Archinect
anchor

Graphic design after architecture degree?

roksraka

Hello!

I'm a 2nd year architecture student from Ljubljana, Slovenia. Although I like architecture, I'm starting to realize that I'm more and more interested in graphic design. Due to some weird rules of our educational system, I can't just go and study graphic design on another faculty (still part of the same university) without paying 3600 euros per year, which is obviously too much for my budget.

Since architects do have to care about presentation etc., one would think they aren't that bad with graphic design either. Could I possibly become a freelance graphic designer after I get my degree in architecture? What are my chances? How can I educate myself on budget?

Thanks for the help!

Jan 24, 15 8:37 pm
accesskb

you don't need to waste your time studying architecture to become a freelance graphic designer, althought it wouldn't hurt.  Heck.. If I was going to be a graphic designer, I'd just buy a few books and teach myself.  Everything is available, in the palm of your hands these days, unlike a decade or two ago.

Jan 24, 15 9:09 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

If I was going to be a graphic designer, I'd just buy a few books and teach myself. 

^I agree.  Unless there is some barrier to entry like a governmental license, I would go the teach-yourself route.  Cheaper, quicker.  Nobody ever died from bad graphics, so there is no must-learn body of knowledge that you must master in order to not endanger the public.  By all means skip architecture if you are not really that interested in it.

Jan 25, 15 11:02 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

my friend has a sucessful graphic design/web design business from home.  been doing it for 10 years and makes about 80-100k per year.  works about 30-40 hours a week.  not a bad life. and hes debt free because he taught himself. 

Jan 25, 15 11:41 am  · 
 · 
fulcrum

Boy, "know-all"-ism in this field is so rampant. 

Take some graphic design classes, at least. Maybe architects "ain't that bad" with graphic design, but we are not educated or specialized in graphic design field. Having some design sense is one thing, but that doesn't make you to be an expert.

So OP realized that s/he wants do something other than architecture, AND S/he is only in 2nd year in tr program... Why are you wasting even more money in archutecture for two or more years that you don't want to do, while you do want to pursuit in graphic design? To me, THAT is even more waste of money than restart your focus in graphic design.

Gosh, architects go nuts when some designers in other fields start designing buildings, but it's ok for us to do their job?

Jan 25, 15 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

^ there are people who are good designers (via nature and nurture) and there are those who are not.  A good designer should be able to transition into another area of design as long as they have to rigor to buckle down and learn.  A degree is irrelevant.  

Jan 25, 15 12:39 pm  · 
1  · 
ill_will

I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say a degree is irrelevant, but I do agree with x-jla's definition of a good designer. I would say start a side project in graphic design, possibly post publicly on social media to get a more "global" perspective on your work. Youtube is a good place to start too.

Feb 13, 24 11:38 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

These foolish useless barriers to entry are proped up by education and licensure industrial complex. thats all.  Without these extortion / protection tactics in place school becomes a luxury not a necessity.  if you can afford it then fine but imo school is overrated.  the info is in the books afterall.  

Jan 25, 15 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
fulcrum

i said "take some classes, at least," not "go get the degree."

And switching major was my second opinion. Again, why should s/he spend another 2-3 years plus $ on something that this person is not interested in anymore? 

I understand what you are saying jla-x, but both arch and gd need good training and time to become an expert. Just being able to use some graphics programs and layout simple boards doesn't make him/her an expert  I am saying this, because I've seen in oh so many portfolio that applicants think they are hot shit in graphics, but mediocre at best in reality.

yes, a degree is irrelevant, sometimes, but you still need a proper training.

Jan 25, 15 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
zzzzzzzzzzz

^^^^jla-x agree 100%

Jan 25, 15 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
zzzzzzzzzzz

when are you going to open up a design school?

Jan 25, 15 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

A lot of people with graphic design degrees aren't even good graphic designers. So I think it's reasonable to say that most architects are better than the general public, but not skilled enough to sell themselves as GDs.

Architecture tends to develop very specific graphic skills that are applicable to itself. This does not include many of the things that graphic designers make money on.

I spent a great deal of time in school working on publications, and I have translated this in to several small side projects for book layouts. However, I don't think there is any serious money or a profession there, and most people from architecture don't get nearly that much graphic design experience.

That said, I know two people who are full time graphic designers after getting arch degrees. One of them works in a graphic design company, and the other sells her work on Etsy (very successfully).

Jan 25, 15 10:28 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

My brother has been a graphic designer for as long as I've been an architect... And he's as good of an architect as I am a graphic designer.

Yes, the barriers to entry are lower, but if you want to be good, you really do need to take some classes.

Jan 26, 15 12:54 am  · 
 · 
roksraka

^^fulcrum ...the reason why i'm not dropping out of architecture, is because slovenia has a very good and FREE education, so i'm not wasting any money staying in school :)

I agree with some of you who said, that architects have a limited knowledge of GD, since we're more focused on designing posters and such, and that's what worries me. I'll just do my best by trying to educate myself, and hopefully get some commissions before getting my degree, and we'll see how it goes :D and thanks everybody for your opinions!

Jan 26, 15 7:50 am  · 
1  · 
fulcrum

Good luck!

Jan 26, 15 9:23 am  · 
 · 
Kidd

@roksraka Go to behance.com and designspieration.net and take a look at the work on there. Look through the fields they have in the menu to see what you like. If you can compare to that after a few years of self-study or what have you, or you are better than that now, then go for it. But looking at what is done now and trying to predict where GD will take you is important. Look at what the Japanese and other countries are doing specific to that area and emulate that into your own style.

Good luck!

Jan 26, 15 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

If I was going to be a graphic designer, I'd just buy a few books and teach myself. "

"if you can afford it then fine but imo school is overrated.  the info is in the books afterall.  "

This is the same kind of bullshit thought that a lot of contractors and engineers think about architecture.

If you want to be a real graphic designer (and not just a pretend one), go to a good school and learn it. Dont listen to this idiotic advise if you want to want to be a real professional. Graphic design extends onto interaction design, UI/UX, and many other fields. If you think you are too good for school, thats another thing, but I suggest going to a design school and learning from the pros.

Jan 26, 15 2:19 pm  · 
 · 

The quality of a design professional requires immersion in a studio environment where you learn as much if not more for your fellow students as you do from the professors. Operating in a vacuum is, well, vacuous. 

Jan 26, 15 2:24 pm  · 
1  · 
natematt

I would agree with Miles, not that you can't learn outside of a studio, but it's much harder.

I don't really agree with Sameolddoctor though. One of the big differences between architecture and GD is that you can get by with a lot shallower skill-set. Of course a deeper experience is helpful, and opens a lot more doors.

Jan 27, 15 1:26 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

natematt, as I said, thats what most engineers think of us. If we want to be respected as a profession, we need to give equal respect to other design professions too. Ive talked to so many graphic designers who just hate that a lot of people (including us architects) that think they can do what graphic designers do...

Jan 27, 15 2:23 pm  · 
1  · 
Dani_P

As a graphic designer who first completed a degree in architecture, I can say with certainty, these are two VERY different professions. 

In principle, some might think that architects can play the part of the graphic designer without any training, but I’ve seen many and architect who thinks they are qualified to multitask as a graphic designer create some pretty miserable looking graphics (don't ask them though—they think they are rockstars). Architects don’t know how to typeset, they don’t comprehend accessibility from a graphics perspective, they don’t understand the precision and amount of detail that makes a graphic designer good at what they do, and they don’t know how to use graphic design specific software properly or in the depth that is required to create with an efficient workflow (ahem...AutoCAD is not graphic design software). Execution is largely pretty terrible.

I can say this from personal experience. I thought it would be an easy transition for myself, but it wasn’t. I had the talent, the eye, the drive, but still I had to educate myself much more than I thought—at least, in order to become a good graphic designer and eventually, the owner of my own business. 

To understand branding, consistency, the nuances of type, user experience, etc., all requires much more of an education than architects come prepackaged with. It’s like saying a civil engineer could become a mechanical engineer. Sure, they probably have a leg up on this kind of career change because they’re already good at math and like to problem solve—but they would need to learn about mechanical engineering specifically. 

I learned the hard but necessary way. I took some additional classes, and then learned on the job under a highly skilled graphic designer who by some miracle decided to take me on as an apprentice. It still took me a couple of years to get really good at being a graphic designer. Don’t underestimate education. Learning on your own online for cheap … well, you get what you pay for and you'll likely get clients that will pay you even less.

Mar 27, 20 2:56 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: