Archinect
anchor

Hidden rooms

bowling_ball

I used to work in a building built as a bootlegging warehouse during the prohibition. I also recently visited a residence my firm designed that contained a full-on panic room, hidden behind a bookshelf in a hallway. Lastly, we designed a hidden vertical escape route through a house for somebody we're pretty sure it's a drug smuggler... Antibody here ever been involved in something similar? Hidden tunnel? Panic room? Escape hatch?

Jul 2, 16 2:19 am
shellarchitect

Building a secret bookshelf door for my daughter's basement playroom, will be activated by a fake book which will also set of a tone on the main floor so we can keep track of where she is

Jul 2, 16 8:03 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

off the prayer room through a bookshelf a 12" thick heavily reinforced concrete bunker structure on CADS that said it was in the state of MN, but was really being built in TN, but who knows...

in NYC it's quite common for hidden passage ways in older Park Ave like apartments, this was just so that the help had a route to disappear and re-appear when needed.

Jul 2, 16 8:22 am  · 
 · 
Flatfish

Yes, in most of the residential projects I've worked on there's been some hidden component - ranging from a small room to a whole sub-basement.  I've also worked on government project with a large hidden components.  These are projects I've enjoyed working on, but for obvious reasons I can't use them in my portfolio, except some of the details.

Jul 2, 16 9:57 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Ahhh, super interesting everyone, thanks for sharing. I've been in plenty of homes with semi-hidden stairs as described above, some quite a bit narrower than 2 feet. (Sorry for the spelling mistakes/auto correct of my original post, I wrote it after a long night of celebrating Canada Day. I'm just glad i didn't say anything embarrassing...)

Jul 2, 16 10:12 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Interesting topic.  One reason I enjoyed Panic Room (aside from the fact that it was pretty good) is that it attempted to treat that four-story townhouse almost as a distinct character.  Many shots tried to indicate circulation, vertical section, and plan layout that's fairly true to that building type... and also important to the plot.

Jul 2, 16 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

A friend of a friend is building their own place up in the mountains. Complete with secret room and escape hatch. They're calling it their "rasta room"... should give you an idea of what will go on in there...

Jul 2, 16 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

^ Making noodles and marinara sauce?

Jul 2, 16 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Designed a secret room for a bajillionaire. I think it was for sexy time, not panics.
Jul 4, 16 2:49 pm  · 
 · 

@gruen is that like a dungeon?

Jul 4, 16 3:28 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: