Archinect
anchor

frameless glass balustrades

go do it

Do they actually prevent a person from going over the edge of a balcony or interior residential "bridge" application if someone was knocked or fell into one? 

DuPont video

Oct 19, 14 12:35 am
Carrera

That’s amazing stuff. Have always preferred laminated over tempered. Being unbreakable is better than breakable regardless of shard size. Wonder about how it bent on impact, wouldn’t someone fall with the bend? Isn’t code 200 lbs. of lateral force – no bend? 

Oct 19, 14 11:44 am  · 
 · 

Years ago when this was first the rage someone did a detail like that on a condo building in NYC. Glass was mounted just like that, with holes and metal brackets. No laminated glass at the time, just tempered. The metal fabricator (my friend) tried to talk them into a different detail - specifically eliminating outboard mounting and holes in the glass. When the architect refused he declined the job.

During construction a worker dropped a wrench from the roof. It hit one of the panels, shattering it and causing a cascade failure that went down 12 floors.

Oct 19, 14 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
go do it

I don't know about everybody else but if for some reason I fell into even a laminated glass balustrade and it bent like in the video I would probably go over the edge. They are a beautiful design element providing visual consistency but for safety reasons I would have to use something like this: 

Oct 19, 14 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
go do it

Miles,

I just looked at some images of the Grove Synagogue, very nice.

Oct 19, 14 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

With all of us being in the business and seeing, watching things get built – whenever I’m in a high-rise hotel with a balcony – I don’t lean on anything.

Oct 19, 14 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
proto

i believe IBC requires a connecting metal top rail over glass panels to help retain bodies in case of a glass panel failure, sim to the img abv

Oct 22, 14 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
proto, the IBC allows an exception. Check the chapter on glazing in guard rails ... 2407(?)
Oct 22, 14 8:30 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

looks precarious, and makes people nervous.

Plus...do you really want a railing that you have to clean all the time with Windex?

Nov 14, 18 2:07 am  · 
 · 
88Buildings

Looks cool. Over here in California most cities require a top rail on the glass panel. Most people removed them after inspection.

It is good if there is a view from inside the house. It is hard to keep them clean.

Nov 15, 18 5:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: