Archinect
anchor

2013 M.Arch Applicants, Commiserate Here!

helenakeys

@eternalized

i thought it would move pretty quickly since prob 50% of its accepted students will choose some other school in the end. But i think they have factored in the amount of ppl who turn down offers in their acceptances, say they send out 80-90 acceptances and expect to end up with 50-60 ppl actually going there...  i THINK thats how it works... i know, wait lists sound useless in this scenario

Mar 11, 13 11:50 pm  · 
 · 
helenakeys

damn i missed the 1000th post :(

there goes my chances

Mar 12, 13 12:06 am  · 
 · 

40K from the GSD!!! still crying!

Mar 12, 13 12:36 am  · 
 · 
Tanuja

@Leif

Congrats!! That is awesome =] I'm assuming that is your first choice??

Mar 12, 13 12:37 am  · 
 · 
sensation

@leif.... congrats!! which program? how much is the tuition? is this the financial aid package?? sorry for all the questions.. i'm really happy for you :)

Mar 12, 13 12:42 am  · 
 · 
gg_r

Well, shit.

Waitlisted at Cornell. Pretty  much assuming I will never get off that list.

So far:

IN:  IIT Chicago (2 yr Advanced Standing), WUSTL (2+), Syracuse (2.5 yr),

Waitlisted: Cornell

Waiting: Pratt

:((((

Mar 12, 13 1:04 am  · 
 · 
gg_r

How long does it usually take for one to find out if you make it off the list or not?

Being presumptious here.

Mar 12, 13 1:07 am  · 
 · 

@gg_r

how did u get 2.5 at Syracuse? Did you ask for AP or are you a B.Arch?

Mar 12, 13 1:18 am  · 
 · 
gg_r

I got a letter in the mail that said they offered me Advanced Standing of one semester plus 10K. I have an architecture background.

Mar 12, 13 1:28 am  · 
 · 
nitendo2046

I heard that there were interviews for MIT MArch 1. So does anyone know if there are interviews for MIT SMArchS ?

Mar 12, 13 1:32 am  · 
 · 
Tanuja

Oh okay. I didn't get AP or any $$! Is it still worth going?? I got like a research internship or something

· 
gg_r

@eternalized

You mentioned a bunch of people waitlisted at gradcafe, I counted 5 (including myself) wait listed at cornell for M ARCH I for the fall of 2013. And obviously plus who ever doesn't post their results.

How bad is the wait? By when do you really find out?

· 
gg_r

@Tanuja

Syracuse is still a really good school, I really can't tell you what to do... But I have heard they have good assistanships along with stipends.

I wouldn't know, sorry if i'm not of much help!

Mar 12, 13 1:37 am  · 
 · 
Tanuja

@gg_r

I know it is but I was expecting some money at least. I emailed them about a possible advanced standing, so I guess it depends on that. Thanks for you input =]

Mar 12, 13 1:41 am  · 
 · 
j.maher

still nothing from Cornell. I emailed them, will see what they have to say tomorrow I guess.  

Mar 12, 13 1:46 am  · 
 · 
nisha_1123

Congrats to everyone who got there admits

Do international students get there admits later? I have applied to Uni of Washington, Berkley, Sci-Arc, USC, ASU, Uni of Michigan(Urban Design), GSAPP,Cal Poly Pomona 

I have not heard back from any university while i saw some updates on grad cafe & archinect about people hearing form USC, GSAPP, ASU, Uni of Michigan (Urban Design)

Its crazy not even heard back from one of them...

Mar 12, 13 1:50 am  · 
 · 
Tanuja

@nisha

International students might get later notifications but you should call them. ASU came out mid feb, so it was a while ago. Pomona should be coming out this week. Good luck, hope it works out =]

Mar 12, 13 2:08 am  · 
 · 
batman

@rrnkenshin

@batman

When you come back from the visit to USC, please share your opinion. I'm an international and I can't do it by myself. There're only 3 days before their notification deadline.

Sure. ill report back when I go.

@sensation

@rrnkenshin...  its not that great..i'm an undergrad, so i don't know the exact details.. i just know that my friends who are graduates are not too satisfied with the program.. and by the way the graduate program is 90% asians. (no disrespect) and majority of them are from china

are you still there now? I need someone to show me around. or when is a good time to check out the school this week? i want to see the studios when it's full of people. and although I am asian myself, im disappointed if that  most of them are asians from china. i would like a diverse class as possible. maybe its fate that i should go to GSAPP....

Mar 12, 13 2:09 am  · 
 · 
sensation

@batman... yes, i'm a 5th year undergraduate. you should come on Weds or Fri during 2-6pm (studio hours).. the graduates may stay longer (they are located on the third floor of Watt Hall and share the floor with 5th year undergraduates).. Thursday I will be flying out to NYC to spy on MS.AAD students

Mar 12, 13 2:24 am  · 
 · 
korrego

@Leif Estrada

Congrats!! Please share with us what program where you applying and if all of those $$ are Tier grants (or maybe a combination of loans + grants).

Get out and celebrate! 

Mar 12, 13 2:45 am  · 
 · 
New ARch

Got an email from USC, that says I'm eligible for admission to the M.Arch.1. They told me my  application is not complete, and I have to send BS for i20. Does that mean that I haven't received any financial aid?

The email is from graduate admission office, not architecture school!

Please help me out.... Should I wait for an email from architecture school?

Mar 12, 13 3:30 am  · 
 · 
sensation

So is it possible for me to receive grants??? ..On February 8th, I turned in my FAFSA as an independent. I expect my financial aid package from GSAPP early April. As of now, I just have scholarships given to me by GSAPP..... hopefully I can get grants also.. does anybody know what to expect in a financial aid package? Does it include grants, besides loans?

Mar 12, 13 3:38 am  · 
 · 
New ARch

Made a mistake, it is from architecture school.....

@rrnkenshin

How did you find out that you are given scholarship?

Mar 12, 13 3:52 am  · 
 · 
rrnkenshin

@Tanuja

Info about AP and $$$ comes in the PDF letter signed by the Chair, not in the email from Speranza. I sent an email to ask for info about AP and $$$ and Speranza respond with that PDF copy of the official version which will come by mail "within a few weeks".

@gg_r

I've got 1 semester AP too, that makes the program 3 years long, not 2,5 years as you say, am I correct? Without the AP, it's 3,5 years (7 semesters).

It's a bit weird that they give only 1 semester AP...And that means we start in the Spring 2014 semester...

@New ARch

It was mentioned in the letter from the Dean of School of Architecture. I hope that your problem is just a paperwork issue, and you'll get your $$$.

@batman

I look forward to hearing from you man!!!

Mar 12, 13 3:59 am  · 
 · 
nitendo2046

Just find out there are several people who got interviews with MIT SMArchS. I`m soooooo sad right now.

Mar 12, 13 4:28 am  · 
 · 
New ARch

@rrnkenshin

Thank you:) I'm gonna call them to find out what is the problem.

Did you send the affidavit of financial support before getting the admission letter?

Mar 12, 13 6:09 am  · 
 · 
rrnkenshin

@New ARch

Yes, I scanned and sent them by email when submitting my application.

Mar 12, 13 6:29 am  · 
 · 
shep

Just got an email from Cornell. Waitlisted as well. 

Mar 12, 13 9:15 am  · 
 · 
e.m.g.

Congrats to all of the admits! Is anyone attending Berkeley's open house in April?

Also, is anyone waiting on Clemson? :)

Mar 12, 13 9:26 am  · 
 · 
xdfwx

@helenakeys

So u choose Cornell instead of Yale??? Could u give some reason?

OR maybe Cornell has better program?

Mar 12, 13 9:27 am  · 
 · 
jacobcohen

@helenakeys

Was going to call Cornell now, does it literally need to be a checking/savings account statement with 244K? that make no sense what so ever!  Do not think I will be able to prove that by April 30th! and Cornell is my number one choice at this point.  I hope I hear back soon from some other schools since I thought you have to prove one year for most.

Does anyone else have any advice for this situation @international students.

Mar 12, 13 9:33 am  · 
 · 
xdfwx

@jacobcohen

I got the March2 program of Cornell, so the total amount is around 90k. sounds luckier than you guys.

But  I think covering one year is way enough.

Mar 12, 13 9:40 am  · 
 · 
jacobcohen

@xdfwx

Ya I just called Cornell and they want enough for all 3.5 years... $244K.  It makes no sense i don't know anyone who has that liquid in an account and not invested.  Waiting on Canadian schools: UBC and University of Toronto as well as GSD and UPEnn to see what they ask for.

Mar 12, 13 9:46 am  · 
 · 
e.m.g.

So for those who might be in the same position...I just got off the phone with Clemson and it turns out I was accepted to their MArch + Health program, however for some reason I never received an email. I guess decisions were March 1st too....did anyone else have this problem? I'm so glad I called!

Also, what are the realisitic chances at this point of being accepted to the GSD?..It's one of two I'm still waiting on still and I have so many other offers that I'm really kind of over waiting for them....

Mar 12, 13 9:50 am  · 
 · 
xdfwx

@jacobcohen

Really insane to ask for that much....

Also desperate for GSD&MIT, which seems hopeless...

Mar 12, 13 9:55 am  · 
 · 
agoodwinbrown

Found out I am wait listed at UVA (Path B). Anyone have an experience with the admit process and if the wait list is worth waiting around for? I saw some earlier comments about Cornell and  the difficulty to get off the wait list. I'm going to call and inquire but I'm wondering if anyone around here has any personal experience. Thanks!

Mar 12, 13 9:57 am  · 
 · 

@ emg        Im going to the open house for Berkeley, are you going too?

Im pretty torn between oregon and berkeley...I think the only way I can decide is to go check them out.

Mar 12, 13 11:40 am  · 
 · 
rrnkenshin

@Philip Panzarella

Could you please share why you are "torn" between these two schools. UC Berkeley sounds like a no brainer to me...

Mar 12, 13 11:49 am  · 
 · 
helenakeys

@xdfwx

i was just saying i will eventually have to fill out the same financial forms.

Im most likely going to Yale, but I want to hear back from all schools first.

this weekend is crunch time on financials and decisions... that is.. if we hear all results

Mar 12, 13 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
K Mathers

I guess I am a little late to the party, and a little less ambitious with my Ivy applications, but I figure some people reading this might be just like me and curious about these schools.

In: UMinn (received email march 6th)

Waitlist: Cornell (as of this morning)

Still waiting on: UBC, Dal BEDS, UofT 

Oh and I am a Canadian applying for 3 years masters and the BEDS.

Mar 12, 13 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
mtt9999

$244,000 is completely ridiculous. Nobody has that cash. You would have to get loans in advance for all three years, get the money in your account, and then send that info to them?? That is not even possible to get a student loan for that amount, because you could just drop out and run with 1/4 million dollars!! Impossible.

On the other hand, that is probably too much to pay for school anyway, even if it is 3.5 years. That is serious debt that will be hard to pay off. I would try to find GSD, YSOA, or another school that is slightly less expensive, and offers more financial aid apparently!

@leif. Congrats on $40,000. That is incredible. I called about the Teir 2 grant, they said that it depends on many factors if you can get it, not just your parents info. I think it is because I have been a practicing architect for 6 years, so they expect me to have saved money or something... Either way they are still giving me $17,000 per year, and I would like to do the split. Should end up costing a little less that $100,000 with living expenses for 2 years. Not bad. I will take that. If I don't do the split, then it would be probably only about $85,000, but why would I not do the split to basically get an extra semester (for only $1,000) to work on my thesis...

Note: McGill would be about $55,000 for 1 year. (McGill has no money to give) So the price is the same per year, just different amounts of debt because of the longevity of the program.

Mar 12, 13 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
lrenechln

@mtt9999 Will you be attending the Openhouse? Since I attended the one in November I may just go to the reception in NY while I'm there for GSAPP's Openhouse. I didn't get to visit Columbia last Fall due to Sandy and would like to hear from students about the CCCP Program even though they offered me no money. So right now it looks likely I will be studying with you this Fall.

Mar 12, 13 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
Ericryanbarr

Who else is still waiting for the GSD's decision letter? I haven't noticed any rejections or waitlists yet. Would it be unwise to call?

Mar 12, 13 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
j.maher

^ I'm still waiting to hear from GSD. (Next to gsapp, cornell, and berkeley) 

In Cornell's case they already sent out a bunch of acceptances, rejections, and waitlists. In fact they started sending out another round of acceptances today, so its still a mystery what I'll get.

As for GSD, I believe its a rejection cause they havent send out those yet, and they already sent a lot of admits. 

Mar 12, 13 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
mtt9999

@lrenechln

Yes, I am going to open house, but not the event in New York. Too bad I guess. What program are you going to be studying, I forgot, MDesS? Which concentration? Where are you coming from again?

Mar 12, 13 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
lopes0421

Looks like Princeton is calling applicants according to gradcafe.

Mar 12, 13 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
e.m.g.

@Bazookatooth

I'm still waiting on GSD...but again expecting it to be a no considering a lot of people have heard already. Excited for everyone that did get an admit, and at the same time disappointed in the GSD for stringing this along for too long.. at least Yale had the decency to do it all at once. Time to move on and be excited for all of the other offers!

Mar 12, 13 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
clack

Does anyone know if Berkeley has finished notifying people of acceptances?

Mar 12, 13 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
jesusmaldonado

@leif_estrada, your portfolio is excellent, and you deserve that money. Seriously inspirational. Rock on!

Mar 12, 13 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

i was waitlisted, but is cornell requiring every accepted applicant to show proof of their ability to pay for the program? 

Mar 12, 13 1:58 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: