Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

Well, if they were transit engineers then hot mess they'd be describing would be dc.

May 15, 16 9:13 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

marc, I'm driving to DC from now on. thank you!

May 15, 16 9:16 pm  · 
 · 

well, choose your poison I guess...

May 15, 16 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

its all miserable, I know, when i go visiting my brother and his wife and my nephew....

federaliis!

May 15, 16 9:23 pm  · 
 · 

I've been working all weekend on freelance projects, it's 11:30 and I'm finally going to bed, I feel like I'm self-employed again!

May 15, 16 11:37 pm  · 
 · 

Donna,

Isn't that the in the definition of freelance?

May 16, 16 12:14 am  · 
 · 
Carrera

No Donna, you know when you are "self-employed again" when your bookkeeper comes to you on Wednesday and reminds you that payroll is Friday and the bank called and said the check for your last deposit bounced.... it is at that moment that you begin wondering if the local Art Museum is hiring.

May 16, 16 12:46 am  · 
 · 

I know, Carrera, I know. With my husband self-employed I really need to keep this stable predictable full time fully-benefited job but man oh man do I miss being my own boss!

May 16, 16 8:55 am  · 
 · 
Stephanie

Update: I had a convo with the HR of the retail brand.

It sounded to me that they wanted someone with a lot of architectural experience and taste, but weren't going to offer them an opportunity to really use those skills beyond organizing product within stores that other architects would design. Where's the fun in that? They also made too many qualifying statements about salary range... ' we can't pay top dollar ' etc. 

Oh well.

May 16, 16 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^ perhaps you just dodged a bullet there Steph.

I've had issues dealing with so called retail "in-house architects" (read: unlicensed designers) and it's a pain educating them when their designs clash with local codes and zoning. 

May 16, 16 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

When I was back there I saw some places in my price range in Baker and Globeville neighborhoods.

I had a couple houses in Baker back in the day.  Sad part is that I made more selling those houses in my 30's than I'd made during my entire career thus far.  Made a fortune selling them in just a couple years after I bought them.    

I'm in Littleton now (the southern burbs).  

May 16, 16 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

General question...

Is anyone aware of a modern(ish) French-English construction term dictionary? I had one years ago but it dates from the late 80s.

May 16, 16 3:46 pm  · 
 · 

Hi TC,

@archanonymous, the wife and I have looked at Baker and Globeville, also Lincoln Park or Cole/Swansea...

night all!

May 17, 16 1:12 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

nam, you reminded me of another house hunting tip: Beware the neighborhoods housing pet food plants. 

May 17, 16 10:17 am  · 
 · 
AdrianFGA

@Non Sequitur

Is anyone aware of a modern(ish) French-English construction term dictionary? I had one years ago but it dates from the late 80s

http://www.granddictionnaire.com/ -> technical terms, includes construction terms.

May 17, 16 10:26 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Hey, thanks Adrian. Consider the link bookmarked. I guess my romantic quest for a modern hard-copy dictionary is futile.

On a side note, french construction terms are strange.

May 17, 16 10:48 am  · 
 · 
AdrianFGA

^

On a side note, french construction terms are strange.

Why, linteau -> lintel

Forgot http://www.linguee.fr/ and http://www.linguee.com. Very powerful contextual tools, complementing a regular dictionnary.

May 17, 16 11:09 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Nam, you thinking of buying in Denver? Its a tough market.

Yeah - that Globeville pig rendering plant is terrible, terrible smell. Ah. I can smell it now just thinking about it.

May 17, 16 1:44 pm  · 
 · 

Going by his Instagram account it appears Bjarke just got married? There go the romantic dreams of many a young student....

May 17, 16 1:55 pm  · 
 · 

I bet he proposed with diagrams.

May 17, 16 2:08 pm  · 
 · 

LOL Josh!

May 17, 16 2:57 pm  · 
 · 

Who did he marry? A lawyer? A doctor? A ______________?

May 17, 16 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
Zaina

Ooh that's so sweet :D :)) ... oh Yeah, romantic dreams :p 

... so folk, I have a stupid question,, 

for the first time in my student life, I need to do a parametric design for the roof of my project..

I was never introduced to the subject of parametric design at school... 

just give me a hint.. what is the easiest to learn fastest software I should be using? and if there a free licensed software I can use or even a trial..  :p .. don't know.. I am trying the Geometer's Sketchpad.. pretty simple, but doesn't seem can accomplish the task 

May 17, 16 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Revit.

May 17, 16 5:26 pm  · 
 · 

Hooks, chains and gravity.

May 17, 16 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
^ +1 for old school parametricism
May 17, 16 9:06 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

marc, you might have confused 'parametric' with 'parabolic.'  which wouldn't be parabolic anyway, it would be a catenary curve

May 17, 16 9:22 pm  · 
 · 

One is a process and the other is the resulting shape, so I don't think so.

May 17, 16 11:42 pm  · 
 · 

@tintt and arch, good advice both. I don't know what is worse the Purina plant or the birfurcation/presence that is 70. Though, they are talking about lowering/covering/parking-over the section right there... Though there are at least a few detractors

Plus, I sort of feel like with the A-Line and lines opening anything along 70 corridor is going to be $ given enough time.

May 18, 16 12:18 am  · 
 · 

I'll back of curtkram. This hook and chain or rope or whatever as described is a catenary curve.

Lets remember the St. Louis Gateway Arch by Eero Saarinen is an inverse catenary curve. Aside from the fact that this is well documented in architectural history books and other books and websites and other documentation about Eero Saarinen with one of his hallmark projects. I knew an architect who worked for Saarinen, Saarinen & Associates. He married the daughter of John Wicks who met him when she attended Cranbrook Academy of Arts. While he didn't attend Cranbrook Academy of Arts, he worked for Eliel Saarinen.

Therefore, I back curtkram on this one backed by one of the works of a legendary architect.

May 18, 16 2:36 am  · 
 · 

https://www.google.com/#q=parabolic+arch+vs+catenary+arch

Just a quick google search that has links to some information on it.

Parabolic as in parabolic arch is an arch in the shape of a parabola. Catenary is not a parabola. There is a difference.

A catenary and a parabolic arch will look SIMILAR but they are different. Look very attentively at the curves and the differences.

May 18, 16 2:39 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

We're crossing parabolic and parametric too much.  Parametric is the one that is a process.  Maybe we can get schumacher to weigh in.

May 18, 16 7:17 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

just ask the language teacher (me). parametric means "per a metric". 

May 18, 16 8:26 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Anyone ever consider that Balkins is one of Schumacher's alter-egos?

May 18, 16 8:40 am  · 
 · 

Curt, 

I agree that parametric is the process, and that it does not always yield a parabola or catenary curve (look at detention basins). I'm saying that in this particular limited exercise, the parametric process outcome would yield catenary curves (or arches). 

May 18, 16 9:22 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Hooks, Chains, and Gravity would be a good name for a song. 

May 18, 16 9:50 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

nam, agree and that's why I'm interested, not to mention those are the grittiest and most "city-like" parts of Denver.

I wish the houses along the W-line in Jefferson County were a) affordable b) able to be up-zoned. I love living on the west side and I think it is terribly under-developed. Instead of expanding eastward at low density, Denver needs to densify the west side and embrace what makes the city unique. Out east you may as well be in Omaha, OKC, or Amarillo... there's nothing to tell you "this is Denver"

May 18, 16 9:53 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Nam, it is suburban, but I like Wheat Ridge. I've been house shopping for years to move closer to Boulder, which is completely unaffordable itself but is where my husband works. Housing in the Denver area sucks.  

May 18, 16 10:01 am  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Worth a read for those interested in globeville, elyria, etc https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/311/topics/252999-denver-1-in-rent-prices-and-its-not-slowing-down-invest-now

May 18, 16 10:05 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

We just have to go shopping, wurdan. There is an empty city-owned lot across the street from my house. 

I think there is a petro plant in Elyria Swansea. I'm cautious for that reason too. 

May 18, 16 10:36 am  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Shopping indeed! You can get 7 acres in Erie for 2 fitty.

May 18, 16 11:04 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I don't like Erie. :( We should just go drive around though anyways, maybe you can convince me. 

May 18, 16 11:31 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Erie? Why not buy a huge farmhouse in Kansas for $80k?

May 18, 16 11:53 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^ because it's Kansas?

May 18, 16 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

^sounds nice... if the Rocky Mountains were still accessible. Just saying... great price for amazing views of the flat irons. Wheat ridge, South Golden, unicorporated jeffco, seem ripe for development... amazing to see the amount of dilapidated houses still available in highlands and now berkeley, sunnyside...

May 18, 16 12:07 pm  · 
 · 

@wurdan thanks for that link...

Morning TC!

May 18, 16 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Why Erie? Because there is lots of demand for development within commuting distance of Boulder where there are lots of jobs. 

May 18, 16 12:27 pm  · 
 · 

Marc's comment for hooks, chains, and gravity recalled images of Gaudi's model for the structure of La Sagrada Familia.

Parametric: Adjective; of, relating to, or expressed in terms of a parameter or parameters.

Lots of different parameters being expressed in the photo above ... weight of the bag, length of the string, position of the bag on the string, connections between two (or more) strings, positions of those connections, etc.

Could grasshopper come up with the same? Sure. But the above is much more intuitive and quicker to learn and model if you have no experience with the software. 

May 18, 16 1:09 pm  · 
 · 

^ exactly. Thanks for posting the image.

May 18, 16 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

fuck this shit i am going home..........and working some more!

May 18, 16 8:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: