Archinect
anchor

Would you take a pay-cut for job you like?

Quentin

I got a job as a Business Analyst out of college. I tried looking for an arch job but just didn't have any luck. I got the business analyst job through a network connection. It's ok. I totally wouldn't want to do this as a career even though it pays really well. More than a standard arch firm would pay me. Over the past month or two I've been looking and applying for arch jobs. I started to think if I got an offer from a firm should I take a pay cut. Idk if its worth it. If I stayed in my current job field, I'm pretty sure I could make $90/100k by age 30. I know that wouldn't happen in the arch industry.

What would you do? Less money in this recession isn't the smart choice. But my passion lies in architecture, not boring business analyst stuff..........

I'm 22. Work in DC. Have a 4yr BS in arch.

Jul 6, 10 12:09 pm
Thom Yorke

Keep your job for the next 2 years or so, or go get your M.arch. Or both?

Jul 6, 10 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
erjonsn

Keep the job until you're making 90-100k. Don't be a fool and live beyond your means. Then return to architecture, maybe after getting your M.Arch?

Jul 6, 10 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
Paradox

How did you get a job as a business analyst with a BS in arch degree? If I were you I'd keep working in your field and save money for grad school if you want to get an March later on.

Jul 6, 10 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
Purpurina

I would switch with you any day!

Jul 6, 10 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
Quentin

Parad, I said I had a network-connection.

Yea, I'm staying here till I find the right opporuinty. I see a few arch jobs in the government that pay well, it's just so darn hard to get a gov job. Grad school, ughhhhh would rather not. Currently paying off the $60k I already owe undergrad (should of stayed in-state :( )

Jul 6, 10 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

I too want to know how you get a job as a business analyist. As for taking a pay cut, it all depends on your personal situation. I completely do not support the idea of pursuit of your "passion" at all costs. That said, if you don't have kids or major obligations that should come before career, by all means do what you want to do. I'd suggest about getting used to a decreased standard of living and the high potential of being unemployed for extended periods of time now and again in Architecture. Also remember that you are young. By the time you are 30 there's a good chance you might want that $100k salary. When I was 22 making a small income wasn't that big of a deal to me, relatively speaking. Today I have a lot more need for a high salary than before and wish there were more flexibility in the current market to get a higher paying job.

Jul 6, 10 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
patrickjl

I did take a pay-cut for a new job. It was a strategic decision as I saw that I was going nowhere in my current position. My new job had better benefits, and a much, much better position for advancement. Also, the projects were much more interesting. In my first job I was basically a CAD monkey/office bitch working on McMansions and funeral homes. My new job gave me a chance to be more involved on the team and therefore gain actual useful experience. Seeing my pay cut was not fun...and even after switching three years ago I'm earning just barely under what my salary was at my last job, I'm still glad I made the switch.

Jul 13, 10 6:07 pm  · 
 · 

Architecture is not the profession to hustle and make a lot of money. It's a fact, however, it can afford you a comfortable living.

Regardless of which choice you make, don't expect to do one and expect the reward of the other. Pick one and don't look back. A lot of youthful energy will be wasted if you plan for a "switch" in the future.

Jul 13, 10 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
binary

keep your current job, stack your chips... get a builders license and build your own small scale projects... get published..then do freelance design...and keep your current job

Jul 13, 10 11:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: