Archinect
anchor

Arch. Rec. top 250 Firms- why are enginnering firms called "architecture"?

pmarch

I was just looking at the latest top 250 list from Arch. Record and was wondering if anyone else think these lists are skewed to include firms that really aren't architecural firms. I see this done all the time... is there a reason im not aware of that we bunch all of the engineering firms in with architecture?

heres the address to the chart: (sorry dont know how to make it a link)

http://archrecord.construction.com/practice/top250/1007top250-1.asp

3 of the top 5 are A/E but it shows in a column on the chart that they only a small fraction of their revenue is architecture ( 9%, 14%).

Jul 13, 10 12:35 pm
LITS4FormZ

A few former top ten's aren't even in the top 50...international revenue is key

Jul 13, 10 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

Architects are being delegated to the back corners of massive engineering firms. It's a trend that I see continuing.

Knowing a few guys that work in those types of companies, I'd be more than ok with highly profitable engineering work subsidizing my job stability and paycheck.

Jul 13, 10 2:57 pm  · 
 · 

Though I did just work for a firm that was purchased by a huge Engineering outfit...

The list here is sorted by total architectural revenue, so even though these huge engineering companies did only a small fraction of their work in Architecture, the volume of that work exceeded that of the strongest 100% Architecture firms.

Jul 13, 10 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
pmarch

Im not sure what you mean by "trend"? are you saying that the big more engineering firms are going to start including some architecture as a % of their work? That could be true- but i dont think any of these firms are ever going to actually start having the majority of their work shift from one side to the other. Meaning Gensler, P&W, HOK and HKS are never going to become engineering firms and Aecom, URS, HDR are never going to be tru architecture firms.

Jul 13, 10 4:10 pm  · 
 · 

Although I am confused now...

The #36 Firm is one that I am familiar with and I know that much less than 25% of their design work is architecture... this list puts them at 79% Architecture which seems fraudulent. I'd be interested to look into their methodology, (self-reported inflated statistics?)

Jul 13, 10 4:10 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: