Archinect
anchor

CPBD exam specifications under review by NCBDC.

Non Sequitur

May 4, 16 9:26 am  · 
 · 
JeromeS

I don't know why we are counting bricks, when a tape measure will do.  Its a one story building.  As discussed, you can snake a tape and measure everything.

May 4, 16 9:27 am  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

So by your logic Rick, unless I identify myself publicly on this internet forum I don't need to report you to the board?  That doesn't make any sense  There is no law that says I need to do that on this forum. But there is a law that says that if I'm a licensed architect I must report situations of professional misconduct or imminent danger to HSW, and I believe in my professional judgement that such a situation exists, so how do you figure that means I have a choice about reporting it?  You've left no choice.

Let's say somebody gets hurt there, and as part of the discovery process in your trial the transcript of this thread is obtained, and the IP addresses of those posting are subpoenaed.  If that happens and those of us who are licensed in that state are found to have known about this and done nothing, that's our licenses on the line, if not worse.

Now, it is possible that it's true that you had nothing to do with this building at all, other than help with a bit of volunteer carpentry and painting - in which case it will be up to you to prove that to OBAE.  I can't take that chance, because by your own statements you were the designer of this thing.

I'm not in OR now so I can't run over there and measure.  I'm considering hiring a task rabbit to go do it, and another to document it on video - I want to get my report to OBAE over with in one shot, with all supporting documentation.  All I can do is go from the engineers' drawings, which seem to exactly match my count of bricks too, and you seem to be off by as much as a foot or more. Count them yourself from your interior photos - I'm getting 60 bricks per pilaster.

May 4, 16 9:57 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Being that The Goonies was set in Astoria OR I would really like to see a sequel with all this great drama woven into the story.  

May 4, 16 9:58 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

If you get Data from the Goonies over there he can use his " Pinchers of peril" to pull himself up and measure it.  

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pwDOTz-UWq0

May 4, 16 10:01 am  · 
 · 
no_form
Balkins if you want to be accurate you need to get a ladder and measure each brick from a select part of the elevation you think is right. I'd recommend purchasing a digital dial caliper that way you know you have exact dimensions.
May 4, 16 10:38 am  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

i think the real story is that balkans finally posted a project, its a code shitshow, some digging reveals that he had nothing to do with the project, and he is still arguing that his non-involvement produced a compliant building

May 4, 16 10:43 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

^yes he was involved through osmosis

May 4, 16 10:54 am  · 
 · 

Sponty,

There's not 60 bricks in the pilasters. That's is like saying the pilasters goes all the way up to the height of the exterior walls including parapets.

Sorry, the ground around the building doesn't slope that much in any axis. 

There's only 3 rows of bricks above the ~9' tall garage door frame (R.O.). Note: The garage door area is a nominally high spot. The floor sloped up a little bit to the garage door "threshold".

Even then, there are only 3 bricks above the garage door rough opening for a 9' tall garage door. That doesn't support 60 bricks.

May 4, 16 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
Me talk building.
May 4, 16 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

shut the fuck up balkans, stop trying to defend the involvement you didn't have with the project,

May 4, 16 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

this thread is going to be study material for psychiatrists

May 4, 16 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Didn't look at the pictures...

But 9'-0" RO for the masonry opening at the garage door?  And this thing supposedly courses on module? 

May 4, 16 2:45 pm  · 
 · 

Actually about 9'-4" RO height and then the garage door is framed within. (Garage doors were removed subsequently it was completely framed in.

May 4, 16 4:00 pm  · 
 · 

That's the vertical height not the width. 

May 4, 16 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

The former garage door opening is visible in photos on the theater's facebook page.  If that opening is 10 feet tall then most of the theater company is 5'-0" tall or less, which seems a little unlikely though I suppose not entirely impossible.  In the interior photos I counted 60 rows of brick from floor to underside of truss.  I tend to doubt that you can tell from the photos Rick - because in previous threads you've said that things that were clearly visible to the rest of us were not visible to you (the lower pedestrian deck around the edgeless hotel pool is an example that comes to mind).  You commodore just doesn't have the resolution to count bricks.  But dude, aren't you in walking distance to that theater?  Just go over there sometime while it's open for an event and count the bricks if you doubt me.  I'm going to send somebody there to photograph them clearly, and get a floor to ceiling height.  Somebody who can operate a tape measure and do arithmetic with some modicum of reliability.

May 4, 16 4:24 pm  · 
 · 

Spontaneous,

The stage height is 32".  That's 2'-6". The garage door opening was totally framed in. That's not an egress anymore. However, photos from before can indicate what it was and the photos after still indicated the opening outline of where the garage door was. No one is going to try to go out that opening because the opening was enclosed. 

Sponty, I don't know if I should take you seriously because even your comments are becoming ridiculous. 

Do you think I am using a Commodore 64 to view these photos?

May 4, 16 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

The stage height is 32".  That's 2'-6"

Nope.

May 4, 16 4:34 pm  · 
 · 

I'll head over there and measure. Maybe we can coordinate the measurements so we can verify things. If you have someone there, maybe its convenient for them to schedule at the same time. Your guy would be a neutral party, right?

This way, he can also document to you and verify documentation. 

How's about that?

May 4, 16 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

Rick you're misunderstanding.  The former garage door opening is visible on the exterior of the building.  The height of the stage and whether anyone would or wouldn't try to egress through it is entirely irrelevant.  There are numerous photos of cast members standing outside the building near that former opening, and they are only about half the height of that opening, or in some cases less than that. I strongly doubt that opening is only 9'-0" tall.

Rick do you even know how many inches are in 9'-0"?  I don't want you to tell me how many inches.  My question is whether you can get the right answer in your head, in under 10 seconds, without any googling, research, books, calculators, counting on your fingers, etc. - pure brain power, 10 seconds or less.  My guess is that you cannot.

May 4, 16 4:38 pm  · 
 · 

tduds,

I was referring to the height of stage from top of stage to floor. Sorry if that confused you.

May 4, 16 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

32 inches does not equal 2'-6".  Are you starting to see how these math errors accumulate?  This is exactly why you think the building is several inches shorter than it is.

May 4, 16 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I've been, and continue to be, confused since the first post of this thread.

May 4, 16 4:43 pm  · 
 · 

Sponty,

You just said what I said already.

108-inches for 9-ft.

CMU are in 8" (nom.) units. It requires an opening of 14 rows of CMUs in the vertical axis. It's 112-inches opening. 

2x4 or 2x6 at the top and some 'threshold' at the bottom can make up the difference in height between 9'-4" RO height and 9'-0" clear opening height.

May 4, 16 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

Rick it's a taller opening than that.

If the opening is 112 inches tall then the people standing on the ground in the opening should be more than half the height of the opening - at least most of them, wouldn't you think?  But most of them are not.  Which is why I believe it to be a taller opening.  That and the fact that there are 60 courses of brick on the interior.

May 4, 16 4:48 pm  · 
 · 

Sorry, I mean 2'-8" but all this going back and forth with numbers is literally giving me a bad fucking headache Sponty. 

May 4, 16 4:49 pm  · 
 · 

The stage is 32" from floor to sheathing height.

May 4, 16 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

... and that is exactly why you shouldn't be a building designer.  People suited for the job do not get headaches from grade school arithmetic. 

May 4, 16 4:51 pm  · 
 · 

Rick is reminding me of the girl I dated while I was in New Orleans, the one that was a New Orleans native yet didn't know the Mississippi River ran through the city.

May 4, 16 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

Are you a licensed surveyor, Balkins?

Nope.

Your measurements mean shit.

Now, a licensed architect providing field measurements does work in some states...

Way out of your league brah.

May 4, 16 4:54 pm  · 
 · 

Also this:

May 4, 16 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
Fivescore

Rick you're hilarious.  10 pages or so ago people were warning you to STOP! - Stop because you are just getting yourself deeper and deeper in trouble.  And stop because anybody who googles you, or googles building designers in Oregon, or AIBD or NCBDCBDeeBeeDoo is going to find THIS!  I couldn't imagine anyone hiring you before, but now that you've generated the world's record for math mistakes and kangaroos in a single thread you might have some viability as a guest on Dr. Phil or something.

May 4, 16 5:04 pm  · 
 · 

I can confirm to you from two photos from two of the pilasters in the middle they will be ~48-1/2 bricks.

The pilasters for all the trusses are on the same elevation plane (more or less). 

May 4, 16 5:11 pm  · 
 · 

Sponty,

... and that is exactly why you shouldn't be a building designer.  People suited for the job do not get headaches from grade school arithmetic. 

On top of this, I have a nerve in a tooth that's bothering me at the moment.

May 4, 16 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
Fivescore

You can confirm it how?  You can't count. Provide proof.  Which reminds me:  where are your drawings that prove you were involved with this project in SD or DD?

May 4, 16 5:15 pm  · 
 · 

On top of this, I have a nerve in a tooth that's bothering me at the moment.

So pop some Advil and go to the dentist? Seems easy to fix, unlike the last 12 pages.

May 4, 16 5:24 pm  · 
 · 

From the heal of the truss, you can count down to a point. 

Then you go to this photo below and count down from the same brick row plane. Since you can see the CMU's better, you can also gauge the determine that there 3" bricks for every CMU or 8" nominal units of height.

This kind of supports my argument still.

May 4, 16 5:33 pm  · 
 · 

Josh, 

I have taken an aspirin. It comes and goes.

May 4, 16 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

Rick that's how I counted bricks yesterday.  I counted 60 rows too, give or take.  Isn't this building near you? For heaven's sake just shut up about it and go there and measure it.  No more eyeballing it. But take somebody with you who can check your technique and your math.

May 4, 16 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
JBeaumont

I called the theater and asked about the history of the theater design at that site.  I didn't mention Richard and neither did she - she said from what she could remember an artist named "Joanie" drew the design.

May 4, 16 8:30 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

^ Wow, that's crazy.  Rick, it's time to come clean man.  Just tell the damn truth for once.  Did you or did you not design the theater?  

May 4, 16 8:40 pm  · 
 · 

I am sure this is more about irritating me and consuming my time on this thread (than the others) than it is about necessarily the project.

May 4, 16 8:43 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

you did see all the cross dressing going on there. maybe Rick is Joanie

May 4, 16 8:47 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

not really Ricki, but why would you ever understand anything. you bot.

May 4, 16 8:49 pm  · 
 · 
JBeaumont

Ha!  Another great plot twist Olaf.  

Good use of the You Do Realize construction, too.

May 4, 16 8:53 pm  · 
 · 

jla-x,

Joanie drew a artist concept rendering. It was a promotional drawing that was done but it wasn't even the building reflected or the plans. It was just a perspective view concept sketch. It was an artist concept that was probably initially began before they even had the particular building determined.

http://www.dailyastorian.com/20071008/shanghaied-bonds-with-new-location

Del Corbett was clients representative assisting me in the designing of the theater where his experience was drawn upon where it matters. 

May 4, 16 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
JBeaumont

It sounds more like you were the assistant Ricky.  So now you're saying there were three designers (at least), and they remember Joanie designing it and not you.

May 4, 16 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

And the article mentions 150 seats FYI...

May 4, 16 9:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: