Archinect
anchor

rendering help in RHINO

RAArch

so i've been creating this model and i've been rendering it as i build it [using flamingo], well now the model has gotten more complicated [im assuming the problem] and i can't view it anything other than wireframe, when i go to render the window pops us, speeds through "voxelizing" then it says 100% screen grid and just sits there with a white screen.

anyone know what's going on?

i've opened other models and they are fine, i've tried scaling the model down, i've tried saving it as, i've tried copying and pasting into a working file...nothing works.

much thanks, got a review tomorrow!

Oct 1, 06 4:48 pm
RAArch

and to add, the file size is 18.9MB

Oct 1, 06 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

18.9MB is not bad at all, especially if you haven't saved small. And if you have, it isn't bad

RENDERING MESH
Is it set too smooth? Type "options" and click mesh. The defaultSmooth&Slower works fine unless you have some serious curved surfaces. If you are in a real bind (like a review tomorrow!) do jagged and faster, but only as a ditch effort.

BAD OBJECTS
This sometimes works. Go to Analyze>Diagnostics>Bad Objects. If it finds any, replace those bad guys.

BAD SURFACES
Try to extract all bad surfaces (polysurfaces only). To do this:
1. Edit >Select objects>Polysurfaces

2. Enter "ExtractBadSurfaces"

3a. If all are valid, that isn't the issue. Try converting some of the more complex surfaces into meshes by select one surface or polysurface and type "mesh". Test the parameters. It doesn't need to be too detailed as most of this can be smoothed out with Render Mesh settings (above).

3b. If they aren't valid, try to either rebuild the bad surface or mesh it the same as 3a above.

Good luck!

Oct 1, 06 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
bigness

try also to explode all the polysurfaces you have in the model. sometimes, for example when you extrude polylines and create polysrf, those elements seem to create problems in rendering and _shadeviewport, even if they don't show up as bad objects. once exploded (and re-united if needs be) they seem to work fine.

Oct 1, 06 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Almost forgot to mention. I once had a hung up rendering due to curves floating out in space - they were imported from AutoCAD. Apparently when any object is way out of the view, it can bog down your computer. In the past I have staged models by view keeping the areas not affecting the rending totally clean.

Oct 1, 06 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
bigness

garpike, do you usually output in flamingo, or do u just use it while developing? i do all my final stuff in max, could never get anything decent from flamingo

Oct 1, 06 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

I have used Flamingo with some nice results, but not without a lot of Photoshop. I now use V-Ray for Rhino. I never got into Max, but sometimes I wish I had. I went pretty much from formZ to Rhino with lots of Maya modeling here and there - I have only rendered in Maya a few times.

Oct 1, 06 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
RAArch

well, exploded everything [after saving a copy ;)], found some weird things, deleted them, left everything exploded and now i can get shaded views, however i go to render and then rhino just comes to a halt. it has said creating rendering meshes for the past 10 min. im stumped

Oct 1, 06 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

If you were able to see your model in shaded views, the rendering meshes shouldn't be giving you too many problems. They are the same meshes. How many lights are you working with? What are your rendering settings?

Oct 1, 06 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
RAArch

here's the kicker....no lights and all the min. render settings...at this point i just want something to work!

Oct 1, 06 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
RAArch

maybe its my materials that i've selected from the library...

Oct 1, 06 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Possibly. Did you use default materials? And bump maps/textured surfaces?

Also, for bounces under render settings, are they set to the default 3? Try reducing the reflection bounces down to 1.

Oct 1, 06 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
RAArch

hmmm, well i took the bounces down as you suggested and then also selected what i wanted and exported it, now it seems to be working again. so strange. it doesn't help that i have a crack copy and therefore can't get the updates. when will 4.0 be here? time to fork over some cash.

thanks for your help!

Oct 1, 06 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Lower reflection bounces may not look as real, but it can really keep the rendering time down. Jyst be careful with transparency bounces. The rule of thumb is if you'd like to see through 3 surfaces, make the bounces 3 and so on. Otherwise you get strange opaque spots in your windows.

Good luck tomorrow. And get some sleep. Ha ha.

Oct 1, 06 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
RAArch

thanks a bunch, appreciate it

Oct 1, 06 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

Hey garpike. How are you enjoying VRay? I bought it and have been playing with it and have been quite pleased. My only question so far is, do you have any tips for REALLY fast renderings just to roughly check the lighting? There aren't as many tutorials for VRay as for MAx for example.

Oct 1, 06 9:38 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Hey Hassel. I haven't seen you in a while. I do. have a few tricks, but I see "really" is all caps, so I hope I can help.

Unfotunately I can't access any of the documents right now (worng computer) but I can find a few online.

Look for Vlado's method. If that link doesn't work, look at http://www.asgvis.com/phpBB2 in the general category.

Also look at the exterior tutorial. The two engines ar different than Vlado's, but it makes sense when you go through it.

Oct 2, 06 12:25 am  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

I haven't been around as much. Blog is lame cause nothing interesting has happened. Not particularly bored, nor excited. My project is nothing special, so there is nothing to talk about. Ha.

Oct 2, 06 12:37 am  · 
 · 
bigness

hey hassel, dont put yourself down!
i had an early beta of rhino , but the resolution output was very limited (no 8000x5000 pixels...:) compared to vray in max. has this been solved? anyway i fouund most of the settings in tutorials that are made in max to work in rhino's vray as well.
garpike, thanks for the resources!

Oct 2, 06 5:58 am  · 
 · 
eddie

i've had this problem with rhino before. 90% of the time it's this very simple fix. place your model centered to or near the origin. if you model is very far from the origin the the numbers that rhino has to calculate are very large, causing more calcuating time, more render time, crashes, etc. hope that helps.

Oct 2, 06 10:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: