Archinect
anchor

structure for house in hill

cmrhm

Several days, I drove by chicago suburb and found there are alot of single house site on a small artificial hill. I just wonder what happened if those soil erodes after sth happened like flooding.

Does this kind of house still use similar size of footing if it is designed in a plain field? I guess at least deeper would be a logic solution.

Jun 24, 10 11:15 am
drums please, Fab?

in cali we do caissons to bedrock, baby ~ big bucks boo-ya !!

Jun 24, 10 11:24 am  · 
 · 
dml955i

correct - typical spread footings do not work on steep hillsides. gotta go with caissons/auger cast piles. big bucks is right...

Jun 24, 10 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

auger cast piles, but if designed right ya don't need tooooooo many.

Jun 24, 10 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

i'm not sure, but i think you would use auger cast piles/caissons

Jun 24, 10 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

Auger cast piles or even Caissons! I can't image they use this in Chicago. But if I build my house on the hill, these kind of foundation sounds logical to me.

The houses I saw have basements, this helps them to use less cost foundation too.

Jun 24, 10 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

well of course auger cast piles or caissons would depend on the soil conditions and it's possible your concerns about erosion could be handled with a product like geogrid to stabilize the hillside.

Jun 24, 10 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

Thanks farc.

Is ther any book talking about the structure for the house Being
built in hill/mountain?

Jun 24, 10 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
mespellrong

I have a manual published by the university of Minnesota in 1979 called "Earth Sheltered Housing Design: Guidelines, examples, and references" that I picked up at a used book store that has great guidelines for just about anything you might consider of that sort.

Jun 24, 10 10:49 pm  · 
 · 
mespellrong
here it is on amazon
Jun 24, 10 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

mespellrong: Thanks for the recommendation.

All:
I think for Chicago and Midwest, I should use berm instead of hill.

Jun 25, 10 1:37 am  · 
 · 
cmrhm

hi, mespellrong:

I found this book. But it is more about under-earth building than building on the hill or slope.

I found there is a book called "Hillside Homes: 208 Sloping-Lot & Multi-Level Designs : 1000 to over 5,500 Square Feet". But I guess it just contains plans and eles.

Jun 28, 10 12:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: