Archinect
anchor

I know what you are, but what am I? No seriously, what do I call myself?

Cherith Cutestory

Like many on this forum, I am one of the many unemployed trying to stay busy doing some independent work here and there. So far it's mostly been for people I already know- small renovation projects that don't require approvals and that the contractor can assume liability for, which is important since I don't have a stamp. I could take the exams since IDP is finished, but that is cause for another discussion.

All this has gotten me thinking that having a business card might be a potentially good thing to be armed with, on the off-chance I am able to get some other gigs. The problem is, what exactly do I call myself? I can't legally say I am an "Architect" but I am not sure if "Freelance Designer" conveys that I am capable of doing architecture work (providing the above mentioned perimeters).Can I even say "Architecture" on my card?

To the same degree that "architect" is a legally protected title, does the same hold true for "Graphic Designer" since I do that as well? Again, not something I hold an AIGA registration for.

My preference is to put "Architecture - Graphic Design - Media" as maybe a sub-text to "Freelance Designer" but I just want to make sure that this is a legal move.

Oct 28, 10 8:14 pm

Architecture the word is restricted in many states - you can't offer "architecture" or "architectural" services unless you are registered.

Graphic design is NOT a licensed profession in any states that I know of, and the AIGA is a voluntary organization for people working in that field. The AIA is also a voluntary organization, except if you are not registered you have to be "Associate AIA" not full AIA. The AIA has nothing at all to do with the licensure process.

Unfortunately you may need to fall back to your degree: you can list "Bachelor of Architecture Graduate" on your card, I think in some states even "Graduate Architect" is allowed. Check with your state's registration statues, they should be online somewhere.

Also, you can use environmental design or spatial design or even interior design - all unregulated (interiors is becoming a registered profession in some states, though, so be careful). You might go with:

"Freelance Designer: Environmental - Graphic - Media"

Or you can just run the risk and use architecture on your cards - you probably won't get in trouble for it, but it IS a small risk.

Oct 28, 10 9:01 pm  · 
 · 

why not just

Cherith Cutestory
CHERITH DESIGNS

and don't say anything else?

Oct 28, 10 9:16 pm  · 
 · 

why not just

Cherith Cutestory
CHERITH DESIGNS

· 

why not just

Cherith Cutestory
CHERITH DESIGNS

· 

why not just

Cherith Cutestory
CHERITH DESIGNS

· 

whoa, cool. i have no idea how that happened.

Oct 28, 10 9:17 pm  · 
 · 
headyshreddy

spacepig - full re-todd

Oct 28, 10 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

I'm thinking 'Environmental' is not the right word- to me it's going to draw a connotation of doing landscape design or having some relationship with green, LEED, etc. Also thinking a degree as a title is not going to make people take me seriously. Interior Design might be closer to what I AM doing, but I have such a negative viewpoint of that title- I do more than pick out throw pillows and shag rugs.

With the amount of 'Software Architect' 'Solutions Architect' and the like, it seems the use of 'Architect' has lost some meaning, although I feel like I remember seeing an article a while back about the AIA prosecuting unlicensed architects using the 'Architect' title, but apparently they have no jurisdiction how the title is used by any other profession.

Perhaps 'Freelance Design Consultant' would do. Stupid AIA/ARE exams. I guess I should take this as my sign that I just need to hack up the $2000 and just do it. I was really just hoping to get a job somewhere that would pay for them.

Oct 28, 10 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

Steven Ward, maybe the Archinect server has some Y2K bug and once you reach 10000 comments it freaks out.

Oct 28, 10 9:25 pm  · 
 · 
Obstsalat

Steven Ward, I will be anxiously tracking your post numbers, to see if they ever go above 9999. Fascinating.

Oct 28, 10 9:49 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

The State of New Mexico is pretty clear on what you can and can't call yourself. Luckily, they seem to let unlicensed 'draftsmen' do a whole hell of a lot.

§61-15-2.F "“intern architect” means any person who is actively pursuing completion of the requirements for diversified training in accordance with rules of the board; "

To stay legal eagle and comply with your states laws (I think you live in New Mexico?)--

I'd just call myself a contractual or independent intern architect-- because New Mexico won't really allow any variation on the title.

A. "architect" means any individual registered under the Architectural Act to practice architecture;

B. "architectural services" means the services, as defined by rule of the board, performed in the practice of architecture. These services include predesign services, programming or planning, providing designs, drawings, specifications, other technical submissions, administration of construction contracts, and coordination of any documents of technical submissions prepared by others and such other professional services as may be necessary to the planning, progress and completion of any architectural services.

So, really... that's pretty much it. Seems like you can't even do floor plans, site plans or basic design services without a supervising architect (at least independently) unless the services deal with residential and commercial properties (wood-framed) less than 2 stories and less than 4 units.

Oct 28, 10 9:49 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory
So, really... that's pretty much it. Seems like you can't even do floor plans, site plans or basic design services without a supervising architect (at least independently) unless the services deal with residential and commercial properties (wood-framed) less than 2 stories and less than 4 units.

That makes sense. I wouldn't begin to take on a project bigger than that on my own anyway. Nor do I expect a project of that size will just land in my lap. If so, I guess I can use it as my ticket to a job, as someone suggested on a different forum. Thus far I've helped someone remodel their bathroom and I'm doing a small office remodel that is really more of a paint and carpet job. The bathroom gig already had a contractor that the client had worked with previously so that allowed me to pass off accountability to the contractor.

I'm thinking I am just going to go with 'Freelance Designer'. It's pretty generic so no one gets offended and at the same time allows the recipient to ask "what does that mean?"

It's funny that New Mexico has such strict laws considering what passes as "habitable" in some areas.

Oct 28, 10 10:02 pm  · 
 · 
Milwaukee08

My first though was already posted by Donna, put your degree on there.

John Doe

Master of Architecture
Bumbletown University

Oct 28, 10 10:26 pm  · 
 · 
randy1

the truth works!

"architectural draftsman" nothing more;nothing less!

be honest and you will succeed.

Oct 29, 10 8:06 am  · 
 · 
olaf design ninja

Your name and company and your position at your company
If you are going to survive this market the ability to be anything the client wants is great, why clasify yourself? many savvy clients know an architect who is only good at code consulting and filing and usually refuses to design or do drawing or the cleints are unwilling to pay the huge upcharge for full service. Also, some people think architects can't interior design or are convinced architects no nothing about construction. To be honest I am finding its almost better to not say what you are with some clients, especially architect, it disqualifies you immediately of things ar
chitects used to do.

Oct 29, 10 8:32 am  · 
 · 
****melt

Cherith -
Ahem... as an interior designer on this forum, I think it would behoove you to look up the terms interior decorator and interior designer. They are two different things. I do more than pick out throw pillows and rugs too, thank you very much.

Oct 29, 10 8:37 am  · 
 · 
olaf design ninja

Interior decorator is an insult to an interior designer...
Part of the problem with Architect is its like just calling yourself a Doctor or Lawyer, but most Doctos clearly state what they do and there are names for different types of surgeons, lawyers says things ike corporate law, etc..

Whens the last time an Architect said - I am an Aoirport Architect, sorry I can't design houses very well and know nothing about wood framing...

You won't hear that, architects are overly confident in their skills and as my experience with clients has informed, all these guys who go in over their heads make us all look bad. If you do airports stick with airports and stop embarissing yourself.

Oct 29, 10 8:41 am  · 
 · 
olaf design ninja

Even engineers have a breakdown of types of engineers - mechanical, electrical, structural, civil, environmental, geo technical

Oct 29, 10 8:49 am  · 
 · 
On the fence

Stick with designer until you pass the exams and register.

Oct 29, 10 10:40 am  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

sorry ****melt. My experience working with 'Interior Designers' has been "Ok, here is the sample board with all of the finish materials and furniture I picked out. I need you to print me a floorplan so I can mark where this all goes and then put my redlines into the drawing because I don't know anything about AutoCAD" or "I'm really busy right now, so just pick everything out and then I will look over it and make sure it works. You know what, just use all the same materials and finishes we used on the last project and figure out where to put them based on this projects floorplan. I trust your judgment." At other offices I have worked at, we just did all the interior work ourselves (since we largely did commercial TI projects).

I'm sure though, like Architects, some are better than others.

Oct 29, 10 10:58 am  · 
 · 
vikrum

i always thought these titles are given to you by others, not one you give to yourself.......

just go with your name cherith cutestory
let your work speak for itself....
why use a thing such as a title to gloss yourself up?

Oct 29, 10 11:30 am  · 
 · 
trace™

CC Designs

We Design Buildings and Other Cool Things

Oct 29, 10 11:53 am  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

trace- I love it!

Maybe 'title' is not the right word. It's more of a 'this is what I am capable of doing' thing so that 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months later when someone sees it laying on their desk they don't go "who was this guy?"

In related news, I noticed I had called myself 'Architect' on the set of drawings I just sent out. My bad. Don't tell the big bad AIA. Guess I will be changing that to read 'Designer' on future sets.

Oct 29, 10 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

I have started a small consulting company. I call myself a consultant

Oct 29, 10 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
syp

Like mdler said, "consultant" would be a safer term.

By the way, if you had already finished you IDF, why wouldn't you take the exams?
If you focus on taking exams, it won't take long time to pass all.

Oct 29, 10 2:01 pm  · 
 · 

Cherith, sorry to nitpick but again: the AIA won't get you in trouble for calling yourself an architect, your state licensing board will.

Each state has a board that regulates practice of architecture, engineering, medicine, cosmetology, nursing, etc. If someone wants to bust you for practicing w/o a license they will report you to the state licensing board NOT the AIA.

The AIA has no governmental regulatory authority whatsoever; it's a social club that does some lobbying and is a non-profit organization (though the fact that they can't make a profit on their ridiculously high fees seems to cement the fact that most architects are crappy at business ha!).

Sorry to be a terminology nazi on this, but it's a common misconception, and I guess it's important to know WHAT laws/authorities you are violating so you can figure out how to properly work around them ;-).

Oct 29, 10 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
creativity expert

Calling yourself an Architect alone by itself can get you in trouble when someone decides to report you or as they say rat you out.

What is certain to get you prosecuted is if you actually stamp a set of drawings, because then you are actually placing lives at risk.

On an ethical level we shouldn't call ourselves Architect unless we are licensed.

I simply put my name on my card.

Oct 29, 10 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

Cherith Cutestory: Full Service.

and if they ask you what "full service" is...

Oct 29, 10 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

Thanks Donna. To me they seem like one and the same- both seem equally inaccessible and equally too expensive.

SYP: The issue with the exams is really one of expense. I know that I should do them, but I can't really find the will to study for them and actually get them done.

Oct 29, 10 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

In Ohio, where I initially got licensed..."intern architect" title can be used, when you finished all your IDP's and you submitted your NCARB to your state.

I ALWAYS used "Architectural Designer" because I knew it would not get back to the board or somehow get me in trouble! And it didn't!

I'm just curious...If you do use 'Architect' and somebody rats you out, can you say "No, not architecture...but IT Architect, or Java Architect" etc. How many job posts do you see under 'Architect' only to find out its computer and network related?

Oct 29, 10 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
creativity expert

There is a huge misconception that if you call yourself Architect you will instantly be prosecuted.

The truth is that if you stamp drawings that is the only sure way you will be prosecuted.

If you don't stamp drawings, but someone checks you out and then rats you out, well you're going to get a letter in the mail, and no poop876, telling the state that you meant to say IT services is not gonna work, I know its the government, but it would be like fooling the IRS while you are being audited for tax fraud.

I know people who have managed to keep their jobs, and their companies will pay for exams, but they wont take their exams for whatever reason.

Oct 29, 10 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

^that's good to know. I'm mystified at how one would even think to stamp drawing without a license, but I am continually amazed at people's lack of tack sometimes. I hope they used a smiley face.

This has opened a new discussion point, one that I will have to research with the local AIA/registration board, as to what point a project requires a stamp.

To embark on a different tangent and perhaps this is a question that Donna can answer, but what exactly is the relationship between the AIA the local registration boards? To me, it seems odd that there is a national organization and a local organization that seem to operate independent of one another. Realizing that each state does have it's own unique building codes, etc it seems like for things regarding standard office operations, ie the use of the 'Architect' and 'Architecture' titles, the AIA would establish rules and regulations that all states would abide by. Although I guess local and national politics don't even agree anymore and various states are pretty much doing whatever they want, so why should we be any different.

Oct 29, 10 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

"but what exactly is the relationship between the AIA the local registration boards?"

The NCARB board is comprised of 12 volunteer architects, a member of the public and an appointed executive director. Out of the 12 architects, 6 are appointed by regional boards to represent each conference.

Naturally, almost all of the board members are AIA. Now, each state has its own processes and procedures for selecting board members.

But I'm assuming since most states tend to have governors or some bureaucrat appoint them, these offices use local AIA offices or State AIA offices to hold a miniature popularity contests to select a pool of candidates for the government to pick-and-choose the best.

So, there's interconnectedness... but the AIA literally has no written rule over NCARB, federally or locally.

Oct 29, 10 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

like most things, too many people on the top with their heads up their asses.

Oct 29, 10 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
olaf design ninja

I got a letter once because I was applying with my state to take the exams and they looked at my website for the company...when you think about it that's just retarded..I was filing to take the exams and I have been around I know most people with AIA behind their names are schematic designers and paper pushers, wouldn't know a EO60xx weld from a bolt.

They shoudl allow "architectural designer" - this says you design but do not produce construction drawings or inspect work or are an expert on life and health safety issues..otherwise call yourself a designer and design everything.

Oct 29, 10 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
olaf design ninja

By the way that isn't a type of weld and if you start yelling at me for making a nonsensical statement, ok you at least have a clue...try fillet weld vs a bolt.

Eo60xx vs eo70xx is the yiled strength

Oct 29, 10 6:59 pm  · 
 · 

hm,

i guess it looks that way until you are at the top ;-)

mentioned this once before somewhere on this site, but back in canada while in undergrad 3 of us set up a rendering and model making company and somewhere on the biz cards we listed architectural illustrations as a service. One week after starting things up we had a note from the local version of AIA telling us to remove the title.

At 21 years old it was my first experience with the woolliness of the architectural bureaucracy. I can just hear some walrus moustached fellow harrumphing even now.

better to not say archi-anything until you are legally certain of the privilege.

sorry to be offering advice unsolicited but in your case i would totally be doing the exams, if i could swing it financially.

good luck with the business though. its a hard slog bringing work in, but if you can do it in this economy just imagine how easy it will be when amerika is fat and greedy again;-)

Oct 29, 10 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
LOOP!

My cards say exactly what Donna and Milwaukee08 recommend, I just have my name, my degrees underneath, phone # & email, and a little graphic underneath. People see the degrees and the sans-serif font and can infer what kind of services I offer.

Oct 29, 10 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

Well, after looking up the New Mexico regulations...

I checked out about 13 other states regulations and it looks like urban planners and designers (outside of public agencies and some not-for-profit private-public partnerships)... the scope of 'architectural' practice now includes almost basically everything a planning/urban design firm does.

And this seems like a pretty recent change to most state laws.

Looks like all I can legally do now without a licensed architect is draw street center lines and manipulate tax data!

Now do I start turning other planning firms in for practicing 'architecture' without licensed staff?

Oct 29, 10 8:36 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

jump - seriously? So I guess the distinction comes at "do you have an architectural education or not"? If YES, then you can't use the term "archi-" whatever.

If the answer is NO, then you can put "archi-" in front of anything you want.

That seems correct, right? If I am in IT, I can call myself an Information Architect. But if I have an architecture degree and am in IT, I cannot. Lovely.

Certainly many of my competition, and myself included at points, call our "renderings" "architectural illustrations". You'd have to come after an ENTIRE industry.

But seriously, I bitch about the silly names, but it doesn't really matter (I am not offering architectural services). BUT if they were to come after my business, then we'd have some trouble!!
Seriously, I'd like to see them try to stifle another industry! Fun.

The absurdity grows....

Oct 30, 10 9:44 am  · 
 · 
If I am in IT, I can call myself an Information Architect. But if I have an architecture degree and am in IT, I cannot

Nope, that's not correct - you can have an architecture degree and call yourself a software architect, because software isn't offering architectural services. The licensing laws for each state define what architectural services are. The crime is in calling yourself qualified to do something you're technically not, even if in reality you are more than able to design a safe, functional building. Remember that guy The Deck Architect? He was unregistered but designed damn good decks and patios - but the licensing board felt the services he offered were so close to designing a habitable structure that clients might be confused about his qualifications.

I don't think any states design architectural services as doing pretty drawings of buildings - so I think with "architectural illustration" you're probably safe. Granted, the entire general public thinks that what an architect "does" is "draw blueprints", but the licensing board knows the difference ;-)

Oct 30, 10 8:46 pm  · 
 · 

Yeah it was totally stupid, Trace. We were one of the few people in the city who could do CG renders and thought why not make a business out of it. This was before there were computer courses even so we thought it was an opportunity to use what we knew to pay for our archi-school, etc.

almost all the offices we approached were cool with us calling our services what they were, but one harvard trained ass figured it belittled the value of his own license. so he complained and we got a threatening letter. he complained anonymously but i ended up working for him years later and learned the truth. which was ironic.

but yeah, basically he was threatened because we were students of architecture. if we were designing computer chips it wouldna bin a problem.

Oct 30, 10 9:00 pm  · 
 · 
olaf design ninja

its quite humorous that so much effort is put into protecting a title that represents a practically useless part to the construction industry. You don't need an architect, hire a designer and an engineer and need be have that old foreign born dude who is retired stamp it if your engineer can't...oh is that why they are protecting the title, so when most your peers are retired you can get stamp happy so you to may live like you are retired?

Nov 1, 10 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

Most states, cities and townships don't require a licensed architect to design single family homes...so if you provide service, where you do design and provide construction documents, isn't that architectural service???...therefore legally can be called architectural designer or something like that?

Nov 2, 10 7:48 pm  · 
 · 
ih1542006

Call yourself a designer. Or Residential designer

From my point of view. I earned the right to use the term Architect. Which is 5 year Barch, 3 Years Internship under a licensed architect. Took all 9 parts of the exam and passed on the first try. So why would I want any person with lesser qualifications using any form of the word architect or architecture. I would not. The state board's job to protect the public from unqualified persons holding themselves out as something they are not. They don't allow any form of the word in my state to be used by unqualified persons. Simply because the public is looked at as if they are not savvy enough to distinguish between what is qualified and what is not. It is true that typically people using the term architect or any form illegally are first sent a letter to cease and desist and that takes care of it. Fines usually get real serious for ignoring the reprimand or if someone is harmed, physically or financially Being licensed means being accountable for your actions. Would you hire someone who finished law school but didn't pass the bar? Would you let someone operate on you who went to med school but didn't pass the boards?

Nov 3, 10 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

What do architects protect the public from again?

Nov 3, 10 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

Good design, affordable housing and ionic capitals, Strawbeary. ;)

Nov 3, 10 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

That's what I thought.

Nov 3, 10 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
olaf design ninja

If a lawyer could win my case without passing the bar I would hire...oh yeah in the US you can be your own counsel.
Would I let a dcotor operate on me, NO.

Architect like lawyer, paper and bullshit.
Enginner not quite doctor but less bullshit, engineer math wrong we have problem.

Architect forget ADA bathroom, who cares..architect forget fire egress building departmernt objects no build anyway. Architect no show fireproofing, inspector say no or contractor fix because they have done it before.

Ok so a small off chance the building won't be fireproofed correctly and maybe we will get a leak...architects can not and never will be important to societies health and saferty as a doctor, so don't waste your time going there.

Architects aren't lawyers either, you may write fancy cover your ass letters but don't kid yourself you didn't pass the bar either.

Nov 3, 10 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
olaf design ninja

Clarification I would only let a licensed doctor operate on me

Architecture license I like a truck driver CDL license...anyone can do it (HGTV) but you need a document that's says you can. I am sure Holmes on Homes knows a lot more about health safety and construction than 90 percent of all residential architects.

Nov 3, 10 7:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: