Archinect
anchor

CPBD exam specifications under review by NCBDC.

kjdt

shuellmi, yes the 1 foot + 1 tread rule was removed from 2010 ADA.  But Balki keeps reminding us that this was done under the code that was in place in 2007.

So after 18 pages of arguing about it, it turns out a bunch of architects were right about the height of the garage door and you were not?  So can you now extrapolate that result to all the other things you're arguing about Balki, and see how they're going to end?  

Like at least 4 people have said they can see 55+ bricks in the photos but you're still insisting on 48.5. Where did you get that number?  I found that same picture of the stair on the theater's facebook site and right in the vicinity of that picture are several others with that same pilaster.  I counted up to the light fixture from the floor in one, and from the light fixture to the truss in another, and counted 57.5 bricks, marking each one on the screen so I could be sure I didn't count any twice.  So if are right at Borderline-Exempt (as if that's a thing) when you assume 48.5 bricks, then clearly you're Not Exempt No Question About It No Way No How when you count correctly.  For God's sake can't somebody just go there and measure?  Even if that requires attending some community theater dreck it'd be worth the $12 ticket and just to settle this.

May 6, 16 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

Wait, what???   Rick when you were sure the garage door opening was 9 feet tall you insisted that proved the highest point of the ceiling was just under 20 feet.   Now you've discovered the garage door opening is a foot taller than you thought but somehow that proves the building is still just under 20 feet??   And what about the pesky fact that there's a stamped engineer's drawing from 2014 showing in which the building is demonstrated to be 20' - 2 1/2"??  

May 6, 16 6:47 pm  · 
 · 

Here's the thing, the building department has a new interim building official on contract. It's actually a company. The technical building official is the president of the company but the appointed representative that will be serving on some capacity for the area was the Building Official of Astoria Jack Applegate as well as other appointed staff people. I will be talking with Jack on this as he would have or should have some familiarity to this to some extent. 

Since people here brought up issues, this needs to be resolved. Something the contractor failed to do in large part. The client submitting drawings that are not proper construction documents from my schematics and so on.

kjdt,

I joined late so perhaps I'm not following correctly but: if that stair is part of your egress strategy for the audience then it has to be 44 inches wide minimum because you have to assume half the audience is using it in addition to cast and staff.  It sounds like it does have to be part of your egress strategy since the building isn't fully sprinklered including under the stage.  I don't see the 1'-11" handrail extensions but the photo is dark so I'm not sure. 

No. The stairs on the stage is not for the audience. Also the photo is at an angle. I am not sure if they altered the steps in any way but that's something too hard to tell due to the color and darkness. I lighten up the photo about the limits of the particular software. It was even harder to see.

I also had at least an egress planned for the stage. Sprinklered or not. 

8-9 years ago, I probably can more vividly recall much more but its been 8-9 years. I think they installed 5/8 drywall along the front row of stem wall. I specified for and we had built the stage with 2x6 stem walls going east / west on just about 4'-10.5" O.C.. Double top plates. In the front two to three rows, "knee braces" were installed on both ends of the stage several feet in from each side. Something like 5-ft. on each side or so. It was to provide transverse load resistance to add some resistance to the stem walls from overturning. While the stem walls have concrete anchors. The knee brace which also has concrete anchors into the slab floor below helps in providing some extra stability. This was a provision done in the field due to how the stem walls were a little wobbly and I wanted them to be more firm and solid. It is one of those type of decisions you make in the field because no matter how the plans are, they are fiction. In the field, there can be anything from undulation of the slab that while shims were used and concrete anchors were used. The bracing adds some stability. I was not concern about the stem wall racking along the East/West axis do to short height and it's constrained between the CMU/Concrete walls. 

The extra concrete anchors also adds additional tie down. It's isn't full proof or indestructible but it does add strength and transverse load stability.

Add to that, a fire rated door assembly was suppose to be installed in the door between stage & back stage while the backstage area is sprinklered.

The egress for the audience is to go out the east and out the north side of the building.

The stage provides an egress for the actors to get off the stage. While there is an ADA issue to be resolved (solution: wheel chair stair lift.)

The door out of the back stage was put into the hall way of the backstage just to the right of the door way into the back stage.

May 6, 16 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

"It is also part of the process to involve subject matter experts into the process of making the exam in part necessarily rigorous, valid..."

So to make the AIBD valid it needs actual licensed architects.  carrying on...

Balkins, here in 19 pages of text, subject matter experts are giving you defensible, clear cut, text book descriptions of everything that is wrong in a non-exempt building.  yes, the theater is non-exempt.  it's over 20'-0". 

Curiously, you are not listening to them.  Instead you've spent since about last Friday defending a theater that a.  you had nothing to do with.  b.  is full of code violations

stop pretending to design buildings.  stop pretending to be a subject matter expert.  stop pretending to represent a for-profit organization that does nothing other than fatten their executives pockets.

May 6, 16 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
kjdt

Rick I thought it was already established that the east and north exits are too close together, because the building does not qualify as "fully sprinklered", because the area under the stage isn't sprinklered, right?   So that means that the east and north exits don't count as two separate exits.  That means that the exit via the stair at the side of the stage MUST be for the audience - or the building doesn't have enough exits for the audience.  Are you following so far?  But that stair isn't wide enough for that occupant load (needs to be 44 inches wide).  Which means your building only has the equivalent of one compliant egress.  Which means the building should be shut down until somebody qualified can fix this.

May 6, 16 7:04 pm  · 
 · 

Copied from page 11, and updated for a 10' tall garage door.

"The rafter is a 5:12" and in protracting the angle of the chords of the trusses from the pictures, it means the peak of the trusses is about 8' from the top of the bottom chord. An old garage door on the west side was 10'ft. tall. From the top of the garage bay to the top of the bottom chord is abound  19"-20". So, 11'-7" to 11'-8" plus 8' to the top of truss top chord ridge.... 19'-7" to 19'-8". The ridge boards/purlins are 2x6". There is still room for the floor to slope very shallow to the middle. About 1/2:12 pitch. Even then, that's 9-2/3 inches. It's still just under 21-ft."

May 6, 16 7:08 pm  · 
 · 

Bloopbox said on page 14 (emphasis mine):

"I don't know how you managed to be off by so much.  My best guess would be that you've got the height of the old garage door opening wrong, though it could be various other measurements, or a collection of them, that you got wrong."

May 6, 16 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Kangaroos!!!

May 6, 16 7:28 pm  · 
 · 

Wait, what???   Rick when you were sure the garage door opening was 9 feet tall you insisted that proved the highest point of the ceiling was just under 20 feet.   Now you've discovered the garage door opening is a foot taller than you thought but somehow that proves the building is still just under 20 feet??   And what about the pesky fact that there's a stamped engineer's drawing from 2014 showing in which the building is demonstrated to be 20' - 2 1/2"??  

The pilaster height is still the same height. The floor is pretty much flat here. You see the very next pilaster is 48.5 bricks and there is 3 bricks for every 8" CMU wall.

Also the ground slopes a little bit. I made an error in calculating the CMU as 15 CMU to the pilasters. Look at the photos of the pre-remodel. There is only 3 bricks above the top of the garage door opening. As you noticed, prior to the remodel there was some frame in already with the windows at the top. That was completely replaced including the removal of the actual garage door.

3 brick rows (8") above the garage door. 

10'-8" still supports the 16 CMU unit heights to the pilaster. 48.5 bricks supports that. So, 10'-8 plus 1/2 brick (that's about 1-1/4" to 1-1/2". This is supported by the physical masonry.

Think mathematically. I count 48.5 bricks rows in the pilaster. When the two central pilasters are holding the same height and same number of bricks. It will be about right and true. 

May 6, 16 7:33 pm  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

10'-8" still supports the 16 CMU unit heights to the pilaster...

The engineer's drawings show 17 CMU units - not 16.  Rick you've said yourself that you didn't measure this building accurately back when you did this project because it still had floor and ceiling finishes in the way, right?  So think about this:

The engineers went there after it had been converted to a theater.  They were able to measure without any floor finishes or dropped ceilings in the way.  Therefore their measurements are probably more accurate.

Additionally: they're engineers.  They're certified to have math skills of a level competent to be engineers.  Therefore their measurements are probably more accurate.

You on the other hand have made many math mistakes right in this thread.  You said 2-8" = 30 inches.  You said a 5:12 slope is "close enough" to a 22.5 degree angle, even though that underestimates the truss height by about 1.5 inches.  You said that 8'-3" is the same as 8.3 feet.  You said you measured the garage door opening and it was 9 feet - even though photos strongly indicated otherwise.  Therefore their measurements are probably more accurate.

You have admitted in other threads that you don't really know how to measure long spans with a tape measure.  Therefore their measurements are probably more accurate.

You said in other threads that you can't accurately read a tape measure at the top of a tall wall when you're standing on the ground.  Therefore their measurement are probably more accurate and you probably need glasses.

You've claimed in other threads that it's important to you to measure existing conditions to a tolerance of 1/16".  You're off by at least a foot here.  Doesn't that suggest to you that it would be better to leave measuring to the engineers?

May 6, 16 7:46 pm  · 
 · 

kjdt,

Rick I thought it was already established that the east and north exits are too close together, because the building does not qualify as "fully sprinklered", because the area under the stage isn't sprinklered, right?   So that means that the east and north exits don't count as two separate exits.  That means that the exit via the stair at the side of the stage MUST be for the audience - or the building doesn't have enough exits for the audience.  Are you following so far?  But that stair isn't wide enough for that occupant load (needs to be 44 inches wide).  Which means your building only has the equivalent of one compliant egress.  Which means the building should be shut down until somebody qualified can fix this.

It can be considered fully sprinklered even if the stage isn't. All it takes to eliminate the sprinkler requirement under the stairs if 5/8" type-x gypsum wall board along the north side of the stage to separate from the audience space. As there is NO storage under the stage, the reason for sprinkler requirement or even the Type-X gypsum wall board under the stage is not present when there is no storage space. On the south side, the stage has 8" of poured concrete then CMU as separation. It satisfies that requirement as a substitute for 5/8" type-x drywall (30 mins. ??? of fire resistance.) It may already be there but even if not, a non-issue. 

To be deemed fully sprinklered is to be sprinklered as required. If there is non-compliance, that can still be resolved without necessarily putting sprinklers under the stage.

I never measured the slope of the floor across in either direction. In some spots like parts of that garage door, it's rises up a little. It's might be slightly less than 10' high, actual door height but the raw maximum squared out opening is probably 10' x 10' but their is still a threshold and all. All of which is meaningless now as that was all reframed in.

Go back and count the bricks in the pilasters and the 8" tall CMU (mortar joint included).

I'm calling the height between 19'-9" and 19'-11".

May 6, 16 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

America has the UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championships) and the UCP (Ultimate Clutch Players). One is mixed martial artists, and the other is quarterbacks of the NFL. They all are athletic warriors who are extremely determined to win.

My favorite in the UFC is Georges St. Pierre. My favorite UCP in the NFL is Tim Tebow.

I know what you are thinking: Tebow has only been in the NFL for three years. True, but Tim’s 2011 season with the Denver Broncos was one of the most remarkable in football history.

Tim Tebow for president! Get the bumper sticker at the WND Superstore.

In 2010, the first round draft pick out of the University of Florida, signed a five-year contract with the Denver Broncos. His rookie season he played back up to then starter Kyle Orton. Orton remained the starter the following season, but after a 1-4 start, Tebow replaced him at halftime against the San Diego Chargers. After attempting to rally his team from a 16-point deficit against San Diego, Tim was named the starter for the upcoming game against the Miami Dolphins. It was in that game that we got to see Tebow work his fourth-quarter magic. Tim came back from a 15-0 disadvantage to the Dolphins and led the Broncos to an 18-15 overtime victory.

And what sportsman can ever forget how that amazing rookie quarterback then led the Broncos to six wins in their next seven games and into the playoffs, beating the highly favored Pittsburgh Steelers in a wild-card game? After finishing the game tied and going into overtime, the Broncos won the coin toss, and Tebow threw a perfect 80-yard pass on the first play to win the game 29-23. It was the Broncos’ first playoff victory in six years.

When the Broncos decided to go with another clutch player in Peyton Manning, Tim joined the New York Jets. He was brought to New York to be the backup quarterback to Mark Sanchez and run some wildcat packages.  

Personally, I think the formula of rotating quarterbacks is ultimately a recipe for disaster. That system never works. There can only be one quarterback leading the team. As the old adage goes, anything with more than one head is a monster.

I have been following Tim since he became a quarterback for the Florida Gators, and I have never seen a more determined and inspiring athlete play the game of football. And I’m not alone in that sports assessment.

Akbar Gbajabiamila, analyst for NFL.com and NFL Network, explained last week in his article, “Tim Tebow’s history as a proven winner should not be ignored”: “Training camps are still a few months away, and already, every team in the NFL has made a major mistake: They’ve overlooked the winning record of Tim Tebow. … Pundits have tried to erase the success Tebow had in 2011 with the Denver Broncos, but make no mistake: it all happened. He did mount multiple fourth-quarter comebacks and notch four overtime victories; he did rush for 118 yards and throw for two touchdowns in one game; he did complete 66 percent of his passes and throw for two touchdowns in another. … In the locker room we had a word to describe that kind of personal highlight reel: ballin.'”

Forbes just released its 2013 list of Most Influential Athletes, and Tim Tebow leads the pack with the No. 1 ranking, followed by Manning at a distant fifth. The only other two NFL players on the list were Drew Brees (No. 6) and Aaron Rodgers (No. 8).

I’ve heard the so-called critics say Tebow has poor technical skills, but the truth is that Tim is a natural-born leader, an amazingly gifted football player, an inspiration to his team and the possessor of intense determination and strategy to bring any team to victory – no matter what the odds. One can improve technique, but leadership is innate. That is why I believe Tebow could be a super star and legend in the NFL.

Take an unprecedented in-depth look at the most celebrated college football player of all time as he defies the odds and astounds critics, making the journey from two-time national champion and Heisman trophy winner to NFL rookie quarterback.

Michael Strahan, Super Bowl champion, Fox football analyst, and now morning show host, recently commented on “The Late Show with David Letterman,” “You can’t measure heart. And you can’t measure how hard a guy’s going to work when a guy starts making money.”

Tebow has proven that he plays with all heart, and his hard work and determination is unprecedented.

Tebow is a player who rises to the occasion and delivers big in critical game moments. He reminds me of myself when I used to compete in martial arts. I would spar with my black belts in class, and sometimes they would outscore me. Yet in the tournaments, I would defeat them. My students used to ask me, “Why can we contend equally against you in class, but we can’t beat you in the tournaments?” My answer was always the same, “When it counts, I rise to the occasion.”

The same is true of the former Heisman Trophy winner: When pressure mounts and the game is on the line, Tim’s turbo turns on! It has been said, “If a quarterback came through with a clutch, final-minute victory, he pulled a ‘Tebow.'” And that is why he is the ultimate clutch player.

I believe we have just begun to see what Tim is capable of doing as one of the best among the NFL’S UCP. But a team must play him and let him lead, like the Broncos did. No warrior can prove his worth if kept from the battlefield.

So what team do I feel should give Tim the opportunity to excel as a quarterback and usher them to Super Bowl status?

My present pick would be the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Why? To put it simply, because Tim could help turn the mediocre team into a championship one.  Tebow works miracles on the field, and his inclusion would embolden the spirit of the Jaguars among the team and fans.

Plus – and this has no reflection on the current quarterbacks – Tim is from Florida, where he bears a victor legacy and an extensive fan base, to boot, from his days with the Gators. Tim was raised in the Jacksonville area, where he became a high-school football star. Then his young, stellar career shot into the stratosphere when he led the University of Florida in Gainesville to some record-breaking wins. Tim won two national championships with the Gators and became the first sophomore ever to win the coveted Heisman Trophy.

So, Mr. Shad Khan – the owner of the Jacksonville Jaguars, David Caldwell – their general manager and coach Gus Bradley, I would give the preceding some serious thought. Whatever you would pay Tebow would be recouped tenfold by the increase in attendance and fan base. With Tim as the quarterback for the Jacksonville Jaguars, they would add thousands (if not tens of thousands) of additional fans to the stadium, including me – even though I don’t live in Florida!

Only one thing that stands in the way, again as Akbar Gbajabiamila, analyst for NFL.com and NFL Network, wisely retorted: “Here’s the truth as I see it: Many coaches let pride or fear of media and fan scrutiny affect the decisions they make about star players.”

But I was reading another USA Today column last week, headlined, “Trailblazer Khan should set course for hirings.” It reported that Khan, as the first minority owner of an NFL franchise, often cites Martin Luther King Jr.’s work as a contributing factor to his success.

So let me respectfully challenge Mr. Khan to consider these words from Dr. King: “There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

I know Khan, Caldwell and Bradley have talked, and they know that hiring Tebow would be right – right for them, right for the team, right for the fans and right for Florida.

Tim isn’t worried about his future. With his skillset, confidence, marketability and Christian faith, his future is rock solid and good as gold – on and off the field. As he himself has said, “I don’t know what my future holds, but I know Who holds my future.”

All that is needed now is an owner, manager and coach of a football team who have the vision and faith to watch Tebow turn around their team. I guarantee that they will see positive results. I have been an athlete all of my life, being a six-time undefeated world middle weight champion in the martial arts, and I know a winner when I see one.

Tim Tebow is a winner – plain and simple!

May 6, 16 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

The Insignificance of Words

A man walks down a dimly lit street; the bright red lights above the hospital’s exit are now just a faint glow behind him. As he staggers along the city blocks back to his quiet row home, he ponders the tragic news he has just received regarding his mother’s failing health. A couple blocks from the refuge of his home, he runs into some of the neighborhood locals. Some he knows most he doesn’t, but greets them all the same. “How’s it goin’?” he says, in a voice that is less then enthusiastic. “Good” they reply, “How’s it goin’ with you?” The man responds “Good, thanks for asking”, again not showing much interest in the conversation he just finished, he trudges toward home. After passing the locals, the man is amused at the simple truth that he is not doing “good” and that he does not really care if those people are. He ponders the stupidity of the conversation he just had and laughs for the first time all day.
As he enters his doorway and hangs up his jacket, he slowly glances around the living room and finds his way to the olive colored sofa. As he searches the coffee table for the remote control, he begins to think of his ailing mother and her impact on his life. His search ends as he finds the clicker and turns on the television. Not paying any attention to the infomercial on the screen, he is just glad that the silence of his home is broken. As Chuck Norris is explaining why the “Ab Slide is the newest, safest and most effective method for getting in shape in the comfort of your own home.” He reflects back on the conversation that he had walking home from the hospital. He quickly laughs again and thinks what was the point of even talking to them. . The simple nonchalant nature of not caring what “is” goin’on, reflects one of the reasons why individuals in America are becoming less community oriented.
Do they even care how I am?

May 6, 16 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

The Insignificance of Words

A man walks down a dimly lit street; the bright red lights above the hospital’s exit are now just a faint glow behind him. As he staggers along the city blocks back to his quiet row home, he ponders the tragic news he has just received regarding his mother’s failing health. A couple blocks from the refuge of his home, he runs into some of the neighborhood locals. Some he knows most he doesn’t, but greets them all the same. “How’s it goin’?” he says, in a voice that is less then enthusiastic. “Good” they reply, “How’s it goin’ with you?” The man responds “Good, thanks for asking”, again not showing much interest in the conversation he just finished, he trudges toward home. After passing the locals, the man is amused at the simple truth that he is not doing “good” and that he does not really care if those people are. He ponders the stupidity of the conversation he just had and laughs for the first time all day.
As he enters his doorway and hangs up his jacket, he slowly glances around the living room and finds his way to the olive colored sofa. As he searches the coffee table for the remote control, he begins to think of his ailing mother and her impact on his life. His search ends as he finds the clicker and turns on the television. Not paying any attention to the infomercial on the screen, he is just glad that the silence of his home is broken. As Chuck Norris is explaining why the “Ab Slide is the newest, safest and most effective method for getting in shape in the comfort of your own home.” He reflects back on the conversation that he had walking home from the hospital. He quickly laughs again and thinks what was the point of even talking to them. . The simple nonchalant nature of not caring what “is” goin’on, reflects one of the reasons why individuals in America are becoming less community oriented.
Do they even care how I am?

May 6, 16 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

The Eastern grey kangaroo is in the Animalia kingdom. The phylum they belong to is the Chordata phylum. The class they belong to is the Mamalia class. The Diprotodontia is the order they belong to. The family they are a part of is the Macropodidae family. The Eastern gray Kangaroo’s scientific name is Macropus giganteus.
They live in eastern Australia and the Tasmania Islands. The average rainfall is around 150-300mm. Eastern Grey Kangaroos live in wet areas. They live on the grass lands, forests and woodlands. They graze on strips of land called a home range.. Since they eat dry grass they drink much water. They mostly sleep in the shade under trees because of the heat.
Eastern grey kangaroos are well adapted to their environment both behavioral and physiological. To keep from over heating they sleep during hot days and then go out to eat in late afternoon and early morning. They also can dig holes, so they can sleep in the cool soil. They have large dark eyes which gives them very accurate sight. Their ears can turn in any direction so they can pick up the faintest noise. The also have a good sense of smell. When they sense any danger at all they stomp the ground very hard to warn the other kangaroos of danger. They have specially designed tendons that stretch when they hop so they use up little energy hen they hop, so they can go for a long time to escape danger. They also have the ability to balance their weight on the tail to give a strong and deadly kick to other males and predators. Their tail also helps them balance when then hopping.

May 6, 16 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

bad bot bad.

it's not exempt - the theater.

Says Chuck Norris and the Kangaroos.

May 6, 16 8:01 pm  · 
 · 

10'-8" still supports the 16 CMU unit heights to the pilaster...

The engineer's drawings show 17 CMU units - not 16.  Rick you've said yourself that you didn't measure this building accurately back when you did this project because it still had floor and ceiling finishes in the way, right?  So think about this:

There is 48.5 bricks to the top of the pilasters.

That's 16 CMU. The 17th row of the CMU begins at the top surface of the pilaster (top surface of the 16th row of CMU. 

Yes, there is 17 ROWS of CMUs to the top of the parapets with 24-25.5" of POURED REINFORCED CONCRETE FOUNDATION.

I counted the foundation as equivalent of 3 rows of CMUs. which makes for 20 CMU rows.

May 6, 16 8:02 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

balkins, how f*cking stupid can you be?

\hat{H} = \frac{\hat{p}^2}{2m} + V(x) = -\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{d^2}{d x^2} + V(x)

if you use the formula above you can determine the moisture evaporation of the concrete.  it probably has slumped at least 1.5" while curing.  however, soils in astoria are actually rising.  i verified with a soils engineer so you need to factor in that your building is growing about .3 cm per year.  

in the formula you're solving for H where p is moisture content, m is rate of moisture evaporation, V is weight of cement, x is accounting for aggregate.  you'll need the weight, make an assumption based on a cubic inch.  

f*ck how stupid are you.

May 6, 16 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
I actually read the Tim Tebow thing and it made sense. That shows that this thread has become ridiculous.

Rick, I'd fire you in a heartbeat.
May 6, 16 8:25 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
Balkins did you refer to zoning to calculate the floor area? Article 1 basic provisions.

If the porta potties were temporary use they should have been removed after one year. Now you've got a zoning violation. See article 1 basic provisions.

Do you meet parking requirements?

Does the signage meet zoning guidelines?

Is there correct landscaping and drainage? Article 3 of Astoria zoning.
May 6, 16 8:25 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

this should be required reading for arch students

May 6, 16 8:39 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Josh that is because Chuck Norris wrote it, that's why you read it.

Balkins is NOT Chuck Norris.

May 6, 16 8:40 pm  · 
 · 

Image# 1: ( Top Half )

http://s32.postimg.org/w0wt8nds5/12341587_10153866354888678_9086786295829325066_n.jpg

Image# 2: (Bottom half)

http://s32.postimg.org/6oi5yq3d1/12375992_10153866354813678_221992540994554711_n.jpg

Download the images and you may want to view them from a image viewer with a little zooming.

Count the bricks. I placed the dots at each brick row in these images. Note the red dot in both image. If you count down from top of pilaster, it's row 23 as you go down. That's the same row as you go to the other image.

The bottom row is roughly a 1/2 brick in height. It's denoted by the purple dot.

May 6, 16 8:44 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
Balkins you're as thick as a brick. How many times do you need to count them? You're wrong.

Now what about zoning!
May 6, 16 8:52 pm  · 
 · 

no_form,

Balkins did you refer to zoning to calculate the floor area? Article 1 basic provisions. 

If the porta potties were temporary use they should have been removed after one year. Now you've got a zoning violation. See article 1 basic provisions. 

Do you meet parking requirements? 

Does the signage meet zoning guidelines?

Is there correct landscaping and drainage? Article 3 of Astoria zoning.

I'm not getting into the zoning matters for parking and other requirements. That is mostly addresses by permission to use parking from Chamber of Commerce office and other near by sites. At least that is how it was supposedly addressed. That was something the client was to resolve with other parties. 

As for the portable restrooms, that was supposed to be removed after one year but how they get to continue doing that this long is something I am not sure about. 

The principle was they were suppose to be removing them after the summer Shanghai in Astoria program and use them for the summer and then get started with the permanent restrooms. Even with one year extensions up to 2 years of extensions (possible to be obtained), they suppose to have addressed this within 3 years from what I gather. This was suppose to have been resolved by 2010.

This was ample time to have an architect draw up a set of simple restrooms and move the box office and all that into a 15-18 ft. x 50 (around) addition or detached structure. 

Simple one story construction and slab on grade with thicken edge foundation, it would be straightforward to construct for a around $175K or less with some materials donated as well as labor donated. 

May 6, 16 8:59 pm  · 
 · 

I give up discussing this with you guys. 

This is just going to go in circles.

May 6, 16 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

FAIL!

May 6, 16 9:05 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

and Chuck Norris did write that essay

The Ultimate Clutch Player

again, NOT Balkins.

May 6, 16 9:06 pm  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

"I give up discussing this with you guys. 

This is just going to go in circles."

There is nothing to discuss.  Your name appears nowhere on the documents filed with the City of Astoria.  You are known to the community and likewise known to have not participated on the project, at least with regards to the design. 

May 6, 16 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

didn't you give up yesterday rick?

oh well, as long as you get the last word.

oh, oops, i have the last word.  sorry about that.

May 6, 16 9:14 pm  · 
 · 

Olaf,

I'll accept the FAIL. I'm just stick and tired of this never ending circular debate. You guys just wants to hear me say I practiced "unlicensed practice of architecture". Is that really what all this is about? What is this damn debate about?

May 6, 16 9:17 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

thank god rick got in the last word.  now we can let the thread die.

oh shit i did it again.  now i have the last word.  we can't let that stand

#K4L

May 6, 16 9:18 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
Balkins as the self described PBD on this project how could you not look at the zoning requirements? It's all part of the change of use. You've been arguing about bricks when you also neglected zoning. Especially as it is a change of use it becomes even more important.

K4L
May 6, 16 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

Rick your photos and your dots skip a bunch of bricks.  I can count.  You cannot count.

The parking and signage are addressed in the plans for the new addition - they're noted in their drawings as currently insufficient and non code compliant (big surprise...)

The engineer's drawings specifically show that the trusses start above the 17th row of CMU, and that the top of the brick pilasters align with the top of the 17th row of CMU.  Balkins even you should recognize that they are far more credible than you are, and that you cannot do math.

May 6, 16 9:20 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
Yes Balkins, admit it. You illegally practiced architecture. Now you'll have to face the consequences for doing so.
May 6, 16 9:21 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

I'll accept the FAIL. I'm just stick and tired of this never ending circular debate. You guys just wants to hear me say I practiced "unlicensed practice of architecture". Is that really what all this is about? What is this damn debate about?

That's just part of it man. You are Wrong, wrong, wrong about so many things and you do not stop.  Do you understand what it means to be WRONG!

that's my point, I could give two shits you did drawings once for somebody.

May 6, 16 9:45 pm  · 
 · 
Aluminate

Rick says:  "It can be considered fully sprinklered even if the stage isn't. All it takes to eliminate the sprinkler requirement under the stairs if 5/8" type-x gypsum wall board along the north side of the stage to separate from the audience space. As there is NO storage under the stage, the reason for sprinkler requirement or even the Type-X gypsum wall board under the stage is not present when there is no storage space. "

Of course it can be made code-compliant.  So can anything.  A professional building designer is supposed to design it to code compliance in the first place - not a few years later when it's discovered that it was designed as a fire trap.  They've got two trap doors in the stage that they'll lose if they have to do the continuous type-X gyp bd.  And you don't seem to have access to the interior so how do you know if they're storing shit under the stage? Are you going to keep arguing that even once somebody finds a picture of them storing shit under there? You didn't know they filled the box office up with furniture and shelving, or that they filled the backstage corridor with shelving and racks, or that they turned the souvenir stand into a kangaroo pen, or that they didn't build the bathroom, and on and on and on and on and on...

As for unlicensed practice of architecture: how can you possibly deny that at this point?  The building is a foot taller than you claimed.  The burden was on you to determine that BEFORE you drew anything for them.  If you drew anything for them.

May 6, 16 10:00 pm  · 
 · 

First off-street parking issue. There is probably some kind of variance on file. That was something the client was working out with someone on that. They had 14 parking spaces. The same numbers I had laid out in preliminary/schematic design. It was flat out clear they were not going to get all the parking on site. That's was an absolute impossibility within anything resembling cost feasible.

A multi-million dollar parking structure is absolutely impossible financially.

May 6, 16 10:11 pm  · 
 · 

Aluminate,

I didn't prepare a CD set for the project. The client jumped the gun on the permit process. 

I don't see anything resembling an actual CD set in permit file. 

May 6, 16 10:13 pm  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

"A multi-million dollar parking structure is absolutely impossible financially."

you are the fucking master of delay and obfuscate.  stop talking about meaningless bullshit.

You did nothing on this project.  Why are you trying to argue that you designed this shit, non code compliant building?  Your name isn't on any of the documents at the city.

Admit it:  all you do is sit in your parents basement and shitpost.

May 6, 16 10:16 pm  · 
 · 
Aluminate

What did you see in the permit file?  Anything at all that you actually prepared?

May 6, 16 10:17 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

May 6, 16 10:21 pm  · 
 · 
Aluminate

Rick you have repeatedly argued that students can be fined for practicing architecture without a license if they dimension their studio products. In fact you said that it doesn't even matter that studio projects are schematic and hypothetical - you said somebody could obtain copies of the students' drawings and build from them.

By that logic it makes zero difference whether you produced a CD set or not - you provided the owner with dimensioned drawings.  You can't argue that you didn't, after posting them yourself in this thread.

You dimensioned drawings. Those drawings were for a real building on a real site located in Oregon. You gave the drawings to the owner.  The height of the building exceeds 20 feet.  You practiced architecture without a license.  THE END.

May 6, 16 10:25 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
Balkins prepared a big fat turd after eating his mom's meatloaf. That's about all he's made in the past week while arguing with us.

Hey Balkins! You're a phony! Hey everybody this guy is a big phony!
May 6, 16 10:41 pm  · 
 · 
kjdt

Oh no no_form, don't you know not to mention food? Now he's going to segueway into his stock diversionary essay on ramen noodles.

May 6, 16 10:44 pm  · 
 · 

Aluminate,

Lets say they were able to store anything, there us only about 4'-10 by at most 38' to 39' with a clear height of ~16". The front is sheathed and with finish material.

As for sprinklers, why didn't the engineer put sprinklers under the stage? Why didn't the engineer insist on checking the stage. The contractor would have known if the stage had sprinklers under it or not to begin with. For whatever reason, he screwed up several things. Had the client & contractor not jump the gun on submitting plans that are not proper construction documents, some of these issues would have been resolved. Why was a permit issued before or without a proper construction documents? I don't know. So somehow, this had not been properly addressed. 

The reason the trap door area isn't used for storage is that there isn't any practical use for storage. The trap door is used for play act. It's literally a crawl space. It's for a play act scene. There isn't any use for storage in any practical way.

I don't think it has any practical use for storage. 

May 6, 16 10:58 pm  · 
 · 

Name wasn't put on the early drawings. 19'-10" height is still less than 20 ft.

May 6, 16 11:05 pm  · 
 · 

you're like a character straight from a kafka novel, balkins.

I too spoke with Lisa today, who very emphatically repeated that you had no involvement on the project, you produced no documents for the city or the client, and had no input or say into the design process.  She didn't know if you were a volunteer or not, but she was quite clear that you had zero input on the design.

Lisa wasn't aware of my involvement. This was because for one, my involvement in the project during design was with the client, the contractor and the building official.

She probably not know what aspect of involvement I actually had.

May 6, 16 11:13 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Question 5:  what's the difference between 19'10" and 20'2"

A. math is hard 

B. 18"

C. Kangaroos can only jump 19'10" NOT 20'2" according to The Australian ministry of kangaroo affairs  

D. Prison sex

May 6, 16 11:24 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
C! C! C!
May 6, 16 11:54 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: