Archinect
anchor

2013 M.Arch Applicants, Commiserate Here!

Cizz

I just got in U of Oregon by email , March 1 

In shock !!!

Mar 11, 13 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
mtt9999

hmmm. I received my GSD MDesS package and got an average size of money, but no Tier 2 grant money, even though I applied with my parents info (and they are not rich by any means). Perhaps I will call them tomorrow to see why I did not receive this money...

Either way the amount they gave me will make it bearable. Barring a full ride to Cooper Union, I am going to Harvard!!

In: GSD, McGill

Out: Yale

Waiting: Cooper Union

Mar 11, 13 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
observant

Michigan TCAUP vs UVA:

Anyone have any thoughts on these two schools?

Which school would you rather attend if you had the choice? Etc.

I saw this earlier, and I'll weigh in.  Along with Berkeley, those are the 3 most prestigious public schools in the country, though UCLA has joined those ranks.

Virginia:  more exclusive, smaller university, very small class, you'll be more coddled, great if you plan to live on the Atlantic Seaboard, the small school size doesn't make for as many electives and breadth, has traditionally focused on history and theory, beautiful location.

Michigan:  great school, big school, national reputation, larger a-school and larger, more varied incoming class, more options and electives, nice college town and Detroit (not that hot is 45 min. away, versus over 2 hours to DC), less pretentious and more applied - I say this because I've had MDs who went to UMich and were down to earth.

I'd pick Michigan for a better match, but please get more opinions.  Match the school to YOU.

Mar 11, 13 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
thinkgreen

This is the most painful wait in all of history.  I know. Terribly first world

but terrible still! lol

Mar 11, 13 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
Tanuja

@thinkgreen Hahaha no I totally agree. This sucks!!

Mar 11, 13 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
ziazia

Yeah this wait sucks!!

Just got admitted to U. of Oregon by email. 

Mar 11, 13 6:55 pm  · 
 · 

Just got an offer from UO Portland program..

@Juventus i think we have been accpeted to all the same schools.  Di you apply for Eugene or Portland?

Mar 11, 13 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
sensation

@batman.. i'm sorry to hear you didn't receive a scholarship from GSAPP... i'm not too sure how they assign their scholarships.. i'm also from CA

how did you receive 18k from USC to attend graduate school??

Mar 11, 13 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
korrego

Have you guys realized that we are close to 1000 posts?? Geez...Are we THAT anxious? haha...

On the other hand, I feel like if I've met a lifetime of arch friends/buddies in here. Wow, thanks guys....you'll always have a place in my search bar  =)

Mar 11, 13 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
ziazia

@PhillipPanzarella

Congrats! To the Portland program. Out of the ones you have been accepted what is your top now?

Mar 11, 13 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
korrego

@tyler hopf

Congrats!!! I would be thrilled to get a call from Polo-Zaera. Is it a good offer? Are you going to accept? It's always SO nice to have a small class.

Mar 11, 13 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
j.maher

Anyone still waiting Cornell ? 

Mar 11, 13 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
shep

@j.maher

Still waiting...

Mar 11, 13 7:18 pm  · 
 · 

@juventus

Thanks...Congrats to you too!  Oregon has pretty much been my top school the whole time. I could possibly choose Berkeley over Oregon if I get in, but we well see.  What about you?

Mar 11, 13 7:22 pm  · 
 · 

@mtt9999:

when did you receive the official GSD letter? i'm still waiting for mine, and it's been a week since the e-mail... but may take a day or two more, since im i hawaii...crossing fingers for a decent aid, but still worth the debt! =)

Mar 11, 13 7:23 pm  · 
 · 
batman

@sensation

"@batman.. i'm sorry to hear you didn't receive a scholarship from GSAPP... i'm not too sure how they assign their scholarships.. i'm also from CA

how did you receive 18k from USC to attend graduate school??"

I guess that's a good question. I dont know how I got 18k Merit scholarship.

if i was considering what's the cheapest option for me, it would be dumb for me to turn down USC for GSAPP. two years only and plus 18k....

but its GSAPP :(

Mar 11, 13 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
lopes0421

In at UCB! Unofficial with an official email from the Dean to follow!

Mar 11, 13 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
ziazia

@PhillipPanzarella

I think for now my top school is uPenn, but ill have to think it over once everything is in. And same thing, berkeley over any of those... im anxious to hear from them!

Mar 11, 13 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
ziazia

@lopes0421

Congrats!! What program?? you got the email today?

Mar 11, 13 7:31 pm  · 
 · 

In at Berkeley...wow wasnt really expecting that. Now I have a hard decision to make

Mar 11, 13 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
batman

what!?!?!?!? is UCB coming outttt

is this for M.arch???

Mar 11, 13 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
ziazia

Congrats on those acceptances to Berkeley!!!!... now i am nervous!!

Mar 11, 13 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
batman

SOMEONE FUCKING HOLD ME...... i still havent received email yet...

Mar 11, 13 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
spudsrfr123

Just heard from Berkeley too. Unofficial email with a real one to follow. Here they come...!

Mar 11, 13 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
spudsrfr123

forgot to mention M.Arch Option 3, non-arch background

Mar 11, 13 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
Tanuja

Ahh no email from Oregon yet!!

Mar 11, 13 7:42 pm  · 
 · 
sensation

@batman... hmm i attend USC.. ..uh no offense, i wouldn't attend their graduate program..but i understand your dilemma 

Mar 11, 13 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
helenakeys

@international students

so today i took to chance to ask cornell when i called them about the proof of financial funds for visa application, and they confirmed that u are supposed to prove 244k of AVAILABLE funds!!! meaning bank statement! which makes no sense at all, what about expected income???? In any case even if u gather a quarter million with relative's account that's still for show and has no relevance on ur actual ability to pay.  WHY BOTHER?!

im starting to worry about these issues now since i will sooner or later have to face them regardless of the school...

plus Yale's letter only states expected expenses for a single year... i thought the rule was to prove available funds for THAT ONE year... anybody knows? one yr or entire program?

Mar 11, 13 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
kingmax

Anyone hear from UBC (Canada)??

Mar 11, 13 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
ziazia

@kingmax

Nothing from them I am waiting. 

I have a question for everyone. How does UBC stand compared to the top schools in  the US? It would be interesting to hear your opinions. 

Mar 11, 13 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
Jono Lee

UBC will get back to us the end of this week I'm sure...

Mar 11, 13 8:19 pm  · 
 · 

@mtt9999:

It just came in the mail, but stuck at work for 2.5 hours... so gonna wait =( crossing my fingers for a good aid

Mar 11, 13 8:22 pm  · 
 · 
batman

@senssation

"@batman... hmm i attend USC.. ..uh no offense, i wouldn't attend their graduate program..but i understand your dilemma "

why? are you there now as an undergrad? can you give me more details!

Mar 11, 13 8:22 pm  · 
 · 
kingmax

@juventus7

I know it's solid in Canada. Not sure how it is viewed in the states.  It's certainly competitive for international applicants. Last year 142 intl applicants and only 19 offers.  I just noticed a couple of people on gradcafe were admitted last week.... 

Mar 11, 13 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
sensation

@batman.. i'm an undergrad... the graduate program is no where close to the undergraduate program.. they almost lost their accreditation last year.. even the head director told me not to apply.. .the only thing USC graduate program has is its network, but i suggest you try sci-arc, uc berkeley, ucla.. [if you applied] 

Mar 11, 13 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
j.maher

No email from Berkeley. Seems like it will be the 4th school that ll keep me waiting - and probably reject- .

Mar 11, 13 8:45 pm  · 
 · 
batman

@sensation -

what and where can this network take me?

and im surprised to heard that since one of my friends friend like the program.

I have been meaning to check out their program this week. I'm in LA btw

USC was the only LA school I applied to. went to UCLA already

Mar 11, 13 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
joygraphica

@Cizz @Philip Panzarella  @juventus7   :Congrats!

I just got into U Oregon too! (Eugene / Summer) 

Waiting to hear from UBC as well... 

Mar 11, 13 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
sensation

@batman... USC has a MAJOR network.. it will get you a jobs..but remember, "it's not what you know, but who you know"... but u cannot compare USC's arch. graduate school with GSAPP's

Mar 11, 13 9:02 pm  · 
 · 
Tanuja

@people who got into Oregon

Was it for summer or fall?

Mar 11, 13 9:26 pm  · 
 · 
Cizz

@ joygraphica
Congrats I'm summer in Eugene, maybe well be classmates
Waiting on Cornell however

Mar 11, 13 9:39 pm  · 
 · 
lopes0421

@juventus7

MArch program. First professional. Yes email today around 6pm ct.

Mar 11, 13 9:42 pm  · 
 · 
j.maher

Heads up to everyone who applied to sci-arc

just noticed on my.sciarc.edu that April 1 is the official admission decisions announcement date. Pretty late if you ask me.

ignore if you already knew..

Mar 11, 13 10:30 pm  · 
 · 
eternalized

Finally got my letter for cornell on the website...checked bc I saw a bunch of people on grad cafe got waitlisted...and yup, just like I predicted, got waitlisted at cornell :/...getting off the waitlist is impossible...

Mar 11, 13 10:31 pm  · 
 · 
j.maher

^^ i STILL don't see any letter in my Cornell app.. this is getting ridiculous

Mar 11, 13 10:35 pm  · 
 · 
Tanuja

If I got rejected from Cornell and wustl, do I even have a chance at UPenn??

Mar 11, 13 10:39 pm  · 
 · 
batman

@sensation

@batman... USC has a MAJOR network.. it will get you a jobs..but remember, "it's not what you know, but who you know"... but u cannot compare USC's arch. graduate school with GSAPP's

why cant you compare? i think it's valid to compare....

and is it true that their m.arch program is only 36 students+?

Mar 11, 13 11:03 pm  · 
 · 
eternalized

@ j.maher 

That is very ridiculous, but I called Cornell today and they said the decisions should be all out mid-week..so keep holding on! Hope you get some good news! 

Honestly, I have been on Cornell's waitlist before, and its practically impossible to get off...even being first in line is a bit tough since they have to see if there is room available, which is highly unlikely...so I'm honestly not going to bet on anything with Cornell..it'll be a miracle IF i did get off that darn waitlist :/ 

Mar 11, 13 11:35 pm  · 
 · 
rrnkenshin

@sensation

Is USC's graduate program that ... bad? So far they are the best choice for me, regarding scholarship offered and program's length. Could you please provide more insight info about the situation there?

@batman

When you come back from the visit to USC, please share your opinion. I'm an international and I can't do it by myself. There're only 3 days before their notification deadline...

Mar 11, 13 11:43 pm  · 
 · 
sensation

@batman.. i'm not sure but it sounds about right

@rrnkenshin...  its not that great..i'm an undergrad, so i don't know the exact details.. i just know that my friends who are graduates are not too satisfied with the program.. and by the way the graduate program is 90% asians. (no disrespect) and majority of them are from china

Mar 11, 13 11:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: