Archinect
anchor

Cover Letters: How to address different practices

mixologist

First, are they even read at big name firms?

More specifically how do you craft them? I generally find it easier to write cover letters for firms that have a defined way of working, like a design build office for instance. Here I can talk about construction expereince, cite specifics about design resolution, construction and flesh out the letter that way.

I find it harder to write cover letters for big/big name firms where I'm applying for a designer's position. I want to convey that I've done construction and esp. enjoy digital fabrication stuff, but I want to work in schematic design too. I don't want to come across as too pragmatic. With roughly 3 yrs exp - I'm lower down in the pecking order, but I've seen things through fabrication/construction in this time. But there are firms where this expereince seems not to be immediately valued.

I can do schematic under pressure, render fairly well - [through I wouldn't be hired for my rendering skills alone], I can do some mean 3D rhino stuff and I've worked under a lot of pressure where a lot of real money was at stake if little mistakes were made. But this pressure is different from the psychosis of boiler room situations in lots of offices pretty much during all of design development.

I'm applying to some boiler room firms, how should I craft the cover letter in light of my prior experience? How should I balance built/detailing expereince against a competency to do schematic design and design development well?

Also how much does one say about being interested in a Star firm in a paragraph, I mean everyone knows them and wants to work there.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Sep 15, 10 11:02 am
bosch

I think you seem to know what you are doing already. Dont worry about 'lower down the pecking order' - your 3 years and therefore slightly lower salary expectations are what the majority of firms want.

I was told once, and this worked for me, to keep your cover letter 1/2 to 3/4 of an 8.5 x 11 page visually. No one wants to read these so the shorter it is the easier it is for them to deal with.
I assume you have a 1-page to the point resume you are happy with.
I assume you have a boiler plate cover letter already going.
I also assume you tailor each letter for the job you are applying for which is crucial.
I would craft it as so:
- at top have a small paragraph showing your interest and a sentence that reads something about how you could contribute to them. This way it is all about them, that you could be serving them with your skills.
like - my experience would enable me to be a strong contributor or asset etc to your studio.

then use bullet points to list your skills. these points could be tailored for each job depending on what they want in the ad, or if no ad then what you think they might be looking for.
use the word Proficient if you have intermediate-ish skills in something, and the word Excellent if you are super skilled.
like - Proficient in 3D rhino and 3d max software - completed 3 renderings under strict deadlines - etc ect

i would keep your bullet points short and to the point and phrase-like.
and tailored to that job/firm - most important

end with a short closing paragraph - pls contact me if you find my experience or skills intriguing I am available via blah blah blah.

keep the letter short! there is only so much they can learn about u before they meet you.

this regimen got me 3 arch interviews in 3 months and an actual job (its part time but ill take it)

good luck!

Sep 15, 10 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
bosch

one more thing -
i think its a crap shoot at these big name firms - unless u know someone- and i think the letter strategy is the same. they get so many inqueries you may stand out if you keep it short, humble and to the point with a small, to the point attached PDF portfolio if requested.
They have to wade thru so much shit they may appreciate someone who is super organzied and can tell and show their main selling features in a non-egotistical, condensed SHORT to the point way.
use the small and short starting and closing paragraphs with bullet points in between. simple efficient and easy.
you can balance by just easily covering all the skills you have in the bullet points or leave out extraneous crap if you think it doesnt apply to the job ad or firm.

Sep 15, 10 12:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: