Archinect
anchor

IDP 6-Month Rule...How Long did U Put it OFF & Is U Gonna Make IT?

MysteryMan

I put off IDP for 23 years. AND I am so glad that I did. I missed having to do everything on paper, bothering former employers & wasting a lot of time by going straight to the e-EVR....now, let's hope that NCARB doesn't pull any fast ones.

So, I challenge anyone else to beat my record of 23 years - let's hear about some of your IDP triumphs & nightmares. If you DID hold out longer than me, GAWD Bless yer sorry, procrstinatin' axx!

Jun 27, 10 1:03 pm
Cherith Cutestory

Hard to beat. I would have had to start working when I was 5 in order to beat that record.

What I will say to everyone, based on my recent experience, is that it is going to take NCARB MONTHS before they give the final approval on your record. It was about 11 weeks before they finally reviewed mine and only because I called repeatedly until someone finally took care of it. So make sure you discuss what you are submitting with your supervisor so there are no surprises which would result in an unfortunate rejection of hours.

Jun 27, 10 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

It feels like I started when I was 5!
Anyway, to clear up some mis-info out there: If you get your hours into the eEVR system before July1, your hours are 'protected' from Supervisor, or NCARB delays. So, while you shouldn't accept those delays, you'll be OK.

Check the eEVR website here: http://www.ncarb.org/Experience-Through-Internships/Maintaining-Participation/Six-Month-Rule.aspx

And I think I'm seeing my first subittals go into their 8th week, so I'm expecting 11 weeks or more for the turnaround of hours.

Jun 27, 10 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

it took me less than 24 hours to turn around 3 years of work...

Jun 27, 10 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

^ recently? Supposedly NCARB is "backed up" which is why they need us to pay them more money.

Jun 27, 10 3:59 pm  · 
 · 

i talked to NCARB on the phone, and as long as you log on e-EVR before the deadline you should be fine.

supervisor approval, transcripts, etc. after the deadline is fine so long as there are no hiccups.

i put mine off for 6 years and I have waited until the last week.

Jun 27, 10 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

my supervisor approved within 24 hours, showing as accepted by ncarb

Jun 27, 10 9:28 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Yeah, I think it comes down to dilligent Supervisors - mine have all been great - they usually submit w/in a day or two thanks to the eEVR (I'd better watch it, sounds like I'm complimenting NCARB - the jury's still out on them).

Jun 27, 10 10:19 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

wasn't a supervisor issue. Mine all approved within the same day. It just took over 2 months for NCARB to issue the "final approval" of my record (instead of the provisional approval) which enables me to transmit my record to the local chapter, which I was all excited about it until I realized that when you do that you have to pay the remainder of the NCARB fee (since I initially registered as a student for $100). Considering I can't really afford exams right now anyway I think it will just stay at NCARB for a while.

Jun 27, 10 10:55 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

So has anyone had IDP credits rejected? If so, What was their excuse?

I'm of the mind that they're getting a bit (or more) slammed w/ submittals - maybe this is a good thing for everyone?

Jun 29, 10 9:24 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

The whole thing is a fucking joke. More than half the people I know did not put in the hours they said they did.

Jun 29, 10 9:55 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Just as long as NCARB accepts what we all submit.

Jun 29, 10 10:41 pm  · 
 · 
Blazn

My buddy just told me he was rejected. He procrastinated as many of us do while we work 60 hrs a week, get married and have kids after school. He waited 12 years submitted all hours and was rejected because he didn't sign up for Ncarb before July 09'. Since he wasnt signed up, he didnt know that. He is a great designer, and is really the "Architect" on all projects. NCARB told him he was SOL.. they sent his money back and now he'll never be registered. Realize, ncarb rules and he procrastinated, but I'm sure were going to lose many potential good Architects through this process!. I told him to go be a carpenter or job site sweeper because they make more money anyhow!!

Jul 7, 10 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
justavisual

isnt there some rule with X (10?) yrs of experience you can just take the exams? no ncarb needed?

or did they nix it too?

Jul 7, 10 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
binary

ncarb took it all....most states have ncarb running the game now....

Jul 7, 10 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
Blazn

Ncarb is running it now but States still know how to manipulate it. I live in the St. Louis metro area while I am an IL.. resident. I have a bachelors from an unacredited school. IL. allows me to test but I have to double Ncarb units. Mo. allows me to test w/o doubling but doesnt allow reciprocity from Il. So if I want my license I have to test in Mo. and get reciprocity in Il. whith double Ncarb units. its all messed up!!! unfortunately So. IL Univ. (2nd biggest arch school in IL.) cant seem to get accredited.!! back to the story, they need to have some kind of grandfather clause...

Jul 8, 10 9:55 am  · 
 · 
zen maker

IDP existed 23 years ago! wow, I thought it was much easier to become architect back then... I guess I was wrong...

Jul 8, 10 5:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: