Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

NS,

You wrote: 

Dave, I read your ramblings.

What you don't understand is that your work is nothing special. Moreover, rendering and modelling is simple enough for anyone to learn. So, work like you offer is easy for architects and laymen to produce. Why bother collaborating with you if I can do better on my own?

Hate to burst your bubbles but EVERYTHING is simple enough for anyone to learn if the person has the will to learn it.

Nov 30, 15 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
Anonymoose

Hate to burst your bubbles but EVERYTHING is simple enough for anyone to learn if the person has the will to learn it.

My irony-meter is off the charts.

Nov 30, 15 2:27 pm  · 
 · 

Architecture isn't that hard to learn. Understanding the architectural drama on Archinect.... might be.

Nov 30, 15 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I don't trust that anyone who says "Architecture isn't that hard to learn" has truly tried to learn Architecture.

I've been at it for almost 15 years and I consider myself a novice.

Nov 30, 15 2:31 pm  · 
 · 

HAHAHA.. those guys are morrons, they boast abt nothing.. they don't even know what they're talking about.

they probably got a miserable life.. Haters.. I pity them.. i really hope their lives get better though. shame..

anyway i'm off.. can't take anymore of this hatred. 

god bless.

peace everyone.

Nov 30, 15 2:37 pm  · 
 · 

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

Nov 30, 15 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

can't take anymore of this hatred. 

Well there's something we finally agree on.

Nov 30, 15 2:46 pm  · 
 · 

tduds,

It isn't that hard to learn. There is a lot to learn but it isn't mind torturing calculus. It's largely an art and art doesn't require a license to be an artist or do great art. The hardest thing to learn maybe learning what the schizophrenic professor wants. The professor and the academia isn't architecture. They are just a venue for learning the subject of architecture. 

There is certainly a bit of interdisciplinary knowledge that would be drawn upon but if you want to design great buildings, I don't think it is necessarily hard. 

What is hardest is soft skills of working with clients.

You learned architecture and let me tell you this much, it is impossible to know everything about and subject matter. It isn't about that. You spent 15 years but frankly, it isn't necessarily mind torture to understand designing and the art. Architecture is a field of art and science. When we talk about design quality and great design.... that's qualitative reasoning and by definition that is subjective reasoning. In which case, there is no precise right or wrong answer. There is quantative aspects which includes things such as what the codes require.

Then we have the issue of what is it that the client wants. I think the hardest thing can be knowing what the client wants. This may or may not jive with our personal tastes. 

Practice of architecture is one thing that isn't a solo artist work. Usually, that is. 

It's a team view perspective and the client and other stakeholders are part of the team. It's not about you. The artist is not a singular person. The artist is all those who shape the design of the project. 

This is my view and this is a matter of perspective. Learning about styles and various philosophies.... that's easy peasy. Working with clients is an art form. There is no single rule book on this.

All we have is opinions.

Sometimes, it works. Sometimes it doesn't. 

Nov 30, 15 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
Anonymoose

All we have is opinions.

And all of yours are objectively stupid.

Nov 30, 15 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Dave, enjoy your ignorance while it lasts.

Nov 30, 15 3:01 pm  · 
 · 

Anonymoose,

You're a fake person so why should I care. Fake person..... Fake opinion.... so why should I care?

Nov 30, 15 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
Anonymoose

Dick, keep spouting your fake knowledge and puking out rivers of text, thinking it will make you look smart and professional, you architect-wannabe.

Nov 30, 15 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

When we talk about design quality and great design.... that's qualitative reasoning and by definition that is subjective reasoning. In which case, there is no precise right or wrong answer. 

That's exactly why it isn't *easy* to master.

Nov 30, 15 3:45 pm  · 
 · 

Hahahahaha I came here to tell you all just to put a cork in it but Richard that image is hilarious. Ooooh, you guys <sigh>.  You're exhausting and make me feel like mom to a bunch of toddlers -  I know I should be a good disciplinarian but I can't keep from cracking up when you do hilarious things.

Nov 30, 15 3:45 pm  · 
 · 

tduds,

There is no mastering it. There are things in life that you just don't master. You find methods that work better but never master. Sometimes, it is coming down to learning to read expressions and the people but the more you get to know the client the greater the chance you understand their needs and do it better.

This isn't architecture itself. It's kind of customer service so to speak. It's a soft skill. This wouldn't be limited to architecture. It's people skills.

Donna,

Yes, but definitely, WE (including me) should put a cork in the bantering as we can be soon exhausting the grace.

Nov 30, 15 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I think you're missing my point. It's not that I expect to reach a point where I'm "done" learning. It's that I've come far enough to realize how much I really don't know yet.

The thing about not knowing what you don't know is that you think you know everything already.

Nov 30, 15 4:01 pm  · 
 · 

Donna, did you really have to give him a cookie?

Nov 30, 15 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Well....I'm looking to buy a higonokami and I just ate Chana Masala for dinner.

Nov 30, 15 4:07 pm  · 
 · 

So I saw this lamp - the Cup Lamp by Paul Loebach - in the gift shop of the Phoenix Art Museum and fell totally in love. it's really, really good: metal, flush LED panel, super simple, super clean...I'm lusting for two of them as bedside tables BUT my husband already bought two Googie reproduction lamps with custom shades so. Oh well.

http://paulloebach.com/cup/

Nov 30, 15 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
Zaina

well.. is the day off there in the U.S?

Nov 30, 15 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^ I just purchased 8 (reproduction) Eames Eiffel dinning chairs this weekend.

Nov 30, 15 4:19 pm  · 
 · 

tduds,

I don't know everything. It's about looking at things optimistically. It isn't that hard for anyone with the will to do what we do. It's not necessarily special. I think we had been somewhat missing each others points. It's kind of like looking at the cup as either half full or half empty. 

If someone wants to know and learn what they need to be competent in designing architecture, it isn't that hard. The licensing laws isn't architecture. It's a fabrication that was invented in the late 19th century. When the role of architects are more about space planning and interior/exterior design and the rest is outsourced to engineers, then our role isn't that hard. It isn't that hard to make space meet the HSW requirements and in many cases, basic utilitarian functions. That's relatively easy.  

People skills are things we have to develop and frankly, you don't learn that in class especially in those critique studio model that traces back to Ecoles Beaux Arts art curriculum BEFORE they had an architecture curriculum even though they were among the first formal education program of architecture but Ecoles Beaux Arts adapted its art curriculum model for Architecture. A critique model suited for preparing students for art gallery openings and the kind of critiquing that you find in that kind of setting. Something we don't see in professional practice of architecture so much. It's good for presentation skills which is fine. However, clients don't critique like the professors.

When interning, an intern getting their IDP hours may or may not really get involved in client dialogue. They don't really learn that until they are working with clients of their own. I have had that experience and I do understand it is something we always learn to do better. I suppose we can always learn from each other. 

I think we might have been beating on each other needlessly when we are probably really in agreement but viewing it from different perspectives. 

In my experience, each client is a unique experience and I just do my best to read them and understand them and navigate accordingly. Dialogue is crucial in my experience to know where and how they feel.

Bottom line: I don't try to know everything. If I did, I would have to be very very very old.

Old enough to make Master Yoda look like a child.

Nov 30, 15 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I'd get that lamp if it wasn't $180.

I'll just make one.

Nov 30, 15 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
Zaina

1:30 am from overseas.. busy with graduation thesis report.. bybye, remind not to come back otherwise an F is waiting for me :p

Nov 30, 15 4:37 pm  · 
 · 

Zaina,

Don't let the forum distract you from important things like your graduation thesis. BTW: Wish you best on it.

Nov 30, 15 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
situationist

Can someone please fill me in on the kid who spent $30k on PR... while in college?  What did this person do to need to hire a PR firm?

Nov 30, 15 7:59 pm  · 
 · 

situationist,

I don't know. Are you sure we really want to know? 

Nov 30, 15 8:02 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

rwcb - not a pbd, go get a degree in architecture, get a job, get experience, make money.  enjoy your life.  you're not doing anything else with your life in your parent's basement except being a continual burden to them.  you're not self-taught, you've proven over and over again on this forum how limited your knowledge and experience is despite claims to the contrary; which is a clear violation of the AIBD's code of ethics.  balkins.  get. a. job.  get a job.  

Nov 30, 15 8:39 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

situationist: read the initial post in this thread for an answer to your question: http://archinect.com/forum/thread/127115097/disgraced-student-leaving-school-for-a-year-what-to-do

Nov 30, 15 8:53 pm  · 
 · 

Geez..... FACEPALM !!!!

Doesn't he know about meta tags on websites and other SEO tricks?

Koz, post alot, and there wouldn't be much a problem in being found on the internet. LOL!

$30,000 for what? What gain did that do?

The same effort that makes me infamous or something like that, can work to make someone well known in the architecture world. If anything, produce some good design work and so forth would have done a lot more but $30,000 spent on what?

Nov 30, 15 8:59 pm  · 
 · 

No_form,

*PLONK*

Nov 30, 15 9:17 pm  · 
 · 

Wow, just saw a stunning portfolio online. Be sure to check out the gallery!

Nov 30, 15 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Shigeru mizuki has died RIP

Dec 1, 15 2:00 am  · 
 · 

forsdocument85

Dec 1, 15 3:37 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

In other news...I've come across strange bugs in Autodesk Recap 2016..

Dec 1, 15 5:37 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

spam responding spam......whats Recap?

Dec 1, 15 7:09 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Everyone please flag that spam and it will go away.

Dec 1, 15 9:07 am  · 
 · 
JeromeS

I think it might have some useful information.  I may need to emigrate to a country better than mine, at some point.  I will need some good documents in order to get in.  They say they're the best!  I've book marked the information for future reference.

Dec 1, 15 9:13 am  · 
 · 

I keep flagging RCWB's posts but they're still here.

Dec 1, 15 9:16 am  · 
 · 

I'm anxious to get my initial license so I can finally gain access to the special VIP section of Archinect for real architects that's free of spammers, disgruntled lifelong interns, and "professional building designers".

That VIP section is a thing that exists, right?

Dec 1, 15 9:21 am  · 
 · 

Who told you about that?! 

Dec 1, 15 9:22 am  · 
 · 

I think it was mentioned in one of the ARE divisions. Newly-licensed architects get a packet from the AIA that includes access to the Archinect VIP forum, a black turtleneck sweater, a coupon for one pair of novelty frames from Warby Parker, and a coupon for $50 off at any participating Saab dealership.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUAzKgowx3Q

Dec 1, 15 9:49 am  · 
 · 
midlander

I thought Saab went out of business / got bought by a chinese tractor manufacturer...

You know at least 2-3 desperate students already clicked that link to looking for work visas to land them that $500/month internship which will make them a star. It's not spam if readers find it useful.

Dec 1, 15 10:22 am  · 
 · 

The first rule of a Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club. Somebody is going to get a beating. 

Dec 1, 15 10:32 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

shssss...

The door to the VIP forum does not have a deadbolt because it's unpleasant to look at. The slightest breeze can bust it right open letting in all sorts of silly students.

Dec 1, 15 10:37 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

students looking for illegal visas, sounds like terrorists to me or the next intern at some starchitect firm? how do you tell the difference? both are ideological about their existence beyond rational comprehensions of reality. one believes in god and the other in godlike architects that will boost their resumes and bless them with design sense......VIP section, never heard of it.

Dec 1, 15 10:37 am  · 
 · 

Of course you haven't. 

Dec 1, 15 10:49 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

david,

here's the secret.  once you get a license you will stop posting for about 2 weeks because you'll be excited and reinvigorated and focused on becoming a better architect.  that will wear off pretty quick and you'll come back here a new person.  you'll start posting spam about how stupid the kids are today.  i look forward to having you here as one of us instead of one of them

:D

Dec 1, 15 11:03 am  · 
 · 

So the old ball and chain had an emergency eye problem and we did the song and dance over insurance before we just gave up and paid out of pocket.

This reinforced for me in so many ways the utter failure of health care in this banana republic. Exclusionary networks (free market!) to "control" costs, inability to contact the insurer for anything other than payment, hours lost trying to contact a live person at the insurer who you imagine with dim hope *might* possibly help, the outright extortive aspect of ObummerCare, the ridiculous costs of even a minor 20 minute procedure, etc., etc., etc.

In capitalist society the individual is nothing more than a profit center, and often less.

Dec 1, 15 9:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: