Archinect
anchor

what are some of your guys' opinions on modern organic architecture?

samchitect

Hello everyone, 

My name is Sam, I'm a highschool student in France and am currently working on a project on architectural movements, mainly focusing on "organic architecture" from the 70s. In my project, I was asked to get in contact with an American partner to help me throughout my research. I dont expect anybody to accompany me throughout the project, but if you want to, please let me know so i can give you my contact info. 

I found quite a lot of information online about organic architecture, such as its history, evolution and main architects but lack real opinions. I do like the style in general but i want to know what real world architects think of it. Is it nice to design but very hard to carry out such a project? Do everyday people ask for houses like that? is there an even better type of architecture in your opinion, and what is it? I'm open to all ideas and unpopular opinions.

To keep track of who responds, please tell me your name and where you work.

Thank you all in advance!

Oct 24, 23 12:58 pm
Non Sequitur

Here's an unpopular opinion:  I've never heard of or seen any organic architecture movement from that time period.  Got any examples?

You will need to be much more specific about the people and projects if you want to get anything.  There is nothing to comment when your statement is this vague.

Oct 24, 23 3:23 pm  · 
2  ·  2
archanonymous

Organic Architecture from the 70's? 

I'm guessing like Ant Farm or the like. That was a pretty short-lived movement. Maybe you can find the common thread linking it to more contemporary examples of organic architecture. How many degrees of separation from Ant Farm to Amanda Levete?

Oct 25, 23 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
Kinsbergen

I am positively surprised that an American knows Amanda Levete.

Oct 26, 23 11:46 pm  · 
 · 
chris-chitect

While it's not quite architecture, there's the spiral jetty completed in 1970.

Also, it might be a bit of a stretch, but the Willis Building by Norman Foster in Ipswich feels a tiny bit organic to me. I think it was done from 1970-75. The shape is really just responding to the property shape, but it broke free from the rigid grid like shape of office buildings at the time. 

As for houses, the Earthship movement was coming around the 1970s. Some of these are truly ugly in my opinion, but there might be a few nice examples out there.

My overall opinion is that I'm not really a fan of organic architecture as little to no furniture, appliances and supplies integrate well. Modern processes like 3d printing will help, but I still prefer living in a box. 

Oct 25, 23 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
Thewes

Hello Sam,

I would be happy to help you out and point you in the right direction. There were plenty of Frank Lloyd Wright and Bruce Goff apprentices producing great work around that time.

Feel free to email me at ryan@ryanthewes.com

Thanks. 

Ryan Thewes

Nashville, Tennessee

Oct 26, 23 1:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: