27, 10 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

There was a miniseries about the building of a skyscraper on PBS in the late 80's or early 90's.

If you watch enough This Old House and Hometime you actually learn a lot about how (custom) residential renovation and construction is done. My beef with those shows is that they make it look like most of the solutions are coming from the contractor and the architect is portrayed as the pretentious guy in the black turtleneck who only builds cute models and picks colors.

Sep 27, 10 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
zen maker

Architecture programs are extremely boring on television, I would rather read it in a magazine, there is just too much information on TV about project and at the same time they squeeze in some cheezy music and fast camera transitions, just way too distracting and hard to remember anything. But the most boring part is when architects are trying to explain their design, they just come up with the most combersome way to explain a simple concept, that is really frustrating to watch...

Oct 2, 10 2:38 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

(as read in a douche-bag dude voice)

THIS FALL. AN ARCH-NECT TV EXCLUSIVE.

ONE MAN. 24 HOURS.

DEADLINE IMPOSSIBLE.

ONCE-IN-A-LIFETIME PROJECT.

<clip> "The X-ref won't load!!!" </clip>

A JOB THAT WILL CHANGE EVERYTHING.

<clip "The plotter is jammed!!!" </clip>

TASK THAT WILL TURN BOYS INTO MEN.

<clip>"I really don't like it when you communicate in that passive-aggressive voice: </clip>

POWER!

<clip> You're fired!</clip>

MONEY!

<clip> I quit!</clip>

SEX!

<clip>That wasn't gay? Right?</clip>

THIS FALL. A SIX EPISODE EXCLUSIVE.

Episode 1: zoom zoom pan pan
Episode 2: zoom zoom pan pan
Episode 3: zoom zoom pan pan
Episode 4: zoom zoom pan pan. hmm I should go talk to Kelly in accounting. She's way cuter than my wife.
Episode 5: zoom zoom pan pan
Episode 6: Holy shit, I'm fucked! I wish I managed my time betteeeeeeeeer!!!!!!!

ONLY ON ARCH-NECT TV!

Oct 2, 10 4:45 am  · 
 · 
oe

Yea, frac mentioned above Ovation, the closest thing youre going to get. Its got a bit of filler but theres a ton of good shit on that channel.

Oct 2, 10 4:53 am  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

Discovery Science.

Oct 3, 10 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
Mirin

to the O.G.

Yes! What a great idea.

I think the part of having a likeable host is the key- someone to handhold and educate people and not intimidate them about architecture.

Its time you architects got your head out of your freaking fuzzy navel gazing bellies!

show the TV/reality show watching reality what you're made of!

Oct 3, 10 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
RealLifeLEED

This network would bomb faster than you can possibly imagine... To put it in perspective: The AIA has roughly 80,000 members, while America is about 300,000,000 strong. Architects represent roughly .02% (not 2%... 0.02%) of the American populace, and I suspect if you looked at the viewing habits of said architects they're likely to be some of the lowest in the nation in terms of time spent watching tv.

If the puppy channel couldn't make it, I don't see how this would.

Oct 4, 10 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

On the other hand, an Office like show about kids in Architecture School could potentially be hilarious.

Oct 4, 10 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
mayainclck

Have anyone seen "architecture school" on sundance?

Oct 6, 10 10:54 am  · 
 · 
phld21
http://www.archiculturefilm.com/

This film looks like its going to be way better than the 'sundance' version.

Oct 7, 10 12:23 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: