Archinect
anchor

OMA and UNStudio

penguincc

Does anyone know anything about the business development team of OMA and UNStudio? I got offer from both team and need to make a decision asap!!

OMA hk office
UNStudio amsterdam office

Sep 21, 10 4:40 am

i would base your decision on where do you want to work? both jobs will involve replying to RFPs, compiling tender docs, grant apps etc.
both offices have similar work culture (long hours)

Sep 21, 10 4:54 am  · 
 · 

location i meant. HK or amsterdam

Sep 21, 10 5:11 am  · 
 · 
aspect

hk is alot more exciting to live than amsterdam!

Sep 21, 10 9:05 am  · 
 · 
l3wis

amsterdam is grimey and filled with tourists...

Sep 21, 10 9:20 am  · 
 · 
cmrhm

Definitely HK. EVerything is better, you even can see more architecture buildings there. But no red district though.

Sep 21, 10 10:29 am  · 
 · 

hey why is everyone so down on the 'dam?!?
the place has been keeping me happy for 7 years (and not bored yet)

Sep 21, 10 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
IamGray

I don't get it either?
Sure it's crawling with tourists, but "grimey"? I'd hate to think what the poster thinks of Hamburg or Berlin then.... or even huge parts of Paris, London, Rome, which imo are far more gritty. Even the dodgier bits of Amsterdam look pretty wholesome in comparison.

That being said, I'm intrigued by HK. Several friends are from and/or currently live there. It seems very polarizing. Some love it while others can't wait to get out...

Sep 21, 10 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
penguincc

Is living in amsterdam expensive?
I grow up in Hong Kong... so amsterdam is more appealing just because it's not home....

Sep 21, 10 10:39 pm  · 
 · 

amsterdam isn't too expensive, you could get a room for around 300-500 or if you were lucky a small apartment for around 1000.

if you grew up in HK, i'd recommend amsterdam, for the same reason you said - it's not home.

it's good to move around, work in different countries.

Sep 22, 10 3:27 am  · 
 · 
aspect

penguincc> it depends on ur stages of life, if u fresh grad, staying at amtersdam for a few years no problem at all... however, if u are already a senior architect, u need to think of a long term career plan, which i think europe need a very long time for recovery and asia is booming especially OMA is well connected with china projects...

i grew up in hk and lived in NY city when i was fresh grad, i had an offer at amsterdam at that time, however i turned it down after visiting there, hate to say that i felt "grimey" being there!

Sep 22, 10 5:09 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: