Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

Anonymoose

We already have Balkins for that. He could also probably earn his first salary in 20 years writing stupid essays for archinectors.

Nov 24, 15 10:58 am  · 
 · 

Good morning TC!

Zaina, what about this thread i created nine days ago? It was at least about an architect...

Nov 24, 15 11:54 am  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞
#jetfueldidntmeltsteelbeams
Nov 24, 15 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞
#damntruthers
Nov 24, 15 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I want to hear about the drain board being VE'd out too. 

Nov 24, 15 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

it didn't actually happen.  it just sort of seemed like about the stupidest i think i could think of happening.  it was a rhetorical post intended to demonstrate the absurdity of professional practice, and the lack of interest. apparently there is interest in the absurd though.

i just talked to two leasing agents and a contractor about firelite.  that's sort of fun i suppose.  sprinkler your buildings people!

Nov 24, 15 2:33 pm  · 
 · 

Still not an architect yet, and it's been two months since I passed my last ARE division. Beyond frustrating.

Nov 24, 15 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Did you happen to check to see if your hours of logged time meet the calendar day requirement for your state?  Three years worth of hours don't necessarily meet three years of calendar experience.  They could be holding for that. 

Nov 24, 15 5:02 pm  · 
 · 

I've met all the requirements. It's just a matter of waiting for the paperwork to get processed.

Nov 24, 15 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

almost 8 weeks for me, wrote a letter to my state rep yesterday, maybe that'll help?

Hope Michigan is better than NY in something
Nov 24, 15 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
I was at the Grand Canyon for the last two days with NO signal on my phone which was awesome. But the best part (besides time with my family) was discovering the work of Mary Colter, a kickass woman architect from the very early 20th Century who designed virtually all of the buildings in the national park prior to 1940! Really great vernacular modernism. Can't believe this architect's work isn't more well-known because it's a huge part of our national cultural mythology of the romantic West.
Nov 25, 15 10:14 am  · 
 · 
JeromeS

It's just a matter of waiting for the paperwork to get processed

You may also be waiting for a meeting of the Board.  If you go to the State's website you can get a general idea of their schedule.  I'm not sure that they meet every month.  This will help you relax until the day after their next board meeting! :)

Nov 25, 15 11:45 am  · 
 · 

Ugh.... "At least another week or so" according to NYSED. They've had my complete file for a month now, and two weeks ago they needed another form to verify some work experience. Now they've had that one-page form for over a week now and it will apparently take at least another week to process it.

Nov 25, 15 11:46 am  · 
 · 
3tk

Waiting for the board to meet is always aggravating.  Just about to start my first reciprocity application.  Finding it to be so much worse than initial license application, not sure it it's just less exciting?

Nov 25, 15 12:00 pm  · 
 · 

I was planning on getting reciprocal registration in Ohio, but at this rate I'll be on the road to Seattle by the time I get my New York license and NCARB certification.

Nov 25, 15 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

3tk - are you an ncarb member?

Nov 25, 15 12:44 pm  · 
 · 

Morning all,

@Donna you all should do a Session focusing on her work, perhaps even an interview with the author Arnold Berke?

Or maybe put together a feature/article on her?

Nov 25, 15 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
David, NY took a long time for me too. Sit tight and soon it'll be a distant memory. WA isn't any faster.
Nov 25, 15 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

If you want, I'll send you the CAD seal for NY (as if you haven't downloaded it already...)

Nov 25, 15 4:34 pm  · 
 · 

Getting the CAD seal is easy; getting a legitimate license number is the hard part. I'm not in a rush to stamp any drawings, but I definitely want to be licensed and preferably NCARB certified before I start sending out resumes to Seattle firms.

Nov 25, 15 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Donna,

Here works makes me think of the Landscape Architect  Alfred Caldwell.  He was the head of the City of Chicago Parks for  a few years.  He designed Eagle Point Park in Iowa.  There are a number of buildings  as part of this park.   I visited it a number of years ago, while out that way for a Wedding.  There are a number of other amazing landscape creations as part of this park which overlooks the Mississippi River.

I'm glad to hear you had a great time at the Canyon.

now I have to ask....."Your not the girl standing on a corner in Winslow, Arizona?

Nov 25, 15 5:51 pm  · 
 · 

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Now let's go kill something and eat it.

Nov 26, 15 10:47 am  · 
 · 
I killed a pitcher of sangria, does that count?!
Nov 26, 15 10:19 pm  · 
 · 

I felt like killing a bottle of Chivas Regal after dinner with my family. I love them, but a few of them have personality types that make me want to run screaming to the other side of the continent.

Nov 26, 15 10:26 pm  · 
 · 
Benjamin21

I have never spoken Polish.  My dad doesn't speak Polish.  My grandfather probably some but only my great grandfather was a Polish speaker and I never met him.  Man says it doesn't matter.

Nov 26, 15 11:53 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Happy Thanksgivings to y'all Merican's, I sit here figuring out a basement and sub basement whilst y'all be eating turkey.

Nov 27, 15 5:29 am  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

I killed eight pages of drawings yesterday...damn buggers went missing in space...to be lost forever.  I wiped them right off of the computer so today I scrambled and put one page of drawings back together by modifying old drawings... I hate it when this shit happens cause you have worked way to many hours on a project cause your under a tight time line.

Nov 27, 15 6:29 pm  · 
 · 

snooker....

I know the feeling. Although, most of my experience with that isn't with building design but back with a software project.  

I had spent a long day putting together a program and then somehow forgot to save the program to disk. Then when I went back, the program was not saved. Now, I'm on the wire to a deadline and I had to rewrite the entire program from memory in a fraction of the time. 

The first time, it took longer because you had to design it. In other words, you had to think out the program. Now, under the gun, had to rewrite the entire program AGAIN and SAVE it.

Remember, in those days, there wasn't any such thing as autosaving. It was all manual. You had to religiously save often so you aren't set back a long ways.

I understand the pain and scramble.

Nov 27, 15 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
ivorykeyboard

Just heard that I passed CDS yesterday. Five more....

Nov 27, 15 11:05 pm  · 
 · 

Congrats... Despite what the trolls here on Archinect (and a few in my office) say, licensure really does mean something and it will be worth it. At least that's what I keep telling myself.

Nov 27, 15 11:46 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Congrats Ivory. Just heard back I passed schematic. Only 1 to go.

Nov 29, 15 2:04 pm  · 
 · 

Hello everyone.

I'm pretty new to this forum. This is the weirdest thread I've seen so far.

Anywho, I've been looking for ideas and collaborators for new business opportunities. I currently own a rendering machine with 40 cores multithreaded for rendering purposes. 

I'm looking to collaborate with someone that can come up with the projects (clients). We could work together on the modelling, texturing and the rendering will on my side.

Please propose me a few ideas in this post. Anyone willing to join me and make some money?

Nov 30, 15 1:43 am  · 
 · 

?

Nov 30, 15 1:55 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

No one is named Dave Harry.

Nov 30, 15 2:43 am  · 
 · 

Maybe but that's not impossible, actually. I've known asian people who take on an American/English name that can make some scratch their heads. I seen first names as a last name. I seen this in California architect registry.

Nov 30, 15 2:57 am  · 
 · 

Lol.. Yes I'm asian. Its easier for untanned people to get a grip of my somewhat complicated named (from intensive experience).

Nov 30, 15 3:18 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Archinect is getting really sad lately, its just full of assholes bashing other people threads....insults after insults, on another note fuck Dave Harry.

Nov 30, 15 3:19 am  · 
 · 

Fuck you too Wutever your name is!!

Nov 30, 15 3:21 am  · 
 · 
midlander

rendering is like 2% of architecture. If you want to open a rendering company, go for it - you don't need a partner to do that. If you want to partner with an architect, you're gonna need to offer more than renderings.

Nov 30, 15 3:31 am  · 
 · 

Its not 2% but I do also provide web design & virtual tours too for big projects. such as http://www.lesfleursdelocean.worldwide.mu

Nov 30, 15 3:34 am  · 
 · 

What's the reason for using two first names?

Ignorance of how English/American names are made. There is a culture of names and how family names are created. For example, the last name or surname is the family name which were either an occupation title like Farmer or Fisher, or Archer, Baker, etc. (occupational surname) or last names based on son of family progenitor like Richardson which is a surname form of "son of Richard" or Harrison being "Son of Harry". Technically a proper surname form of Harry would be Harrison which would mean David B Harrison would be proper name form structure.

Irish decendants may often have a name like O'Patrick (meaning "of Patrick" which is surname to mean a son or daughter of progenitor of family) so an Irish form might be 

David B O'Harry. This would imply Irish background and real Irish people may have a problem with that.

Nov 30, 15 3:38 am  · 
 · 

Thank you for educating me on the culture of names mate. It will be very helpful in the future. I'll change the Harry to Harris.. What does that one mean?

Nov 30, 15 3:42 am  · 
 · 

Dave,

I suspect that is was somewhere a shorten derivative of Harrison or through more complicated derivative of descending from Harry as a family line. Over the history, the name had evolved. Things often are more complicated because Harry is a name that had varied forms in European languages and sometimes when last names from non-English form of last names were Anglicized upon Ellis Island or other stages of immigration. 

I couldn't elaborate all of this as it is more complicated at the detail end but Harris is a last name form.

Nov 30, 15 3:51 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

"I'm pretty new to reddit.. I'm also looking for ideas and collaborators for new business opportunities. I currently own a rendering machine with 40 cores multithreaded for rendering purposes.

I'm looking to collaborate with someone that can come up with the projects (clients). We could work together on the modelling, texturing and the rendering will on my side.

Please propose me a few ideas if anyone is interested..""

You didn't even try to spam properly, you can own as many machines as you want, but can you actually render? What's your quality like when compared to people likedbox, vyonx, hayes Davidson or doug & wolf?

Nov 30, 15 3:52 am  · 
 · 

Good lad.. Thanks a lot Richard.

Nov 30, 15 3:54 am  · 
 · 

I wasn't trying to spam.. just starting conversations.. Its somewhat good wutever your name is. please have a look and let me know what you think. i'm also getting better by the day. http://www.facebook.com/provoquestudio

Nov 30, 15 3:56 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Your images are flat, they lack any flair to them you need postprocessing. Just because someone is an architect doesn't mean they can design a good building same as modelling just cause you can model doesn't mean you can give the image life, anyone can press buttons or move a pencil.

you were obviously trying to spam, why would you say you were new to reddit? this isn't reddit.

Nov 30, 15 3:59 am  · 
 · 

Some people are using psedonyms / alias.

Nov 30, 15 4:00 am  · 
 · 

I'm new to the internet.. Of course they are flat... lol.. Haters will hate.. show us some your so called skills?? you've been looking for so much attention.. you got mine now..

Nov 30, 15 4:05 am  · 
 · 

Richard - Let me assure you all the links I've provided are mine and are all genuine even though I'm using alias. I can prove everything if required mate..

Nov 30, 15 4:10 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: