Archinect
anchor

Japan 3 months later

Jun 17, 11 12:40 am

i think you got the order backwards.

Jun 17, 11 2:30 am  · 
 · 

Nope, the building's, on the right with the sign, facade is still crushed from what appears to be a shed or a boat. Not to mention the dents are actually deeper in the 3 months after picture. It was taken in Miyako, Iwate prefecture.

Here's another from Otsuchi town, Iwate prefecture.

And one more.

Jun 17, 11 2:57 am  · 
 · 

amazing.  they certainly are moving fast.  what i have seen after clean up is mostly a wasteland, land scrubbed clean down to the earth, like the image with the gate.  it's impressive that so much survived in many of those images.

Jun 17, 11 10:46 am  · 
 · 

It's certainly amazing compared to how other countries cope with disaster. Katrina, as a cheap example, has never been fully cleaned up. There's still neighborhoods and buildings around ripped to shreds.

There's a pretty important bridge that goes out to one of the barrier islands that was hit by a full construction barge during a hurricane. The storm surge and winds knocked the barge into the central pylons resulting in one bridge that's about 4 degrees off center on one side.

They replaced the non-broken side with a rather lavish bridge, ran out of money and still haven't fixed the other side. The broken side is about ready to collapse and fall into the new side.

Jun 17, 11 1:17 pm  · 
 · 

i guess that is typical.  though (hopefully) not so typical for japan. 

if folks are interested, here is a you-tube post from architecture for humanity person on the ground talking about a possible reconstruction project.  the series of videos records the clean up and the plans for the future very nicely.

while i am at it, for more info on what AFH is up to in the region in general check out this link.

Jun 18, 11 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
bucku

the thing you really must remember about this clean up is that it is being performed by THE PEOPLE. there is very little, if any, government behind the operation. the people have such pride and respect for their land that they are working for themselves and their neighbors.

Jun 19, 11 10:21 am  · 
 · 

The yakuza is helping, too.

Jun 19, 11 3:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: