Archinect
anchor

IDP + Volunteer Work timing?

l0sts0ul

I am still working on my Category A section... I still have a bit to go with IDP and with this economy who knows when I will finish! So I was curious if I can knock out the Volunteer section for now? It will sure beat sitting on my bum all day doing nothing.

Or do I have to complete all the other categories before I can enter Volunteer work?

Jun 17, 10 2:13 am
holz.box

i did concurrently, but i'm pretty sure you can knock out whenever, just make sure there is a link to a licensed arch to get signed off (e.g. AWB, etc)

Jun 17, 10 4:09 am  · 
 · 
Thom Yorke

To my knowledge there is no order as to how you fulfill each category. Personally I found playing in the company softball charity tournaments knock out quite a few of those volunteer hours... because softball takes forever.

Jun 17, 10 9:14 am  · 
 · 
DisplacedArchitect

does this help?
from the ncarb site
Definition
Interns will find that voluntary participation in professional and community activities enhances their professional development. Such activities will increase your understanding of the people and forces that shape society, as well as augment your professional knowledge and skills. Community service does not have to be limited to architecturally related activities for you to receive these benefits.

Core Competencies
At the completion of your internship, you should be able to:

* contribute your talents responsibly in a traditional or nontraditional community-based organization with the goal of helping to improve the quality of life in the community

Jun 17, 10 11:27 am  · 
 · 
l0sts0ul

so DisplacedArchitect... does that mean I have to do it concurrently?

Jun 17, 10 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
Thom Yorke

what is giving you the notion that you have to fulfill all other areas before starting volunteer hours? c'mon man!

Jun 17, 10 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
outthere

You dont have to do it sequential but i do believe you have to be employed under the direct supervision of an architect, even for the volunteer part of it ..so the question now is ...are you employed?

Jun 17, 10 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
l0sts0ul

Not employed currently. Trying to squeeze lemon juice out of lemons right now.

Why the supervision of an architect? Why does he have to sign off on it? Wouldn't be the supervisor of the place of the volunteer work have to sign off on it instead?

Jun 17, 10 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
mespellrong

I did it first, and completed it by starting a not-for profit that has nothing to do with design. The supervisor was the member of our team we elected as the board president, and a doctor.

Jun 17, 10 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
DisplacedArchitect

I designed and prepared working drawings, revit model , phisical model, and files, for my cousins church, so far they are saving up the money to make it happen, later on if they get a licensed architect they will be telling him or her to base it off of my model.

I only did this after getting a couple of years experience. I worked on it once a week and i would just count the hours i put on it and then i'd get my hours signed off simple as that. you could do it at the same time as your other areas that you will be doing at an office daily, after all you will practically be living at the office you work at, so community service could only happen on the weekend or if your brain is still functioning after 8 hours of staring at files.

good luck

Jun 18, 10 11:53 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

I remember reading thatt NCARB won't allow credit for unpaid work. Dunno how they can rationalize that, esp w/ regard to Vol work

Jun 27, 10 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
DisplacedArchitect

What? ...

Why would anyone pay you for Voluntary work?

Jun 27, 10 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

What I mean is that you can't get credit for IDP if you're working gratis for a firm, etc. In this environment, IDP screws you if you're doing activities that may be relevant to your career while unemployed. Talk about kicking someone while down!

So, I was saying that if you're doing Vol work while not employed, you might not be able to count that as activity under an employer. Maybe IDP Codes 16 or 17 (OtherActivities) allow for this? Because surely they wouldn't require you to be employed just to get credit for volunteering.

Jun 27, 10 9:32 pm  · 
 · 
archidad09

When in doubt, call NCARB at ask about your situation. However...Straight from the NCARB FAQ -

http://ncarb.org/FAQs/IDP/IDP20-12.aspx

Will interns be able to earn training hours if they are unemployed?

Yes, IDP 2.0 has several provisions that will allow unemployed interns to earn training hours for qualified certification and continuing education programs.

Back to my own words....More specifically, this includes work settings F (basically a full time instructor at a NAAB school) and FF (Professional and Community Service). In addition you can earn AIA CEU hours, EPC hours, hours for LEED AP, CSI Certification, etc. See...

http://ncarb.org/Experience-Through-Internships/Meeting-NCARB-Experience-Requirements/Work-Settings/Unemployed-Options.aspx

Even for work setting FF you still identify an "employer" (the organization you volunteered for) and a "supervisor" (someone who can say, yes you were there...a committee chair, the Habitat volunteer coordinator, the teacher in the classroom you volunteered in, etc.) I checked this via phone call to NCARB this week. As far as I've been lead to believe, since the options for FF are so broad, the supervisor in this setting does not need to be licensed. It's something I'll call about next week (after the 6 month rule crunch is over) to double check. However, I don't think you're expected to hunt up a licensed architect w/i your church group.

I've turned in volunteer and supplementary ed hours in throughout IDP and haven't received any kind of warning saying that it's not allowed. I can't imagine that since it doesn't matter what order you do A, B & C in that it would matter for D. I've always

Jun 29, 10 12:46 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: