Archinect
anchor

Non-Cementitious Structural Fastening Systems (How's that for arch speak?)

Distant Unicorn
I'm not doing any sort of contractual work for anyone. Throwing this out there. This is for curiosity and to add some details to my portfolio.

I'm curious to know if there's any particular fastening systems out there other than the 'standard.' I'm not sure if this is within the realm of architecture or engineering. I figure I would ask.

I'm pretty familiar with wood and concrete (and by no means an expert).

I know when it comes to metal frame structures-- there's two basic options: Continuous (welds, adhesives,) and discrete (bolts, screws and rivets).

But are there any more options than this? Any favorites? Any examples?

Jul 4, 10 3:06 am
holz.box

i would say the facade of zumthor's kunsthaus bregenz is non-standard...

slate walls can be laid on hooks or clips, for a non-standard application as well...

specific applications i really like are the allston branch library

JSA's tautra mariakloster

although neither of these are necc. structural applications...

Jul 4, 10 4:24 am  · 
 · 

man those are some beautiful images holz

Jul 4, 10 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

An I-beam has an "I" cut into the center of the beam. Each Flap is folded perpendicular to the beam in opposite directions.

Two rectangular tubes are slide into the void created by cutting a prying the middle of the I-beam. These two beams are spot welded together.

Additionally, brackets are added to the top and bottom of each beam and spot welded.

It is finished off with structural bolts and adhesive.

Here's an idea I adapted from woodworking. Have no idea what I am doing. That's life, right?

Jul 5, 10 11:44 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

UG, elegant, if not complicated. folding the web, it would seem, is nearly, if not altogether impossible. even the first cut would be insane to do. i would imagine that a structural guy would have a difficult time doing this without some stiffeners, but i would think the loads will determine a lot of that. even if it could be this simple, the reality is that the cost of doing this, extraordinary.

in theory, i like it though, some further iterations perhaps?

Jul 6, 10 8:30 am  · 
 · 

nice try UG.

steel is not normally connected that way, though it looks kinda cool. there are not so many images of steel connections on the google machine, but quite a few books that might point you in right direction if you are interested in how steel structures go together. google books has quite a lot of those.

its interesting how a nice white rendering makes anything look quite proper.

Jul 6, 10 8:40 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

yeah, that would be a lot of wasted money.

it's easier/cheaper to just weld on a tab/flange and bolt directly through it. plus, your system doesn't really allow as much tolerance.

Jul 6, 10 8:54 pm  · 
 · 
interstitial

E. Fay Jones - T

Jul 6, 10 11:21 pm  · 
 · 
interstitial

Thorncrown Chapel

Under Construction

Today -

Jul 6, 10 11:30 pm  · 
 · 
interstitial

one more try -

Jul 6, 10 11:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: