Archinect
anchor

Portfolio critique

hansdampf

I need your help please! I've seen that some people showed their portfolio here for people to critizise. I'd like to do that too, since I hardly ever get any responses to applications. It's in pdf format, can I upload it here somewhere?

Aug 23, 10 5:30 pm
Le Courvoisier

Issuu.com is best. It allows you to upload the pdf to show it off the way it would be if it were bound in a book.

Aug 23, 10 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
hansdampf

Thanks - I'll check it out

Aug 23, 10 10:10 pm  · 
 · 
hansdampf

Ok here it is... I'm a little nervous :)

Aug 23, 10 10:35 pm  · 
 · 
hansdampf

Oh, I should mention - it's for job applications and I just graduated.

Aug 23, 10 10:38 pm  · 
 · 
Sheeks

Hmmm i really like the layout of the civil/structural page, but i don't understand how you can transmit the shear of the steel roof due sismic/wind load to the foundation (i am an structural building engineer).
The other pages are so so and the first page need improvement.

For what kind of job are u doing this ??

Aug 23, 10 10:50 pm  · 
 · 
Le Courvoisier

I agree with all of Sheeks comments. Nothing completely grabs me, and the only project that I did more than a cursory glance at was the singing nest. The text intrigued me, but some of it didn't show in your images. You could easily make that two pages and move it to the front of the portfolio.

Aug 23, 10 11:02 pm  · 
 · 
hansdampf

There's no seismic risk in that area. For wind forces, a double T profile is welded to the bottom of the columns and encased in the foundation concrete. The whole construction is made of laminated timber, no steel except for the tension ties on top. I see that this needs more explanation - I just took it in for its look.

I was so proud of my layout, haha, but I know I'm comparatively helpless at graphic design. What exactly should I improve?

I'm applying for an entry-level architecture position.

Aug 23, 10 11:02 pm  · 
 · 
dmccarch

I would post mine, but my name is all over the damn thing

Aug 23, 10 11:06 pm  · 
 · 
hansdampf

Thanks Joshua. While you were posting I was still working on my answer to sheeks

@dmccarch just put a black bar over it or something...

Aug 23, 10 11:11 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

_

1: There is a lot of text here which likely will be ignored by most people who look through this. Personally I don't think that having the text is a problem, but you need to approach it differently if you decide to keep it. For starters, the text is outweighing the images in amount of paper space. I would find a way to make the images primary and the text secondary. You want to intrigue the reader with the images so they feel compelled to read the text and learn more. Is there one or two sentences from the text that are critical to understanding the project? Great, make them a larger font size so they stand out... use them graphically somewhere so they don't disturb the body of type elsewhere. And please, please, please turn off the hyphens.

2: The first 5 pages look EXACTLY the same (which includes the cover). Establishing a grid for some items (like the project titles) is a great way to have continuity. Establishing a grid for everything in the portfolio that repeats on every page is a great way for someone to look through 2 pages and get bored. Hiring managers are going to spend mere seconds reviewing an application so it's up to you to make your work stand out. Consider how a magazine is laid-out- every page uses the same basic grid (ignoring advertisements) but is done slightly different so that if you are flipping through you see enough variety of images, text, etc to read more. That said, I do appreciate the cleanliness of the layouts.

3: That cover really has to go

4: I'd rethink that last page... blurry photo and sketch doesn't exactly end on a high note. If someone is flipping though the pages they will land on this last page so it needs to be something strong.

5: I noticed from a different discussion forum that you are not from the US. Totally cool... just make sure you have someone read through your text (in case someone does read it) and make sure it's all grammatically correct. I noticed a few spots that had some awkward phrasing and with the market as competitive as it is, offices are using any and everything to trim the applicant pool. One grammatically error could land your application in the reject pool without a second thought.

Ultimately you need a portfolio that will get you noticed. I would really think about what is the strongest aspect of each project that is in here and make sure that is reflected in how it is presented and everything else about that project becomes secondary. Remember that this isn't about telling the whole story for every project... it's a portfolio, not a monograph.

Aug 23, 10 11:19 pm  · 
 · 
dmccarch

My commentary lies mainly within your written information. Since most of your handwriting is in German, I might be 100% wrong in thinking English isn't your first language. I would suggest having someone proof it, especially if you are going after jobs in English speaking markets. More about polishing the text than anything, as sometimes nuances and architectural language and context varies from tongue to tongue.

I know with my portfolio, image quality was a huge deal. Just make sur eyou are exporting and uploading the highest quality image your progams will allow, so when you post to an online portfolio site, the images are the cleanest and most well presented you can possibly make the.

Aug 23, 10 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
hansdampf

Thanks Cherith and dmccarch, that helps a lot - great advice.

Aug 23, 10 11:27 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

^ while also assuring the smallest file size. If you have to email this, it needs to be less than 5mb (and sometimes smaller than 2mb). Also you don't want huge files that take forever to load up on screens... sometimes office principals have the oldest computers because they don't use them often. Or they may be reviewing applications on their iPhone at the airport using some under-powered, over-used wi-fi connection.

Aug 23, 10 11:28 pm  · 
 · 
dmccarch

The good thign about an online portfolio website though, is that you can include a link in your cover letter letters, as well as an attached file of your portfolio.

Aug 23, 10 11:32 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

and in that vein...

I would also make sure that (assuming you are using Illustrator or InDesign) that when you export this for print and email, make sure that you have embedded any and all links as well as outlining the text (turning it into a vector instead of type). I've run into situations where I didn't embed links and the .pdf looked fine on my computer but when I got to the interview I noticed they had printed the work samples and things were missing (good thing they didn't notice I guess... although I didn't get the job). Outlining type is really important to make sure the type shows up accurately and doesn't get substituted with a default typeface.

Finally, make sure you are working in CMYK and make sure you set all of your black to 100, 100, 100, 100. Using the Adobe default CMYK black ( 0, 0, 0, 100) often results in dark gray on most printers.

Aug 23, 10 11:34 pm  · 
 · 
dmccarch

And to follow up Cherith;

In InDesign you can package the file for print (be it, actual hardcopy, or a digitial print) and the program it self will creat a folder with all relevant info, so that if you need to send if off to the printer, they have all the information they need (images, fonts, colors, layouts) in order to effectively print the document up to YOUR standards. Remember, a good printer will ALWAYS bring you in to proof your files BEFORE they run a final print/bind on it. Gives you a chance to go over everything to make sure things are exactly as you want them to be.

Aug 23, 10 11:38 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

Personally I would recommend coroflot.com for your online portfolio. You can create a more complete profile than Issuu so you can include your resume, etc with your own personal url address. It looks a little more professional and I think it loads a lot faster... I always find that Issuu portfolios take a really long time to load.

I also don't like the idea that Issuu is displaying "related portfolios" or whatever on the sidebar while your portfolio is open. The last thing you need is comparison portfolios at ready access.

Aug 23, 10 11:39 pm  · 
 · 
hansdampf

Actually, I'm just using Issuu for showing my portfolio to you guys here. For an application, I'd send it by e-mail.

Aug 23, 10 11:44 pm  · 
 · 
dmccarch

I've found that with coroflot and carbonmade, if your portfolio is already constructed in a single file, it can be difficult to manage as one file.

Aug 23, 10 11:47 pm  · 
 · 
dmccarch

@hansd

I would also include a link in your cover letter to your online portfolio. Sometimes a clickable link will get more views than an attached file.

Aug 23, 10 11:49 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

I'll take exporting and uploading individual pages to have a cleaner final product any day.

Aug 23, 10 11:52 pm  · 
 · 
dmccarch

@CC

True, I think it's about time you and I opened up a consultant firm...

Aug 23, 10 11:54 pm  · 
 · 
hansdampf

What would be good on a cover page?

Aug 23, 10 11:57 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

JUST TO HARP ON CHERITH!

For CMYK blacks:

C0 M0 Y0 K100 is/can be sucky if printed on inkjet.

C100 M100 Y100 K100 is quite a jerk move to pull!

These are more favorable:

"Cool" colored pages involving a lot of blue or greys:
C25 M5 Y10 K100

"Warm" colored pages with lots of reds, browns or yellows
C5 M25 Y10 K100

Neutral colored pages
C15 M15 Y10 K100

Aug 24, 10 12:06 am  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

dmccarch: true dat!

hansdampf: that is a question without an answer. Seriously, it could be something as simple as a solid color with your name to a huge graphic, etc. The issue is that the cover looks exactly like one of the inside pages.

Personally I would venture to your local bookstore, go to the graphic design section and look for brochure design books. A portfolio is not all to different from a brochure. While you are there, look at some of the architecture/design magazines since they have to present the same type of content you are working with and have the same organization...cover, contents, various projects, etc. Take your digital camera with you and sneak pictures of layouts you like so you have them for reference... unless the whole book is good and then buy it. Support the print industry... down with Kindle!

Aug 24, 10 12:10 am  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

Unicorn, I like my portfolio prints like my coffee and my chocolate:

black and bitter.

Aug 24, 10 12:12 am  · 
 · 
Le Courvoisier

I actually use Pantone Color Swatches so everything prints out right.

As for the cover page question, I use a solid color cover with an exploded axon of the facade of one of my projects and my name.

I'll go ahead and post it here if you want to take a look.
Portfolio/Website

Aug 24, 10 12:13 am  · 
 · 
hansdampf

I hardly can spend money on buying an architecture book. I'll just go the easy way and get them from the local library. There I can take pictures as openly as I want!

Aug 24, 10 12:14 am  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

^ I hear that. Only risk is that sometimes the library is not always the most up-to-date or has the best selection of design books (unless your local library is the architectural library at the college).

Aug 24, 10 12:16 am  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

Also, don't forget your friend google for finding design inspiration.

Aug 24, 10 12:17 am  · 
 · 
hansdampf

That's true. Well. I see what I can find. I appreciate your help! What's your background, actually?

Aug 24, 10 12:18 am  · 
 · 
DC12

repetitive layout is the truth. Forget the text or at least minimize to use as an element. The only reason I read it is because I didnt know what I was looking at. The boards should tell their own stories. If you wanted to use just images change them up a bit.

I like the exploded axon detail page. Use different scales in the layout meaning highlight your better drawings by creating a 3D layout explosion. People will jump to see difference. If that is the only content you had with school, make more supplemental material for one project and get rid of the filler, less solid projects displayed.

Add a resume and a cover letter is not a bad idea. One thing to remember. This is your birthday cake of your collegiate experience, meaning you might have to make 6 just to get to a point where it looks and feels right.

Aug 24, 10 3:40 am  · 
 · 
DC12

repetitive layout is the truth. Forget the text or at least minimize to use as an element. The only reason I read it is because I didnt know what I was looking at. The boards should tell their own stories. If you wanted to use just images change them up a bit.

I like the exploded axon detail page. Use different scales in the layout meaning highlight your better drawings by creating a 3D layout explosion. People will jump to see difference. If that is the only content you had with school, make more supplemental material for one project and get rid of the filler, less solid projects displayed.

Add a resume and a cover letter is not a bad idea. One thing to remember. This is your birthday cake of your collegiate experience, meaning you might have to make 6 just to get to a point where it looks and feels right.

Aug 24, 10 3:40 am  · 
 · 
gotzmlk

The portfolio is not that bad. As compared to other portfolio's I've seen, at least this portfolio has somewhat of a consistent template.

But like others have said, there lacks a certain "EYE CATCHING" project.

Anyways this is what I would do.

1. Remove page 2. Really not necessary.

2. To me The Singing Nest is your best project. Dedicate a couple pages to fully explain the project, instead of being confined to one single page.

3. All Generation House sounds interesting. I especially like the diagram in the lower left corner. Unfortunately, I don't really see that "how the diagram" relates to the other drawings/pictures. Maybe also dedicate a couple pages to explain this project as well.

4. The model for the City Border project looks amazing. Maybe for this project you should highlight your model making abilities.

5. Get rid of the Tomato Curtain.

6. The Civil/Structural engineering pages I wouldn't include it in my portfolio. But if you think it caters to the type of firm you're applying for then by all means include it.

7. get rid of the rest of the pages.

In a way, i think the one page limit seemed to hurt you. In my opinion, instead of trying to show a wide range of works just show 2-3 well developed projects e.g. singing nest, generation house, city border

Aug 24, 10 7:58 am  · 
 · 
hansdampf

Thank you DC12 (talking about repetitiveness) and gotzmilk.

@DC, there is usually a resume on the last page, but I cut that out for privacy here. What exactly is a 3D layout explosion?

gotzmilk, really constructive advice! I'll certainly implement that. With the structural I want to show that I know how a builidng comes together. I think it's important.

Aug 24, 10 10:02 am  · 
 · 
Sheeks

Also in the civil/structural engineering page, it will be better to put the layer of your images in ''linear burn'' in Photoshop. U will have then an uniform white ...

Aug 24, 10 10:03 am  · 
 · 
med.

Ok there are some things that work in this portfolio but there are a lot of problems with it.

Font is good, the colors/graphics are decent and straighforward, and the flow is pretty legible.

I actually read the text -- far too much for what it ends up saying. Instead of the word "pictures" use the word "image." Much more sophisticated. you tend to meander on things with the text -- less of it -- more images!

There is generally very little sense of scale in any of your work. All of it consists of closeups of a project and very little sense of the overall project.

Your 3rd page is probably the best one. It has the most moving images -- consider doing a page dedicated to the illustrated explanaition of that last image from this page.

Page two -- that bottom left hand image should be your money shot -- not a civil drawing.

Page 5 looks like a really nice project but you don't have any good images of it. Perhaps the best one is the bottom left-hand corner image -- which obviously should have been the "money shot" and not the elevation which is a little confusing.

Consider trying to export your sketchup models into 3ds max to render them even at the diagramic stage. It would look much better. Even consider doing a freehand trace of them.

Tomato Curtain page is pretty boring. All it is is a square box with a guy sitting in an office chair with tomatos growing upside down. I don't really get it and so won't your prespective employers.

The civil/structural pages -- totally unnececcary. They will be skipped guaranteed.

Is really ALL the work you did in undergrad? If so I would be very concerned about that.

Find your best project, take very good photos of them using a decent camera, crank out some renderings (not blocky sketchup ones), scan some of your best hand scetches, paintings, and other photographs and revise. You have some very nice projects so you need to do your very best to represent them.

A portfolio isn't only a representation of you and your work but it is also a good talking point during an interview. "What did you use to produce these renderings?" "What was your design intent for this project?" See what I mean?

Aug 24, 10 11:26 am  · 
 · 
hansdampf

@med.: It's not all that I did, but it's the projects that I consider the best, which is according to what others here advised. I did some projects where I learned a lot, but there are no good images (!) to show. It was a five year undergraduate and graduate combined...

I can't take any additional pictures or scans, because I don't have all the stuff here. But I should have some more on my computer, unfortunately not of my art stuff.

I'll work on the scale. Thanks for the good advice.

Aug 24, 10 11:41 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: