Archinect
anchor

Job Titles

Josh Mings,

Do all the single family houses you want Balkins. I'm not interested in that. But when you show your incompetence in designing an assembly space (which was not exempt by the way), of course we aren't going to like you. You actively put people in danger with your incompetence.

Plus all the rants. Holy hell you could make a hell of a crackpot website.

It would be exempt when the building is 4000 sq.ft. or less in ground area and 20 ft. or less in height. Laser measurement to highest overhead interior finish of the building from the top surface of the finish floor is 19'-9" +/- 1/8". The ground area is the sum of two rectangles that are as follow:

Rectangle A (CMU portion): 40'-4" x 74'-10"  = 3,018.277777777777777777777777777777777777777777777 sq.ft.

Rectangle B (an addition circa 1980s): ~22'-1" x 44' = ~972 sq.ft.

That is 3,990.2777777777777777777777777777777777777777777 sq.ft.

That puts it under ORS 671.030 (2)(c). ORS 671.030 (2)(d) applies to building not other exempted under ORS 671.030 (2)(b) and 671.030(2)(c). That is how this exemption is applied and enforced. 

You might want to read the following:

http://orbae.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Reference_Manual_030415.pdf

Jun 9, 16 3:18 pm  · 
 · 

When it comes to measurement, OBAE can hire their own person to measure. It doesn't matter, the building's actual physical dimension matters. It doesn't matter if you are God, if you make a mistake in measurements and the actual building's measurements can be verified by others and prove God's measurement is wrong then the correct measurements matter. Engineers and Architects are both less than God. So where do you think you stand in the totem pole or authority. In other words, the courts takes the facts and findings including contest of findings to verify the actual facts.

Jun 9, 16 3:23 pm  · 
 · 

Balkins, why did you give us so many decimal places for the first area, but not for the second? Shouldn't you be consistent for both numbers; either with that asinine amount of decimal places, or with rounding to a whole number?

Plus with the second area you are indicating roughly 22'-1" for that dimension. Is it 22'-1" or is it something more or less?

Jun 9, 16 3:31 pm  · 
 · 

no_form,

United States is not really a free country. If it was, would you think it would have more people in jail per capita than almost any other country in the world. 

Jun 9, 16 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

nice deflection with your prison statistics Balkins.  i'm glad you didn't refute the fact that you're a fucking idiot.  case closed.  

Jun 9, 16 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I'm so glad I don't inhabit the same reality as Balkins. It sounds like a terrible, stressful place.

Jun 9, 16 3:48 pm  · 
 · 

E_I,

Part of that has to do with calculating with the corner trims. If you want the long fraction, here:

971.666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666 sq.ft.

Jun 9, 16 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

Balkins = 100.0000000000000000000000000000000% fucking idiot.

Jun 9, 16 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Don't you mean 971.666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666667?

And that's not a fraction.

Jun 9, 16 3:51 pm  · 
 · 

tduds,

You do live in the U.S. It's amazing how such a so called free country like the U.S. can have such a terribly high prison rate.

Wow, a free country. LOL!

Jun 9, 16 3:53 pm  · 
 · 

tduds,

Square feet are converted into decimal format.

Jun 9, 16 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

balkins, you've made your own prison cell.  the basement of your parent's house.  and your mind is an even higher level maximum security prison.  free yourself from your idiotic thinking.  

take the red pill and wake up.

Jun 9, 16 3:56 pm  · 
 · 

U.S. has an prison population per capita of around 10x the average in Scandinavia.

Wow....

Jun 9, 16 4:01 pm  · 
 · 

no_form, I'm talking about facts. This is no joke.

Jun 9, 16 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

But you said fraction. Just making sure you know that decimals aren't fractions.

As you would know, it's never safe to assume anything.

Jun 9, 16 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

You know what is awesome?  When threads aren't about Richard.

Problem is, most of those threads involve questions like "which computer is the best for school?", and "What should my thesis be?". 

Jun 9, 16 4:14 pm  · 
 · 

Jun 9, 16 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Silent treatment?

From this post on I'm going to act as if Rick's posts are invisible. Who's with me?

Jun 9, 16 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

You just don't seem to grasp what I am getting at. That's fine.

Nah I was just wondering how insignificant and pedantic a comment I could make that you'd still reply seriously to. Now I know.

Okay you're going on mute. Cheers buddy!

Jun 9, 16 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

balkins why are you now focused on prisons?  oh, because of your Scandinavian pyramid scheme.  or is that you're worried about being incarcerated for manslaughter if things go bad at the theater?

Jun 9, 16 4:17 pm  · 
 · 

You're right. I meant long decimal.

Anyway, you don't write square feet or square meters in fraction form in practice. You convert to decimals. Decimals are basically a representation of fractions that are:

I n/10^e

I = Integer or whole number

n = numerator

e = exponent

Jun 9, 16 4:21 pm  · 
 · 

no_form, 

Do you even know what a pyramid scheme is? I don't get the feeling that you do.

As for manslaughter, someone has to die for that charge to be a concern. However, I don't worry about that. 

With regards to prison topic, that about explaining how the U.S. is not a free country. We stop being that way during the 20th century. Truly free countries should have significantly lower prison rates than countries notorious for oppression and imprisoning people.  Especially a country of its size and population level. It's one thing for a small island country with very low population to have high percentile rate. 

Jun 9, 16 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

balkins, you should get the feeling that i do know what a pyramid scheme is and that i'm only using that phrase to mock you.  but since you're a linear thinking bot you don't get that.  

yes, you don't worry about anyone dying in the theater because you're a narcissist and have little empathy for anyone but yourself.  

hey why don't you join alex jones' prison planet forum where you can rant and rave about how oppressive it is living in america.  

Jun 9, 16 4:42 pm  · 
 · 

Balkins, I would think you would want to express the area as precisely as possible. Expressing the value as 971.666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666 sq.ft. would actually be more precise as 971.666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666667 sq.ft. and even more precise as 971-2/3 sq.ft. ... but that would be concise, and we know you aren't very good at that. However, since your starting measurements are not very precise, you'd be better off not trying to represent them as that precise.

Jun 9, 16 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
anonitect

From this post on I'm going to act as if Rick's posts are invisible. Who's with me?

I'm with you. I suggested this before, and then ya'll went and argued with the guy for another 800 posts on that theater clusterfuck thread.

Just don't respond to his posts. I'm halfway convinced that he's the world's champion troll, baiting you suckers into impotently sputtering and ranting. At this point, ruined threads are the fault of those who encourage him by responding. The guy isn't going to change.

Just don't take the bait. Balkins who?

Jun 9, 16 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

i'm with you on that anontiect, but i have to say it's entertaining to hear his rantings.  if only it could be contained.  someone once made that "what should balkins do?" thread but it died out.  

Jun 9, 16 5:02 pm  · 
 · 

E_I,

I agree. However, I took the larger measurements. Technically, I don't need to include the 1x3 corner trims. I measured with the laser to include the corner trim because its more easier and to extent accurate line measurement. However, it puts the sq.ft. count slightly higher. In any case, counting the trim would not increase the measurement to the point to exceed 4000 sq.ft.

I know my sq.ft. at the beginning and even after the work was done (as I did not propose any physically attached addition to the building in any drawings.... ever) was under 4000 sq.ft. 

I did a laser measurement for the height and the height was 19'-9 +/- 1/8". This can be accounted for the floor including a portion of the floor that had been cut out for new plumbing pipe line to be installed and then re-poured back in. I measured at the lowest points along the floor so there would not be a 3" difference in floor elevation. I purposefully chose those points so that as you go towards the front of the building along the center line, the floor dips but at a certain point, the floor practically plateaus out and the change is less than an inch difference. I can visually tell. If you were there, you could tell. I couldn't exactly get the absolute lowest point  to the highest overhead interior finish because there is no way to send the laser up in a straight line. However, whatever the difference in the floor from where I measured to the absolute lowest point in the building would be less than an inch. Less than even a 1/2". Therefore, I am confident in the measurement of the finish floor to the highest overhead interior finish is under 19'-10" and definitely under 20'-0".

If someone else measures it and does it right like actually using a laser meter and measure from the floor to the highest overhead interior finish, I'm fine with it. However, I don't plan on doing any other measurements on these matter or get involved in this any further and I wouldn't recommend any of you to do so. 

Jun 9, 16 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
eeayeeayo

Employer point of view, it would borderline discrimination on a person's political views and beliefs. This includes political view within an occupation not just government politics. You got to be a little careful about it.

Political points of view are not protected.  Discrimination based on political beliefs is perfectly legal in hiring.  There's no need to be careful about it - I can tell people flat out that I'm not hiring them for that specific reason.

When it comes to projects, unless you are a government official that has authority over the jurisdiction (which can be both geographical and also subject matter within the geographical), you do not have the authority to give orders to anyone other than your employees or subordinates. You can not give orders to a contractor's employees or volunteers of your client. You can explain what you're design intent and what you are hoping to see as outcome but you can't give orders to those who don't work for you.

In a situation where an architect knows that a client is doing things that are not code compliant, most states require that the architect report that immediately in writing to the AHJ.  Failing to do so can get me a year in prison for each instance.  I don't know what your legal obligation is as an unlicensed person - but you keep claiming that you're held to exactly the same standards as a licensed professional, so then why would you be exempt from that?  You should have reported all of these infractions to the AHJ in writing years 7 or 8 years ago - and yet you've scolded us here because we've done just that.

Jun 9, 16 5:20 pm  · 
 · 

no_form,

balkins, you should get the feeling that i do know what a pyramid scheme is and that i'm only using that phrase to mock you.  but since you're a linear thinking bot you don't get that.  

You just come off like a moron. I know you are using the phrase to mock me but how you come off like an idiot because you use the term like an idiot who doesn't know what a  pyramid scheme is.

If you really know what a pyramid scheme is, then explain it exactly and factually.

How exactly am I offering & performing services  a pyramid scheme?

Jun 9, 16 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

Here we go again.

Balkins I sent somebody to measure.  I have a video.

Jun 9, 16 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Bloopox, don't forget to specify dimensions to a 27 digits precision.
Jun 9, 16 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
Um, no Balkins, I'm not going to tell you what you already know. Unlike you I'm not a bot. I don't need to cut and paste something anyone can google or already knows.

Balkins, since you've joined this forum you've done nothing. Have you looked for jobs? Are you sending out resumes? No. You've done nothing.

Don't you want to earn money and enjoy your life? Don't you have goals you want to achieve. Your life is so sad. Unplug from the web and do something productive.
Jun 9, 16 5:43 pm  · 
 · 

no_form, containing Balkins is like trying to turn a blizzard into a light rain shower with a hairdryer. I've been one to engage him in the past, but I'm all for ignoring him. Makes me wish there was a way to ignore specific users' posts so they don't even show up. We got the forum to add an "exclude academia" threads option. Can't we get one added for all of Balkins' posts?

Jun 9, 16 5:59 pm  · 
 · 

In a situation where an architect knows that a client is doing things that are not code compliant, most states require that the architect report that immediately in writing to the AHJ.  Failing to do so can get me a year in prison for each instance.  I don't know what your legal obligation is as an unlicensed person - but you keep claiming that you're held to exactly the same standards as a licensed professional, so then why would you be exempt from that?  You should have reported all of these infractions to the AHJ in writing years 7 or 8 years ago - and yet you've scolded us here because we've done just that.

I have reported those issues that I have seen. I did complain to the B.O. by going to the Building Department and talked to the building official in person as well as an email that I had sent about submission of drawings that were not for permit submittal.

I don't file complaints of code violations unless I verify it is a code violation, first. Second, I contact client before I contact AHJ. I don't file complaints of code violations on the assumption of a code violation. In other words, I verify and get the facts. For example, mechanical. I have to see the mechanical plans before I issue complaints of code violation. The same goes with sprinklers or other issues. In other issues where its not in plans, I have to see in person not just photographs that are weeks or months even years old. I have to verify the condition of code violation is present and not already corrected. 

That is what I am trying to get at. Many of the code violations as they are, were not present when I was last there. For example, issues regarding closets and such that were not code compliant, they were not there at the time because the rooms in the "backstage" were vacant. They did not have those items installed. They didn't have the clutter. 

Some of the stuff were "to be installed" at the time so I didn't complained because I was under the impression they were being implemented under the responsible charge of the engineers such as the mechanical systems and fire sprinklers. I didn't get to see the drawings but only passively aware of engineers being involved for mechanical and fire sprinklers. I had no contractual relationship with the engineers and I wasn't told who they were.

It made it impossible to check up on their work but I can't file it as a code violation. It isn't necessarily. I don't file complaints of code violations unless I am absolutely certain of it. I don't go out and deliberately cause my clients hardship by contacting the building department or other AHJ before hand. 

There are some issues I have noticed outside the fire code that still needs to be resolved.

I'm at this point, staying out of it. 

Jun 9, 16 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

^  at this point, staying out of it. 

Bwahahahahahahahahahahaha

Jun 9, 16 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

no_form. any updates on your calls to Astoria? I doubt there's much internet access from prison, seems like the most logical way to go about this.

Jun 9, 16 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

Second, I contact client before I contact AHJ.

If an architect has advised a client that a particular design direction does not meet code, or that a particular omission from the project will result in a code violation, and then the client proceeds in that direction anyway, then the architect must IMMEDIATELY report that to the AHJ.  Dicking around writing three letters to the client or whatever is illegal, and the existence of that paper trail of dated letters or emails to the client would actually prove that the architect did not comply with the law in immediately reporting to the AHJ.

This is where you, as an "unlicensed professional", can get away with such a course of action, while we who are licensed are expressly required to report these infractions immediately.

As for verifying code infractions:  most of those that have been pointed out to you about this theater project are readily apparent.  There's no need to look at drawings to see, from photos, that there are no smoke vents, no smoke curtain (impossible since there are no vestibules), various ADA and egress problems, and so on.  The very fact that you linked us to those photos makes you directly responsible for causing us to be legally required to report those issues.  If you wanted your client to be able to fritter away another 7 or 8 years while you wrote them a few more letters about these problems, then you should not have posted links to any photos.

Jun 9, 16 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

bench, please see the CPBD thread for a follow up on the theater.

Jun 9, 16 7:20 pm  · 
 · 

Jun 9, 16 8:58 pm  · 
 · 

In Oregon, there is no definition for immediate. In addition, no Oregon Registered Architect has ever been sent to prison for contacting the client first about issues that is brought up to their attention and verifying the issues that had been brought up to their attention before informing the AHJ in the entire history of OBAE.

In fact, if you inform the client that you will have to contact the AHJ about the matter (if the client happens to refuse to address the issue voluntarily) prior to informing the AHJ, Oregon registered architect have never received disciplinary action for waiting a little bit. 

If a client agrees to do something and begin work, it is okay to give them time to make a plan of action and prepare a time frame and get actively working on the issues. 

Jun 9, 16 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

OBAE is not the AHJ in code matters.  There is no requirement to report clients' code infractions to OBAE, nor does OBAE or any other state's board have the authority to send anyone to prison.

"Immediate" is indeed defined in Oregon's criminal and civil laws.  Failure to report code infractions are civil and sometimes criminal matters, and architects have indeed been fined and received prison terms for failure to report.  Ordinarily prison time is reserved for cases involving grave injury or death.  So far that has not happened as a result of this theater project.  So far.

Jun 9, 16 9:31 pm  · 
 · 

Where is your evidence in Oregon? I am not disagreeing with your first paragraph. In fact, I agree with you on that.

Immediate is also interpreted contextually. Lets say, a code violation like clutter in the egress. That is something that you don't report to AHJ. That is clearly something you talk to the client about. Some issues that was brought up was not issues were issues that are part of operation code violations that are not necessarily present after a show. I can't take photos and just use the photos without field verifying or otherwise verifying in documentation. 

A presumption of code violation is not required to be reported immediately.  In addition, things that happened after I was involved contractually, I no longer have a duty to monitor the activities of past clients. No Oregon Architect is required to monitor unless that monitoring is contracted for. For example, one can not tell an immediately tell if an exhaust fan has smoke control ventilation from one that doesn't. In addition, alternative methods stamped and approved by an engineer is not something that I or you or any Oregon registered architect is going to file a code violation complaint unless they know. I have to research the matter before I can do that. Some of this was already installed when I saw them and the client already had a temporary certificate of occupancy by the Building Official. The last time I was there prior to seeing those systems installed was before they were even on the site so I couldn't verify any of that. Add to that, they were part of work prepared by an engineer (as what was told to me). Therefore, I am not going to challenge it until I have sufficient grounds to. I'm not going to challenge an engineer's plans and specifications unless I can prove the engineer made a mistake or error or something. Even you would want to be certain before getting your butt in a shit storm against an engineer.

As far as the smoke curtain stuff goes, you can still use a smoke curtain if a vestibule is not required. Reasons a vestibule may not be required would be if the "Room" (theater room / assembly room) is under 3000 sq.ft.  The Olio Drop curtain is possibly an actual rated smoke curtain. It *looks* like the material used is an effective smoke guarding material (neoprene or silicone or something like that) due to the non-porous material. I can't say for the fire rating, off-hand. It probably has some rating. 

Jun 9, 16 11:00 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
Balkins you dumb shit. The Fire Marshall says you're wrong. Are you really going to debate him?
Jun 9, 16 11:54 pm  · 
 · 

no_form,

The Fire Marshal and fire chief didn't say anything like that. Since you don't have the report, enough said.

Jun 10, 16 12:55 am  · 
 · 
Bloopox

Rick a "smoke curtain" is not a physical curtain made out of fabric or neoprene or whatever - it's an air handling strategy, and does not work if there are doors directly to the exterior.  You should really stop.

The under 3000 sf thing can get you out of needing vestibules, but only if you don't need them to meet another code requirement.  This building, because of the lack of full sprinklers (i.e. none under stage), requires smoke vents and a smoke curtain.  You need the vestibules in order for the smoke curtain to work.

Jun 10, 16 8:55 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Smoke curtain....

Jun 10, 16 9:42 am  · 
 · 

I wonder if we will see a new hot box typology come along with legality/dispensaries. 

Jun 10, 16 10:33 am  · 
 · 
tduds

"In Oregon, there is no definition for immediate."

I want this on a bumper sticker. It describes the PNW lifestyle well.

Jun 10, 16 12:06 pm  · 
 · 

^ I like it. Having driven plenty of roads in many NW states, the pacific ones always seem to have slower speed limits. My wife and I joke that Oregon doesn't care if you want to get out of the state, but Idaho at least acknowledges that all you want to do is drive through as fast as you can.

Jun 10, 16 12:38 pm  · 
 · 

I'll add that the map above reflects a recent (March 2016) increase from 65 to 70 mph on some OR freeways. Without that, the change in speed at the Idaho-Oregon border is even more pronounced.

Jun 10, 16 12:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: