Archinect
anchor

Interior design BS/then March?

Beepbeep

ok I am about to graduate with a B.S. Interior Design and I did a minor in Construction Management as well. I did good in school and have about a 3.5 gpa. can sketch/use revit/autoCad/sketchup+V-ray etc...
So I have wanted to just become an Architect since about 9th grade when I did an architectural program in high school and got an ID degree just because of location and price CHEAP! its CIDA program and stuff. So is it a good Idea to go on a get a Master of Architecture or not really going to be worth the money? I am 26 (spent 4 yrs in the Military first) for the scope of work I would like to do is more retail design ( I actually kind of enjoy some of the interior stuff haha) But I have interest in mixed-use and institutional type of work as well as I really enjoy the technical side such as construction/materials et..

Is it worth it to go to school for 3 years?? or maybe get an masters in Interior Architecture??
I am preparing my portfolio and taking my LEED GA exam and GRE now...
schools I am interested in are
Syracuse
Cornell
Mass art
Pratt
Parsons
Saic interior Architecture emphasis m.arch

Sep 24, 10 1:55 pm
dallasarchitect

I have an undergrad degree in Interior Architecture & Design (also CIDA accredited) and I am working on my M.ARCH presently in the 2nd year.

My personal opinion is that if you want to be an architect, be an architect. You cannot be an architect without an M.Arch. degree.

However, if you enjoy interior architecture and design and want to continue that route instead, you don't really need additional schooling beyond the Bachelors unless you want to teach college or something. Clients never care about whether I have a Bachelors or Masters, they only care about my portfolio. That goes for both commercial and residential clients.

That is my experience over the past 10 years anyway.

GOod luck.

Sep 25, 10 2:37 am  · 
 · 
BlueMoon

Before I got myself into ID school, my mom was trying to convince me to sign up for Architecture... which, at that time, sounded to me as an awfully dry and technical field. My mom's (who is a structural engineer) main argument was that Architects can do interiors, while interior designers will never be able to build a building... One Bachelor degree later - I think she is right =) and so it happened that architecture is not that dry and technical, and ID is rather intellectually inferior to it and only skin deep... now I am saving for M.Arch

Sep 25, 10 8:27 am  · 
 · 
mdler

interiors are more fun

Sep 25, 10 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
olaf design ninja

buy Graphic Standards and start practicing.

Sep 27, 10 11:23 pm  · 
 · 
dallasarchitect

I find interior design not to be "intellectually inferior" as you put it, but certainly not as conceptual in nature as architecture.

Sep 28, 10 12:14 am  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

I agree interior design does not get into concept near as much at my school they always try to sum it up into some shity phrase. But I did got to the BAC for a while and enjoyed my Architecture studio just could not afford to stay in Boston when the econ dumped. I can't wait to hopefully get into an M.arch program

Sep 28, 10 12:37 am  · 
 · 
DesignTheory

Wow! I have been in the industry for 19 years. I have one comment for you guys to think about when you are comparing the practices of interior design and architecture. "Get in where you fit in!" It is all DESIGN! Engineers, Architects, Interior Designers, Contractors and Fabricators are all needed for a project to have a stunning outcome at completion. No one trade is "intellectually inferior." That type of "small thinking" will not last you long once you have been a team member on a large project.

Both practices have the same outcome as far as careers... either you have the personality and ability to sell what you have designed, which allows you to be a principal. Otherwise, you are just support or part of an assembly line for the principals.

Oct 24, 10 11:34 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: