Archinect
anchor

2013 M.Arch Applicants, Commiserate Here!

Cizz

@ktwestf
How did u hear about uw Seattle

Mar 10, 13 9:34 pm  · 
 · 
jacobcohen

Question for any international students on here. I was accepted to Cornell and would like to accept if I don't get into the GSD. The Cornell acceptance letter (and I assume its the same with most schools) asks for proof of finding to get the F1 visa. I am not certain how to prove enough money to pay for the full 3.5 years of tuition and living expenses. Cornell estimates this at 244K. I plan on takin loans and have some family support but don't know anyone who has a checking account (as it says real estate and stocks are not valid) with that much cash. An I the only one who find this very strange an confusing. I plan on calling Cornell tomorrow but any advice about the FRF (financial responsibility form) to get an F1 would be very helpfull!!

Thanks!

Mar 10, 13 10:02 pm  · 
 · 
bfffffffffff

@Cizz

I worked as a secretary at a firm on the east coast that had a lot of Miller/Hull, Olson Kundig, and Cutler Anderson books laying around. Hopefully I can get a chance to visit the campus and find out a bit more about how the school has held up over the years.

Do you have any thoughts on the program?

Mar 10, 13 10:31 pm  · 
 · 

Just got an email from UW Seattle...anyone else apply there?

Mar 10, 13 10:39 pm  · 
 · 
sensation

random question: do you guys think that it is easier to be accepted to an ivy league graduate program, rather than an undergraduate?

Mar 10, 13 10:50 pm  · 
 · 
ziazia

@Phillip

Me too. Just got an email from UW saying I am admitted. Funny time to get these at sunday night right? 

Mar 10, 13 11:07 pm  · 
 · 
Tanuja

@Phillip I applied to uw Seattle. No email yet

Mar 10, 13 11:30 pm  · 
 · 

Yah I feel bad for whoever is at the office at 6 on a sunday hah

Mar 10, 13 11:36 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

JacobCohen: " Cornell estimates this at 244K." Yiikes!! is that what it will cost to study at Cornell..  If that's the price to attend other schools, all I'll say is "heck no to grad school"  I can buy a house for myself with that much money xDD

Mar 11, 13 12:03 am  · 
 · 
jacobcohen

@accesskb

That's the estimate for the full 3.5 years with living expenses included.  Its proof to get the Visa since I'm coming from Canada.  Just not sure how to prove that by April 30th!  With  loans and help from family I can try and figure it out but cannot prove that in one shot in the next month! Its crazy, making me down after being so excited and shocked getting in.

Mar 11, 13 12:20 am  · 
 · 
korrego

@observant

I know right? Another option is that I might be a weirdo and not 'cool' enough for them. Haha, but I try to look at the situation with a funny smirk thinking to myself 'oh geez...and I thought UCLA was my backup plan...'  Good thing that I was wrong and miraculously got to my top choice (GSD). 

On the other hand Observant, I know MANY Californians that are applying there and have no answer from UCLA or any Cal schools yet. Hopefully people really wanting to go there get their chance!  

Mar 11, 13 1:35 am  · 
 · 
jesusmaldonado

this whole process is very weird, and there are no rules like medical or law school.

Mar 11, 13 3:19 am  · 
 · 
bfffffffffff

Sorry CIzz, I misinterpreted your question.

I found out via email.

Mar 11, 13 7:12 am  · 
 · 
clack

So far:

In:  University of Washington, U Penn, U Minnesota

Out:  Yale

Does anyone know when to expect financial aid info from these school?  

Opinions on pros/cons of each?  

Mar 11, 13 10:54 am  · 
 · 
observant

this whole process is very weird, and there are no rules like medical or law school.

You got it, Jesus.  Many of my family members think architecture is flaky.  So do most of my non-architect friends.  So do many architects. 

Three conversations on the phone with Sci-Arc, Berkeley, and UWash told me that, when I went through this back in the day, they were incredibly flaky.  The first two were SO flaky I didn't apply.

You do it because the work is INTERESTING ... much more interesting than many other jobs.  Most of the other aspects of the field are less than optimal.  One really has to weigh why they do it.  For me, it's about not falling asleep.

Mar 11, 13 11:06 am  · 
 · 
nitendo2046

gradcafe says a Chinese student has already received a Princeton MArch 2 admission with full fellowship via Post Service !!!  I`m gonna have a heartattack !!!

Mar 11, 13 11:50 am  · 
 · 
helenakeys

based on previous years Princeton should be out already, prob today.

so is MIT... should be due today

Mar 11, 13 11:58 am  · 
 · 
NNelson

Princeton accepts one Chinese student in MArch II every year, so if you're not Chinese, don't worry.

Mar 11, 13 11:58 am  · 
 · 
fdnshvrn

I didnt know Princeton has March l and ll, or does it ?

Mar 11, 13 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
realestate101

To EVERYONE: 

I called up GSD and asked them about decisions. The lady said we will hear by this Friday. There is no way they already decided on every applicant by last Monday and have just been sitting around doing nothing. I would assume they are still making decisions. 

Mar 11, 13 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
j.maher

still haven't heard from gsd / cornell / gsapp trio. am i the only one?

Mar 11, 13 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
rachelmjkang

@j.maher 

I still haven't heard back from GSD either... I know last time I talked to the student service officer that all the decisions should be out by this Thur, Friday like what @realestate101 said... Hang in there!!! 

Mar 11, 13 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
helenakeys

BY this friday?! im gonna go insane!!

Mar 11, 13 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
ziazia

@everyone

English is not my first language... when you say that decisions should be out BY friday. It means they will come out on friday or any time until then? Thanks... I know this is a dumb question. 

Mar 11, 13 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
realestate101

She mean't Friday the latest- it could come out today, tomorrow, tuesday, wednesday thurs, or friday. 

Mar 11, 13 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
helenakeys

thats just a huge margin for our poor, speculative minds...

Mar 11, 13 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
j.maher

Great. Life put on hold for one more week. These applications just wasted my youth

Mar 11, 13 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
realestate101

haha same here. Never been so unproductive in my life than these last 3 weeks. 

Mar 11, 13 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
ziazia

oh man... another long long week coming. Im starting to feel bad for the F5 key of my computer... 

Mar 11, 13 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
blyang

If those who already heard back from GSD have not yet accepted the offer, does that mean there will be more of a chance that more acceptances will be sent out?

Mar 11, 13 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
jesusmaldonado

I got this email from GSD

"Thank you for your interest in the Harvard GSD.

All decisions will be sent via email by Friday.

Thank you, "

Mar 11, 13 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
korrego

Any news from Princeton or Sci Arc? Just curiosity ...

Mar 11, 13 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
j.maher

Potential day for Sci-Arc seems like March 22nd (according to last year's results on grad cafe).. which is next friday. 

Mar 11, 13 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
Tanuja

Where is Pratt?? Ahh I'm going crazy...

Mar 11, 13 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
j.maher

did anyone see the March I person who got rejected by GSD via phone on March 7th? Is that a troll? Why would they call to reject people instead of emailing - yet they still keep us waiting

Mar 11, 13 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
Just got a call from Alejandro at Princeton :)
Mar 11, 13 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
cocoa

just received email from uc denver that I've been accepted to the MArch -program!! I only applied to Berkeley and UC Denver and since I haven't heard from UCB this was my first acceptance! What a relief, I was starting to get worried!!

Congrats to all ! Ppl here are apparently going to be studying in some great schools next year..

Mar 11, 13 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
lopes0421

Michigan TCAUP vs UVA:

Anyone have any thoughts on these two schools?

Which school would you rather attend if you had the choice? Etc.

Mar 11, 13 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
gg_r

Who is missing to hear from Cornell?

Mar 11, 13 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
eternalized

@red_g

I am. I called in today. They said they are still processing the decisions and should be all out mid-week. Don't know where I am standing with them...

Mar 11, 13 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
gg_r

@eternalized

Ugh, more waiting, slow and painful. Thank you for the info though!

Mar 11, 13 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
gg_r

Anyone know about Pratt?

Mar 11, 13 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
batman

$#^$!@#&!*(&#!*(

I didn't get any scholarship funding for this year for GSAPP.

this sucks....

i'm still bamboozled how the rest of you guys (M.ARCH I) got some scholarship money....

Mar 11, 13 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
ziazia
@batman
Are you International ?
Mar 11, 13 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
batman

@juventus7

nope. I'm from CA.

Do you need a high GPA or something to be considered for scholarships/fellowships?

I would think not since I got 18K from USC unless they have different criteria's to judge?

are there other financial resources other than taking loans to apply for?

Mar 11, 13 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
haptic-urbanism

Anyone else get a call from Princeton today?

Mar 11, 13 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
fdnshvrn

@haptic

No !

Mar 11, 13 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
Tanuja

@red_g No news from Pratt yet...

Mar 11, 13 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
gg_r

So what the hell with UVA? Some people got into Ivy Leagues but not UVA?

I'm guessing everyone applies for public schools, huh.

Mar 11, 13 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
virgil mccracken

@haptic

Yes. MArch I?

Mar 11, 13 5:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: