Archinect
anchor

I want to get architects working again

kingofeverything

I think I can help architects find work. My entire career I've been bringing buyers & sellers together in the construction industry. For over 27 years I've focused on getting work for subcontractors and sales for material and equipment suppliers. I've done this as the editor of The Blue Book.
It dawned on me recently that the thousands of owners, developers and GC's using my website every day are probably interested in finding architects to design their projects. I'd like to develop an "Architect/Client Resource Center" on the Blue Book's website where potential clients could browse through a firm's portfolio. I think this would provide a beneficial service to owners, developers & GC's........and, it would help architect's find work. If you are interested please let me know your thoughts on this thread. The website is www.thebluebook.com or our search engine for architects www.bpmselect.com

Aug 2, 10 11:42 am
..bleh

im more interested in how you became the king of everything.

Aug 3, 10 12:40 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ
if architects are creators of the world,
and, he is the provider of work for architects,
then he is the king of everything
Aug 3, 10 12:53 am  · 
 · 
Paradox

Pipe dreams....

Aug 3, 10 1:54 am  · 
 · 
trace™
Design Guide

has been around for a while, you might take a look.

I was not impressed with them when I saw they were using images without permission. Granted, that was about 8 years ago before the site was promoted (they were soliciting me).

It'll take quite a lot of work to get that level of presentation (from the design of the site to the coding to getting the work from the architect's and photographers).

Just make sure that it is well designed, presented logically and organized well. If you are promoting 'design', the look and feel of the website will be important (ie plenty of images, flexible, etc.).

Aug 3, 10 9:21 am  · 
 · 
kingofeverything

I like the way strlt_typ thinks....I have a 100 year old brand in the industry that I'm going to leverage so that every architect that wants exposure to owners who have design needs can be found......for free

Aug 3, 10 9:52 am  · 
 · 
2step

How do you compete with FW Dodge or Service Magic? Dont they do this already?

Aug 3, 10 10:07 am  · 
 · 
kingofeverything

Service Magic provides leads for "home-owner" related work...the Blue Book is commercial/industrial/hvy. hwy and larger residentail (condo's & tract housing) . Dodge sells project leads subscriptions to anyone......and they don't provide too many private projects. The Blue Book only sends leads to targeted contractors....ie: a plumbing project is never viewed by an excavating company....and we put through about 1,200 private project per week. Most are "user generated by GC's and Developers using our BB-Bid tool

Aug 3, 10 10:18 am  · 
 · 
JoeyD

Sounds like it could be a good resource for small to mid-size firms not well connected to the big job pipeline. What would it cost?

Aug 3, 10 10:37 am  · 
 · 
kingofeverything

It is...especially if you are looking for retail work. Many of the large retail GC's use us because they are not familiar with qualified sub's and suppliers in different parts of the country. They use our service (which is free) to create an online planroom( for free....we even label and index their plans) and message different trades. We make money selling "business builder" programs for subs and suppliers. The cost varies based on the different trade classifications they want to advertise under and the different geographical regions.

Aug 3, 10 10:45 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

You might want to hire someone to upgrade the graphics package of the hardcopy of Blue Book....an Architect with a strong graphics background might be just the ticket.

Aug 4, 10 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
kingofeverything

Funny you should mention that. We hired and architect to help us develop BPM Select.....our search engine for architects and now she is working on upgrading all of our graphics....print and online.

Aug 4, 10 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
DisplacedArchitect

blue book is a great source, could displaced architects get a free copy or not?

Aug 4, 10 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
kingofeverything

Yes..send me your name and address and I'll send you a free copy [email protected]

Aug 4, 10 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

yahoo another architect with a job!

Aug 4, 10 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Not to be too cynical, but I would describe what you really want to do is get higher traffic to your website(s). Your click rates must have tumbled as well in the past few years.

Overall workload of the profession will remain the same regardless of any online optimization search tools.

I think a more honest headline would have been:"I want to get architects to compete even harder in an already over-competitive field". "Please go to my website and click around" would also do the trick.

Aug 4, 10 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
kingofeverything

No, My intention is not to build more traffic to my site. I was reading blogs about how disappointed architects were with AIA because they were ourt of work, and AIA was not helping them. When I was at the AIA show in Miami this year an exhinitor told me that 41% of architects in the US were unemployed. I don't know where he get's his info, but the point is unemployment among architects is much higher than normal. I already have very heavy, targeted traffic on my site. It just seems like a good idea to expose architecs to my audience

Aug 4, 10 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
sparcx

I feel that this could be great. Anything that gets your name out there and in front of people that are looking for architects can only be a positive. kingofeverything, what is the process to get involved?

Aug 5, 10 11:42 pm  · 
 · 
kingofeverything

sparcx......send me your email address and I'll forward you the info...my email is [email protected]

Aug 6, 10 8:39 am  · 
 · 
l3wis

totally obvious

Aug 6, 10 9:10 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: