Archinect
anchor

CPBD exam specifications under review by NCBDC.

eeayeeayo

Good lord.  I go away for a few days and come back to ....this!

Rick think this through and tell me:  WHY are you still responding in this thread?  Nothing good can come of it.  You''ve apparently already been reported all over the state, upheld your reputation as the village fool at city hall, probably caused the downfall of this community theater company, and at every turn you add more evidence that you're an idiot.

Everybody on this forum knows you're an idiot.  You've put so much evidence of your idiocy in this one thread that there's absolutely nothing you can ever write that will ever convince anybody otherwise.

You've also put so much evidence of your idiocy in one place that anybody who ever googles you for the rest of your life will find this.  Besides idiocy you also demonstrate in this thread: ineptitude in construction and management, ignorance of code issues and building systems components, that you're a liar, that you have no regard for the safety or lives of anybody else, and that you'll toss your own client under the bus for wrongs that you do.

You've also created the greatest record the state board could ever hope to receive of proof that you practiced and continue to practice architecture without a license. You steadfastly insist that you were the designer of this nightmare, and you personally provided photos that prove that the building is not exempt.   I counted the bricks too and the lowest number I can possibly get, even when I willfully ignore the clear existence of four of the bricks just on the basis of giving you the benefit of the doubt, is 55 bricks.  What possible defense is there to that?   They added height to the building, without your authorization?  These bricks aren't standard, and neither are the CMU blocks with which they exactly align? Somebody doctored the photos to appear to show more bricks, before posting them on the theater's Facebook page?

May 5, 16 7:27 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Richard Balkins you do realize that you are most the time wrong.

May 5, 16 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

RB almost had the last word.  then olaf had to mess it all up.

oh, then RB came back and had the last word!  woot!  thread can end now!

oops, i have the last word now.  RB needs to get in at least one more parting shot, then off to reddit

May 5, 16 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Richard, my bet is you have been wrong about most things most your life, you are living proof. Ha Curt, I get last statement.

May 5, 16 7:39 pm  · 
 · 

eeayoeeayo,

Just come on over to Astoria, and I'll measure the damn building right in front of you. I'll even count the bricks in front of you on the image and possibly in the building.

Either that or you are not counting them right by recounting several bricks twice by not paying attention to things.

May 5, 16 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

last word

May 5, 16 7:47 pm  · 
 · 
anonitect

Olaf should get the last word.

May 5, 16 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Rick, did you really design the theater?  If so please provide proof.  If not please shut the fuck up.  

May 5, 16 7:58 pm  · 
 · 

This isn't about the building at all. Exempt or not. 

This is really a target at me. Yes, I agree I should have done more effort at pressing on some of these HSW issues. 

In schematic design phase, I told the client that they'll need to obtain permission for temporarily using portable restrooms. Some stuff was to be deferred to phase 2. This was to be multiple phases. Phase 1 was to get the theater operational. Phase 2 was to deal with stuff deferred like some of the ADA stuff, the restrooms, etc. As for the stage, it was suppose to have either sprinklers or it has the drywall installed.  It has been several years but I think I recall seeing the drywall sheets installed on the front stem wall of the stage. Then they installed the finish cover. That's going from memory. I just can't 100% confirm it without checking.

May 5, 16 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

balkans on archinect, balkans at the building department, balkans at the OBAE, balkans at life?

http://www.memecenter.com/fun/113961/Epic-Kangaroo

May 5, 16 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

target? target? next you will tell us the illuminati made your AIBD certificate lapse, not your fault, the illuminati!!!!!!! last word?

May 5, 16 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

and that was hilarious no-form but it said my Android phone now has 13 viruses, thans brah. k4l

May 5, 16 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
eeayeeayo

Rick how did you get involved with this project in the first place?  How did the theater group know you or know to contact you?

Why did they need a designer at all?  It sounds like they had several engineers, a contractor, and a person associated with the theater who could provide insight into theater-specific issues.   And why were they paying all these engineers and contractor, but they didn't pay you?

And what exactly did you do for them that they couldn't have done perfectly well without your help?  You have said a few times in this thread that if it weren't for you they wouldn't have been able to open and they would have gone out of business - but then you say you had nothing to do with the mechanical system, or the sprinklers, or pulling the permit, or providing construction administration, - so what exactly did you do that anyone coulldn't have done?  It seems odd to me that they wouldn't have just sat down with the contractor and the theater person and come up with a plan.

This has the feeling of you someone somehow foisting you off on this theater group - not of them seeking you out.  Does one of your parents have some connection to this theater group? Or was your CAD professor or someone else at the community college the one that referred you?  Are you sure the theater actually wanted your involvement?

May 5, 16 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

lol..apologies...the things we do for kangaroos... k4l!

eeayeeayo, my thought is that it was someone from his church throwing him bone to make him feel special.  they probably politely listened to him and looked at his drawings.  then they crumpled it all up and called the professionals as they intended to the entire time.  or yes, maybe one of his parents is in the group or a family member.  

May 5, 16 8:27 pm  · 
 · 
nicholass817

Has anyone considered that Balkins is severely mentally or physically handicapped, and the people on this forum are bullies for not just appeasing his stupidity?  Has anyone actually met him?  Or, maybe we are all being 'catfished' by a really, really bored 1500 pound Balkins that will have to be hoisted out of his house when his mom can't bring him food in the basement anymore.  

May 5, 16 8:44 pm  · 
 · 

eeayeeayo,

Because the engineers won't do the other design. They weren't even commissioned until they had started the permit process. They had a contractor but the contractor didn't want to do the design. Architects didn't want to do the project. So without even going through design, they didn't get to that phase.

When it comes to pulling permits, the client and contractors does that NOT the architect. ARCHITECTS DON'T PULL THE PERMITS FOR CLIENTS. That is NOT how the permit process works. The forms are filled out by the "client" or owner.

That is how this stuff works.

I began pre-design in mid to late August 2007 including a site visit for looking at the existing conditions. The design process began in mid/late-September 2007 and the engineers began being involved around December 2007 - February 2008. Drawings were worked on until end of October when I handed the DDs for review by the client.

One of the guys at the Astor Street Opry Company knew me. The engineers were MEPF. The contractor was paid and the plumber was subcontracted. They didn't secure an architect because the architects said no. It probably wasn't until the recession that architects were desperate enough for projects to even design an addition with restrooms. 

Even when I try to bring any of them on the project before real design even begun, they said no. They also didn't want to do the work pro bono.

Between September and late December, they had already started secure some money. 

May 5, 16 9:17 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

Idk about the rest of you, but i think doing this theater project would be pretty fun.  i'm pretty sure architects in Clatsop County aren't that busy they would turn it down; same for outside the county.  however, if an RFQ from balkans came across my desk i'd throw holy water on it. that may be why no architect would touch it.

May 5, 16 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
eeayeeayo

The question was not "why did they not hire a real architect".  It was: why did they need a designer at all?  WHAT did you actually do for them that they needed a designer for?  

Of course the architects said no to the project.  It's an unpaid project for an inexperienced large-group client, and fraught with code issues.  

I didn't say architects pull permits.  I said YOU did not pull the permit, among the many other things you did not do.  My point is that there is not one thing on this project for which the theater needed you.  They had the contractor to help them pull the permits, and engineers to do the mechanical and fire protection, and the theater people to figure out what the theater's needs were, and an artist who could draw  - so WHAT did you do that they couldn't have done without you?  I understand that you painted a wall and watched some framing happen - but those tasks don't support your claim that without you this project wouldn't have been finished and the theater would have gone out of business.

May 5, 16 9:34 pm  · 
 · 

Why would I pull the permits for them? Only the client is authorized to pull permits for the project. The artist just drew a pretty picture. That's all. They knew nothing about planning for code requirements.

Here is one of my early schematic concept I did way back then. Formatted for 8.5" x 11" sheets. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lmxsjkzh1cuglol/asoc-b2-Layout1.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bu6tjj9vfjkhgen/asoc-b2-Layout2.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f8hzhi7w28vyfo5/asoc-b2-Layout3.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ucbn314qijsdmgw/asoc-b2-Layout4.pdf?dl=0

The scale would be awkward but I didn't format them for submittal.

In those, the section / interior elevation wasn't done yet.

More of the problems was the result of the contractor screwing up several things. Yes, there were some things that are not correct or otherwise in the schematic. Do note, the line outlining the portable restrooms does not represent a wall It represents a possible canopy abutting (not affixed to connected in any way to the building) the building. Yes, the porta potties dimensions are not correct. I didn't worry about that then.

The actual dimensions of the building is off a little bit.

I do know the front doors were not outswinging. I had concerns about outswinging into the public right-of-way. Subsequently, I had the exit planned to be recessed from the exterior wall a little bit by 3-ft.

Some of the problems was in fact the result of the contractor muckying up stuff in the last phase. I had a few variations in concept phases but they weren't meant to be CDs.  

Looking at it, it seems that I have been recalling the height of the stage wrong. It's 24" tall. I hadn't looked at the plans since 2008. Yes, it is in fact 24" so it even further support the exempt building height in scale. For some reason, I thought it was 32" tall because of the trap door and crawl space. 16" tall stem walls with 2x8 joists over them. Photos and everything would still jive with the 24" stage height. 

May 5, 16 10:37 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

i pull permits all the time for clients. i do like 50 to 60 jobs a year........but yeah out in podunk the GC does..........what is your malfunction Balkins?

May 5, 16 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
eeayeeayo

Rick the stage is not 24 inches tall.  You can see in the photos that it has too many risers for that to be true.

For the 3rd time:  I didn't say there's any reason for you to pull permits.  The point was that ALL the tasks that they would need ANYBODY for were done by somebody OTHER THAN you.  Get it now?

These drawings have even more code problems than have already been discussed in this thread.  

May 5, 16 11:06 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

"They knew nothing about planning for code requirements." that also applies to you balk-erino.  

you know nothing...call up your travel planner, go to the outback, snap some kangaroo photos, check out the opera house, try surfing, and enjoy your life.  right now you're digging your own grave and ASOC's with all your never ending defense of something YOU DIDN'T DO.  

May 5, 16 11:09 pm  · 
 · 

Those drawings weren't for permits in the first place.

4 risers? Come on.

6" risers.... how many 6" rises goes into 24" ?

May 5, 16 11:16 pm  · 
 · 

no_form,

I would have flat out punch you in the face, knock your ass out and throw your ass on a boat outgoing to Shanghai. 

Good thing you aren't near me.

May 5, 16 11:17 pm  · 
 · 
eeayeeayo

You can't put 20 to 25 chairs in a row unless you have space to have 3 foot clear aisles between the rows of chairs, from front edge of one row to back of the next.  If you have less than that you're not allowed to have more than 14 chairs per row if you have code-compliant aisles at both end, or 7 chairs in a row if you only have a code compliant aisle at one end.

May 5, 16 11:19 pm  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

"I do know the front doors were not outswinging. I had concerns about outswinging into the public right-of-way"

what is this candyland bullshit.   you are going to get people killed.  I have doors open onto the public right of way all the time.  your front doors are NOT an exit if they swing in!  you have a fraction of the required egress width, say nothing of the fact that people in the benches/office/bar are now too far from an exit and will most likely die in the event of a major fire.  

I'll be writing the AIBD, OBAE, and the building inspection office in Astoria tomorrow.  I'll post a copy so other people can write as well.  You are a liability and are the very thing the licensed practice of architecture exists to protect against. 

May 5, 16 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

"Doors shall swing in the direction of egress travel"

May 5, 16 11:24 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

You're drawings look awful, too.  Almost as if you've never seen good CAD work or real sketches, CAD or otherwise

May 5, 16 11:31 pm  · 
 · 

Dangermouse, 

Yes, this was an early conceptual plans.

That had been revised since that time. I had proposed already since that had proposed an outgoing door that would be recessed from the actual front wall plane by 3-ft. 

May 5, 16 11:32 pm  · 
 · 
This has gotten quite sad. This dumpster fire roared, and now has taken over the neighboring non-compliant theater. The kangaroo petting zoo next door was saved due to following code.
May 5, 16 11:35 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

"no_form,

I would have flat out punch you in the face, knock your ass out and throw your ass on a boat outgoing to Shanghai. 

Good thing you aren't near me."

Richard WC Balkins, Professional Ass Kicker.  

A trip to Shanghai sounds fun.  Since I have an actual job I may have money to do that soon. enjoy mommy and daddy's basement.

May 5, 16 11:38 pm  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

"Yes, this was an early conceptual plans"

"had proposed already since that had proposed "

May 5, 16 11:39 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

lol mings, thankfully a competent architect designed a UL listed wall assembly to protect those marsupials from harms way.  

May 5, 16 11:40 pm  · 
 · 

Yes, the drawings weren't pretty. It was for communicating with ASOC's board showing an early draft of the layout.

May 5, 16 11:40 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

balkin's early conceptual plan 

May 5, 16 11:58 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Rick, just start a damn business that is less complicated. What's with your obsession over being an architect? It dosent really seem like you even have an interest in architecture.  Why not become something else?

May 6, 16 12:11 am  · 
 · 
He might be trying to pick up the ladies, jla. Ladies love architects, or so I'm told. They don't love this one so much.
May 6, 16 12:53 am  · 
 · 

jla-x,

I'm not pursuing architectural license because I'm not interested in living in Portland for the rest of my life and have a student loan that will take 500 years to pay off because University is far too overpriced.

I have probably measured this building even through the photos about 25 TIMES with over several different points of reference points.

Here you guys are accusing me of criminal intent and all this other crap like that. You even complain about a quick schematic floor plan for a spatial planning done ~9 years ago. 

I wasn't going to propose opening an opaque door right into a public sidewalk.

If you haven't noticed, even businesses with one single door in and out opens into the building but also is exit. The stage might be 24-26" tall but the controlling factor for the exact height was the back stage (1980s era addition floor level). The reason that's the controlling height is for floor alignment to the back stage. I didn't wanted to be sure stage to backstage was ADA compliant. 

As for quitting building design or even architecture as a pursuit... no, I don't do that shit. Tenacity is a trait I have so I'm told. 

May 6, 16 1:17 am  · 
 · 

He might be trying to pick up the ladies, jla. Ladies love architects, or so I'm told. They don't love this one so much.

That's something you might be on to.

May 6, 16 1:19 am  · 
 · 

"I do know the front doors were not outswinging. I had concerns about outswinging into the public right-of-way"

what is this candyland bullshit.   you are going to get people killed.  I have doors open onto the public right of way all the time.  your front doors are NOT an exit if they swing in!  you have a fraction of the required egress width, say nothing of the fact that people in the benches/office/bar are now too far from an exit and will most likely die in the event of a major fire.  

I'll be writing the AIBD, OBAE, and the building inspection office in Astoria tomorrow.  I'll post a copy so other people can write as well.  You are a liability and are the very thing the licensed practice of architecture exists to protect against. 

Not when the door is opaque. Anyway, it ended up being just that. Open into the right of way.

In that early schematic, I had concerns of that. I had subsequently talked to the city about the door opening up into the right-of-way (public sidewalk). I was aiming for recessing the door from the public right-of-way about 3-ft. so that when the door is open, it would not open into the actual sidewalk. The sidewalk was about 7'-6" so I was concern about encroaching it by that much that there is less than 5-ft. of sidewalk with the door open. Generally, I don't like doors encroaching public sidewalks unless the sidewalk is 10-ft. wide.

If you tell me about ways of how to do it without encroaching. GUESS WHAT! I already know that by now. I already have figured that out. I didn't want to encroach the sidewalk unless the City was okay with it. Switching the direction of the door on the plans is easy shit.

May 6, 16 1:31 am  · 
 · 
no_form
"I'm not interested in living in Portland for the rest of my life."

So small minded. You can move where ever you want. No one said you have to live in Portland.
May 6, 16 1:42 am  · 
 · 
arch76

Rick-

You should advise the client reverse the swing on the double doors plan south to swing out so they can act more like an actual egress door- otherwise, the shown egress doors on the plan east and west side of the Table-Seats area may not be adequately separated for an unsprinklered building (S 1015.2.1)- Is the main seating area, cmu seating area, sprinklered?

Other than that, ADA issues should put a lawsuit fear into all involved parties.

Other than that, the code issues- numerous and well documented in this thread, should put a lawsuit fear into all involved parties

Other than that, rock on with the support of the renegade arts. Throwing a bathroom onto that building will be an interesting challenge...

maybe a archinect competition...seems the crew around here has some spare time and energy- bonus points for attached kangaroo petting zoo and rehabilitation zones.

May 6, 16 2:27 am  · 
 · 
arch76

Balkanizing Astoria, one renegade theater at a time.

May 6, 16 2:34 am  · 
 · 

arch76,

First thing to be clear: As the plans is oriented.... the north is bottom, south is up, east is on left side and west is right side. Just saying that for clarity sake. 

The double doors on the north side was changed to a single door. The door has been made to a out-swinging door. I didn't particular like that call. It isn't an issue of the door out-swinging but the issue of encroaching the public sidewalk but it ended up being done that way. The city was okay with it from my understanding so I didn't fuss over it any further.

The door on the west side was not installed. During design development, that egress was not done because it would trigger more stringent and more costly structural upgrades. It was a window bay. The window on the NW corner was not so much an issue as it is with the other windows. It was probably originally a door and they added like two rows of CMUs like it was on the store front (north facade). It might be something I would consider proposing as an egress from the lighting control booth if the office/souvenir office function was moved to another location (even in an addition or detached but new structure adjacent to this one.

The whole 4000 sq.ft. building structure had been sprinklered. Since I didn't do the sprinkler plans, I can't say if the stage was I wasn't there for most of when the sprinklers was installed. It was done near the end of the project and I was kind of kept out of the loop on this phase.

Some of the changes included re-designation of some of the rooms in the Back Stage. The Costume area was moved to the far left. The women dressing room in the middle and the men dressing on the far right or something like that. Which one was men and women dressing doesn't really matter in this case so much. The exit on the left side (north wall) was changed to a window and the door in what is labeled Costume area on the early schematic was changed to a window and the door was moved to the right at the egress opening into an existing concrete slab on the SW corner. 

The bathroom was resized into an ADA compliant bathroom in the design development revising process. The backstage was effective limited to occupant load of 49 or less. Through calculation, that is occupant load and maximum for it all. However, if they exceed it, it is non-compliant. If they are to continue to do that, I would propose a door in the Costume Area's new location on the EAST (left hand) side of the "Backstage". 

Some changes on the stage design included recessing the steps on the left hand side The steps on the right hand side was removed but some design reworking allowed a means to move the musicians on to the right hand side of the stage. 

Yes, the CMU area is sprinklered as well as the "Backstage". 

There is some ADA issues that would need to be resolved in the long run. 

May 6, 16 3:46 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Rick, if Josh is right and you just want to pick up ladies why not become a male stripper...you can perform at your theater...do the whole Aussie thing with a boomerang and some kangaroos on the stage...just NO pyrotechnics...that place is a death trap. 

May 6, 16 3:47 am  · 
 · 

jla-x,

tsk. tsk. Bad man... bad. 

May 6, 16 3:48 am  · 
 · 

Dangermouse,

We had already set the egress to out-swing to the sidewalk. While I wanted the door(s) recessed from the wall line so the door would not project into the sidewalk. 

You then say I have a fraction of the required egress width. There was redesigning done even by me since that point. 

http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/icod/ibc/2009f2cc/icod_ibc_2009f2cc_10_sec005.htm

http://www2.iccsafe.org/states/oregon/07_structural/07_PDFs/Chapter%2010_Means%20of%20Egress.pdf

How is my egress too small?

Occupant load x 0.2 = egress width.

What in hell occupant load are you basing on? 

What's the egress travel path limits? Cite code sections.

May 6, 16 4:27 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

As for quitting building design or even architecture as a pursuit... no, I don't do that shit. Tenacity is a trait I have so I'm told. - Richard Balkins....you forgot another trait of yours: STUPID........... look maybe you actually are legally qualified as some form of retarded and we are all assholes here for pointing this out, but the fact is no handicap person in a wheel chair will ever make a great Firefighter, just physically impossible, just like you will never have the mental capacity to be even a half decent building designer. Failure, it happenns to us all but you just seem to deny it more. You are a failure as a con artist architect and now a failure as a human being for putting peoples lives at risk because of your ego. Failure. repeat after me. Failure. now move on to something you are good at, like internet trolling. i will be invoicing you for this legal and psychological consultation. Failure......and Good Morning!

May 6, 16 6:40 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Richard you might have a shot at being a building department examiner, maybe clerk?

May 6, 16 6:42 am  · 
 · 
poop876

Olaf,

yes, perfect, because it seems only idiots welcome me at the counter every time.

Egress doors can swing in, if your occupancy is less than 50 people. So many internet architects!

May 6, 16 7:06 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: