Archinect
anchor

Having a hard time finding a job.

nm_nm_nm

I graduated recently last year with a bachelors and have been looking for a job since October. I live in nyc so I assume the competition has been tough. Maybe my portfolio is just weak for a bachelors graduate? Or the fact that I only had 1 summer of internship experience? I wouldn't mind doing another internship to get more experience but it seems that most ads say they want someone who is currently in school. im not sure. I've been searching and applying to job ads on archinect/linkedin. specifically junior architect/architectural designer/designer jobs.

I have my portfolio linked below and welcome any tips and critique's on finding a job/improving my portfolio. 

https://drive.google.com/file/...

Jan 28, 24 11:36 am
watermelonsunday

don’t only apply to ads and job postings, just email apply to the firms you like the work of. have you tried networking with your professors from your bachelor’s? or try attending AIA events. competition is tough, it might be about who you know… 

Jan 28, 24 11:48 pm  · 
2  · 
nm_nm_nm

thank you for the advice! I will start doing that this week. I also am planning on attending some AIA events soon to meet people and network more. 

Jan 29, 24 1:48 am  · 
 · 
natematt

For reference, how many firms have you applied to up to this point? 

Jan 29, 24 3:27 am  · 
 · 
nm_nm_nm

About 64 applications. Starting from the end of October until now.

Jan 29, 24 4:18 am  · 
 · 

FYI, October through now is generally a weird time for applying for places. The current economic uncertainty hasn't helped, but it seems to be easing somewhat (based on the amount of inquiries I've had in the last couple of weeks).

Jan 29, 24 12:09 pm  · 
2  · 
natematt

Josh, very true.

Have you been getting any interviews? 

Jan 29, 24 12:42 pm  · 
 · 

I went out on my own. However, my part-time person has been looking for full-time work since I'm not quite there yet with the workload - he's been getting some interviews lately.

Jan 29, 24 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

I was asking NM NM NM, but glad to hear your part time guy is getting attention! :)

Jan 29, 24 6:11 pm  · 
1  · 
nm_nm_nm

No interviews, only automated rejection emails so far.

Jan 29, 24 6:30 pm  · 
 · 
axonapoplectic

reach out to fellow graduates and see if there are any openings at their offices. Some offices offer bonuses to people who help find quality employees (usually if they stick around for 6 months or something).

this is a career where you really need to build and work your network - so do good work, be good to work with, don’t burn any bridges. 

Jan 29, 24 9:16 am  · 
1  · 
nm_nm_nm

Yeah I definitely will. even though I did school in Florida there’s some people I graduated with that are here in NYC too. I’m trying setting up some meetups over coffee this week.

Jan 29, 24 6:31 pm  · 
 · 
pandahut

I also second the motion to just apply to places you enjoy the work of, not ones that just have postings. Sometimes, those firms posting are hiring to help with a job vs. someone that may come along and fit in well because of the personality, Anyways, your portfolio looks pretty solid honestly for someone with a bachelors and I would not change anything. Hang in there, something will pop up at the right time. I see you went to school in FL but in NYC now. It may be worthwhile just applying anywhere if you can swing it in the US. I started my career basically getting an internship out of college (at a great firm) when all of my peers got a straight up job. They ended up bringing me on full time after that and I have zero regrets. Sometimes you have to wiggle your foot into the door before it opens up wide. 

Jan 29, 24 10:35 am  · 
1  · 
nm_nm_nm

Yeah i set up a google sheet today with firms that I like, regardless of an ad or not. I’m going to send emails out and check off the list this week.

Jan 29, 24 6:41 pm  · 
1  · 
nm_nm_nm

Also, thank you for the feedback on the portfolio. And I wouldn’t mind taking another internship at all. Just wanting to get more experience in an office.

Jan 29, 24 6:42 pm  · 
 · 
monosierra

NY is probably one of the most competitive job markets in the world. I think sending one's resume out into the nether wouldn't work in your case - hell, it wouldn't work in most young applicants' cases. Personal networks go a long way - is there an alumni network you can tap into? Professors who can connect you to prospective employers? 

If you're not American, then the hiring incentives are further reduced.

Jan 29, 24 4:07 pm  · 
1  · 
nm_nm_nm

Yeah I’m born in Florida, but have family in NYC and Florida, so I’ve bounced back and forth all my life and decided to live in nyc to be next to my mom and aunt for now.
Jan 29, 24 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
nm_nm_nm

And yeah I’m going meetup with some alumni from my school that work and live in NYC.

Jan 29, 24 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

I got my first architecture job by cold calling every firm in the Yellow Pages (yes, I'm that old) - the firm I ended up at started with "Y".

Jan 29, 24 5:36 pm  · 
6  · 
natematt

Genuine question to people making suggestions about cold applying. Does cold applying at an entry level really work anymore? It didn’t seem to work well when I graduated ten years ago, and I can’t imagine it’s gotten much better.    

Jan 29, 24 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

The quality of random applicants has gone way down in the past decade, so many of us have put up lots of barriers and gatekeeping in self defense. Sad but necessary.

Jan 29, 24 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
nm_nm_nm

Yeah I’ve always heard mixed opinions on it, but applying directly to job ads as been slow so I think
it wouldn’t hurt to try another method.

Jan 29, 24 6:47 pm  · 
1  · 
nm_nm_nm

thank you all for the reply’s and advice. I sincerely appreciate it. Job hunting can be rough as I’m sure you all understand. 

Jan 29, 24 6:49 pm  · 
1  · 
reallynotmyname

Your portfolio looks acceptable, so I don't think it's the issue. Have you had anyone check your resume and cover letter to make sure there are no issues there?

Jan 30, 24 11:37 am  · 
 · 
smaarch

An old timer here. Your portfolio is acceptable in terms of design thought with some qualification. And yes I am in NYC. The reality is you will most likely to be hired to produce construction documents so try to balance your portfolio accordingly.
That said I don't find your execution of construction documents particularly interesting. These are some fairly basic details. Two to be exact. Up the understanding of how to put something together. And the graphics. Your stair / bulkhead detail is not something I would look forward to.
Just an honest assessment and no offense intended.

Jan 31, 24 8:38 pm  · 
1  · 
reallynotmyname

Do you regularly see entry-level candidate portfolios with more construction document work than the OP? I agree that what the OP has are not super-compelling, but most entry level portfolios we get have absolutely zero construction detail content. (and they go in the reject pile for that reason).

Feb 1, 24 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
Jay1122

This is normal. Fresh out of school is always the hardest. Large candidate pools, few openings and no actual job experience. You are competing with all these ivy league graduates and master degree holders across country. About half of fresh arch graduates not go into traditional architecture field and end up taking jobs in other fields. My opinion is that you should apply to jobs down in other locations too. Come back to NYC later with some experience. it's been quite a few months. You are starting to form gaps and have opportunity costs. If you can't land one in a year. I think you should consider other fields. Those CMs I deal with seems to be doing nothing yet making big bucks.

Feb 1, 24 10:46 am  · 
 · 

Jay1122  wrote:

"This is normal. Fresh out of school is always the hardest. Large candidate pools, few openings and no actual job experience." 

I agree - depending on the economy.  If you have a good portfolio  you'll have better odds. 

"You are competing with all these ivy league graduates and master degree holders across country. "

This is pure BS. 

"About half of fresh arch graduates not go into traditional architecture field and end up taking jobs in other fields. "

Have a data to back this up?  I'm not doubting you, I just a haven't been able to find any data stating this. 

"My opinion is that you should apply to jobs down in other locations too. Come back to NYC later with some experience. it's been quite a few months. "

This is good advice 

"You are starting to form gaps and have opportunity costs. If you can't land one in a year. I think you should consider other fields. Possibly. "

You’ll still need experience in those fields. Maybe try looking at other firms instead to get a base experience level.

"Those CMs I deal with seems to be doing nothing yet making big bucks." 

You work with some stupid CM’s or don’t actually know what one dose.  Most architect don't have the skill, knowledge, or experience to be a good CM.  

Feb 1, 24 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
reallynotmyname

We've had some former student interns who have graduated and gone directly in to entry-level assistant project manager roles at CM's after graduation, so it's not impossible. Some are willing to train recent graduates.

Feb 1, 24 12:50 pm  · 
1  · 

really - The key word in your comment is 'some'. I know of a few recent grads in the past 20 years that could become a CM.   Those few also had CM minors in addition to their B Arch or M Arch. They are the exception though. I've found that most recent grads don't have the construction, contracts, detailing, or CA experience to function as a CM.

Feb 1, 24 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
Jay1122

LOL Chad, you have not seen the applications we received for entry level jobs. You could easily get hundreds of applications to one job openings. Usually its the ivy league master degree holders that gets selected for interview first. Now I don't have solid data about how many goes into traditional field neither do I care. It was a comment I heard from my Arch school principal. Anyway it is more of an expression rather than data. And it is not a bad thing. Many arch related jobs have better hours and better pay. The CM I work with, they work for a public government agency with a couple thousand employees. That says it all. Got a project that is 1 year behind the contract substantial date. Still stalling. No consequences. Always excuses from the GC. Not much real efforts from CM too. Small renovation jobs though, so it is not like the building is not opening. Those, they put real man powers on.

Feb 2, 24 10:16 am  · 
 · 

Jay - so you have antidotal 'experience' with this and think it's common. Got it.

Feb 2, 24 10:47 am  · 
 · 
Jay1122

Whatever dude. Maybe give OP some actual advice instead of being the forum police and pick on every sentence someone wrote.

Feb 2, 24 10:58 am  · 
1  · 

I'm trying to provide the OP with actual advice and just not the limited personal experience of someone working a dead end position due to lack of skill or talent.

Feb 2, 24 11:05 am  · 
 · 

Why are you both fighting on this most holy of days? Bill Murray would be so disappointed.

Feb 2, 24 11:11 am  · 
3  · 

Wait, what day is it? I ask cuz I've been working for 31 days straight and only get out of the office to ski and climb.

Also, this isn't a fight.  Just Jay giving bad advice from a position of jealousy.  

Feb 2, 24 11:14 am  · 
 · 
whistler

All my jobs were gained through networking, word of mouth and cold calling. I am not a social animal either so I was not being aggressive just focused a curated group of offices who I felt were a good fit and I had skill they would need and appreciate. Randomly dropping off resumes is not a successful strategy and anybody who attempts that to gain employment in office doesn't gain much traction.

Feb 1, 24 1:46 pm  · 
4  · 
star_sc

Great portfolio! I am also a recent grad (May 23) and have been looking since October. I think my portfolio may be on the weaker side compared to yours, but I also agree that networking is a huge part of breaking in for entry level. I have also looked for internship roles and everything I’ve seen is current student roles.

Feb 5, 24 3:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: