Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

tduds

I knew that was going to be the 'Nail' video before I even clicked.

Great bit.

Jun 12, 17 12:30 pm  · 
 · 

I've been going back and forth on paying dues to be an AIA member. I first wanted to look at it without considering the cost of membership. Balance was slightly in favor of joining mainly due to a desire to attend more events and network for future job opportunities.

So then I went looking to find out how much dues were. Prorated dues for the first year didn't look so bad. They were showing what the next year's renewal would be as well and that seemed expensive, but still around what I was expecting. Now I'm seeing that full renewal after the second year is even more and beyond the ballpark figure I had anticipated. I had always just brushed off everyone complaining about the cost of membership, but now I get it.

If my firm covered the cost I would probably do it, but they only offer a flat fee for any professional organization's dues, and it is less than half of an AIA membership annual renewal. I already use that money for another organization, so I'd have to pay for it all myself. Given the things that I saw as benefits to joining, I'm not sure I would value them as much as the dues are asking for. Looking at most of the events I would want to take part in, they are free and open to the public anyway. Those that do have a cost of admission, the potential savings for members vs. the public wouldn't pencil out to warrant membership. At this point I'm not really sure what the incentive is for me to join.

Do any of you who see the value in AIA membership look at it and compare that value against the cost to renew every year, or do you just pay the money and forget about it? What am I missing in my analysis?

Jun 13, 17 7:42 pm  · 
 · 

You kind of get out of it what you put into it. For example, through AIA Chicago I was able to take ARE prep classes (for a small additional fee), was selected to participate in a Leadership/Mentorship program where I was paired with an FAIA, and I currently am co-chair of our design Knowledge Community. I'd say it has opened up some opportunities that weren't previously around. Caveat: my firm does pay for it. I have friends that do have to pay it out of pocket but still see the value in it.

Jun 14, 17 11:23 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

I've been told that you don't have to convert from assoc. aia to full aia.... I didn't try that though and now am not a member at all. Just too expensive and with young children I don't have time to attend more than one or two events a year

Jun 14, 17 12:36 pm  · 
 · 

Josh, that's why I wanted to look at it without considering the cost of dues ... to see what I would be able to put into it and what I might be able to get out of it. I guess the sticker shock just put me into a different mind set where I started thinking of all the other things I could spend $600+ on each year and it didn't seem worth it anymore.

shell, I was never an Assoc. AIA member so that doesn't really work for me.

Jun 14, 17 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

Holy hell, reading about the Grefell Tower Fire this morning wasn't something I was prepared for.  Knowing that those things still happen in developed countries should keep us all on our toes when we're talking to our fire protection consultants, and if you don't have one of those on your larger projects hopefully the owner does.

Jun 14, 17 10:57 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Someone took shortcuts and went for cheap. Everyone involved in AEC is going to be really careful from today onwards with material choice and safety concerns.

Jun 16, 17 2:30 am  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

Then there's this:

Fire safety at London's Grenfell Tower placed under review last year

A report made by the tower's tenants action group declared the landlord's ineptitude and incompetence would only be found out if something disastrous were to happen... 8 months later, here we are...

Jun 14, 17 11:39 am  · 
 · 

It's incredibly sad and just another reminder why we focus so much on HSW/why we have codes. I'm sure codes are different in London but looking at the floor plan of the building why did it only have one stair, why wasn't it sprinklered, etc... It's a tragedy.

Jun 14, 17 11:54 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

It's a social housing estate in a extremely affluent area, the council want nothing to do with the people living within those blocks. London has extremely strict codes when it comes to construction but this went under the radar like many social housing in the city. I have a few friends who work in social housing and will echo the same things, contractors are always trying to profit hugely from these and will cut corners.

Jun 16, 17 2:36 am  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

Not sure about codes in the 70's, regarding stairways, that was a different time.  However, apparently there was a recent renovation, and the sprinkler situation wasn't part of it.  

Jun 14, 17 12:11 pm  · 
 · 

Can you guys take some of these comments over to this thread? I'd like the discussion of this fire to happen on more than just TC. 

Jun 14, 17 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

Seems I got the drop on Archinect_staff, thought it was worth discussion so to TC it went.

Jun 14, 17 2:18 pm  · 
 · 

I just used a Ghostbusters reference in a redline.

Jun 15, 17 11:35 am  · 
 · 

WIN!

Jun 15, 17 12:08 pm  · 
 · 

I forgot the reference - I marked up crossing leader lines with Don't cross streams!

Jun 15, 17 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

they crossed the streams

Jun 15, 17 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

http://www.mcmansionhell.com/post/161863971306/50-states-of-mcmansion-hell-oakland-county

I was super excited when I first saw this, thinking it was near me.... It's not, but holy shit is it awful!

Jun 16, 17 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I needed a good laugh. Got it.

Jun 18, 17 10:33 am  · 
 · 

I've been following McMansion Hell for awhile and I'm seriously starting to think we will soon have hundreds of thousands of square miles of hulking ugly crap houses that are impossible to sell all across this country.

Jun 18, 17 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

I agree, when the tide
turns it'll be brutal on these things

Jun 18, 17 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
Schoon

This just made my afternoon so much better

Jun 18, 17 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

Architects (or anybody else) who are waiting for some big momentous reckoning are kidding themselves. Everything will sell at some price. And, don't kid yourself, most people would rather have a house like that than the latest hipster Frank Gehry type concoction. Maybe sad, but true.

Jun 20, 17 8:55 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Happy Fathers Day to all the dads out there, I hope you get to go fishing or golfing or whatever you like to do with your kids today. 

Jun 18, 17 10:33 am  · 
 · 

Ran some errands in Sag Harbor this morning with my daughter. The sidewalks were clogged with dads and their daughters.

Jun 18, 17 11:50 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Winner! Went for brunch then walked around town with the little guy. Had a dad date with a friend on friday. You should see the attention two strapping young lads with strollers will generate at the bar.

Jun 19, 17 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I've never taken a kid to a bar before. Can you do that? I've taken them to breweries and beer gardens but not bars. My kids dad took the kid golfing.

Jun 19, 17 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I do all the time. It's great fun.

Jun 19, 17 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

1 year old has an ear infection, went to the dr yesterday, not tons of fun.  At bedtime the 5 year old told my wife that the best part of the day was sitting on my lap in the waiting room. 

Wife was pretty steamed

Jun 19, 17 7:07 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

So... how long until the conspiracy nonsense dies down due to the composite panel fire situation?

Jun 19, 17 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
Non Seq, your line on the conspiracy thread about beating a dead horse with a bag of dead horses cracked me up.
Jun 20, 17 8:33 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Thanks Donna. I try, but it's hard to keep things fresh when facing the same empty sloganistic troother jive.

Jun 20, 17 8:50 am  · 
 · 
tduds

a hammer and a nail would be life threatening for these people and they should never be sold anything more complicated than a popsicle.

Jun 22, 17 2:44 am  · 
 · 
Even a popsicle stick can poke an eye out, Orhan!! God humans are stupid.
Jun 22, 17 7:02 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Tduds, that article is scary stupid.
Jun 22, 17 7:35 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Next they'll be coming after pipe sizes.  ID vs OD is too confusing.  Oh Noes!

Jun 22, 17 8:00 am  · 
 · 

Class action suit started by parasites, er ... lawyers.

http://www.mcgpc.com/

Jun 22, 17 9:21 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Probably all happened because someone's pinterest project didn't work out.  They should have known that pallets are the only suitable wood product for such things. 

Jun 22, 17 9:41 am  · 
 · 

They'll next complain that the 60" class television isn't really 60" and the 1/4 pounder should weigh exactly that much after cooking.

Jun 22, 17 10:32 am  · 
 · 

I thinking about starting a class action against lawyers who file class actions.

Jun 22, 17 10:36 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

but, which lawyer would touch that job? You'd be implicating yourself in a circle of never-ending lawsuits.

Jun 22, 17 10:43 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

A circle of never-ending lawsuits is Lawyer Heaven.

A young lawyer moved to a small town after graduation.  He was the only lawyer in town and was starving.  A second lawyer moved to the same town and they both got rich.

Jun 22, 17 10:46 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

Completely and utterly specious.  If this isn't laughed out of court I'll know that America has turned into the world's biggest outdoor insane asylum.

Anybody who is doing his own carpentry should know what the true dimensions are and what industry jargon is.  Plus, they had an opportunity in the store to verify the size before purchase.  And they had the opportunity to return the posts if they thought they were ripped off.  They could have mitigated their "damage".

If the posts had been a true four inches, these lawyers would sue because the metal fasteners, etc. wouldn't work because the posts are too big.  Gotta love lawyers 'cuz you can't kill them.  Not sure why.

Jun 22, 17 10:44 am  · 
 · 

^ Consider America the biggest outdoor insane asylum then.

Lowe's already lost a similar suit over 2x4 sizes a few years ago filed by district attorneys in several CA counties. Apparently it was a result of California's Division of Measurement Standards visiting stores and measuring lumber. Don't ask me why the division of measurement standards wouldn't know that standard measurements for lumber products are expressed in nominal dimensions.

Jun 22, 17 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

and there's your precedent!, f**** lawyers

Jun 22, 17 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Division of measurement Standards... seriously... someone gets paid to have that job... insane indeed.

Jun 22, 17 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

California has been an insane asylum for a long time. This is just unbelievable. No wonder nobody wants to do anything in America anymore. Everything is a legal minefield. Very sad and frightening, really.

Jun 22, 17 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

crazy coincidence that two people in the same city were mislead into buying 4x4 lumber from difference stores and then happened to wander into the same lawyers office

Jun 22, 17 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

what do you call 1000 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean?

Jun 22, 17 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

A very nice aquarium.

Jun 22, 17 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

a good start! Ba dump... 

Jun 22, 17 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

The lawsuit is nuts, but I am surprised if these retailers don't post something somewhere about the nominal sizes of dimensional lumber.

And I can hardly wait for the sequel, when the aggrieved find that everything over 6x_ is three-quarters of an inch smaller, not just 1/2".  Lordy!

Jun 22, 17 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

And back in the fifties or so, studs were 1-5/8" x 3-5/8".

Law school, anyone?

Jun 22, 17 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

And when they figure out that ten-penny nails are not made of pennies? God help us all!

Jun 22, 17 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Who can I sue for a penny not being worth a penny?

Jun 22, 17 10:46 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Poll: black showers... sexy? Or no? 

Jun 25, 17 9:38 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

No, silly.

Jun 25, 17 10:08 pm  · 
 · 

Depends on the black - is it a nice deep charcoal or is it as black as my cold heart?

Jun 25, 17 11:28 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Josh, I thought your heart was of gold?

Yes, DEEP black. So deep you can lose yourself in it. Besides, black isn't shallow.

Jun 25, 17 11:35 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i'm against the black shower. wouldn't streaks and any calcium deposits show? also, just not the environment i think someone would want to be in first thing in the morning.

Jun 26, 17 7:27 am  · 
 · 

The only time I've seen a black tiled shower was in Vegas...

Jun 26, 17 8:04 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Curt, it isn't a working man's daily shower but a guest shower and meant to be stylish above all else. Not in Vegas, but that is ctually the look we are going for so that helps.

Jun 26, 17 9:11 am  · 
 · 

I'd think that one thing to keep in mind is that you need a lot of directed light. Daylight would be a good start (assuming morning showers in the summer) , but you'd need that extra bit of pop using accent lighting so you can really see the contrasts of color.

Jun 26, 17 9:46 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

It is a very well lit space with a large window and skylight. The black is only in the shower, everything else is light colored and there is a huge mirror and tall ceilings too. I have a light in the shower too. This is fun. Being self-employed is fun until I need to bounce an idea and have no one. Thanks, all.

Jun 26, 17 10:20 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

No reading in the shower. Got it. ;)

Jun 26, 17 10:27 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Any color shower but golden, please.

Jun 27, 17 6:21 pm  · 
 · 

If it isn't golden, it won't be fit for the president.

Jun 27, 17 11:40 pm  · 
 · 

Hey TC! Hope everyone is well.

Maybe this has already been discussed? But can we not post images via linking, only from a file now? I noticed the text editor also seemed to change recentlyish...

Jun 25, 17 11:31 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

just noticed that too... I had to download a rather embarrassing picture in order to attach it to another reply.

Jun 26, 17 8:08 am  · 
 · 

I miss this, too.

Jun 27, 17 8:30 pm  · 
 · 

Miles in case you haven't figured this out yet, with the upgraded editor you can just paste a media link (image/video file etc) directly into the comment box and it will insert. Don't need to use a toolbar tool.

Jul 5, 17 5:57 pm  · 
 · 

Jul 5, 17 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

Just got word that I'm to abandon the locally-sourced structural tile veneer on my current project with the change to a tilt-wall panel system that's been foisted on us by the CMAR...  Anyone having some experience with tiltwall, can you point me to a resource I can use to create something that's more than a pillbox, or a warmed-over Amazon warehouse?  We had something going with the tile, but the client has put the design hat on the head of the pencil-pushers, I'm just drawing now...  Need some guidance, must fight, sneakily...

Jun 27, 17 5:25 pm  · 
 · 

Garden State brick face.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Jun 27, 17 8:32 pm  · 
 · 

My experience with tilt wall - just as an observer; I've never used it on a project - is that it's gorgeous in a Brutalism way when it's first put up, then invariably it gets crappy finishes and sealants and stuff that muck it all up. Is there any way to keep it *raw*?

Jun 27, 17 11:17 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

What Donna said...

Jun 28, 17 1:46 pm  · 
 · 

If it's being value-engineered by the CMAR it is even more of an uphill battle. You'll have to show cost reduction to achieve any aesthetic benefit.

Jun 28, 17 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

It was to be CMU with the tile veneer. I gotta figure out something to strike a balance here. Context; with it being out on the edge of town, and representative of the community in some regard, would make Beton Brut a tough sell... My PM seems more than happy to take marching orders from the CM accountants with no discussion. We're having a meeting with the client next week, I'll know more then...

Jun 28, 17 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

love this reference.

Jun 29, 17 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

longo-the-source.com doesn't seem to work.​

Jun 29, 17 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

the book is better.

Jun 29, 17 6:18 pm  · 
 · 

That's it. No more replys in the subcomment field. Whoever programmed crap that should be chained to a cubicle and forced to debug PHP.

Jun 29, 17 8:59 pm  · 
 · 

Wait, why not? Because they don't show up in mobile devices?

Jun 29, 17 10:58 pm  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

It's been like this since the day the new system was foisted upon us, Miles.  I seem to remember it was mid-day and something was, different...  

Jun 29, 17 10:57 pm  · 
 · 

It's counterintuitive. Press return to end a line and you've posted. Its just bad design, like putting the fuel dump switch next to the cockpit heater switch. Maybe not that bad but frustrating as hell, and repeatedly. 

Not to mention, this is a site focused on the design profession ...

Jun 29, 17 11:26 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Miles, I agree, my work around is to post, and edit the comment. That way I get the functionality of a regular post.

Jun 30, 17 6:40 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Happy 4th of July everyone.

Jul 1, 17 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Thanks Rick.

Jul 4, 17 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

The amount of bad design you see associated with the computer industry is really frustrating for an architect.  Especially when you realize how much more money those people are paid than we are.

Jul 1, 17 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

happy 4th of july!  got a brisket smoking in a rain storm.

brexit 1776.  before it was popular.

Jul 4, 17 9:33 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Cheers.

Jul 4, 17 10:26 am  · 
 · 

David are you getting married? I'm sorry I'm so out of it, but seriously I can't tell if this is some performance piece or real. If you are getting married, congratulations! I do love the opportunity to share in Archinecters' achievements and milestones and happy occasions here on TC.

I saw an actual alligator in the wild two days ago, something I was hoping to never see. Nightmare fuel.

Jul 5, 17 10:12 pm  · 
 · 

OMG this is so adorable! The "us against the world" mentality is an important one, as is being a good driver. You guys seem perfectly suited. Congratulations!

Jul 5, 17 10:57 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Congrats, David!

Jul 6, 17 8:13 pm  · 
 · 
Since my house burned down
I now own a better view
of the rising moon.

-Mizuta Masahide

Lovely. I just heard this for the first time.
Jul 7, 17 10:43 am  · 
 · 

Lol, soooo something I would say. While burning my own house down

Jul 11, 17 3:27 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Our local Habitat for Humanity re-store just sent me this, I've seen a NY version somewhere. It's for sale at $ 975 if you want it.

Jul 7, 17 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Does it come with the loveseat and ottoman?

Jul 7, 17 5:39 pm  · 
 · 

Great independent movie, dark and comic: I Don't Feel At Home In This World Anymore.

Jul 9, 17 10:48 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Donna! do you have your Miata? I just got a British racing green one!

Jul 10, 17 9:12 am  · 
 · 

Wait, the new Miata D-series? The hard top or the convertible?!?! I still have my dad's C-series and I love it so much. But I really, really want a D. But blue, which means I have to spend a bit more for options. Grrrr.

Jul 10, 17 9:38 pm  · 
 · 

Speaking of cars the Trans Am in the movie is really cool.

Jul 10, 17 9:39 pm  · 
 · 

Glas half empty: Since when has "The poem is too long." been an acceptable criticism for *poetry*?!?

Glass half full: Is there any natural phenomenon more beautiful than fireflies at dusk?

Jul 10, 17 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I guess you've never seen the Aurora borealis then?

Jul 10, 17 10:35 pm  · 
 · 

Second this. Pretty damn amazing. I'm going to take a trip in winter next time I go to Norway.

Jul 11, 17 12:40 am  · 
 · 

Yes I have actually seen the borealis, in Alaska, and it was sublime. One of my main memories of incredible beauty. But fireflies are so quotidian, and I think at age 50 I'm appreciating very quiet, subtle natural beauty more than I did before. That said, I'm super excited about the upcoming total eclipse in August!

Jul 11, 17 10:45 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

I'm getting bored of working for commercial building and even more bored of residential. I'm tired of drawing monuments of glam, vanity, wealth and egotistical investments. It's a skyscraper after skyscraper or its a luxury high rise/gentrifying a neighbourhood and relocating the existing locals outside the city. 

I'm just tired and the boredom is hitting me harder everyday I draw another plan.

Jul 11, 17 10:28 am  · 
 · 

But you get to drive to and from your boring job in a Miata, so that helps, yes?

Jul 11, 17 10:46 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

I wish, but i ride the tube.

Jul 11, 17 11:12 am  · 
 · 

Shortage of golf pros or a different bracket?

Jul 11, 17 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

David, you really shouldn't be sleeping with your landscaper.

Jul 11, 17 1:28 pm  · 
 · 

She always has a choice. And the first time you forget that she will certainly remind you.

Jul 11, 17 9:59 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

You're just jealous you have a stale cheeto in the white house instead of a cool cat like this:

Jul 12, 17 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

him and his father:

Jul 12, 17 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

There are still plenty of cool Americans. We just don't run for office. You have to be crazy to that which is why we only have crazies for politicians.

Jul 12, 17 4:59 pm  · 
 · 

Corrupt. But corrupt is crazy.

Jul 12, 17 7:45 pm  · 
 · 

My friend jliffgens is a colleague I've known for over 20 years, and he just joined Archinect and posted this thread at my suggestion. Please go show him some love!

Jul 13, 17 12:03 am  · 
 · 
Flatfish

Seems like he got reasonable answers.

Jul 13, 17 9:55 am  · 
 · 
tduds

How do you stay motivated?

Jul 13, 17 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

That Aberlour is delicious.

Jul 13, 17 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I bought myself a nice bottle for each exam I passed. I failed one.

Jul 13, 17 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

The Aberlour might be the best scotch I've ever had. Definitely Top 5.

Jul 13, 17 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

an acquaintance of mine is lecturing and having several of his compositions performed at Casa da Musica in Porto. Very cool indeed.

Jul 13, 17 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

the only Fred I know has a rabbit.

Jul 16, 17 4:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: