Archinect
anchor

portfolio Critique

Hey Everyone,

I would appreciate any feedback or criticism on my portfolio.

A little bit about me: I am an architecture student entering my fourth year of studies. During the summer, I have been interning for a small architecture company that use Revit heavily.

So far I have over sixty pages but I am not sure what to leave in or what to take out.

I am trying to improve my portfolio for future employment but I need vital criticism to move forward.

Thanks guys.

http://issuu.com/apm22/docs/alexander.alman

Aug 26, 10 10:07 pm
JOSH03

Your diagrams on pg 38, and on, are unorganized, looks cluttered. your renders need scale figures. The blue bar on the bottom is pretty nice. Play around with the proportions on that. The graphics of your diagrams are pretty nice, but without scale figures your project lack a kind of life. maybe that was ur intent. anyway, looks good.

Aug 27, 10 10:11 am  · 
 · 
Le Courvoisier

You need to condense, big time. 65 pages is too much. As you look at your stats on issuu you will see that maybe 50% get to the end of your portfolio.

Don't lead off with your professional work, since the design direction wasn't yours. Also this can be condensed to one page. Right now its a few different projects all telling us you know Revit and can produce documents with it. One spread would be plenty.

You can also reduce the media portion to one spread as well. I've been told that you should tell the story of a project with two spreads. Get rid of all the images that say the same thing, and reduce your diagrams down to the essentials.

I don't have any qualms about the graphic design of the portfolio. It looks very nice.

Aug 27, 10 10:29 am  · 
 · 
apm

Thanks JOSH03 & joshuamings. Your feedback was very valuable.

For my professional work, I have been very lucky to actually design at least half of the projects in my portfolio. Therefore, should I leave them on individual pages or should still put them on a single page spread?

Aug 27, 10 10:52 am  · 
 · 
l3wis

it looks nice though, apm

Aug 27, 10 11:28 am  · 
 · 
cmrhm

I just saw some presentation pages, and they are abstract, I think this is a logical approach to the design. I like it.

Aug 27, 10 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
med.

I like it.

Pretty straighforward. Nice clean work that shows many aspects of your talent, good font, very little text, and decent graphic layout.

Work can be seen as a little cold and distant - you may have to put in a human scale to it.

Aug 27, 10 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
Le Courvoisier

In that case APM just put the ones that you designed in and take out the rest. That way you have more space for something that is more yours than normal intern work.

Definitely agree on the scale though, you need people in there. Otherwise you have no clue what the dimensions are.

Aug 27, 10 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
apm

Thanks guys, your feedback is very helpful.

Aug 27, 10 7:17 pm  · 
 · 
Macpod

Very good for a 4th year and a lot of potential to make it into a starchitect level portoflio. just a few things to take it to the next level

definitely more writing. Text always make a page look more sophisticated. I would also be more selective about the renderings and photo-shop the hell out of the good ones. use some layering, transparency, more nature, birds, B/W people.background, diffused glow etc. looks at luxigon.com. right now the renderings look very flat.

also. put some descriptive text in the index.

TEXT TEXT TEXT. no one reads it but it looks good.

Look at some design magazines and see how their spread works.

Aug 28, 10 4:02 am  · 
 · 

Although not something you can probably change in a weekend, your drawings seriously lack readability. If every line as the same thickness, then it is quite the same as listening to a thousand voices speaking at the same volume which of course is very difficult to understand. Lineweights and linetypes impress upon the viewer depth and hierarchy. Pages 33-34 perfectly demonstrate what I'm talking about. I certainly hope that this isn't the first time a 4th year has heard this. You've learned Revit, great. Now take an evening or weekend and set up some lineweights.

Now, if by chance you say, "well, there are line types, you just can't see them well on a screen, at that size, in a PDF... etc", then you must first understand that when you are presenting work, especially your portfolio, what is paramount is not how you intend the work to be displayed, but rather how it IS displayed.

I commend the less is more approach, but what am I looking at when I see your drawings? A section. Sectioned where? A plan. Which floor? And I'm not saying that you absolutely need to label everything. For instance the ground floor may be signified with a small black arrowhead identifying where entry in the building occurs rather than potentially ugly big text saying GROUND. On the other hand, you labeled the drawings on page ten, but the text is so small, I just glance right on past it. Give yourself some credit. Make me, force me to want to look at everything you choose to include in this portfolio.

Did you produce the drawings to check off requirements on a prof's list, or are you trying to convey information? Are column grids necessary? Maybe not. North arrow? Depends. Labeling the ground floor? Probably. Overall, I think the flow is nice, and the content is there, but it needs the clarity. Good luck.

Aug 28, 10 11:17 am  · 
 · 
zen maker

Get rid off of the projects that are just too confusing, like the one with messy pipes, you don't need that at all, it only confuses people, unless you want to add like an architectural confusing essay to it with lots of confusing words then and only then you can keep that messy project.

Otherwise, I think you have a lot of potential, but you should give more detail about each project, just keep 3 best projects and make them 3-5 pages each. Don't just throw like 5 images per page, use couple of pages with big images, and then couple of pages with more detailed shots like diagrams and plans.

I agree that your professional work projects should be included at the end of the portfolio because they weren't 100% designed by you, and do same thing about them as well, don't just paste images all over the page, but stretch the project into couple of pages instead. I was a bit confused because it jumped from one project to another with just 1 page flip, until I realized that it is different project when I saw the blue bar at the bottom.

You can experiment with intro pages for each project, some intro text and one big image, or whatever design you like, but have an intro page before the project.

I would say 20-25 page with 3-5 projects portfolio can beat any 60-100 page 10 project portfolio, it is all about organization and giving respect to each project you put into your portfolio, it is not just a showcase of your work, it is the selection of best projects.

Aug 28, 10 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
ADavin

In your initial spread, I would be very hesitant to use the word "mastered" with regards to Revit. You have been using the program for what, 4 years? You haven't mastered it. You are extremely proficient in it, but I think the buck stops there. I agree about the text. You need more. I found myself flipping through pages without any idea where projects terminated and where new ones began. It was hard to differentiate physical models from 3d models.

Overall though, solid work. Good luck!

AD

Aug 29, 10 2:51 am  · 
 · 
achensch

I wondered why people were saying it was too long--then I realized I hadn't gone past the first white dot. LOL

so yeah, way too long. Looks like you have a lot of ideas, but some of them need to be taken farther in terms of representation--and then ditch the rest.

I like pg 62 the best!

Aug 29, 10 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
apm

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I am going to take everyone's critique into consideration and adjust my portfolio based on that.

Aug 30, 10 8:21 am  · 
 · 
kyleseyz

you should only put the last 3 sections in the portfolio(elementary school, housing, media projects). The other projects are boring. The housing project is actually pretty good. Sucks that you had to draw that bow compass from so many views.

Aug 30, 10 10:36 am  · 
 · 
med.

One more observation:

I think you should try to make the backgrounds of pages 14, 15, 16, 17 white instead of black. And then you can invert the line drawings to black. I think it could look very good.

Aug 30, 10 11:34 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: