Archinect
anchor

Portfolio Help

Talia0974

Hello everyone,

http://issuu.com/thomasalia/docs/alia_portfolio

This is a work sample I put together in order to apply for an architecture internship at firm.  I just finished my first year in an M.Arch program.

It's a little different than a normal work sample - I experimented with a continuous composition across all my projects, rather than make it into a book form with pages.  If I were to send in a physical copy, I would simply fold the pages.  The composition contains 5 projects in total, and are read vertically.

For the actual portfolio, I would modify these pages and turn in a more conventional format.  I'm simply trying to get the firm's attention with this one.  

Any and all feedback is appreciated.  

Thanks,

Tom

May 25, 14 3:39 pm
BulgarBlogger

Graduate portfolio expressive of worthiness for a job? More like a final presentation gone wrong...

Too confusing and too abstract for a work seeking portfolio...I think that is the biggest mistake people on this website asking for portfolio advice are making... They think that just because they are applying to work for OMA or some other firm like that, whose projects and leadership are at the center of academic discourse, that somehow such a firms are looking to fill positions that require little technical knowledge...and by technical I don't mean being an expert in a particular software... Firms want to hire people who can help REALIZE their projects, not people who can talk about them... If they have an artistic eye and passion for theory- all the better. But to get hired, you must must MUST demonstrate some proficiency in knowing how a building gets put together,

This doesn't mean that you should sprinkle a few technical details on so e pages and call it a day... You really need to demonstrate that you know the basics of how to put a comprehensive project together... The successful portfolios show a multitude of different skills and pieces of knowledge that bring a project from an idea into a possibility for real world implementation. Successful portfolios transcend words- they effectively portray the process of designing a building or space from start to finish. 

Unfortunately your portfolio has not accomplished this objective. 

May 25, 14 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
hsiuchi

Perhaps I am less critical...but I kinda like it! I'm just thinking if I'm in a position of sorting through hundreds of portfolio looking for someone to hire, I would really appreciate applications that tires to be thoughtful and creative with their presentation.  Remembering portfolios that would appear on my boss's desk everyday at my last internship, having a creative but uncumbersome (is that a word?) portfolio indeed does add points. But emphasis on UNCUMBERSOME, meaning something they should be able to stuff in their bag/read in their car/with one hand holding coffee kind of uncumbersome. I suppose "thoughtfulness" is the best word to describe a good/creative presentation, like having a creative but easy to understand navigation element or ease of opening/closing the portfolio, those definitely were the biggest attention grabber in my last firm.

As for the content, I guess it also depends on how big the print out will be in real life. If you say this is only a sample then I think it makes perfect sense, but (again, from listening my last boss interviewing people) be prepared to have more to show on the fly for each project. It would be really beneficial to let people know somewhere in your application that more detail can be provided upon request or something. 

Anyways every firm is different and what they look for/appreciate is different. The above comments are from my experience with my last intern position (a firm thats very unconventional and multidisciplinary)...and I only had one...so I'd say take what you think makes sense to you. I'm struggling with my portfolio too, my bachelors was in something else before my M.Arch. If you are curious you are welcome to take a look at mine (I also have a portfolio thread on this forum). If you have comments too I'd love to hear what you think!

Good luck!

May 25, 14 10:13 pm  · 
 · 
hsiuchi

I thought I would add one additional advice that someone I looked up to passed on to me. Its that while creative presentations are encouraged, the most important thing is the content, so let your work speak for themselves, and don't let the presentation over power the content. Your portfolio will be eye catching if you've done good work!

May 26, 14 1:41 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: