Archinect
anchor

Brick covered roof

Rusty!

That's divine JJR!

Needs more Zeus.

May 7, 11 1:23 am  · 
 · 

i think you coulda worked for my old office jjr.

funny i kinda thought the wonky drain design was part of the design.  it does have a kinda japanese feel to it actually. that kinda ad-hoc undesigned detail is very common here.

May 7, 11 1:47 am  · 
 · 

I'm going to make a dangerous assumption that maybe someone at MVRDV thought they could get away with running the drain pipes on the interior. Someone at the planning office probably put the kibosh on that idea.

I know it's possible to do such a thing under code (using standard plumbing pipes). I'm not sure, thought, a park's sewerage could handle the peak water flow though.

Off-topic: Using Google Streetview to peep out the town this is in and the surrounding small  towns makes me thoroughly ill and disgusted at the Dutch. Mostly because I am totally jealous. How can a country be so terribly nice, tidy and well-kept?

I went out of my way to find a really dumpy-sounding place-- a town called Sluis which seems to be in the middle of nowhere-- and this is what it looks like.

May 7, 11 4:14 am  · 
 · 

sure they can run them through the interior.  i've done it many times without any problems, or at least not in the 15 years or so since the stuff i worked on was built.

if the architects weren't just being coy assume its just a local fix.  happens all the time.  i've visited buildings that i did after a few years and they were filled with odd decisions like that.  functional but ugly seems to be the default choice for maintenance crews somehow.   used to hate it, now i kinda like it.  perversity (not the hurting kind)= life...more or less.

May 7, 11 10:09 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

I noticed. That's why I'm already working on the renovation proposal. I think it needs more azalea bushes.

jjr - those columns would have to be a custom fypon mold - you really should pick something within their catalog.

May 7, 11 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
French

Hi yall

I was in Dusseldorf for the week end, and I discovered a Ghery building with bricks layered on sloppy façades, and apparently on the roof. Noone has more info on that by any chance?

Jul 25, 11 5:21 am  · 
 · 
DLProf

I have enjoyed reading the form and the many posts and continue to learn. I am not an architect, engineer, builder, but rather just a simple, hands-on home owner. Recently, I have decided to upgrade from a non-vented propane fireplace to a direct vented propane unit. To save a few dollars on the installation, I have removed the mantle, hearth, and the old unit only to find that the brick structure has leaked and rotted the wood structure that was originally built to support the building of the brick outcropping. The 45° angle, brick, roof leaks, horribly. I have studied the concepts of brick and mortar construction enough to remove the cracked or faulty mortar and replacing it, but it still leaks. I cannot install a new  unit with it leaking. My next step is to use a special. Brick and mortar, sealed by Foundation Armor. Any advice from you seasoned veterans would be appreciated. I will attach at least one picture of the outcropping (before I began the work) in hopes that it will provide you with enough information to help me.  Best regards, DLProf

May 10, 23 8:40 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

This forum is meant for design professionals, not homeowners. You could try asking at greenbuildingadvisor dot com; they have an active Q+A section. I'd probably put metal roofing on the slope; I don't know of any masonry sealers that would last long in that application.

May 10, 23 9:07 am  · 
3  · 

Agree with Wood Guy here. While that brick looks nice, for longevity go with a metal coping/roof

May 19, 23 12:35 am  · 
1  · 
DLProf
Thank you Wood Guy.
May 18, 23 7:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: