Archinect
anchor

2008 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

wittyusername

Horray for UCLA! Finally made my decision, gonna be a Bruin in the fall. Ill see you there ff33.

And anyone on the waitlist for Sciarc or UW(seattle), theres one more spot available for you! Good luck!

Apr 22, 08 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
Underground

MArch 1 UCLA Bruin....and i couldn't be any happier.

Apr 22, 08 6:43 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

You ff will be the first one in try the future Long Island Room.

Apr 22, 08 10:19 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

Long Island ...Room? My liver is already shaking.

Apr 23, 08 12:15 am  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

I have, actually, a brand new one designed in Rhino....

Apr 23, 08 1:27 am  · 
 · 
pigeon

i am still waiting to hear about the gsd waitlist. is anyone on it? has anyone heard anything from them? please help to keep me sane

Apr 23, 08 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
stonerock

I'm on it for MLA, no news either.

Apr 23, 08 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
Brendan

anyone have a schedule for the graduate studio reviews at VTech? i guess its the week of may 4th, but im having trouble getting a call/e-mail back from a+d. i asked if i could have an extra week to make a decision, and if someone would give me the review schedule. no response!

Apr 24, 08 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
kramer2nd

is anyone going to Wash U next year?

Apr 24, 08 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
la_la

My choices will be the tortured death of my inner monologue... I've decided to defer a year [yay SCI-arc waitlisters - if there are any left? or Oregon]

I believe that SCI-arc is a fabulous school and if you've got it go there - thanks to all who posted info from the open house [if I had an extra 200K sitting around I would go in a heartbeat] I think Oregon will be more kick ass in 2 years... I just wish the Portland program spent their $ on the prof.'s instead of their building...

I'm too fearful of the $$$ - it's >90$/day @ SCI-arc, I'm an instate state school kind of girl. I'm not trying to be negative, I'm scared of debt that big on my lifestyle - and future lifestyles.

I'm moving to L.A. with FF33... anyone hiring?

Good luck to everyone! and I'll see 2009 commiserate'ors around.

Apr 24, 08 9:31 pm  · 
 · 
moratto

You can take my job when I leave to go to SCI-Arc.

Apr 25, 08 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
kevinn

mrben,
i actually just got back from visiting, and was able to check out a grad pre-review and a final review by pure luck.
the way it's set up is that the students pick a date on some academic calendar and reviews occur throughout the weeks. i wasn't able to check the calendar, but from talking with the students, i can tell you there will be one this coming fri...i think. anyway, chances are you'll be able to catch a pre-review at the least. your best bet would be to contact a thesis student, maybe ask the secretary to ask one, or just call.

btw, the thesis student bldg is diff from the other ones, so ask around. everyone's really friendly and the thesis students were extremely helpful in terms of advice/opinions on the program.

Apr 26, 08 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
Brendan

word, thanks!

Apr 26, 08 10:17 pm  · 
 · 
Tartar Treats

sayyes, you really are going to degrade steven holl down to praising french fries as an architectural masterpiece? c'mon he's been a tenured professor for eons, and has a strong career with some pretty captivating buildings... granted I heard he only pays interns like 20,000 a year but FRENCH FRIES??? I have a hard time believing you.

Apr 27, 08 4:14 am  · 
 · 
Tartar Treats

ok, I didn't address your point though, that sci-arc backs up their crazy drawings with some type of reasoning? thats great, I think everyones craziness should have logic... good job. Well I'm just being defensive because Columbia here i come! have fun sci-arc'ers, LA is a great place to learn.

Apr 27, 08 4:21 am  · 
 · 
Andrew Teng

Tartar: I'm glad I wasn't the only one irked by that comment. I was there for the Steven Holl review that sayyes mentioned and I thought it was great (although I don't recall the "french fry" model). Btw, I'll see you at GSAPP this fall!

Farewell everyone. I'm done with this thread but feel free to message me, GSAPPers or otherwise.

Apr 28, 08 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
sayyes

sorry about the Steven Holl quip folks, he's a huge talent and seminal figure and I have tons of respect...

They weren't really french fries, they were more like earth worms and I just felt turned off because it felt that what I was seeing was neither experimental or particularly rigorous... and a young lady I left the classroom with and spoke with for a while seemed to have a similar impression. I really wanted to be sad that I couldn't afford to attend Columbia!

Anyway, I'm sure that in my second year at Sci-arc, I'll be wishing for a little variety in the cirriculum and for someone of Holl's caliber to have a studio with... I just though that the students would be challenging him with new skills and concepts... If it can't happen in academia where can it?

Apr 29, 08 1:44 am  · 
 · 
Brendan

settled on toronto. ill see a couple of you there this fall.

Apr 29, 08 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
successin2009

I am so happy to have found this post and to find people who are going through and went through the application process.

I am almost 30 and after 8 years out of school decided to apply to M. Arch I programs. My major was in the social sciences.

Unfortunately, this year I did not get into any of the programs(Applied to 4- rejected from 3, waitlisted on one and later rejected)

I am suspecting based on what everyone's work in a similar situation, that my portfolio is the main reason why I was not accepted. I put in mainly freehand drawings, paintings, photography and interior design courswork, dating from undergraduate work to present. However nothing was noted about the process, just the finished product. Another reason why I think I was not offered admission was because I have not yet taken physics and calculus (I was hoping to take it these classes this summer after being accepted into the program)

Are there many students in the board who are in their 30's? Also how many people went through this process and by experience how long did it take for you to get acceptance into your schools?

Since I am new to this board, please be gentle.

Apr 29, 08 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

you should check this one out.

http://www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=74009_0_42_0_C

This thread is almost dead

Apr 29, 08 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

kevin, you going to VTech?

Apr 30, 08 12:19 am  · 
 · 
kevinn

not sure. everything i saw was really solid when i visited, but i have a job i can go to, and am debating whether to work and maybe reapply another time or just go for it now. what about you?

May 3, 08 11:11 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

i'll be there in August. Email me if you decide to go. I am still searching for a place to live.

May 4, 08 3:30 am  · 
 · 
kevinn
www.vtoch.uusa.vt.edu

it's for off-campus housing. the grad house apparently fills up fast (probably around now), but the transit system makes off-campus distance negligible.

May 4, 08 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

Thanks, I look through it almost every day.

May 4, 08 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

anyone else feel anxious about school? i thought i'd be more excited as summer came around, but now i just feel stuck in something i may or may not want to do for four years. how are you all feeling?

May 5, 08 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
nnoraa

Very anxious. Kind of scared, not going to lie... Definitely ready for something new... I wouldn't worry about feeling "stuck". You're young, you have your whole life ahead of you. And I wouldn't rule it out as a bad thing if all doesn't go as planned..

Where are you headed to this fall?

May 6, 08 12:36 am  · 
 · 
ohmygosh

... uh, anxious to the max on the inside ... but you know, totally chill on the outside.

while i'm pretty certain this is something i don't really want to do for 18months, i am pretty certain this degree is something i want for the rest of my life. i just have to hold my breath long enough to make it through!

i truly think that if you can find at least one part of the experience that is inspirational/motivational/totally freakin' awesome, then making it through will be a-okay.

keep your eye on the prize.

May 6, 08 11:14 am  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

The only thing I'm anxious about is the move from San Diego to Blacksburg. Other than that, I'm very excited about this new venture.

May 6, 08 11:31 am  · 
 · 
lletdownl

Hey everyone,
Sorry to bring this thing up again, but do we have any Fall '08 TU Delft applicants around?

May 23, 08 9:56 am  · 
 · 
Andreas AT

Got an email from Berkeley too now:

"..Your application is currently on hold for further review, and we will have a decision for you by April 3rd"

Very well!:(

Mar 24, 09 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
rexxer

Any portfolio-sharing threads for this admission cycle? Couldn't find one. There's one for 2007 (http://www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=51549_0_42_0_C) but most of the links are broken.

MArch I applicants: what did you guys include in your portfolio? If possible, share it. Thanks.

Mar 30, 09 9:29 am  · 
 · 

bump

Mar 21, 12 10:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: