Archinect
anchor

If I leave architecture, can I come back?

AnoukDaria

Hi everyone, I recently posted the thread about the Toronto architectural job scene, and now I have had a job offer but it's not in architecture.

I was recently at a reunion with people from high school and a guy I was pretty good friends with back in the day offered me a job! I've been in contact with him over the last 10 years since graduating high school and he had gone to college, worked at design firms, and then started his own graphic design business a few years ago. He is doing very well and based on a combination of knowing me since high school and going through my design portfolio he offered me a job at his firm. I went and checked it out, they do good work, it is a creative and tight-knit design environment and they seem to have a lot of fun. It is actually an amazing job compared to the retail and gallery job I have right now. I need to let him know soon if I am going to accept, and I have pretty much made up my mind to do so.

My only question now is this: if I leave architecture to work in another (related but different) field, will I ever be able to return to architecture?

From what I have read on Archinect it seems that you need many years of building up architectural firm experience to get anywhere in this field, accumulate intern hours, then license. However, I have said before that I am not wealthy at all. I need the work and I can't sit around waiting anymore for an architectural firm to hire me. Since I just recently graduated, I am at the bottom of the pile for entry level positions which don't even seem to exist right now. If I leave then decide to come back I will still be at the very bottom.

But will I not be able to return because every year the new grads know more and more new technology and I'll never be able to catch up?

If I leave now, does this mean I can never return? Am I wasting all of my architectural education? What do you guys think?

Thanks for your time,

Anouk

Sep 10, 10 11:13 am
outthere

I think getting into graphic design would make you a good candidate for an arch. design firm ..it would keep your talents fresh and its a lot better than the retail job you have now

If you cant get an entry level arch. position ..i'd say its probably the next best thing

Sep 10, 10 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

Of course you can return to Architecture. Graphic design experience can be an asset if you want to break into the marketing department of a major firm. How easily you can get over to the the actual Architectural Design part of the business is debatable, but it still beats waiting tables or such.

Sep 10, 10 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
paulo.knocks

Who says it is wasting your arch degree? You don't HAVE to practice architecture just because your degree is architecture. I think ultimately what you learn in arch. school is problem solving and how to work hard. Those skills can be applied in many different places, they certainly dont apply just to architecture. A good job is a good job.

Sep 10, 10 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
paulo.knocks

One of the partners of OMA has a law degree and isn't practicing in a traditional setting, would you say he has wasted his law education?

Sep 10, 10 12:43 pm  · 
 · 

Agree 100% with paulo. Enjoy the job and learn everything you can - you will apply it to architecture by instinct anyway.

Sep 10, 10 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

why aren't you asking yourself why you're wasting your degree on your current jobs? i mean right now you're not in architecture...a graphic design job would at least be a step in the right direction.

Sep 10, 10 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Why not?

Sep 10, 10 1:34 pm  · 
 · 

I was outside of the architectural fold for 7 years playing in hollywood. Grad school helped my return into designing real things. There is always a route back to doing what you love. Graphics will give you a strong foundation in presentation and communication to base your future practice on.

good luck!

Sep 10, 10 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
AnoukDaria

Hey everyone, thanks for the responses, they are all very wise. I agree that I will definitely be able to use everything that I learned in architectural school for this graphic design position as well. The skills really are very transferable.

Larslarson. That's a good point. I think I didn't consider it wasting my degree for these part-time jobs because I saw them as survival jobs that I would leave shortly. The graphic design job requires many different skills, greater commitment, and a more challenging use of my intellectual capabilities. It will definitely require my "all."

Paulo.knocks, I think you are right. I think my biggest problem is that in grad school I was one of those people who thought I would do my arch degree and be directly on my path to being an architect some day. I don't think this is going to be true for me, but I'm okay with this. I have just had to shift my expectations so I could see the reality in front of me.

It's encouraging to hear that people have pursued other things and have been able to return, perhaps not as an architect, but still within the field.

I think I felt so stressed out because I spoke with another friend in architecture last night, who graduated with me, who's working at an arch. firm. She told me that I should keep looking in the architecture field because if I leave then every year I will be competing with more and more graduates who will become more qualified than me. Maybe this can be true, maybe not. Perhaps she is not the best person to talk to or give me advice! I guess I felt down about what other people I graduated with would think of me. But really, who cares!

I think it's best not to overthink everything. I guess you have to make your own future and take what comes in stride.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Anouk

Sep 10, 10 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

i think you're looking at this the wrong way...you've got to stop worrying about grads behind you..there will always be people more/less experienced than you.

1. what software skills will you be learning at your current jobs. NONE
2. what relatable skills can you learn at a graphic design job? A TON
3. everyone in the field understands that there is a shortage of jobs right now...you're not only competing with current grads, but a glut of people that have ten times as much experience as you do...let's say 500 to 1 job or something...when the economy improves your odds will to...let's say 500-20 or something or hopefully better.

bottom line: what do you think will look more impressive on your resume when you interview? retail/gallery job or 40hr/week graphic design job? i think it's obvious

in an interview it can all be explained by, 'i tried to get a job in architecture, but no one was hiring so i took a job where i could still use my design skills, but also learn photoshop, indesign, illustrator etc etc.' also how to relate in business culture, learn the rigors of working week after week etc.

there's also NOTHING to keep you from learning revit, autocad or whatever on your own time...find a copy and do the tutorials or take a class.

also the farther you get away from school the more you'll stop comparing yourself to your classmates..or at least the less you'll care... it's not about them at this point..it's what's the best possible thing you can do for yourself.

Sep 10, 10 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
jplourde

I guess a more pertinent question might be: would you even want to?

This isn't just me trying to cull the competition!

It's plausible you might actually grow to like visual communication on it's own terms much more than architecture [and the headaches of construction].

I think on average in the US people change jobs 12 times over their life and change careers 3 times. Read that somewhere a few years ago.

And I don't think that being out of the profession for a few years would preclude you from ever coming back. I think it would entail a lot more work, but kids these days are lazy anyways [kidding]. Tadao Ando was a boxer for his first career, and he seems to be doing just fine! Obviously, he didn't experience any severe head trauma... haha

Sep 10, 10 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

Perhaps he did experience head trauma.

Perhaps, after a severe pummeling to the head and a dive face first into the ground... he peeled himself off the mat and exclaimed, "HOLY SHITBALLS! I THINK I WANT TO DETAIL REBAR FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE!"

Sep 10, 10 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
jplourde

UG, I don't understand the haters. You make Archinect worthwhile.

Sep 10, 10 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn
Sep 10, 10 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
AnoukDaria

Larslarson, thank you for such a thoughtful response. You are right that the choice is obvious and that I will definitely be learning more useful skills and also earning money in the meantime!

What you wrote about explaining your absence from the profession in a future interview has been very thought provoking. I have definitely been looking at this whole situation too narrowly.

My dad told me that you can't worry about what imaginary people in an imaginary future will think of you, such as future employers. That's a no-win game. I think he's right.

You're right too, jplourde. Who knows if I will like this better or not unless I try and give it my best shot?

I am ashamed to say that I got too caught up in what other people (mainly my arch. school mates) would think of me. Why do I even care though? It's not like I see them often or they have any stake in my life. I think it is a residual competitive streak from graduating school so recently.

What has been great for me is actually hanging out with people who are not in architecture! It has been very refreshing. I think during grad school my circle of acquaintances was much too narrow, and that probably narrowed my view of what my potential futures could be as well. When I'm with my non-architecture friends we only talk about work/career stuff briefly before moving onto other things. I think in arch. school me and the other students just immersed ourselves completely in arch. and design.

But out of grad school no one else really cares. And not in a bad way either, like people just don't care about architecture. I have always found people interested in architecture and design and like to hear what you think of it, but then it's good to move the conversation onto other things :)

Anyway, this is turning out to be a good conversation and I like hearing people's thoughts. Thank you :)

Anouk

Sep 10, 10 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
AnoukDaria

LOL Unicorn Ghost :P

Sep 10, 10 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Anouk, I just wanted yo second everyone's opinion that this is a great opportunity that you should definitively jump on.

I remember the running joke (taken seriously by some) back in my school days: 'If this architecture thing doesn't work out, I can always be a graphic designer'.

Sad truth is graphic design field is extremely competitive as well. Getting into that profession for an architect is kind of hard. Consider yourself lucky to know the right people...

Sep 10, 10 4:44 pm  · 
 · 

i won't repeat everyone else's good answers. i'll only say that any chance to broaden your overall design experience is a good opportunity - no matter what kind of design it is.

Sep 11, 10 7:46 am  · 
 · 
olaf design ninja

graphic design can be paper architecture.

Sep 11, 10 10:05 am  · 
 · 
jplourde

to support SW: especially if the alternative is a job outside of a design field. Theoretically, it's possible to be a mailman by day and a struggling architect by night, but after working 40-50 hours a week by day, is it plausible one can think critically enough in the evenings to support a continual narrative? I'm sure it's possible, though I'd guess very difficult. At least if you're in graphic design you're still thinking about composition, colour, form, deliverables, etc.

Assuming, of course, that you want to stay in design [which is the point of this post, right?].

Likewise, yeah the kids coming out of school burn all of us with their knowledge of techniques. I just clonk them on their 'obtuse' haircuts with my walking stick.

Architecture is a profession that requires [nevermind encourages] life long learning. Case in point: I was working on a tower a few years ago at another firm in NY and the partner on the project was reacting against what he called 'the H plan'. Needless to say I got out of that firm at the first opportunity.

Sep 12, 10 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
jmanganelli

i think getting hung up on the idea of "architecture" is a big problem --- we are designers who design inhabitable aspects of the environment --- whether that means graphics, strategic planning, technical implementation, conceptualization, etc

I recently read a chapter by a psychologist named leibowitz. He closed with these remarks:

"In high school we were given a series of orientation lectures by dedicated and well-meaning guidance counselors to help us select our future vocations. Eighteen years after graduation, I was employed by the International Business Machines Corporation in their Federal System Division doing human engineering work. Except for the support personnel, there was not a single position in our building, where there were hundreds of employees, that existed when I was in high school."

So true. It is a global condition of working in our fast-evolving, globalized work-force and it effects architecture as much as any other profession. Thus, thinking of "architecture" in the traditional sense is a very limited perspective on designing inhabitable aspects of the environment. Titles and logistics are transitory conditions. You can participate in, and even lead the design of inhabitable environments in many, many ways. Whether you design trade-show kiosks, graphic art, signs, radiator covers, program spaces, manage logistics, etc. People trained as architects can visualize and rapidly generate high-quality graphical representations, which many people in analytical fields cannot do. Thus our skills can give us an edge when coupled with a suitable analytical background in a related field. Perhaps going back part-time for a degree in management information systems, supply chain management, human factors engineering, industrial engineering, structural engineering, computer science, economics, business administration, statistics, healthcare administration, systems engineering, international business, planning, real estate development, law etc opens doors to participate on designing inhabitable environments and is more satisfying and lucrative with better quality of life than doggedly assuming one must develop along a traditional route.

it is interesting to note that many architectural professors and practitioners will freely admit that they use young talent to work through ideas. They have 2 or 10 or 20 people work through a design. The senior designer guides the design development efforts of the younger designers, picking which they think are the best approaches and redirecting or focusing efforts as needed. This is considered a legitimate way to practice and seems to be the method of many a starchitect. Why is that less true if you relinquish the title but otherwise perform in that capacity? If you become a MIS person or statistician or strategic planner working for the client or developer and are in a position to pick design teams, to review all design output and to guide the process, product and control the purse strings, are you not still designing in the way that many starchitects, professors and principals design? Do napkin sketches, too, if it makes you feel more legitimate. Is the title itself, architect, and the ego, i suppose, really worth it? Or is it getting to design and build things while enjoying a reasonable quality of life?

Sep 12, 10 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
jplourde

jman, I couldn't agree more.

Though I will say that there is something ineffable, almost mystical, about architecture that requires a hugely specific skillset, mindset, and philosophy that not many people have coalesced. Perhaps this is why there are so many who start and then leave a few years or decades into it?

It's almost as if the 'jack of all trades' thing becomes specific in and of itself. To be as transparent as possible: Architecture is so ludicrously general, that it becomes specific.

Sep 12, 10 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
jmanganelli

that's very true, jp

i also think it is why by and large architecture always feels like it is losing ground to other disciplines

many clients are pretty savvy and know why they benefit from using an architect --- but it seems a disturbingly high number do not see the value (other than that it is required by law in most cases) or have a very skewed sense of it or find the services dubious, as though with a little organizational creativity, they could probably break up those responsibilities among a half dozen other consultants that they know are essential and save 1-10% on the project cost, depending on project type

Sep 12, 10 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
AnoukDaria

Hey everyone, sorry it has taken me so long to respond. I had to work extra shifts at the mall since it's back to school time!

Thank you everyone for all this wonderful advice and conversation. I have accepted my friend's job offer at his design firm! YAY!!! I'm excited. I start October 4th so I have a couple of weeks to really brush up on Photoshop and Illustrator techniques that I've let get a bit rusty :)

steelstuds, Steven Ward, and jplourde, you're encouragement is much appreciated. I know that I am incredibly lucky to have even been offered this position and it was all a matter of pure luck and being at the right place at the right time and knowing someone who would take a chance on me. LOL, I was completely and utterly dreading my high school reunion because of my work situation, but I am so glad I went now! Any design experience will help me keep in the design game and hopefully leverage any new skills I learn if I apply for architecture work in the future.

jmanganelli, WOW, that was an amazingly thoughtful post. It gave me so many different things to think about! I agree with jplourde that "Architect" to me has always seemed like this amazing mystical figure or something. This person who begins to create something beautiful on so many levels, bringing together the physical, experiential, material and spiritual realms, to make a tangible object that can help and sustain people. Not only provide shelter but contribute to well-being and the fabric of our communities. LOL, even writing that I can see that I have this very romantic idea of the Architect. Maybe that's not healthy? I think that I have always held up architects to such high esteem, maybe because I have not worked in the profession much yet? But also because I think they do amazing things, and I loved the idea of being a part of that somehow.

I guess that I can still be a part of that, maybe just in a different way. All of those potential and varied paths you suggested are all clearly a part of architecture. I just never really looked at it that way before. Of course so many different people are involved to get a project built, and if you can be a part of any of those parts that make the whole, it would be lucky.

I must admit that having recently graduated, I have only really thought of architecture in the traditional sense. I love hearing all these responses from people who have worked in the field for a while because it is really opening my eyes to the potentials in the field and for the future.

Do you think architecture in the traditional sense is fading fast? Is technology making it so that in the future architecture as we recognize it today will be completely fragmented? More and more, is it necessary to be able to bring in skilled people from a variety of different disciplines under the mantle of "architectural practice?" I know many connected fields are already working together to get things built. But are systems and designs getting so complicated today that you need a much broader scope?

The jack-of-all-trades is interesting, but is it a good idea? Things seem to be moving so fast today in terms of new technology and development. Can one person ever keep up? Is it better to specialize and be really good at one thing? Is an architect today more of a person who can organize and oversee and synthesize all the various disciplines/skill sets necessary to get a project built? Can the idea of a master builder even exist in the future?

There is so much to think about in terms of future directions and potentials for the architectural field. It is overwhelming and interesting all at the same time! Anyway, I need to think about these posts more, but thanks again everyone for such encouraging, productive and thoughtful comments and insight! This thread has truly helped me out :)

Anouk

Sep 15, 10 11:10 am  · 
 · 
jmanganelli

Anouk, glad you're excited about your direction. Good luck. Check out the information is beautiful website, if you have not yet done so. It should prove a valuable reference. Also look up Brent chamberlain's website and videos. His office is in las Vegas, I think. He is someone whose graphics work led to arch viz and, b/c of his skill, it seems (from watching his videos) a good bit of early conceptual design as well.

Sep 15, 10 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
AnoukDaria

Hey everyone, I just thought I would give a quick update before going to work. Thanks for everyone who encouraged me on this forum, I really appreciate it. I have been working at my friend's firm for a little over 2 weeks now, and I am really enjoying myself. I still have a lot of learning to do compared to the others who work here, they know so much, but so far everyone has been great.

I am starting at the bottom here, just doing some image compositing etc., but I feel like I'm making a contribution and people here are willing to teach me things if I stay a bit later and take initiative to do my own research on what I need to learn.

I find my colleagues are super hard working and fun to work with as well and I'm relieved to have fallen in with such a good bunch.

Anyway, thanks everyone for helping me make the right choice. I am happy here and I am learning a lot that I can apply to architecture as well. My grad degree has not been a waste because it's funny how your mind immediately goes into "design mode" once you're put back in that design environment. I guess that's the benefit of design education as well.

I know from checking out the threads this morning that a lot of people are having a hard time in the architecture field, myself included, but there's hope out there.

I still feel like I want to return to architecture one day, and I feel like whatever design experience I can get will translate now, because at least I am thinking about design again, just in a different medium and scale.

Thanks for the help everyone and I'll check back in soon :)

Cheers,

Anouk

Oct 21, 10 8:06 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: