Archinect
anchor

Crit This!

threeewizmen

Hi all,

I'm working on updating / redo-ing some of my thesis work, which I completed this past May as a part of my bArch degree. I've redone most of the first half of the info, but haven't touched the second half yet, which I think might need work, particularly the "plans" on 26-29.

I'm also unsure of the clarity of the argument, any feedback related to the graphic representation of the project, as well as the project itself, is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

http://issuu.com/mdh264/docs/art_meadow__the_feral_artscape

Aug 10, 10 7:24 pm
oe

I'll write something more thoughtful later, but, it looks fucking great!

Aug 10, 10 9:25 pm  · 
 · 
model.bot

Don't ask me about content, but I'm in love with the sexy-pants graphics!

Aug 11, 10 2:04 am  · 
 · 
threeewizmen

Thanks for the feedback. Maybe I should ask more specific questions to garner constructive criticism.

The cover seems weak in my mind... thoughts?

Also, I'm neck deep in applications for work, and I've decided to use this as a "portfolio" to send out. I'm a little worried that it doesn't focus enough on the architecture, and maybe thats hampering my chances of snagging a job?

Its tough to judge it myself because I've been staring at it for the past 11 months...

Thanks in advance!

Aug 11, 10 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
dblock

cool project and graphics...
I agree that the cover looks a little docile and "postcard-like" which seems a little unrelated to the boldness of the project. The small frame also isn't helping the cover standout. Page 2 could be a cover.
I really like the full color graphic spreads (like p.13) and your font selection... The conclusion page is very pixillated for some reason. The research diagrams are interesting and its laid out in a manner that is easy to understand. Page 21 could maybe be a cool cover, I would also not overlap the image with the organizational band at the bottom of the page.

This shows off your graphic skills well but I'm not sure if it should be a work portfolio. Do you have any built work experience. If so, then I would use real projects, drawings and maybe include a few select images from this project to put in the back (like the final drawings).
Unless you are applying for an OMA job (even then they probably won't care) they want to see that you can put together a construction set, not your theoretical research...
Looks cool though, thanks for sharing...

Aug 11, 10 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
phld21

^ I agree. Page 2 and 3 should be the cover/back of the portfolio. They are really powerful.

It's a good overview of your thesis, but you should include your other work from school too. It doesn't give a sense of your early ideas in school, or the wide range of skills/programs you had to deal with in school. Try and get across as much of 'you' as possible.

Aug 14, 10 1:30 am  · 
 · 
threeewizmen

Thanks for the feedback. Here is an update, I've added other projects to the mix to hopefully make it more rounded in terms of using it for interviews.

http://issuu.com/mdh264/docs/matthewhoffman-portfolio

Aug 14, 10 9:09 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: