Archinect
anchor

2008 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

smithwillb

Cdee - those are promising words.

i've been doing the same study regime....i take as long as i please to get through a section - so that i can thoroughly work through each question...

also, visit this webpage - it's an incredible resource for Vocab development. I printed the scrambled list, and i study a section every day on the subway....it has really improved my verbal scores on practice exams.

http://www.postech.ac.kr/~gla/gre/

From hearing other people yawn about how un-important the GRE is, it's been my understanding that the GRE can only hurt you (meaning for example, noone cares if you get a 1600...but they might care if you get below 1000)

Jun 26, 07 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
Cdee

ha....i was a complete dunce in the vocab section....i just gave up after a while.

also, even though people say that the test scores may not matter, i figured thtat if im paying 130 bucks and missing a day of work, i might as well try.

your understanding is pretty accurate, and i think holds true for students, particularly on the math (yes, i know it's "bs" math) and for those applying without a B.Arch. its a small part of the package, but a part of the package nonetheless.

Jun 26, 07 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
Sean!

i bought a Kaplan book that takes the math back to its basics

http://www.amazon.com/Kaplan-GMAT-Exams-Workbook-Third/dp/0743233549

it's very helpful for those of us who haven’t multiplied mixed fractions since high school!

Jun 26, 07 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
Sean!

by the way, i should probably spend more time studying but i've been spending most of my time working on my Portfolio and i still have a ton to do

Jun 26, 07 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
alexandraNY

thanks guys for all the tips and links to stuff. They look very helpful...def. going to use them!

Jun 26, 07 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
laurilan

i took the gres last year (thankfully) - so i don't have to retake them. but what i can suggest is definitely studying a lot of vocab and practicing getting through sections under the time limit. i found that to be really difficult.

also, i wouldn't buy any books. i'd go to the library! i got the most up to date books there, plus lots of older copies for practice tests. it was really helpful and i didn't have to spend any money (i figured if i'm already throwing that much money down for a test...). they also had cds included with them that had practice tests on them.

sometimes they didn't have the newest ones there, but i was able to request the newest ones when they were returned.

good luck!!

Jun 27, 07 8:00 am  · 
 · 
KEG

I would get the princeton gre book. If you can, buy it....I wrote a ton of notes in mine. If you do use a used copy, make sure it's from after they changed the test +added the writing portion (2006 or 2007?)

Focus on the portfolio!

Jun 27, 07 11:37 am  · 
 · 
ripomatic

ooooof. so I guess I should start on my portfolio...?

I don't have any arch background so I was just thinking about putting together some of my best photography, nicely bound, perhaps some sets of pics that make sense together.

A warning in regards to GREs.... DO NOT WASTE MONEY ON A COURSE. I paid for a Princeton Review course before I realized that the GREs are only marginally important, AND for $1100 I didn't learn a single thing that wasn't already in their books. Seriously, our insctructor taught directly out of the books. He added NOTHING. Biggest waste of money.

to add insult to injury, my diagnostic score was the same as my actual GRE score.

Jun 29, 07 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
bravobb

hey everyone, I am applying 2008 fall, too.
how u guys think about the AW part of GRE? Is it important? I have got a really low score -- 3.5 and I worry a lot about it.

Jul 13, 07 1:52 am  · 
 · 
mad+dash

I've been trying to avoid this thread because I know its only five months and counting till December 15. Man, oh man. Here we go.

Good luck everyone.

Jul 13, 07 9:11 am  · 
 · 
boxy

bravo- don't worry about your gre score too much. from what i hear it's not worth your time taking it over no matter what score you received.

i have a q...if my applications are mostly due by december 15th, when is a good date to start asking for recommendations? how much time should i give them?

Jul 13, 07 9:51 am  · 
 · 
mad+dash

3-4 months in advance, especially if you know that they'll be fielding a lot of requests for letters of rec.

Jul 13, 07 9:55 am  · 
 · 
smithwillb

To those of you worried about your GRE scores:

i'm in the columbia summer arch. program right now and our critic (who actually read through all of columbia arch apps) said that he hates the GRE and he thinks it's a terrible waste of time and money. He said it's no means a measure of intelligence. Moreover, he said Columbia has a policy that they will most likely not review your application if you score below 430 on the verbal. So, verbal is really the only score they look at.

Furthermore, he said if you have an outstanding GRE score, you may (if you're lucky) get a .5 percent extra point on your application score. Otherwise, it really doesn't matter. He said he would rather you demonstrate your intelligence through your writing, thought process, etc.

He also said Harvard is rumored to have a cut off at 500 for both.

so, the moral here is don't freak out about it.

Now, get to work!

Jul 13, 07 10:05 am  · 
 · 
alexandraNY

i am asking my recommnenders this month....(and most of my app's are due in dec./jan)..
if that helps you.
Personally i think the more notice the better.

Jul 13, 07 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
alexandraNY

So..I know people from the 2007 M.arch thread posted links to view their portfolios...which was great.
BUT...now i am starting to actually do my portfolio..and i wanted to see other poeple's again to refresh my memory and give me some good ideas and stuff.
the links on the 2007 m.arch thread don't work anymore...since they are old, etc.
Can some people who ahve their portfolios together ...post a link for us to view ????
PLEASEEE!!!!
thank you!!!!!

Jul 20, 07 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

*bump*

hey i just picked up the Kaplan GRE exam book. yay or nay?

Jul 25, 07 12:50 am  · 
 · 
w3

i used the kaplan - they do a good job of outlining strategy. if i could go back and study again (which i have no desire to) i'd take the time to really focus on the strategies for the different sections it breaks down for you. I spent more time studying specifics like memorizing words, etc.. . and in the end I think it really does just come down to being able to eliminate bad choices. It's kind of ridiculous that there is a strategy to taking a test that is supposed to cover general knowledge, etc.. , but that's how it is. use the kaplan strategies to eliminate bad choices, increase your odds of choosing the right answer when you're not totally sure and you'll do well.

Jul 25, 07 10:28 am  · 
 · 
boxy

cool, thx w3

Jul 25, 07 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

i was browsing the princeton exam book the other day at the store and it also focuses on strategies...it shows how to give the proper answer, not what you think is the proper answer...

their strategy for the fill-in-the blanks seem obvious: figure out the thought of the sentences, choose words from your vocab to complete the thought...then select a synonym from the choices offered.

as for the reading comprehension, the book advises you not to get stuck with every definition of each word within the paragraphs but understand the broad idea...the main strategy is to never let things you know, outside of what's mentioned in the paragraphs, to decide the proper answers.

Jul 25, 07 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
lmnop15

Yeah - I have the princeton review book too. It's pretty helpful actually interms of letting you in on what the GRE is going to throw at you. Especially since I haven't seen some of the math stuff since oh 8th grade. The practice tests are good too - i feel a bit more secure knowing I have a few of those under my belt going into the test. If I'm going to spend $130 bucks on taking it I might as well do the best I can on it.

Jul 25, 07 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
xacto

dont forget the free resources. ets has a 70 page pdf with all the math it will be covering on its website for free.

Jul 25, 07 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

im completely in the same boat lmnop15. i just breeze by the verbal sections of my practice tests, but then i'll have trouble with simple algebra. ill probably get a 700V and 300Q... hey, i'll take 1000 if i don't have to study for this effing test anymore.

Jul 25, 07 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

I haven't taken it yet. I'll get started when I finish summer school.

Jul 25, 07 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
karchitect

I got a low 1100 combined score on the GRE last year and I got into two top schools.

I might give some portfolio advice here..

I haven't commented on this before, but some of the portfolios posted on archinect are seriously lacking in any sort of cohesiveness. Keep it simple and make sure your portflio tells a story (your story) with one page leading to the next. I included photography with an essay, some simple sketches, some projects I did on illustrator, and some sculpture. I think it worked for me because of the look of the portfolio as a whole, and not the individual projects inside.
Some important things to keep in mind:

COLOR -- choose two or three colors that go well together and use them throughout the portflio. color
LENGTH -- keep it short - don't go over 20 pages or you might piss someone off in the admissions office
QUALITY -- Print on an inkjet using the best quality paper you can find. You'll spend more money on this, but it's well worth it. This is one way of showing how detailed a person you are

And the best advice might be to not look at anyone else's portfolio - just set a high standard for yourself and have fun with it! Not looking like someone else is what will work in your favor.

Jul 25, 07 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
xacto

karchitect, would you mind posting yours?

Jul 25, 07 8:15 pm  · 
 · 
alexandraNY

As for GRE study buides..i have al ot fo them. I like the Barron's one.... mor than Kaplan.
Bowever, i don't have the princetone one... so that i have heard is good.
Thanks karchinect for the portfolio advice... and knwo ing that 1100 can get you places....

Jul 27, 07 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
squaresquared

I got a fairly low, *ahem*, score on the GRE, but still got accepted to Columbia in 2006. My studying consisted of thumbing through a guide for a few hours the day before I took the test. Embarrasing, yes, but I spent more time working on my portfolio and that more than was worth it.

Jul 27, 07 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
lmnop15

What is "fairly low"

Jul 27, 07 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
alexandraNY

if u don't mind sharing... i would feel alot better knwoing... (i do really bad on tests...my practice GRE scroe.. are not good at all...)
BUt... i have faith.. that enough studyign will do somehting...
anwyhooo
also curious of
"What is "fairly low"

Jul 27, 07 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

hey alexandra, i have a feeling we're both going to be regular posters on this thread. where are you on the whole application process? do you have any schools in mind? are you a first time applicant?

Jul 27, 07 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
Travis Woodward

hey everyone.

I applied lasts year and got rejected from all of my schools (I applied to MArch I and MLA I programs). 1400 GRE, terrible GPA, non-arch realted degree from a nobrand name liberal art college.

At places like Columbia and harvard, I really think that GPA matters, and that is a major factor why I didn't get in. Everything else in my application seemed solid to me. I had a pretty good portfolio for a non-art non-architecture degree for undergrad.

Anyway, looking at this thread makes me queasy, and I don't know if I can stomach another round of applications. I do have my portfolio and all my other application materials still around, but I just don't know if it would be worthwhile to apply again, feeling pretty cynical.

How are you reapplicants able to brush yourself off and try again? I'm just not feeling up to it....

Jul 29, 07 10:35 am  · 
 · 
KEG

maybe others w/ experience want to chime in, but I really don't think gpa matters that much. I honestly think you can get into an Ivy w/ [pretty much] any GPA/GRE score as long as your portfolio, essays, and recommendations are incredible.

IMHO- here is the order of importance:

PORTFOLIO
Statement of Intent (or whatever each school calls it)
Letters of Recommendation
GPA
GRE

Unless a school has a specific minimum GPA, there is an opportunity for your portfolio to overshadow any negatives. Even if the school has a minimum posted on their site, it is worth a call to the dean or academic counselor to ask if you should try and apply anyway. I know people w/ crap gpa's + gre's that got into top schools- it's not uncommon.

btw, people with unrelated undergrad degrees seem to think they have less of a chance. I actually think its the opposite. Grad schools want diversity. They get 1000's of applications every year from students with non-pro arch degrees (and the like) and so someone with a degree in Underwater basket weaving or nuclear physics is going to stand out. They understand your portfolio is not going to be "architecturally heavy" and most of their websites give examples of what to include.

They want a story- what makes you interesting/ impressive? what new perspective will you bring to the program? What in your life have you overcome that has prepared you for this step? What makes you better than the other applicants?

Jul 29, 07 2:19 pm  · 
 · 

mollify - I got that word wrong on the GREs. My advice: go look it up.

Jul 29, 07 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
alexandraNY

mr. bojangles :

hey! how are you hangin in there? and yes... i think we will see alot of eachother on this site.
I will be using you poeple to keep myself sane.

I am a first tiem applicant, but have read all of the 2007 M.arch thread.
I have a 5 yr. b.arch from a so-so. school.
I will be going for an M.arch II, M. urban design or somehting related to that.

I have picked out schools, and pretty much picked what program for each o want ot apply to...though that might change when i visit and talk to the advisors.

As for the my place in the process.... that's pretty much as far as i have gotten.
Oh...and i have asked 2 of my recommenders already.
Mainly just studying for the GRE... after that is out of the way...then...putting it into full gear.. for the rest of the stuff.

How about you? chosen schools??? anythign else???

Jul 30, 07 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
conormac

"Grad schools want diversity."

does a total whitebread A.D.D. finance major from one of the top party schools in the country count as diverse............ I'm sure there aren't that many of us applying!!

wouldn't it be lovely if the GRE actually did matter, and we could all know where to apply, like in Highschool... sigh. (sarcastic undertone)

Jul 31, 07 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
lmnop15

OH yes, those days when test scores determined where you could even begin to think about applying to. Under 30 on the ACT? State School for you!

Jul 31, 07 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
lmnop15

So what kind of schools are you applying to with your whitebread A.D.D. finance major?

Jul 31, 07 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

tick tock...

Aug 11, 07 3:19 am  · 
 · 
conormac

sheesh I dunno... I really want to go to a school where they are pushing the limits, I'm not leaving a practical lifestyle for a practical job designing well-functioning hospitals & schools!

I love every single thing about the GSD

I think Yale also does a lot of interesting things

Columbia and U Penn are very interesting, more focused & less diverse

I've heard UC Berkley has a good program....

I know they are all uber-competitve but I'd rather wait & improve than just jump in. There are a lot of terrific schools to get a degree at, i think these are the most exciting right now. Plus, I don't want to be more than 6 hours from home, unless I'm in Cali...

It's almost time to think about open houses...

Aug 13, 07 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
conormac

I'll post links & times later I that's too much to do at work !

Aug 13, 07 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
lmnop15

So, I'm opening up a debate here - Merits of taking a year off to intern, versus applying for possible 08 admission.
My reasoning is this - I'm going to finish my undergrad, with an architecture degree in spring, but i've never worked in a firm. I have a strong idea of what I want in a school and where I want to live in the coming years, but I'm still concerned that lack of work experience is going to hurt me in the app. process. Any insight, experience?

Aug 16, 07 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
laurilan

i'd say take the year (or two or three) off. i've changed so much since first graduating. i've really figured out more about myself from being out in the real world for a little bit. i really know that i want to go back now and what i am really interested in studying and what i'd like to be doing after. i think if i went straight through, i would have been so burnt out by the end of grad school, i wouldn't have gotten nearly as much out of it.

granted, it doesn't have to be through an architecture firm specifically, but i'd recommend at least interning somewhere to know you like the "real world architecture" vs. what they teach you in school. there's a huge difference. i know a lot that gave up arch. once getting out into the field.

i wouldn't say, as far as application process goes, that interning vs. not interning would harm or help you. i know people who got in both right out of undergrad and a couple of years later.

this is all just imho.

Aug 16, 07 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
futurist

Yes...I, too, am making the leap and getting my materials together to meet the 2008 January/February deadline for the M.Arch 3+ program (which means I will have to move out of state during the summer if I get into the program I want).

My undergrad is in City Planning, so it's somewhat related, and I have some projects I could highlight...but planning is more government/theory based so I have to build my portfolio more.

I'm not looking for big name schools. Too many politics and the profs care more about themselves than the students, in my experience. I'm looking for a solid program where I can really learn to be the real deal.

I spent some time in Asia, and my Mandarin is pretty good, so maybe I can use that to my advantage some how. I also took about 7 CDs full of photographs of the architecture during my time there..maybe I can do something with that...

Just at the stage of making lists of what to include, who to contact for refs, etc.

Aug 19, 07 4:05 am  · 
 · 
smithwillb

futurist, what "solid programs" are you applying to? just curious...

Aug 20, 07 11:42 am  · 
 · 
conormac

Time off is def. a good thing... it takes so long to become an architect anyway, what's annother year??

Aug 20, 07 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
conormac

finally some open houses, just to get y'all thinking ahead...

GSD nov 9

YSoA/Yale nov 1

pratt Saturday, Oct 27th, 11am-1pm
Saturday, Dec 8th, 11am-1pm

Boston Architectural College
* September 10, 2007
o 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm
* October 1, 2007
* November 5, 2007
* December 3, 2007

most schools don't have'em up yet. I'm only looking at the NE corridor... did I miss any??

Aug 26, 07 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
Tony Snow

Good idea Conor. UVa is Nov 5, you can register here

Aug 26, 07 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
cityboy9

ya. let's get a red dot.

Aug 29, 07 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
alexandraNY

i have only found out about one open house for the schools i am applying to, that is ....

UCLA: Monday October 29, 07'

I'll keep posting them as i find out.
(but they will be all west coast schools)

Aug 29, 07 2:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: