Archinect
anchor

Underemployment

JoeyD

We have the Employment thread, the layoff thread, how about an under-employment thread; Is anyone currently underemployed in Architecture at 3/4 capacity, salary cuts, benefits lost, doing office clerical work or the ubiquitous cad detail library? I'm curious to see how many of us employed Architects are "fully employed".

I'll start, 20% paycut and salary freeze going on 3rd year now since late 2007.

Jun 22, 10 10:34 am
shellarchitect

24 hrs a week for the past two months. started masters program at LTU, so keeping busy. if not for that I'd be pretty bored.

Jun 22, 10 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
outthere

laid off .. new job is 10% cut from previous job.. office slowed down ..now doing office clerical work + mindless drafting work for coworker ...been here 18 months and itching for a raise ..but cant ask because of how slow we are

underemployed as of 5 months ago

Jun 22, 10 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
atsama

still working 40 hrs/wk, but at a 10% salary cut (was cut in early 09, so 1.5 yrs of this).

Jun 24, 10 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
grid

Working 20-30 hrs a week. Trying to do things on the side to keep busy.

Jun 24, 10 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

i received a partnership in a smaller sized firm just as the downturn began. As a partner the majority of income is based on the amount of income the firm receives, thus in the past six months i have been decreasing my income by tens of percents to keep staff.

although the depths of the recession seem to be behind us the tide of work has not returned to a level that allows for sustained business. it is troubling to know that over the period of six months my firm has been halved due to tight lending strategies of lending firms.

The current fabric of job types has also changed over the past two years. As the gluttony of large fees for large and complicated projects decreased, the small infill projects that kept my staff busy between submittals increased. The idea of a firm that has a base of small, quick turn around projects is troubling. A backlog of projects that have fees under 20k and deadlines under 1.5 months gives no reassurance. if the phone does not continue to ring with a steady stream of work i can only promise employment for another 2 months.

That being said, i love being an architect.

Jun 25, 10 4:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: