Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

Bloopox

That might be the case now but you know we'll be getting a history lesson any moment on the appearance and evolution of architects' stamps in Oregon in the early 1900s.  

May 25, 16 9:10 pm  · 
 · 

Bloopox,

I've never seen an architect's stamp with a date on it.  If the stamp has a date on it, wouldn't it need to be replaced every year or every renewal period?  When Rick says "look at your current stamp" it sounds like he thinks we replace these every year.  In my experience all my state stamps have been once-in-a-lifetime purchases (so far anyway).   Does anybody replace their stamp on a regular basis? Do any of you have stamps with dates on them?  If so, is it like one of those date stamps with the rolling months and days (in which case how would looking at it tell you if you'd missed your renewal date?)   

I have. Some call it renewal date or expiration date. In some cases, you are allowed to HANDWRITE the renewal date. In this day an age of digital stamps, you update your electronic stamp and then wet signature your signature. In the old fashion days, you replaced the stamp every year. It's only a small expense but the stamp was once a year and expires at the end of the expiration. In the past, your renewal fee covered the cost of the state ISSUING the stamp to you. That was how it was done.

Anyway, you have no excuse for not checking for yourself when you need to renew. THAT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY. 

With digital stamps, you update it when you renew. If it becomes an issue, the states could return to issuing your stamps/seals.

May 25, 16 9:20 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

hey balkins, did you give that architect 3 phone calls to try and resolve the renewal issue first?  or did you just drool at the chance to rat him out as fast as you could?  just want to make sure you hold yourself accountable on that 3 chance rule you made up.  

May 25, 16 9:22 pm  · 
 · 
Aluminate

We're not in the old days.

In the present there are no dates on stamps, except in California.  Digital stamps are supposed to exactly match the state's design, as are rubber stamps and embossers, so we can't just add dates to them when that's not part of the approved design.  You're advocating something that, if it was ever done, hasn't been done in most states during my career (+/- 30 years).  

May 25, 16 9:25 pm  · 
 · 
Not just phone calls, but what about certified mail? Did you notify him in writing? What projects of yours did you ignore while reporting this guy?

Did you tattle on your siblings often as a kid?
May 25, 16 9:25 pm  · 
 · 

Regardless, you have a responsibility to know your expiration or renewal date especially if you had to write it in. Right? Is is a violation if you write the wrong renewal date that you can be fined for. 

In any case, it is the Architect's responsibility to keep up on their renewal. If they don't and they practice architecture with an expired license, that is a violation. You know it. There's no excuse. Especially when a person is over 2 years expired and still practicing with an expired license. There is no reasonable excuse except for being in a coma the entire time. That wasn't the case because people in a coma doesn't write blogs or practice architecture.

There was too many evidence to say he wasn't in a coma.

May 25, 16 9:26 pm  · 
 · 

hey balkins, did you give that architect 3 phone calls to try and resolve the renewal issue first?  or did you just drool at the chance to rat him out as fast as you could?  just want to make sure you hold yourself accountable on that 3 chance rule you made up.  

That 3 chance rules applies to when filing complaints directly effects a property owner. 

Architects are to be held to a higher standard than a property owner. Especially if you had to take an exam or write a written summary of each and every section of the Architectural law and rules and what it means. That's was required of Washington licensed architects at the time. He knew the laws. He knew the rules. 

In that case, he was over 2 YEARS overdue.

May 25, 16 9:31 pm  · 
 · 
Aluminate

Richard again:  There is NO requirement in any state except California to write one's renewal or expiration date on documents that we stamp.

If we were to write a false date - for instance writing that our license expires in 2017 when in fact it expired in 2015, then we could be fined for lying.  But ordinarily we do NOT write any such dates on any documents at all, except those of us who practice in California.

You would know these things if you had an architect stamp.  When we get licensed we get a page of instructions from the state about the proper ordering and use of the stamp.  Since you don't have one, you do not know these things.

May 25, 16 9:32 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

"Architects are to be held to a higher standard than a property owner."  so what standards are CPBD's held to?  based on your behavior here i'd say there are no standards.  

May 25, 16 9:34 pm  · 
 · 

If you drive past CPBD's offices with your window down, they'll throw a phony stamp and wall certificate into your car.

May 25, 16 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

I wouldn't think of replacing all my stamps and embossers every year as small expenses.  The stamps cost about $20 each, and decent quality embossers with long enough arms to reach normal title blocks or the boxes on the various forms are $50 to $100 each, multiplied by two licensed professions, in 3 states, would be $420 to $720 per year just for stamps! That seems very wasteful.  Even if it were allowed. Which apparently it is not.

May 25, 16 9:41 pm  · 
 · 

Not just phone calls, but what about certified mail? Did you notify him in writing? What projects of yours did you ignore while reporting this guy?

Did you tattle on your siblings often as a kid?

Why should I have to notify him in writing when 2 YEARS or more has passed. If you let your license expire and continue to practice architecture without a license and I had found out that you were expired for over 2 years when I found out about it, don't you think at that point there is a reasonable urgency to report you to the licensing board? If I had found out earlier on, I would have reported you. Oh by the way, it was only after an architect on an Architecture forum informing me of an architect having an expired licensed in Washington and still practicing as one, then I reported that person.

If it was only 6 months, I'd probably contact the person. It was over 2 years. OVER an entire license renewal cycle. This wasn't just being mildly overdue.

You know it as well as I do. 

May 25, 16 9:41 pm  · 
 · 

"Architects are to be held to a higher standard than a property owner."  so what standards are CPBD's held to?  based on your behavior here i'd say there are no standards.  

I'm not a CPBD at this time. I haven't yet gone through the certification process. I never said that I have.

May 25, 16 9:44 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

I don't understand the "reasonable urgency" to report this person.  Was he doing something dangerous? If he's such a small firm, were the projects he was working on even things that would require a licensed architect?  

May 25, 16 9:45 pm  · 
 · 
Bull poopy. You started the CPBD thread with your account that calls yourself a Certified Professional Building Designer. You're nuttier than a Baby Ruth.
May 25, 16 9:47 pm  · 
 · 

Bloopox,

I wouldn't think of replacing all my stamps and embossers every year as small expenses.  The stamps cost about $20 each, and decent quality embossers with long enough arms to reach normal title blocks or the boxes on the various forms are $50 to $100 each, multiplied by two licensed professions, in 3 states, would be $420 to $720 per year just for stamps! That seems very wasteful.  Even if it were allowed. Which apparently it is not.

Out of a $100K+ a year income? If you are practicing in 3+ states, don't you think you'd be making $250K+ a year income? Even at $75,000 a year, it's minor. Think about it.

These days, it would be a 2 year renewal cycle in many states so it isn't a big issue.

May 25, 16 9:47 pm  · 
 · 

Bull poopy. You started the CPBD thread with your account that calls yourself a Certified Professional Building Designer. You're nuttier than a Baby Ruth.

Where does it say I was a CPBD?

May 25, 16 9:49 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
So you're not an architect. You're not a CPBD. what are you? You're nothing with respect to this profession and the building industry.
May 25, 16 9:49 pm  · 
 · 

I could take the CPBD exam if that matters?

It's just a matter of applying and paying some fees.

May 25, 16 9:51 pm  · 
 · 
I'm going back to my Murakami novel. Even at his most crazy happenings in his novels he still makes more sense than Rick.

Seriously Rick, get help. And to save you the search on Illinois' website - my license is very much active and up to date.
May 25, 16 9:52 pm  · 
 · 

Josh, 

I didn't even bother to check.

May 25, 16 9:53 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

And where was the "reasonable urgency" in reporting that guy in Australia who didn't even claim to have ever done any work except conceptual renderings?  Whose health, safety, or welfare was he threatening?

I see "reasonable urgency" as knowing that there's a fire danger, or something on which a blind person is going to smack their head, or an inadequate egress situation that might cause a stampede, or structural inadequacy.  I also might report someone for criminal activity (embezzlement, receiving kickbacks, violent crimes).  An expired license is not dangerous in and of itself.  There's no pressing need to contact the authorities before you give the guy a call or send an email saying "hey I noticed your license is out of date and just wanted to bring that to your attention in case it was an oversight, or a mistake by the state."

May 25, 16 9:54 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I could go to law school, if that matters.

Guess I should start posting on lawyer forums.

May 25, 16 9:58 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

If the CPBD exam is just a matter of applying and paying some fees, how does it differentiate between "hobbyists" and "building designers"?  I thought there was some requirement to submit proof of years of professional design work.  If there's such a requirement then how are you going to satisfy it?  If there's no such requirement then it's 100% meaningless and if it were possible I'd have even less respect for you for wasting money on that.

You do seem like the type who would gladly pay for new stamps and embossers every 2 years.  You're the only person I've ever known to have bought a duplicate AIA pin "in case something happens to the first one".  

May 25, 16 10:00 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
RWCB you started the CPBD thread and now you're dismissing the legitimacy of the AIBD
May 25, 16 10:01 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Good bye. I'll just continue on with my business. 

Good Bye to this worthless forum. I'm not going to accept any webcast, interview or whatever from this forum.

Please delete my account, administrator including this thread and all posts FROM me on this forum.

...That wasn't even a week ago.

May 25, 16 10:05 pm  · 
 · 

Bloopox,

The urgency is the danger of the message that it says. What he is saying is he doesn't respect the laws and the rules of practicing architecture and that he is above the law and then God only knows to what extent is the person going to disregard other laws and rules.

Are you telling me that the licensing board should never be notified for expired license? Then why not just not have architectural licensing? 

What message are you trying to convey?

Are you guys asking me to not report architects violating the law? 

May 25, 16 10:06 pm  · 
 · 
kjdt

Oh Balkins.  Is this really how you want to spend your life?  On your death bed will you be proud of your legacy? Or will you regret these hours, days, weeks, years, decades of your life that you spent doing this? I tend to doubt you'll feel content then with having devoted your life to ratting on people for petty infractions.  I think you'll regret it but it will be too late.

Do you want your obituary to read "he was a local character, well known to the officials he pestered"?  You seem to have deep reverence for some architects and designers of the past -shouldn't you learn from them to put your single-mindedness toward a better purpose?  It's not too late. Yet.

May 25, 16 10:14 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
"God only knows to what extent is the person going to disregard other laws and rules."

Balkins, you threw a temper tantrum in the CPBD thread where you said you weren't going to follow laws and rules either. When can you be brought to justice?
May 25, 16 10:15 pm  · 
 · 

If the CPBD exam is just a matter of applying and paying some fees, how does it differentiate between "hobbyists" and "building designers"?  I thought there was some requirement to submit proof of years of professional design work.  If there's such a requirement then how are you going to satisfy it?  If there's no such requirement then it's 100% meaningless and if it were possible I'd have even less respect for you for wasting money on that.

You do seem like the type who would gladly pay for new stamps and embossers every 2 years.  You're the only person I've ever known to have bought a duplicate AIA pin "in case something happens to the first one". 

Actually, it isn't quite that simple. Yes, I oversimplified it.

I thought there was some requirement to submit proof of years of professional design work.  If there's such a requirement then how are you going to satisfy it?

Yes, I would have to submit proof of years of experience. Not all that different than any other certification. Yes, I oversimplified it but my point is, it isn't that big of a hurdle. So I took a little authorial liberties in expressive oversimplification.

Of course, after such experience, I have to file paper work, pay some fees and so forth and then begin taking the exam. Once all exams are passed and then I take care of final certification fees. 

May 25, 16 10:19 pm  · 
 · 

Oh Balkins.  Is this really how you want to spend your life?  On your death bed will you be proud of your legacy? Or will you regret these hours, days, weeks, years, decades of your life that you spent doing this? I tend to doubt you'll feel content then with having devoted your life to ratting on people for petty infractions.  I think you'll regret it but it will be too late.

Do you want your obituary to read "he was a local character, well known to the officials he pestered"?  You seem to have deep reverence for some architects and designers of the past -shouldn't you learn from them to put your single-mindedness toward a better purpose?  It's not too late. Yet.

You got a good point. 

May 25, 16 10:25 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

No I'm not asking you not to report people.  I'm merely suggesting that the normal, human, decent thing to do would be to give him a heads up in case it was an honest mistake - which I'm certain that it was.  You're attributing deliberate wrongdoing to him, and making a big deal out of it being "TWO YEARS" - but that's just one missed renewal notice. In the one state where I intentionally let my license expire I just got the one renewal notice - no reminders or late notices or anything.  So if he missed that one notice then it might just never have crossed his mind.  As has already been pointed out, your idea that it would be obvious anytime he stamped something is a mistaken idea on your part.  If he's working on small projects then the building officials may not even be looking up his license when they review sets, so nobody would have caught it and alerted him that way either.  Where else is he going to suddenly notice this date? I don't know about you, but once I hang those little license cards on the wall each year I don't spend a lot of time gazing at them.  I might not notice an expired one. Sure he should have kept better track of this.  It's just that it's not an issue of imminent danger or obvious wrongdoing, so the decent thing to do is let him know about it and give him the chance to fix it.

May 25, 16 10:25 pm  · 
 · 

@David congrats!

I too have found the culture of work/life different/better in my new position here in Denver. Loved my old job but so far, so good.

May 25, 16 10:45 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

Richard yesterday an internet quiz told me I was ideally suited to be a detective - so this evening I did some unlicensed detective work and ascertained the identity of this scofflaw architect with the expired license - and I also discovered that during the time period that his license was expired he got married, moved his home and his office, and traveled out of the country, more than once, for months at a time - any one of which might explain both a lost renewal notice and a greater-than-normal level of distraction.   It also doesn't look like he had more than one or two projects during that time - and they were residential projects that didn't need an architect in the first place.

So how exactly did you become aware of this person in the first place?  Are they someone with whom you were bickering on some forum? Someone who got a bit of media attention and that annoyed you (I recall you previously reporting that guy who put up the "architecture 5 cents booth in a farmer's market)? 

May 25, 16 10:52 pm  · 
 · 

I wonder how much the monthly honorarium for interns at wHY's office is?

I admit, I'm skeptical.

May 25, 16 10:52 pm  · 
 · 
At least they give something, but most likely it isn't enough.

Another thing is the profession needs to get away from this ingrained culture of working overtime and working unpaid overtime. Luckily I'm at a firm that pays overtime but the vast majority don't. Who wouldn't want to schedule everything as much as possible to fit in a standard work week?
May 25, 16 11:20 pm  · 
 · 

No I'm not asking you not to report people.  I'm merely suggesting that the normal, human, decent thing to do would be to give him a heads up in case it was an honest mistake - which I'm certain that it was.  You're attributing deliberate wrongdoing to him, and making a big deal out of it being "TWO YEARS" - but that's just one missed renewal notice. In the one state where I intentionally let my license expire I just got the one renewal notice - no reminders or late notices or anything.  So if he missed that one notice then it might just never have crossed his mind.  As has already been pointed out, your idea that it would be obvious anytime he stamped something is a mistaken idea on your part.  If he's working on small projects then the building officials may not even be looking up his license when they review sets, so nobody would have caught it and alerted him that way either.  Where else is he going to suddenly notice this date? I don't know about you, but once I hang those little license cards on the wall each year I don't spend a lot of time gazing at them.  I might not notice an expired one. Sure he should have kept better track of this.  It's just that it's not an issue of imminent danger or obvious wrongdoing, so the decent thing to do is let him know about it and give him the chance to fix it.

Don't you check all your licenses with the licensing board at least once every 6 months or even 12 months. Don't you know how to check the online database of licensees at the licensing boards? It's only a maybe 30 seconds of your time a year for each license. Hell even if it was 1-2 minutes of your time. If you were licensed in 50 states. That's maybe 1 to 2 HOURS in a single year. Out of over 8750 hours a year, even 2 hours isn't that much.

The point I am getting at is that is your responsibility. 

On the flip side, "I'm merely suggesting that the normal, human, decent thing to do would be to give him a heads up in case it was an honest mistake - which I'm certain that it was"  - I will concur with you on this point. If I made a mistake of reporting him without having let him know, fine. It wasn't too kind. In the future, I'll work at being more decent in how I go about these issues. 

Sure he should have kept better track of this.  It's just that it's not an issue of imminent danger or obvious wrongdoing, so the decent thing to do is let him know about it and give him the chance to fix it.

Alright. I'll concur that I wasn't too nice and decent when I reported that person. As a matter of fact, for the most part since that time, I haven't reported architects for delinquent licenses. I haven't really spent that much time looking through the databases for deliquents practicing architecture with expired license.  I'm glad you understand the wrongdoing of the architect. I acknowledge my own not so kind (possibly interpreted as wrongdoing) for reporting the architect without notifying him.

In the case of the Australian kid, he was notified before I sent a complaint. As soon as he got it through his head how serious I am when I warned him and made the corrections, I promptly notified that the issue was resolved. Remember, they have to independently verify before pulling up a case. I agree that I was a tad aggressive on that one.

That was the only time I ever sent a complaint to a foreign architecture board.

May 25, 16 11:27 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
Sounds like you personally attacked them Balkins. How do you even find out about an unlicensed Australian architect? You need to do something with your life that matters.
May 25, 16 11:37 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

For the most part since that time, I haven't reported architects for delinquent licenses.

and

That was the only time I ever sent a complaint to a foreign architecture board.

The vast majority of people never report anyone to any architecture board anywhere, in their entire lifetimes.  If you really care so much about licensing issues, you should understand that the various states' boards only meet 5 to 12 times per year, for 1-6 hours at a time.  They've got better things to do than worry about these trivial things you're reporting.  If there's no immediate threat to health, safety, or welfare, then don't waster their time on it!

Don't you check all your licenses with the licensing board at least once every 6 months or even 12 months.

No. Of course not.  Why would I do that?  They don't need checking on. I understand that if you had a license you would visit it online on a regular basis - because you are enamored with licenses, and you have obsessive tendencies.  I don't feel any need to visit my licenses.  I have them stuck to a wall in my office, as required, but I don't visit them either once I tape them there.

May 25, 16 11:42 pm  · 
 · 

Richard yesterday an internet quiz told me I was ideally suited to be a detective - so this evening I did some unlicensed detective work and ascertained the identity of this scofflaw architect with the expired license - and I also discovered that during the time period that his license was expired he got married, moved his home and his office, and traveled out of the country, more than once, for months at a time - any one of which might explain both a lost renewal notice and a greater-than-normal level of distraction.   It also doesn't look like he had more than one or two projects during that time - and they were residential projects that didn't need an architect in the first place.

So how exactly did you become aware of this person in the first place?  Are they someone with whom you were bickering on some forum? Someone who got a bit of media attention and that annoyed you (I recall you previously reporting that guy who put up the "architecture 5 cents booth in a farmer's market)? 

Distraction is not an excuse. By the way, who was that scofflaw architect? I know who it was. It's hard to know how many projects the guy had during that time. Even if one doesn't need to be licensed as an architect for residential projects, you can't use the title unless you are actively licensed for any project. Properly, from a legal point of view, he should have not use the architect title and use an alternative title. If he did that, I wouldn't have bothered with it. 

Licensing law does not permit you to use the architect title when your license is expired. In case you had a registration in multiple states, you just can't go around doing projects in states where your license is expired, using the architect title and/or stamping with an expired stamp.

Whether we agree or disagree with how the protection of the "architect" title is  enforced is irrelevant. 

May 25, 16 11:45 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

The Australian guy was just some architecture-student-wannabe who had a website of conceptual renderings.  He wasn't advertising architectural services - he wasn't even advertising renderings - it was pretty much just an online portfolio of placeless projects.  He used the word "architect" and wouldn't take it down at Rick's command, so Rick filed a complaint with New South Wales.

May 25, 16 11:46 pm  · 
 · 

no_form,

Sounds like you personally attacked them Balkins. How do you even find out about an unlicensed Australian architect? You need to do something with your life that matters.

That is because the person was here on this forum.

May 25, 16 11:46 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

By the way, who was that scofflaw architect?

I don't want to put the person's name on this site, but here's evidence that I figured it out:  his license expired in May, 2008, and part of his name is the same as yours.  

As I said before, he was out of the country during large chunks of that time, and moved his home and office - so it seems quite plausible to me that the renewal notice may not have reached him.  I just don't think there was any intentional infraction committed here.  Good, decent people make mistakes, and other good, decent people cut them some slack!  All you're doing is making a reputation for yourself as an asshole.  

May 25, 16 11:53 pm  · 
 · 

The Australian guy was just some architecture-student-wannabe who had a website of conceptual renderings.  He wasn't advertising architectural services - he wasn't even advertising renderings - it was pretty much just an online portfolio of placeless projects.  He used the word "architect" and wouldn't take it down at Rick's command, so Rick filed a complaint with New South Wales.

Once he removed the 'architect' title and stop representing himself as an architect. I promptly informed New South Wales board in Australia that the guy had made compliance. Which is why the case never went forward. 

May 25, 16 11:59 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
So Balkins, do you have business licenses for all your businesses? If not I'll have to report you. As another member mentioned, you have all these businesses but where is the income? Should we rat you to the IRS?
May 26, 16 12:00 am  · 
 · 

I don't want to put the person's name on this site, but here's evidence that I figured it out:  his license expired in May, 2008, and part of his name is the same as yours.  

As I said before, he was out of the country during large chunks of that time, and moved his home and office - so it seems quite plausible to me that the renewal notice may not have reached him.  I just don't think there was any intentional infraction committed here.  Good, decent people make mistakes, and other good, decent people cut them some slack!  All you're doing is making a reputation for yourself as an asshole.  

Good. It's best not to say his name. I'm with you on that.

Maybe he didn't intentionally violate the licensing law. However, it doesn't matter if he was on vacation 730 days. If you are practicing or offering to practice architecture or use the architect title for any project located in Washington, regardless of wherever you are in the universe, you have a legal responsibility to make sure you have an active license PRIOR to using the architect title. It doesn't matter where you are in the world. There is this thing called internet. He could have at any moment in time check up on license. You know, there is no excuse for him to not spend even 2 minutes out of the well over 1 MILLION minutes over a 2 YEAR time frame to have checked on his license status.

I was probably an unkind asshole for reporting him without letting him know. If the distraction could have caused him to not renew at any time during that time frame, what else could that distraction caused when designing houses? Was his attention on the project? Did he exercise reasonable care? All these kinds of questions can really be raised. If he had enough attention to do the projects correctly, it is hard to believe the distraction was enough to warrant not checking on his license and renewing by the time I reported him.

I agree with you that it would have been more decent and kind to have contacted him first. At the time, I felt, he knew what he was doing.

May 26, 16 12:30 am  · 
 · 

no_form,

You do realize that a sole-proprietorship is one entity regardless of how many ABNs used. This is because an ABN is not a separate entity from its owner and the business entity IS the owner. ABNs are tradenames of one business entity.... the owner. This is because there is no separation of the business from the owner. In sole-proprietorship, all entities are tied to the same social security number and entity. It is not separate for each ABN of the same sole-proprietorship. ABNs are basically trade names of a singular entity. In this case, that business entity is me. 

May 26, 16 12:44 am  · 
 · 

I am Wavestar Interactive. 

I am SYSTEM//99 Softworks

I am Richard W.C. Balkins, Building Designer

ALL of those ABNs *is* Richard W.C. Balkins

Richard W.C. Balkins IS the business entity and is the person.

May 26, 16 12:47 am  · 
 · 
kjdt

There's a semi-famous architect near me who has been fined twice by the board for a lapsed license.  The first time the lapse was more than 15 years, the 2nd was 8 years, and now he's expired again and still practicing.  That, to me, would be somebody who is fully aware of his wrongdoing.  Of course he may be fully aware and yet not care at all - the fines are less than he would have paid in dues for those years, and he knows perfectly well that the board can't do anything else but keep fining him.  If you were reporting someone with an 8 year gap, that would be more understandable.  In my opinion a 2 year lapse could easily be due to a lost email, lost letter, simple oversight, and very probably not intentional.  I agree that taking up boards' time on these petty matters is wasteful and pointless.  They seem like vindictive acts against people who annoy you online. The better solution would be to spend less time being annoyed online.

May 26, 16 12:48 am  · 
 · 

There's a semi-famous architect near me who has been fined twice by the board for a lapsed license.  The first time the lapse was more than 15 years, the 2nd was 8 years, and now he's expired again and still practicing.  That, to me, would be somebody who is fully aware of his wrongdoing.  Of course he may be fully aware and yet not care - the fines are less than he would have paid in dues for those years, and he knows perfectly well that the board can't do anything else but keep fining him.   In my opinion a 2 year lapse could easily be due to a lost email, lost letter, simple oversight, and probably not intentional.  I agree that taking up boards' time on these petty matters is wasteful and pointless.  They seem like vindictive acts against people who annoy you online. The better solution would be to spend less time being annoyed online.

I do not associate the architect I filed the complaint against to any particular forum name. Another architect informed me that the person was operating with an expired architect license. 

Letting 15 years to lapse by is an atrocity. Isn't the whole idea is to not let license lapse especially no longer than 1 year. In fact, architect are suppose to cease and desist use of the architect title with regards to any projects in states where their license expires WITHIN 60 DAYS. It's one thing to be 3 to 6 months. It's another thing to be years lapsed. 

In this digital / computer age, where you can check up on the license 24/7 everyday of the year (except when the computer server is down). You are suppose to be on it proactively. You are suppose to care about your license enough to do so and care about following the laws enough. When you don't, it kind of makes the whole protection of the "architect" title totally moot and not worth protecting. If you don't really care about the title protection that much then why keep those laws?

Just a point. I agree with myself not being an asshole in that case but you're always considered an asshole by someone if you report them regardless of whatever the violation is. The problem is architects tends to not report other architects so who is going to report them when one of them is violating the laws that you guys created in the first place. Follow the rules you created. Architects created the licensing laws therefore architects should follow them. 

Yes, we are all guilty of not following all the time but guess what, there is no one without sin to be the first to cast the stone. If we wait for a sinless person without guilt to enforce the laws and rules, then all laws and rules would be meaningless. 

We have to pick up the stones and cast them. We have to enforce the laws ourselves even if we are all sinners. Right? Otherwise, we have absolutely no law and order. We will have total absolute chaos. 

You guys maybe right that it could have been resolved without filing a complaint. If I did that, wouldn't I be participating in covering up unlawful violation by turning an eye to it.

It might be petty. However, if you are saying these matters are too petty and wasteful and pointless then lets change the licensing laws and remove the title restriction except for "registered architect" or "licensed architect" or "state-certified architect" (state being either state or the name of the state) that implies being certified by the state. This way, someone being certified by a non-government entity in architecture or building design is allowed to properly state such credentials. 

That's the issue that I have. Until then, we can't just ignore the laws or it makes us basically a bunch of criminals. If we or architects feel this title law as they are is not worth protecting as it is then change it. I'm sure we should still protect the title "registered architect" or "licensed architect" but if the general "architect" title is not worth protecting then make the legal changes so these cases no longer matter. 

If we all can use the title "Architect", that clears up a lot of these petty cases. Then the difference is focused on whether a license/registration is required or not and more serious matters. 

I personally do not see that happening anytime soon. That is part of the annoyance of such conundrum. I can't make these changes in the laws from a political point.

May 26, 16 1:23 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: